Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

“You leave your house...But you never know if you’ll be back.”

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

“You leave your house...But you never know if you’ll be back.”

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 02:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You think EVERYBODY drives like this^^? I don't. Humans are flawed creatures. We will make mistakes and bad judgements under the best of circumstances...
Just try to drive according to the speed limit during non-rush hour and see how many motorists pass or push you. That's no mistake. That's bad judgement, like you said, and it's intentional, not accidental.

The same with running red lights. That's intentional, especially when everybody is warned ahead of time with the amber light and pedestrian count-downs.

When city officials try to solve or reduce traffic deaths, the over-all consensus from traffic professionals is to slow down traffic. (Political will is another matter.) But bad drivers always try to find ways around traffic calming obstacles or what not. You just can't design-out intentional stupidity.
Old 08-23-18, 03:58 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Drivers are not stupid. Too many are aggressive, and often lack judgement. Stupid is something else entirely. The main target of driver aggression is other drivers. In any of the last five years less than 1000 cyclists (a lot less) have ever been killed in any one year. In that same time around 40,000 drivers and passengers in automobiles are killed each year. Part of the disparity comes from the relative rarity of cyclists on Americas streets and roads. But a good chunk of safety comes from not being in the flight path of these morons. FRAP if you know what is good for you. There are roads I avoid because they are unpleasant to use due to an abssence of signage or striping to indicate bicycle access. I CAN and WILL use such roads and do so safely. If cycling was not safe, I would not do it. Being a pedestrian seems safer than being a cyclist and there are probably more pedestrians than cyclists but not that much more, far more people are in cars or other forms of motorized transport than walk everywhere but at least 5,000 pedestrians die each year from motor vehicle impacts. Motorcycling is unsafe, small plane transportation is not the safest thing one can do, thrill sports are unsafe. I'll just have to agree to disagree about where cycling ranks with other forms of transportation.
Old 08-23-18, 04:24 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
...a good chunk of safety comes from not being in the flight path of these morons [motorists with bad judgement].
Agreed.

...I'll just have to agree to disagree about where cycling ranks with other forms of transportation.
There are just about as many cycling scenarios as there are cyclists. Too many variables to make a blanket statement that "cycling is safe". Sure, in my driveway, cycling is pretty safe. On the local park fitness paths, likely won't be hit by a car (kids and dogs maybe). Highway 96 across central Kansas - about as safe as you can get - 10 cars a day, perfect sight lines, no turns, few cross streets (perfect for an alien abduction tho). Time Square block in NYC, pretty challenging and certainly not as safe as the Kansas route. Literally millions of scenarios with variables like: time of day, day of the week, cyclist skill set, cyclist tire size, school months, summer months, road width, bike lanes, hills, curves, weather, surface condition, local attitude (try "taking a lane" in/near Jackson Mississippi some day), cyclist lane position preferences, and so much more.
Old 08-24-18, 10:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
But then I come home and never know if I'll leave again.
Old 08-25-18, 05:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Can you remind us all how to "correctly" run red lights again?
It's really complicated. You do the same thing you do when it's green. Or when you depart a stop sign. Or when you encounter a yield sign.
Old 08-25-18, 05:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

That's three times more complicated than what the law requires.

1. If you have a red light, stop.

How do you ever find the courage to depart a stop sign?
Old 08-25-18, 05:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Joey, I am about to leave my house in Metairie and ride 30 plus miles through the city. I'll be on the river path, lake path and the Greenway for part of the ride, but for other parts of the ride I'll be in the heart of the city and the burbs. I have the roads almost to myself at this hour. Almost all the drunks have made it home, and those with hangovers aren't on the road yet.

We talk about whether cycling is safe or not. For all of us it's about reducing risk to an acceptable level. Far more pedestrians are killed than cyclists. Is walking unsafe? It's interesting that you will combat commute the city but would find the recreational ride I do in the early morning not worth the risk. I may be getting a job in the CBD, and as much as I would like to cycle, I doubt I have the stones for it.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-25-18 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 05:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…So it appears the victim may have had a red light. Can you remind us all how to "correctly" run red lights again?
Easy as 1-2-3!

1. Look BOTH ways.
2. If you CAN'T SEE, you CAN'T GO!
3. If you are NOT SURE, then you CAN'T GO!

And there you have it!
That's three times more complicated than what the law requires.

