Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What brand of Tire Tubes do you use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What brand of Tire Tubes do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 06:19 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
I've been using latex tubes (almost exclusively) since I switched from tubulars to my carbon clinchers (about 3 years). I've found as long as you stay away from the ultralight latex tubes (vredestein makes one), they're plenty durable. I've found them more resistant to blowouts - they often don't go completely flat- if I'm close enough to home I'll just pump it back up once or twice and it gets me there. They're also easy to repair (with standard patches and glue). The only drawback to them not going completely flat is I've had to partially inflate the tube and hold it underwater to find the pinhole (not really a problem). They do tend to lose 10-15 psi overnite, but I haven't had an issue w/ losing too much during the day. I use my commute as a training ride - pump the tires up to 95-100 psi before I leave, get into work around 5:30 am and leave around 3-3:30 PM. Never had an issue w/ air pressure for the ride home, nor on long rides (100-200 mi).
Almost the same exact for me, but I can't get patches to stick to them, so I always have stock on hand. I do find them a bit fussy to install, so usually carry a light butyl tube as my spare. I also use my commute as training, and have no issues with them on my commute home. I just pump them up every morning. Not a big deal.

That said, some people prefer cheap or don't really care.

To the OP, I think you just had a bit of bad luck. If the flat was a faulty tube, I'd have to imagine that walmart would allow you to return them.

Old 07-11-16, 07:12 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Whatever I can find in bulk on sale.
Old 07-11-16, 07:13 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How would it unless you've changed it yourself? It's 15 yrs old. By the looks of it, your pump head extends a good 1" down the valve stem. There are many many pump heads that don't go anywhere near this far down a stem.

Here's a photo of my pump head's gasket.. somewhere between 7-8mm total thickness. This is inset approx. 4-5mm in from the very end of the pump head, meaning the end of the gasket is falling at 1.2cm from the end of the valve. At the worst, the most threaded stems I have begin about 1cm below the tip of the stem, meaning that 'maybe' the .7mm gasket is covering 1-2mm of the extra threads, but the bulk of the gasket is going over the stem cap's threads anyway. IOW, the discussion about threaded valves ruining pump heads is doing nothing but spreading FUD.
So exactly what is the point of all this? You asked about the threaded stems - I put a pic in to show it. I'm really not all that interested in what pump you use or how far down the shaft it goes (that's funny). While I'm at it, shouldn't a pump called "Joe Blow" go farther down the shaft**********? (ribbed or threaded, for whoever's pleasure)

Bottom line is, I don't care. It would ruin my pump head and whoever the OP was on this it would have the same effect on his.

I'm gonna go do more riding and not worry about this. Oh crap, now I mentioned head in all this. I'm out.
Old 07-11-16, 07:19 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KLiNCK
104 grams for the 60.
Old 07-11-16, 09:49 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like how the smooth stem on the Michelin tubes look. Interested in trying latex or maxiss light tubes after reading this, they're really easy to find here, I can even understand a little of the asian characters on the package.