Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

TdF Stage 1...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 06:37 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
infinite facepalm
Old 07-04-09, 06:50 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Nah, just the downfall of decent cycling coverage in the USA. Did other countries spend as much time on Lance as VS did, showing his entire ITT from begining to end?
Had it not been for the Lance effect we'd still be watching annual Greg Emond retrospectives on CBS Sports.
Old 07-04-09, 07:33 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I wonder how much Andy will be thanking Cancellara for putting their team in yellow. Assuming they defend, it'll mean a lot of work up front for everyone (except Andy). Will the team be ready for the mountains?

I reckon they'll let a breakaway go tomorrow and let the sprinters' teams decide if they want to reel it in or not.
Old 07-04-09, 08:35 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
i don't mean to be rude

but this statement is just naive.
Oh stop. Three weeks, 2200 miles, plenty of opportunities for anyone to crash, bonk, detonate, miscalculate, etc.

Lance may not be the fittest guy in this race. But I can assure everyone, he is the smartest guy in this race. And he's close enough to the top that yes, of course he has a chance.

Whether I'd bet on that depends on the odds I could get from the bookies. I would put Lance's chance of being on the podium as 1 in 5, his chances of winning 1 in 10 or less. But you don't write off a racer with Lance's resume completely unless you're....

naive.
Old 07-04-09, 08:49 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Oh stop. Three weeks, 2200 miles, plenty of opportunities for anyone to crash, bonk, detonate, miscalculate, etc.

Lance may not be the fittest guy in this race. But I can assure everyone, he is the smartest guy in this race. And he's close enough to the top that yes, of course he has a chance.

Whether I'd bet on that depends on the odds I could get from the bookies. I would put Lance's chance of being on the podium as 1 in 5, his chances of winning 1 in 10 or less. But you don't write off a racer with Lance's resume completely unless you're....

naive.

i thought they were talking about cancellara ?

ed rader
Old 07-04-09, 08:55 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
question: Mark Cavendish 3:20 back from the lead. Is this because he was going easy to save himself for sprinting stages? or is he really that bad at time trials? I mean he came in 4th from last of 178 riders?

Anyone have any insight?what did i miss?
Old 07-04-09, 08:58 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by erader
i thought they were talking about cancellara ?

ed rader
Oh then never mind.

Cancellera always detonates on the big climbs. Go figure.
Old 07-04-09, 08:59 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Oh then never mind.

Cancellera always detonates on the big climbs. Go figure.
And as always, get off my lawn.
Old 07-04-09, 09:01 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cav is actually a really good time trialist. I'm guessing he was just saving himself.

Stephen Roche seems to believe that Cancellara has a chance at a Top 5 finish. I agree, but I tihnk he'll be closer to the Top 20.
Old 07-04-09, 09:05 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
question: Mark Cavendish 3:20 back from the lead. Is this because he was going easy to save himself for sprinting stages? or is he really that bad at time trials? I mean he came in 4th from last of 178 riders?

Anyone have any insight?what did i miss?
He wants to maximize the number of stage wins and finish the tour by making all the time cuts. His GC time is irrelevant. Wasting effort on a TT with no time cut would not help him tomorrow when it counts.
Old 07-04-09, 09:11 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle2death
Everyone should know not to log onto BF and read something about the tour before watching the tour. At least that's how I was thinking
Fail.

Spoilers do not go in thread titles, period. During the week I won't be able to watch the stage until I get home, I can't exile myself from bikeforums all day, what else am I supposed to do when I am bored?
Old 07-04-09, 09:14 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Fail.

Spoilers do not go in thread titles, period. During the week I won't be able to watch the stage until I get home, I can't exile myself from bikeforums all day, what else am I supposed to do when I am bored?
Work?

Old 07-04-09, 09:17 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Work?

That's crazy talk young lad.
Old 07-04-09, 09:21 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't Lance used to rule the TT's?? When was last TdF he finished 10th in a TT?? I honestly don't know, I just thought he was a pretty dominant TT rider in the years he won.
Old 07-04-09, 09:35 PM
jay0k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cav seems to have a hard time with hills compared to the rest of the pro peloton. This TT had it's share of climbing so I suspect Cav just didn't have the stamina on some of those long climbs.

I expect him to win some stages and with the bonuses he'll make up lost time from the hilly stages. I don't seem him being any sort of GC threat though.
Old 07-04-09, 09:41 PM
jay0k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lithuania
Im curious what you expect to happen. Do you think lance is simply just going to sit on contadors wheel instead of working?

My guess is on the first mountain test lance wont even be in a position to help contador especially if there are attacks going on.
Wow. How old are you? Have you watched Lance race? Did you watch him in the Giro last month? He won't have any problem hanging to the front during the climbs. He does seem to lack the explosive legs that would put a minute between him and second place on one stage. If someone does lay down a hard attack in the last few kilometers of those insane climbs he could lose a minute.