1. If you have a red light, stop.
And if you have a GREEN light???...
GO!

A green light does not magically insure your safety. You have to do the SAME THINGS to cross safely
People and cyclists also make honest mistakes operating their vehicles.
I can't see how anybody running a red light (on a bicycle, in a car or on foot) or anybody exceeding the speed limit can be an honest mistake.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's really complicated. You do the same thing you do when it's green. Or when you depart a stop sign. Or when you encounter a yield sign.
Regarding intersections, I have frequently posted, no matter what you do,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver’s ed).
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you …

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-25-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 05:49 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Yes, it IS too much to ask. I live in a city with all kinds of people. Grew up here. My mom was a pro ballet dancer so gay people were all around me, my dad was an athlete then worked for the phone company (Southern Bell, then AT&T) so my world was simultaneously filled with people of color. Even GAY people of COLOR. And I think it is safe to say that New Orleans is the most liberal city for 1000 miles in any direction. I am white, I am the MINORITY here, and I live here on purpose. It ain't perfect but I have looked around the USofA and this is the best place I can afford to be. So your insinuations likely say something about YOU. And I never want to read that $#!T again on any of my threads. Capiche?

Don't give him the time of day with his race baiting. I am surprised the mods haven't issued a cease and desist on it. Moreover I'd be willing to bet that he is casting his racial aspersions from the comfort of a relative vanilla enclave. The race baiters always seem to come from not so diverse areas. This area is so remarkably and beautifully diverse in every way. On my ride today I will see people of every race and a remarkable range of ethnic diversity. I don't know why but I really get a kick out of seeing Muslim women in their full garb riding bikes. From his comments it looks like he is trying to get the thread closed or punted. I hope the mods see this and don't oblige.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-25-18 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-25-18, 08:09 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
One word: therapy...maybe? That's a symptom of an anxiety disorder.
Old 08-25-18, 08:57 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I think this is just getting shaky anyway.

Look, mortality is 100% regardless of how. A little tiny germ can do it as much as whatever. Keep your wits tuned and pay attention, you have no control over it otherwise.

A&S is not about us vs. them and paranoia, it's about co-existence and promoting awareness and self-confidence.
Old 08-25-18, 09:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
A&S is not about us vs. them and paranoia, it's about co-existence and promoting awareness and self-confidence.
Maybe for you; obviously for others, posting based on paranoia and us vs them IS what this list is all about.
Old 08-25-18, 06:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Don't give him the time of day with his race baiting. I am surprised the mods haven't issued a cease and desist on it. Moreover I'd be willing to bet that he is casting his racial aspersions from the comfort of a relative vanilla enclave. The race baiters always seem to come from not so diverse areas. This area is so remarkably and beautifully diverse in every way. On my ride today I will see people of every race and a remarkable range of ethnic diversity. I don't know why but I really get a kick out of seeing Muslim women in their full garb riding bikes. From his comments it looks like he is trying to get the thread closed or punted. I hope the mods see this and don't oblige.
I don't know ... seeing as his comments and mine were made a week ago and I have been here everyday since then without follow-up, who exactly is stirring the pot to bring this line of argument back in focus? I'm not sure what diversity has to do with anything. Others have said the article has nothing to do with bikes or safety and is just grinding the axe of racial intolerance. I didn't read it. Just wondering out loud what his (or yours) fascination with diversity has to do with A&S.
Old 08-25-18, 08:35 PM
C.Jester

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t know about the intolerance. I didn’t read back enough to see it. Those that want to be offended will always find a reason to be.

But on the riding end end of the post... I’ve always felt safer riding in heavy traffic in town than out on the back roads. At least if I get hit in town, there are witnesses and someone to call 911. I’m far more concerned heading out in the motorcycle than the bicycle.
Old 08-25-18, 09:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by C.Jester
...But on the riding end end of the post...I’ve always felt safer riding in heavy traffic in town than out on the back roads. At least if I get hit in town, there are witnesses and someone to call 911.

I’m far more concerned heading out in the motorcycle than the bicycle.
I previously posted:
Originally Posted by noglider
The weird thing is that traffic in NYC is aggressive, but I find it easier to survive than other places.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say NYC drivers are better than in other places, because it may simply be that I understand the dance and know how to do it .
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
As a social ballroom dancer with years of lessons, as well as urban commuter, may I say, "Well said."

There was thread once about rural vs urban cycling, and a concensus was that urban cycling was safer, because of the congestion and slower speeds. Even with heavy traffic, I know the patterns of traffic, the "dance steps," and can anticipate the car's movements.

