Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TdF Stage 7 - Friday July 10 - 224 km - Barcelona (Spain) → Arcalis (Andorra)

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TdF Stage 7 - Friday July 10 - 224 km - Barcelona (Spain) → Arcalis (Andorra)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 07:57 PM
XTR

Bikes: Cannondale Delta V 2000, C-dale SuperV Active, Bridgestone RB-1, Colnago Master, Izalco Pro 4.0, Carbon Superfly 100

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Ventoux is a cliff.

I'm in the camp that thinks that Astana drags the peloton at a pace that blows it apart, then they let LA get the yellow for a few days. (before he gives it up to Contador for the win)
Old 07-09-09, 08:13 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a sucker for the long shot so here goes: David Moncoutie becomes the oldest rider ever to win at Arcalis.
Old 07-09-09, 08:13 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a crazier prediction... Bernard Hinault will appear out of nowhere, provoke Cancellara with a couple of glares and barks, and proceed to attack Astana riders mercilessly... one by one!
Old 07-09-09, 08:37 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
I'm still sticking my neck out and saying that Astana doesn't want to defend the jersey this early. I have been wrong before....many times, and this will probably add to the list!
i don't know if they have a choice... there's fabian then there's 4 astana guys... unless cancellara keeps up with them, one of the astana team will be in yellow tomorrow, and i doubt they are going to let their pace be determined by fabian.
Old 07-09-09, 08:48 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xfimpg
Here's a crazier prediction... Bernard Hinault will appear out of nowhere, provoke Cancellara with a couple of glares and barks, and proceed to attack Astana riders mercilessly... one by one!

THAT was good. Then he'd say he was doing it to help the ones he crushed.

I don't have a favourite, I just like watching the race. If I had to choose, I'd go with Garmin because they have the Lone Canuck. Go Ryder, keep your team in there buddy!
Old 07-09-09, 09:07 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsuru

THAT was good. Then he'd say he was doing it to help the ones he crushed.

That would be Bernard, alright. lol

Imagine for a minute that he would be participating in this race... he would be the only who could play in LA's head.
Old 07-09-09, 09:08 PM
Eljimberino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yeah, evans, kloden, menchov & levi are all at the same climbing level-consistently. 5 bucks says all four finish
within 15 seconds of each other.
what is with the levi loving? he cant climb for crap.
Old 07-09-09, 09:08 PM
xfimpg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have a favourite, I just like watching the race. If I had to choose, I'd go with Garmin because they have the Lone Canuck. Go Ryder, keep your team in there buddy!
+1
Too bad Sven Tuft didn't make the cut.
Old 07-09-09, 09:30 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,210 Times in 1,730 Posts
Eljimberino
yeah, evans, kloden, menchov & levi are all at the same climbing level-consistently. 5 bucks says all four finish

well, he wasn't too bad in the 2007 tour, held his own in the 2008 vuelta and was semi-decent
in the 2009 giro. he rises to the occasion once in a while but falls off just often enough to warrant
doubt as a super-climber. who exactly would be classified as a super-climber these days?
contador, sastre and the schlecks are the likely suspects. all other climbers have a
fantastic day (or two) to temporarily cement their reputation as the next big thing or the best.
then...they disappear for the remainder of the gt to maybe reappear next season. maybe.
Old 07-09-09, 09:46 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOL... i was swearing i saw his name this year... well that's life... my bad

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Since we're talking about guys who aren't in the race, I'm thinking Basso, DiLuca and Ricco will all be tough to drop.

Definitely agree this will be a great stage to watch.

I think Pelizotti will be in the mix with his Liquigas compadres, Nibali and Kreuziger.

Astana in yellow tomorrow night. Question is, Lance or Alberto?
Old 07-09-09, 09:56 PM
Eljimberino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eljimberino

well, he wasn't too bad in the 2007 tour, held his own in the 2008 vuelta and was semi-decent
in the 2009 giro. he rises to the occasion once in a while but falls off just often enough to warrant
doubt as a super-climber. who exactly would be classified as a super-climber these days?
contador, sastre and the schlecks are the likely suspects. all other climbers have a
fantastic day (or two) to temporarily cement their reputation as the next big thing or the best.
then...they disappear for the remainder of the gt to maybe reappear next season. maybe.
And where does Kloden's recent form suggest he's as good as Evans?
Old 07-09-09, 10:06 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
LOL... i was swearing i saw his name this year... well that's life... my bad
Sorry to be a bit snarky there. He rode in the Giro this year, and wasn't in great form. His team wasn't invited this year because of the doping positive at last year's tour.
Old 07-10-09, 12:27 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by Eljimberino
And where does Kloden's recent form suggest he's as good as Evans?
i suppose we'll find out soon enough. it's time to be or not to be.
Old 07-10-09, 01:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

