Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 500 quick review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Edge 500 quick review

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 04:35 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scirocco
What do people that have tried one think of the display? I looked at a few YouTube videos and it seems like a great device. but there is a lot of white space on the screen. The number font seems quite skinny and cramped. Is it easy enough to read?
It is easy enough for me to read it. You can have up to 8 different items per page, with 3 different pages. (It might do more pages -- haven't explored it enough, but 3 pages is quite enough for my needs.)

Mine is set up with 8 items per page, and I mostly use 2 pages (at least so far). Page 1 has speed, distance, cadence, heart rate, % grade, time of day, temp, and calories burned. Page 2 has basically cadence and heart rate (with averages for each), along with time of day and average speed. Page 3 is ascent and descent data, with speed, etc.

I'll probably change things around, but my thinking was to have more training specific items on pages 2 and 3. If I want to work on cadence more, I'll go to page 2. If I want to work on climbing more, page 3.
Old 01-31-10, 04:39 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal Dancer
Anybody who owns a 500 know how to get the maximum heart rate displayed in the HR Zones menu to reflect your max heart rate. Since I set the unit up it shows it as 185 and that is not my max heart rate. I've also inputted my max heart rate on Garmin Connect and it still won't change on my unit when I send the settings to the device. Anyone have experience with this? Thx
Seems like when you change it thru Garmin Connect, it mainly affects how it does the graphs on there. But I think I changed mine on the unit. It was in one of the settings. The different menus seemed confusing at first, but the more I played with it, the more logical it actually was. Try the 'Settings', or set it up to do the Initial Setup on the next powerup. I think that will get you to the proper place to change that setting.
Old 01-31-10, 04:58 PM
Pedal Dancer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Mr. T. I had to update the firmware and then it allowed the unit to be updated with the settings in GC.
Old 02-02-10, 09:12 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I picked up my 500 yesterday. In less than 24 hours I've loaded mapmyride maps as courses through garmin's training center, which converts the tcx files to fit. My rides today were short, familiar and in the rain so there was no need to follow course directions. We'll see how that works tomorrow.

My data fields are currently cadence, speed, time of day and temp. I am not really concerned with an inundation of realtime data so a tach and speedo is fine, however I do want to study the data later to evaluate my progress and performance.

My question, for anyone out there, is what programs provide the best analysis of all these numbers?
Old 02-02-10, 09:19 PM
tspek
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droobieinop
Ok, I picked up my 500 yesterday. In less than 24 hours I've loaded mapmyride maps as courses through garmin's training center, which converts the tcx files to fit. My rides today were short, familiar and in the rain so there was no need to follow course directions. We'll see how that works tomorrow.

My data fields are currently cadence, speed, time of day and temp. I am not really concerned with an inundation of realtime data so a tach and speedo is fine, however I do want to study the data later to evaluate my progress and performance.

My question, for anyone out there, is what programs provide the best analysis of all these numbers?
If you're not using a powermeter, I would say you should just use Garmin connect.
Old 02-06-10, 11:19 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine will be here monday... 305 gave up the ghost about a month ago... been using my powertap headunit since.. and hate that I can't download my ride elevation/course/map data.. sporttracks, i'll be back!! now i hope the roads are clear of snow for a monday ride...
Old 02-06-10, 11:49 PM
cervelo-van

Bikes: Cervelo R3, P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grwoolf
Santa brought me a new Garmin Edge 500 today and I gave it a quick test today.

I've been using a Forerunner 305 and the Edge 500 has a pretty similar set of features, but in a bike-specific package that also supports power (on my wish list for the coming year).

I installed one today on my new P2C. I have the EDGE 705 on my other bikes. Like the size of the 500. Easy to set up. There is a bit of an issue with the sensors as given the tight tolerances on the tri bikes chainstays, its hard to get the magnets right. The fitter at the LBS told me that not a lot of people use Garmin on tri bikes as a result. We shall see how this works.
Old 02-07-10, 08:54 PM
sAw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edge 500

grwoolf...

Can you confirm for me if "Virtual Partner" is available with this unit?
In the online manual it says on pg:14,16 it is available, but on a few reviews around the net it says it is not included with this model.
Thanks,
Old 02-07-10, 09:10 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sAw
grwoolf...

Can you confirm for me if "Virtual Partner" is available with this unit?
In the online manual it says on pg:14,16 it is available, but on a few reviews around the net it says it is not included with this model.
Thanks,
I've never used it, but it seems to. I can bring up a course and it has some fields for time/distance ahead, so I assume this is like riding against a prior ride.
Old 02-07-10, 09:30 PM
sAw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks.
Old 02-07-10, 10:22 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo-van
The fitter at the LBS told me that not a lot of people use Garmin on tri bikes as a result. We shall see how this works.
That's a huge pile of BS... Mine is on my P2C..... with no problems....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
305 tri bike.jpg (91.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
crop p2c.jpg (48.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by WxGuesser; 02-07-10 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 08:07 AM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not that many rides in with my 500 yet (just got it last monday and broke a tooth on thursday, only one ride since), but yes it does have the VP as part of the courses feature.

However, I and others have experienced a lockup while using courses. In my case, I think I was asking too much of the new programing before the clocking. This is apparently a common problem that garmin is aware of and it is being addressed as per the garmin edge 500 forums, go sign up, if you haven't already and share your experiences with garmin.

I'd like to see turn by turn directions, which is shown in the manual, but I didn't notice this while using the course, the one time I used it last week (prior to clocking).

It seems to be that these, and other issues, are firmware related and will be worked out as more users offer their input and feature requests.
Old 02-08-10, 09:27 AM
8Lives

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enjoi07
im wondering if this is the computer for me. i just want to be able to download all my data to the mac and not have to write it in a log anymore, have everything organized better. i cant help but feel the edge 500 is not worth it unless you are planning on using a power device.

what are the advantages of this computer over my strata wireless, especially if i am not using power. am i just paying an extra $200 over my strata solely for the ability to download data to my computer?
For the Mac, Ascent ( https://montebellosoftware.com ) rocks.