Earlier on this thread, I wrote: An important aphorism I learned on BF is, "To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood," though we don't watch our feet when we dance.
Old 08-25-18, 11:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

So, this is Biking With The Stars?
Old 08-26-18, 10:47 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Maybe for you; obviously for others, posting based on paranoia and us vs them IS what this list is all about.
Are we an open sub-forum of P&R then?
Old 08-26-18, 12:33 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by C.Jester
I don’t know about the intolerance. I didn’t read back enough to see it. Those that want to be offended will always find a reason to be....
The article I posted in the OP had nothing to with intolerance of any kind. The cyclists are delivery people from other countries who may or may not have citizenship in the USA. Therefore, they work for very cheap and concentrate their money together to afford an apartment. My point for posting the link was to highlight how dangerous it can be in a big city (in this case) for cyclists and non-cyclists who try to ride bikes. Basically, in the USofA, there is at least one group of "cyclists" who wonder if the next bike ride will be their last. They don't hangout here at A&S, they don't have any cycling political agenda. They have few options for work not speaking the language and often being undocumented and illegally working. They are trapped in a cycling lifestyle that they deem life threatening. "From the mouth of babes" so to speak.

Now if you want to turn that into a political discussion, let's talk about people who hire illegals getting some prison time. If you feed the pigeons, the pigeons will come and walls won't help. Lock up the pigeon feeders and that solves the pigeon problem. Politically speaking, and my personal feelings on the matter, I don't believe the USofA needs to be kept safe from hard-working, industrious people. But I didn't see much of a political slant to the story I l inked. Just cyclists getting killed in a dangerous situation. That is the A&S material in the article I hoped would spur a lively discussion about bike safety.
Old 08-26-18, 12:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Let's not, CBS has golf.
Old 08-26-18, 06:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
I wouldn't have noticed this thread except that @Jim from Boston quoted me here, from another thread. I ride in NYC pretty much every weekday. Yeah, it can be rough to travel on the streets on a bike, but I wouldn't call it a war-like experience. Maybe it is in New Orleans where you live, @JoeyBike, but there's more indifference to cyclists than hostility towards us. And actually, if I cut someone off, rightly or wrongly, most of the time, he will brake and avoid me, not retaliate or rebuke me. You should come and see what it's like. Sure there's danger, but there's danger in a lot of things that we do normally. I think that as I do my commute, I'm safer from death than the average suburban driver. That may be counterintuitive because if a car hits me, my body could be crushed, and someone in a car carries a lot of armor. But such fatal body-crushing car-bike collisions are rarer per mile or per trip than car-car collisions. I have to take some risks in life, and I think by taking the risks that go with cycling in heavy traffic, I'm mitigating a lot of risks associated with a sedentary life of too little exercise. When doctors and nurses take my vital signs, they are astonished at my conditioning, and I'm hardly an elite athlete.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-10-18, 08:27 AM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
It would appear that you want to have it both ways. Look, either cycling is an incredibly dangerous activity, to be undertaken extremely prudently if at all, or it isn't. I for one would NOT want to add a single iota of additional risk in an activity already so fraught as to make me question my survival on a minute by minute basis. Full disclosure: I run red lights daily, but I am not simultaneously linking articles by people claiming that cycling is up there with BASE jumping based on the risk to life and limb statistics. What exactly is your reason for doing so? Also, is it too much to ask why, in recent threads, you seem to need to drag people of color into your rants? IF I bother to read that article, will it be expressly determined that all the food delivery personnel in NYC are undocumented, or is that just your biased extrapolation? Is this yet another of your threads that needs to be locked pronto? I'm thinking, yes!
In JoeyBike's case, it's not about safety; it's about bragging rights. This is especially true since he loves to make threads about him out running geeks(triathletes and time trialists) and road cyclists in imaginary races. With titles like "Joey Brooks vs Roadie", "It's Geek Hunting Season Again!", and "Long Haul Trucker - Geek Slayer??", you can't help but notice what his true motives are.
Old 09-10-18, 12:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 1,943 Posts
Quintessential A&S thread: nauseating, fascinating, full of illogic, untruth, silliness, deliberate misunderstanding and willful ignorance ... a slow-motion train wreck and a guilty pleasure.

Why worry about dying while cycling? Imagine dying with this thread open in your browser ......
Old 09-12-18, 09:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I wouldn't have noticed this thread except that @Jim from Boston quoted me here, from another thread. I ride in NYC pretty much every weekday. Yeah, it can be rough to travel on the streets on a bike, but I wouldn't call it a war-like experience. Maybe it is in New Orleans where you live,
Riding in NYC is much harder than riding in NO (I've done both).
Old 09-12-18, 09:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Quintessential A&S thread: nauseating, fascinating, full of illogic, untruth, silliness, deliberate misunderstanding and willful ignorance ... a slow-motion train wreck and a guilty pleasure.

Why worry about dying while cycling? Imagine dying with this thread open in your browser ......
What's worse is the fact that the NY Times published an article that made the job of bike courier out to be lethal. Like all jobs, there is some risk. If there is disproportionate risk, I am not aware of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-13-18, 08:45 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
I've been scolded here for comparing cycling in a city grid to "going to war"
And rightfully so. What a ridiculous comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.