Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

“Golden Anniversary Ride” bike: 1974 Legnano

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

“Golden Anniversary Ride” bike: 1974 Legnano

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 06:45 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 430 Posts
As seen on the For Sale sub-forum, just scored crank dust caps which this bike probably has not had in a long time.

Originally Posted by juvela
----- Quel Horreur! ​​​the QR on these mozzi be CPSC compliant
(a) I guess another argument for only showing bikes from the NDS!
(b) Not sure how that happened, why would he have replaced them? Hmm, the owner says the bike originally had tubulars, perhaps instead of replacing the hubs to the 27" rims, bought a second set of complete wheels a few years later, thus the curved QR's? I might look around and see if I have straight skewers around somewhere.

not sure those cable loops sufficiently altitudinous
Based on some of the comments here at BF on my other projects, I decided to try lower cables. In this case, 5" above the bar. It does not look too odd to me, and I presume I won't find any issues (cable binding) on the test ride, so I can leave them at this lower height.

Old 05-21-24, 07:59 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 3,459 Times in 2,248 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
As seen on the For Sale sub-forum, just scored crank dust caps which this bike probably has not had in a long time.

(a) I guess another argument for only showing bikes from the NDS!
(b) Not sure how that happened, why would he have replaced them? Hmm, the owner says the bike originally had tubulars, perhaps instead of replacing the hubs to the 27" rims, bought a second set of complete wheels a few years later, thus the curved QR's? I might look around and see if I have straight skewers around somewhere.

Based on some of the comments here at BF on my other projects, I decided to try lower cables. In this case, 5" above the bar. It does not look too odd to me, and I presume I won't find any issues (cable binding) on the test ride, so I can leave them at this lower height.
----

the CPSC compliant skewers have different cone shaped nuts as well -

so NDS images not safe either

Brits were famous/notorious for setting up some bikes with big cable loops for photo shoots

evidently it was thought more striking...

-----
Old 05-27-24, 09:35 AM
tiger1964 

The shakedown ride was successful, the only thing I found loose was the saddle was loose in the seat post clamp (I hope there’s a special Bolgia in The Infernofor the designer of Campagnolo’s infernal seat post). A pair of crank arm dust caps arrived and installed, all the bolts rechecked, I kinda ran out of things to fiddle with. The bike rides nice; a little less frenetic than the Peugeot, for instance (41" wheelbase helps?)

Well, I think the three Golden Anniversary Ride bikes are done, the only thing left is to get all four of us together (three local, one in Minneapolis). As with any of the bike projects, I know more now than when I started. The number of BF members that provided solutions, insight or just plain moral support... probably too many to mention. Some of the otherwise unlocatable parts I needed came from (sorry, I could not find a tutorial on how to “mention”): sloar, benotto biker, Mad Honk, Catnap, pastorbobnlnh, Kilroy1988, marius.suiram, AdventureManCO, and Piff (did I miss any?) Also a few eBay sellers, Amazon, Velo Orange, Bike Tires Direct, Chaser industries, Wheels Manufacturing, Greg Softley of Cyclomondo, Performance Bicycle, Carson City Bike Shop, and the motorcycle painter RC Cycles. Thank you, every one!

Old 05-27-24, 12:22 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, Eastern Alpaka 29er

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
The shakedown ride was successful, the only thing I found loose was the saddle was loose in the seat post clamp (I hope there’s a special Bolgia in The Infernofor the designer of Campagnolo’s infernal seat post). A pair of crank arm dust caps arrived and installed, all the bolts rechecked, I kinda ran out of things to fiddle with. The bike rides nice; a little less frenetic than the Peugeot, for instance (41" wheelbase helps?)

Well, I think the three Golden Anniversary Ride bikes are done, the only thing left is to get all four of us together (three local, one in Minneapolis). As with any of the bike projects, I know more now than when I started. The number of BF members that provided solutions, insight or just plain moral support... probably too many to mention. Some of the otherwise unlocatable parts I needed came from (sorry, I could not find a tutorial on how to “mention”): sloar, benotto biker, Mad Honk, Catnap, pastorbobnlnh, Kilroy1988, marius.suiram, AdventureManCO, and Piff (did I miss any?) Also a few eBay sellers, Amazon, Velo Orange, Bike Tires Direct, Chaser industries, Wheels Manufacturing, Greg Softley of Cyclomondo, Performance Bicycle, Carson City Bike Shop, and the motorcycle painter RC Cycles. Thank you, every one!
I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing about the ride. This is excellent.
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 05-28-24, 07:47 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 3,459 Times in 2,248 Posts
Originally Posted by Strawbunyan
I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing about the ride. This is excellent.

-----

yes, indeed!

i vote you make a video of the event in the best traditions of member jjhabbs

should friends not seem to appreciate the thought, care and work you have put into the three machines you can show them the respective forum threads

-----

-----
Old 05-28-24, 09:27 AM
tiger1964 

----- yes, indeed! i vote you make a video of the event in the best traditions of member jjhabbs should friends not seem to appreciate the thought, care and work you have put into the three machines you can show them the respective forum threads -
The Legnano Dude's wife is also a cyclist and has what looks like most of a Best Buy on her handlebars; bike computer, lights, Garmin, and now a Go-Pro (plus a bunch of other stuff, heavy bike, I had not realized it a CF bike! ). What I am hoping for is that she rides with us when the time comes and films it all.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 05-28-24, 10:38 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 465 Posts
I hope I don't miss the post about the ride. The refurbs have been fun to watch.