Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Improving 1 minute power

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Improving 1 minute power

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 03:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 380 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
...nobody wants the simple answer of "work at it".
Or just take this.
Old 08-05-15, 08:11 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
You will likely not have Lactate - or even Lactic Acid issues for the 1st one min power output
Having done a few kilos, and a lot of 2k's, I find this to be inaccurate. And by the way, tracks have hills. They are just very short. But you climb them at 30+ MPH.

FWIW Grolby had it right about needing something other than just 1m power. More likely you'd benefit from higher intensity short duration criss cross intervals where you're recovering at as high a wattage as you can sustain.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 08-05-15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 05:23 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if the double duty picture was intentional (hill and high intensity short duration criss cross training both shown there)
Old 08-06-15, 10:02 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10x1x1 at 150% is what i do for a one minute interval. i have no idea what im doing though and if it actually helps for anything.
Old 08-06-15, 10:50 AM
longe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the rest interval helps determine how the 1min develops. For example, a rest interval of 6min allows you to repeat very high intensity intervals (building the max output) while a 3min or less rest intervals builds the repeatability while gassed (unlikely to reach as high W output). Analogous to the difference between building max strength vs. muscular endurance.
Old 09-10-15, 10:39 AM
kmill23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
i've always managed to do well in crits despite being a diesel type. surges in crits are different from pure anaerobic efforts
I feel you guys' pain.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Capture.PNG (17.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-10-15, 11:54 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like and hate 1 min power ... hurts so much. I have ok 1 min power (~10w/kg at ~82kg), but don't do anything specific to "train" for it. When I really go hard for a minute (punchy hill, all out attack, whatever), I start to get a signfiicant tingling sensation in the fingers and toes which progresses toward the core of the body as time moves on. By the time I hit 60s or so I'm nearly all numb. Probably not ideal for the body, but it is what it is.

My guess is that we all have the ability to kick our 1 min power out an additional 50-75 watts (if not more), but aren't pushing hard enough. The only time I get that sensation mentioned above is when I'm going 100% all out for that duration. Now, what does that mean for racing and results? For me ... not too much other than I guess if I conserve like a SOB I can throw a decent 1 min attack to finish off a race (assuming no one sits on). I'd really love to have good 1 min power and quick recovery to throw a few 1 min attacks in short time.

Last edited by hack; 09-10-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-10-15, 11:58 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Having done a few kilos, and a lot of 2k's, I find this to be inaccurate. And by the way, tracks have hills. They are just very short. But you climb them at 30+ MPH.

FWIW Grolby had it right about needing something other than just 1m power. More likely you'd benefit from higher intensity short duration criss cross intervals where you're recovering at as high a wattage as you can sustain.
I wish I were closer to a track ... would like to try a kilo at some point.
Old 09-10-15, 06:42 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
And you could change your name to Track Hack
Old 09-15-15, 04:14 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Old guy that no longer races chiming in with unwanted advice here.

Except for flying kilometers there is very little in racing that is 1 minute power. There are lots of one minute efforts, but those usually start with higher power to get some separation and then settling into lower, but still high, power to consolidate the gap. Without the snap to get some separation first there is little use for one minute power unless your goal is to drag everyone up to a break just up the road.

Let me suggest 10 second intervals (do 10 with a minute in between - finish close to home) to help with the snap. Make sure your drive train is solid before attempting. Weight training can also help.

There are myriad interval schemes for the other side of one minute that will help. I would chose one that mimics what your goal is with this one minute power thing. Is it a long finishing attack or is it having the ability to attack over and over again in a race? They are different things. If the latter do one that stress quick recovery with repeats. If the earlier one look for hard efforts with long recoveries.

There is one other place where one minute power is important. It could be to get back onto the back of the pack after getting screwed with by the other idiots at the back. But in that case there are many others issues to address first.
Old 09-15-15, 05:57 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
And you could change your name to Track Hack
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 09-15-15, 06:10 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I endorse this advice. Work on VO2Max and recovery, which will also pull up your FTP when properly balanced with rest.
Old 09-15-15, 09:41 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Winner winner chicken dinner.
sack of crap hack would still apply though
Old 09-16-15, 08:53 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,838 Times in 1,593 Posts
Here is an article from Velonews on point to OP's goal.

The secret weapon: Training the deficit
There’s 20 minutes left in the race. Someone just attacked and you have to sprint to catch on. But then a precious few seconds later another attack goes up the road. We’ve all been there. Spend too much of that last 20 minutes in deficit and you’re in trouble. Fortunately oxygen deficit, like most systems, can be trained if it’s stressed. “Training oxygen deficit is the thing that a lot of people are going for now and seeing huge increases not only in VO2 max, but in submaximal performance as well,” said Pickels.

Short efforts and short recoveries
To maximize the oxygen deficit, efforts need to be short and all-out, generally 20 to 30 seconds. However, the recoveries need to be equally short to prevent anaerobic pathways from recharging. Common intervals are six to 12 repetitions of 30-30s (thirty seconds on, thirty seconds off) and 20-10s.
Old 09-16-15, 09:00 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
Here is an article from Velonews on point to OP's goal.

The secret weapon: Training the deficit
There’s 20 minutes left in the race. Someone just attacked and you have to sprint to catch on. But then a precious few seconds later another attack goes up the road. We’ve all been there. Spend too much of that last 20 minutes in deficit and you’re in trouble. Fortunately oxygen deficit, like most systems, can be trained if it’s stressed. “Training oxygen deficit is the thing that a lot of people are going for now and seeing huge increases not only in VO2 max, but in submaximal performance as well,” said Pickels.

Short efforts and short recoveries
To maximize the oxygen deficit, efforts need to be short and all-out, generally 20 to 30 seconds. However, the recoveries need to be equally short to prevent anaerobic pathways from recharging. Common intervals are six to 12 repetitions of 30-30s (thirty seconds on, thirty seconds off) and 20-10s.
Basically, the Tabata protocol. 20s on, 20s off.
Old 09-16-15, 09:02 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It works like gangbusters, make good at bike games.