expecting a flock of flyweight spanish climbers-known & unknown-to attack before & during the last climb.
whether or not zubeldia, sastre & half of teams caisse d'espargne and euskatel are among them...
should astana attack first to control the race? yes. if they do so, the gc contending teams are likely to
fall in line at least for today. good thing half the teams have no chance of a podium place unless it's
the kom. these kom teams should make today's stage a little more chaotic. hoping for atrocious weather
to further muddy everybody's plans. always love a mountain stage filled with disinformation and
uncertainty.
Old 07-10-09, 02:31 AM
meb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thor will try and get the Green via the first intermediate sprint.

Might be a day Pierro tries to get a stage win on a stage mostly on home soil-he's too far back on GC so maybe he'll try and get the polka dots.
Old 07-10-09, 06:19 AM
ericy
Seņor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hocker
It is steep enough to crack Chancellara. A split between Lance and AC is what everybody is waiting to find out. It's a mountain top finish, so there's potential for large gaps. Should be great, can't wait.
I am guessing that AC and LA will cross the line at the same time. Right now, LA doesn't need any more time on AC - all he needs to do is suck wheel. If AC wants to win, he will have to drop LA, but if LA has been drafting all day, he will in theory have more energy..

We will know in a few hours...
Old 07-10-09, 06:29 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just joined in.... Nice little 11+ min for the leading group, eh? Any GC's in there?
Old 07-10-09, 06:32 AM
ericy
Seņor Member

Just joined in.... Nice little 11+ min for the leading group, eh? Any GC's in there?
I don't think so. The lead was up to 14 minutes at one point earlier..
Old 07-10-09, 06:34 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just checked on https://gaps.letour.fr/us.html & yeah, no names I recognize (not that that says much, lol). Excited to see the descent coming up, and of course the climb... AAND to maybe see someone else in green! =o
Old 07-10-09, 06:36 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, the people at these summits, eh? I think it would wig me out to have these guys all up in my business running along making the road about a meter wide. Ugh. MOOOOOVE!!!!

lol.
Old 07-10-09, 06:46 AM
ericy
Seņor Member

Man, the people at these summits, eh? I think it would wig me out to have these guys all up in my business running along making the road about a meter wide. Ugh. MOOOOOVE!!!!

lol.
I figure the fans have been there all day long and are as drunk as a skunk. Someday I think it would be fun to go there and experience it all. You would need a radio or TV so you could follow it all before the race got to you though.

My wife doesn't get this sport though . She wanted to watch qualifying for Asscar last night. What other sport is so over-hyped that they televise practice and qualifying?
Old 07-10-09, 06:48 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol! Asscar.....

Pelotons going through the crowds now. Oof, tight squeeze! They said it's MUCH busier at the finish. I hope the Tour clears the road a little so there's no accidents.
Old 07-10-09, 06:58 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to agree with Phil on this one..... Astana is definitely acting like they have the yellow with the way they've been controlling the Peloton. Interesting, eh? Saxo's probably juuuuuust fine with that.
Old 07-10-09, 07:00 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm with you on this one... after like 12 years married wifey still can't understand how the winner of the whole race is picked... the funny thing is that she can understand lab stuff to create the hulk in your own home. Probably is because she doesn't give a darn about cycling ... the nice is that i can watch the race no problems, so im in a better position than ericy

Originally Posted by ericy
I figure the fans have been there all day long and are as drunk as a skunk. Someday I think it would be fun to go there and experience it all. You would need a radio or TV so you could follow it all before the race got to you though.

My wife doesn't get this sport though . She wanted to watch qualifying for Asscar last night. What other sport is so over-hyped that they televise practice and qualifying?
Old 07-10-09, 07:09 AM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From Velonews live feed.

In case you're wondering, Rinaldo Nocentini (Ag2r) is the current leader on the road, having started his day in 32nd place, at 3:13. He is the highest placed rider in the break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.