Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stupid question thread, I'll start...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stupid question thread, I'll start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 07:00 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was thinking about something today and then saw this thread - perfect! So my stupid question is why the drive side is almost universally on the right? I have a feeling that it has something to do with horses

-G
Old 04-30-12, 07:23 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 121 Posts
It probably has to do with threading standards more than horses.
Old 04-30-12, 09:48 PM
woodrupjoe

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
+1
see prior page- righty/tighty: lefty/loosey
Old 04-30-12, 10:22 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 2,210 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Is there a way to gracefully stop using the leg-swing-over maneuver when wearing clipless pedals? I tried it yesterday and nearly fell. I kept my left foot on the pedal and swung my right leg over the bike and onto the left side of the bike. Right before I stopped, the twist of my body in relation to the bike caused my left foot to unclip. Oops.
Not necessarily a leg-swing-over maneuver, but try this: Unclip both cleats, slow to a walking pace, throw the bike forward and jump off the back. Just be sure to grab hold of you saddle on the way down.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 04-30-12, 11:54 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
700 c is more easily interchangeable with a stock tubular rim.

Otherwise, I think you're right...27's work fine if you put alloy
rims and good tires on them. Maybe even preferable in some
applications.

As people have accepted the idea that more speeds = better,
the rear cluster has grown from five to ten and counting.

I think I saw the first six speed rear clusters about late 70's,
but I'm told some people had them earlier. All those cogs gotta
go somewhere, thus wider spacings.
I think advances in derailleur design and the wider ranges made possible had something to do with it, too. Late 70s, early 80s seems right IME. Haven't a clue about any sizes after that.

As for the former point of rim size, as non-UK European makers became more known in the late 60s, so their preferred metric size became more common.
Old 04-30-12, 11:57 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Great idea, a thread for short sharp and stupid questions.

My question, I have an all chrome frame mostly painted now will heavy duty paint stripper damage discolor or leave marks on the chrome after stripping?
I've read in another thread that the chrome under most paint is rough on purpose for the paint to stick better. You may not want to strip the paint off...
Old 04-30-12, 11:59 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by JReade
Stupid question: what's the best way to know the bar diameter for a stem? I don't have a bar to put in it to clamp down on to know for sure. Also how to measure the stem length, from quill bolt to tip? Or?
Get yourself a Vernier gauge... you'll be glad you did
Old 05-01-12, 12:06 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Stupid question = would a Shimano 600 Arabesque crankset be anodized? How much weaker without anodizing?
On a crank the strength provided by anodisation would be negligible. On rims it can be significant.
Old 05-01-12, 12:33 AM
fiatjeepdriver

Bikes: Land Shark, Ritchey, Fat Chance, and about 19 others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a way to gracefully stop using the leg-swing-over maneuver when wearing clipless pedals? I tried it yesterday and nearly fell. I kept my left foot on the pedal and swung my right leg over the bike and onto the left side of the bike. Right before I stopped, the twist of my body in relation to the bike caused my left foot to unclip. Oops.

The only thing I can think of would be a cyclocross dismount only slowed down a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3TaKmMi9o
Old 05-01-12, 06:42 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Well put! There's no denying that bikes are inherently horse-like, though. At least I think that's why I liked bikes as a (young) child..?
Old 05-01-12, 09:58 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
You put the cone wrench on the cone and the other wrench on the axle nut, and turn them in opposite directions, toward each other, until they're nice and tight.
To be more precise: Hold the cone wrench steady, so as no to change the setting, and tighten the nut against it.

Old 05-01-12, 02:09 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's actually horses, or so I've been led to believe. Horses and swords, with a stop over at the Penny Farthing. Because Penny Farthings require that slightly ridiculous mounting method, they need a foot peg. The fact that the pegs are almost always on the left hand side, even when bikes just barely had drivetrains indicate that there must have been some other reason.
Old 05-01-12, 02:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,591 Posts
tom....I am a bit of klutz and a definite clyde....and I have never had that problem.

hopefully that 'oops' did not involve a high seat tube.

maybe a bit higher retention?

(use or have used shimon pd 6400 (look cleate), spd pedals and speedplay

Old 05-01-12, 03:19 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
On a crank the strength provided by anodisation would be negligible. On rims it can be significant.
Really?
Old 05-01-12, 04:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7396 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatjeepdriver
The only thing I can think of would be a cyclocross dismount only slowed down a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3TaKmMi9o
Ah, good! I'll practice that. Thanks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-01-12, 04:45 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by woodrupjoe
I worked in bike shops in my college years (1970s) and have always been a bike nut, but I don't recall when 700c wheels became the new standard. Why are 700c wheelsets considered an upgrade from stock 27"? I'm not sure I could tell the difference if I was riding a bike and didn't know what wheels were on it.
My other stupid question is when did rear spacing go from 120mm. to 126mm. to 130mm? I realize that it didn't happen overnight, but ballpark is OK. Just curious about that one.
I'm sure I could think of some other stupid questions, but that's enough for now. Feel free to post your own.
Feel like I dropped the ball somewhere this last couple of decades.

cheers, Joe
A 700c is not an upgrade from a 27", just an attempt to get the tire sizes more uniformed across the globe. There was a time in the 90's it was almost impossible to find a decent 27" tire, I think Nashbar was the only place that had them and they had one model a Forte. But tire manufactures have discovered that oops, there are a lot of people that have 27" wheels yet, so some have begun to remanufacture that size again. Now you can get a pretty decent quality 27" tire, Conti Gatorskin, Gatorskin Hardshell, Tour Ride, Super Sport Plus, and Ultra Sport, Schwalbe Marathon and HS159. Panaracer Pasela and Pasela Tour Guard, Michelin World Touring, and Vittoria Zaffiro; plus quite a few of low end cheap tires.