He's also 37 years old and hasn't raced in 4 years; not too shabby for what he's doing. Still a top 10 pro in the world. He also doesn't have an entire team working for him anymore which will make it that much harder.
Old 07-04-09, 10:31 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Lance may not be the fittest guy in this race. But I can assure everyone, he is the smartest guy in this race.
An assurance from Pcad is like money in the bank. Of course it's an offshore bank and the certificate of deposit was issued by Bernie Madoff.
Old 07-04-09, 10:47 PM
UGASkiDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Right now in this race in this moment of time Sastre is a better climber than Lance. Deal with it.
Wanna bet on that? I'll bet LA beats CS in the final standings.
Old 07-04-09, 10:48 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't get why Phil keeps saying Cavendish is the fastest man in the bunch...other than the fact he's a Brit. He racks up all his wins when Petacchi isn't in the race. You put Petacchi, Boonen, McEwen and Cav in a 300m straight line sprint and Ale-jet slays all.
Old 07-04-09, 10:52 PM
RudeSiggy

Bikes: '07 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL, DuraAce, Easton EA90 Aero Wheels (or MAVIC Carbone SLs)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwebb
Didn't Lance used to rule the TT's?? When was last TdF he finished 10th in a TT?? I honestly don't know, I just thought he was a pretty dominant TT rider in the years he won.
From Sports Illustrated's site today:

"During his reign as Tour champion, Armstrong never finished lower than third in a time trial, except once, when he placed seventh in one in 2003."

https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 07-04-09, 11:19 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery
Not a shock. Cancellara looked so damn strong in those last few K. Anyone think he has a chance at the overall?
Originally Posted by bdcheung
i don't mean to be rude

but this statement is just naive.
It wasn't a statement, it was a question. And here's the crazy thing: No one was picking Big Mig when he won his first.

Cancellera ripped the field apart on quite a few long climbs last year for the team. Several times he was on the front drilling it for long periods. So it's not a surprise that he then dropped some big chunks of time. That was what he was supposed to do. That's different than just blowing up following wheels.

He's almost exactly the same size as Indurain. Same giant motor. Shown durability in the GT's.
After all the work last year he won the final TT (I throw out CERA fueled Shumaker). And the Swiss tour has several Cat 1 and one HC climb. He beat Kreuzieger, Kloden, both Schlecks, and a lot of other climbing talent in that one.

He's rested and obviously flying right now. And he looks leaner than I've ever seen him.

If Riis decides to keep him protected for a while, he could be a big surprise. If they use him like last year, then no. Ain't likely but I wouldn't dismiss it as nonsense.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 07-04-09 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 01:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,210 Times in 1,730 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
I don't get why Phil keeps saying Cavendish is the fastest man in the bunch...other than the fact he's a Brit. He racks up all his wins when Petacchi isn't in the race. You put Petacchi, Boonen, McEwen and Cav in a 300m straight line sprint and Ale-jet slays all.
with the petacchi lead-out teammates-yes. in a "messy" sprint without significant last km lead-out help
from teammates, i gotta go with cavendish. two years ago or before, i woulda gone with mc ewen. would only go with boonen if there were cobbles or a significant rise at the finish.
Old 07-05-09, 06:56 AM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he will but it will go a lil something like this.

Contador: Necesito agua
Armstrong: Say what?
Contador: Necesito agua
Armstrong: Johan, what's he jaw jacking about?
Bruyneel: Alberto, ¿qué es lo que usted necesita
Contador: Necesito agua!
Bruyneel: Lance, he wants water
Armstrong: Well alrighty then....hey Levi, go fetch us some of that necessary agua while I mind the store.
Old 07-05-09, 07:06 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
Are you KIDDING!? No. This isn't tongue-in-cheek, I am really asking you; are you f-ing JOKING? TV coverage of bike racing in America was practically non-existant before the"downfall of decent cycling coverage in the USA" came along.
Had it not been for the Lance effect we'd still be watching annual Greg Emond retrospectives on CBS Sports.
Hey, I get it. OLN/VS built an industry around LA's performances. They saw the opp and jumped on it. However, they have failed to follow thru. Their coverage has waned since 2005. LA's return has given VS and Uni a boost but what will they have next year?

They failed to educate their new public. VS was so Postal/Disco centric that it became a joke. Yes it's a business. Yes it's about money. What about longevity?

Phil, Paul, and Bob are knowledgeable and entertaining enough to watch. Phil and Paul should update their repertoire. Their references and perspective are very dated. Bob should ease up on the flag waving and cover all of the riders and teams in contention. He has the "street cred", now he should put it to good use. It's OK to have favorites but enough cheerleading already. They have used the LA angle to get people to watch. Now they should do something to keep them watching after LA retires again and fades away.
Old 07-05-09, 08:05 AM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelCan
WOW. I can't believe you guys have read soooo much into one very short (historically) TT. Friggen race has another 7 stages until it will start to get interesting.

Personally I still think LA and Bruyneel have more than a simple back up plan if AC falters for even a moment. Curious to see how much they will work LA. (Personally I think Bruyneel won't use LA as a domestique but will send him on an attack to wear down other teams, and if LA is able to make time, it could spell trouble for AC)
Don't agree at all. Watching Cavendish, Boonen, Hushovd, Freire, etc. over the next few days is great. You don't have to watch the whole thing if you don't want, just DVR through the boring spots and then watch the sprints.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.