So you should be able to find a decent 27" today with no problems. Also you DO NOT have to use 27" tubes, any 700c from 18 all the way to 35mm widths will work, remember tubes expand, in fact it's better for easier tire installation to have a tube one size smaller then recommended for the tire size. I have one bike that uses 27" tires and use the same 700x18-25 tubes in it as well as my 700c tires. However, in order to use 700c tubes in a 27" rim you have to convert the rims to a presta fitting so the presta valve will fit into a 27" rim that was drilled to accept a Schrader valve called a Schrader-Presta rim hole adapter, they just press in by hand and your good to go; these adapters are cheap, less the dollar for a pair. But you can still find 27" Schrader tubes, I just don't think the quality of the Schrader tubes I saw were very good. Sunlite makes a nice puncture resistant (thick tube on the side next to the tire) that uses a Schrader but the tube is heavy.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 05-01-12 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 05:50 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, here's my 'stupid' question...

If a shorter height male rode a classic mixte frame bike as a commuter for the convenience of the step through frame, is this considered a major gaffé or faux pas?

I wonder because in other countries some models of utility bikes are considered 'unisex', and you do see men riding step through frames.

As I recall, this was the case in earlier times... comments?

Alan
Old 05-01-12, 06:13 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 2,210 Times in 570 Posts
^I'm okay with a man on a mixte (but I'm also sporting a pink shirt today).

Q1: Would you build up a bike for resale on CL using a wheelset with Maillard Helicomatic hubs?

Q2: What to you call the type of seat post that narrows at the top and has a detachable clamp (such as the old Ideale models, or sometime found on Schwinn heavyweights)?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 05-01-12, 06:51 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this may be too simple. For instance, I have a number of bikes that have splined cogs so threading is not a factor. How about the shaft drive bikes from the early 20th century, again threading is not a factor, yet the drive side was the right side.

-G
Old 05-01-12, 06:55 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
^I'm okay with a man on a mixte (but I'm also sporting a pink shirt today).

Q1: Would you build up a bike for resale on CL using a wheelset with Maillard Helicomatic hubs?

Q2: What to you call the type of seat post that narrows at the top and has a detachable clamp (such as the old Ideale models, or sometime found on Schwinn heavyweights)?
Randy,

Thanks! I dunno... to me, mixte frames look sort of elegant, in their quirky kind of way. I think with upright bars and a rack they're great looking commuters.

Q1: Only if the Helicomatic stuff was brand new, and the seller provided the combo FW wrench/ beer bottle key.

Q2: Personally, I'd call it a seat pillar instead of a seat post.

Alan
Old 05-01-12, 06:55 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodrupjoe
+1
see prior page- righty/tighty: lefty/loosey

yep, should have read the whole thread before plunging in, yet inquiring minds want to know. BTW I ain't buying the threading answer just yet.
Old 05-01-12, 07:03 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
To be more precise: Hold the cone wrench steady, so as no to change the setting, and tighten the nut against it.
Well, actually, I have to back the cone wrench counter-clockwise ever so slightly while I'm tightening the locknut. As the locknut jams the cone tight against its threads it presses it a tiny bit closer to the balls. Ten to 20 degrees of loosening while you're tightening the locknut compensates for this. Really good cone-and-axle threads need less back-off than cheapies. This is where an axle vise helps, so you know that any movement of the cone wrench is moving only the cone and not the whole axle.
Old 05-02-12, 02:55 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
OK, here's my 'stupid' question...

If a shorter height male rode a classic mixte frame bike as a commuter for the convenience of the step through frame, is this considered a major gaffé or faux pas?

I wonder because in other countries some models of utility bikes are considered 'unisex', and you do see men riding step through frames.

As I recall, this was the case in earlier times... comments?

Alan
If your a hetrosexual or a metrosexual then it's just fine to ride a mixte bike; but a true manly man doesn't dare set their legs over one.
Old 05-02-12, 05:42 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I always thought
that it was so that shorter people
could ride bikes with 700c or 27" wheels ,
testosterone aside .
Old 05-03-12, 02:56 PM
rekmeyata

A mixte frame won't be as stiff for hard acceleration so the performance of the frame will feel sluggish. But some men ride mixte frames because they have problems getting their legs over other frames due to various health or handicap problems. Shorter legs have nothing to do with it because you can get regular frames that are built small for that purpose. And you can't find a high quality mixte frame unless you buy custom, only one production bike I know of that is made decent is the Soma, but all the vintage mixte frames were cheaper tubesets and low cost components.

I was being sarcastic earlier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.