Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The things you see out there

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The things you see out there

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 02:27 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,166 Times in 7,591 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
funny story or not I guess. My buddy was riding thru without a light (he had a light but it stopped working for some reason) and hit a deer that had wandered in the tunnel..he crashed. I have another friend whose wife crashed in the tunnel because she veered over and she broke her arm. he said it was a brutal walk back to the parking lot as it was a bad break.
Not surpised. I was reading a review of the Olympian Trail, which is the rail line segment east of the East Portal trailhead. The reviewer said he encountered a moose in one of the tunnels. And I was very afraid of running off the trail or running into one of the may chldren coming my way. (I went west to east from Avery, ID.)

I accidentally eft my darn light on because it was light out and for got that it was on. Killed the battery the 3rd day of a 14 day trip, and I had not brought the micro charging cord with me.
Old 01-27-24, 02:37 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by boomer58
Indyfabz - The Trail of the Hiawatha is one of the most amazing rail trails I have ever been on. I did it a few years back when I was visiting my sister in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. The scenery is breathtaking when you exit the other side. We had some pretty bright lights but could have used brighter ones. If I remember correctly, the tunnel has a curve so at one point you do not see the light at the end either way. Can't wait to get back there, thanks for posting.
I went west to east (i.e., up hill) from Avery, ID. When the official trail ends at the Peasron trailhead, you can continue riding the old right-of-way to Avery. In fact, you can ride even more of the old right-of-way heading west. I am hoping to do a loop tour out of Missoula after Labor Day that includes the Hiawatha and the CdA trails.

The Hiawatha is amazing. A year or so ago, someone on here was going to be in the area wit his family but was balking because of the relatively small fee. I tried my best to convince him to at least do ti for the kids. Don't know whatever happened.

Old 01-27-24, 07:27 PM
boomer58 

Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Those are great pictures however it's like a lot of things, you have to see it in person to take it all in. We were coming from Coeur d'Alene and came in from I-90 so we came west to east. If I lived out there I would have a yearly pass. If the guy that balked at the cost did not go then he certainly missed out on a huge experience for his family. We will be taking our RV across Canada this summer and will definitely be doing the trail again when we leave Glacier. My friend and his wife were going through there last summer and were so excited to do the trail after I told them about it, ( they are big bicycle riders ) but unfortunately the weather was real bad so they couldn't do it. My Marin mountain bike is up in Maryland in my son's basement and the orange sticker that they give you is still on the bike. Thanks for posting the picture Indyfabz.
Old 01-27-24, 08:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,519 Times in 4,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I see people on Zwift sucking my wheel for a good long time only to drop me at the climbs. They don't even bother to type Hi when I introduce myself with a message. Sometimes though I do get a ride on....

So much for the social aspect of it.
The nature of Zwift tends to keep people together if they are riding at similar w/kg levels. There are a lot of times I find myself stuck to someone unintentionally. I find that a lot of people go harder on short climbs - myself included, frequently. Also, I run Zwift on an Apple TV and don’t have a keyboard connected. I could probably send a PM via the companion app in my phone, but it’s cumbersome in the middle of a ride.

In other words…If it was me, sorry. Thanks for rolling with me.
Old 01-27-24, 09:00 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by boomer58
Those are great pictures however it's like a lot of things, you have to see it in person to take it all in. We were coming from Coeur d'Alene and came in from I-90 so we came west to east. If I lived out there I would have a yearly pass. If the guy that balked at the cost did not go then he certainly missed out on a huge experience for his family. We will be taking our RV across Canada this summer and will definitely be doing the trail again when we leave Glacier. My friend and his wife were going through there last summer and were so excited to do the trail after I told them about it, ( they are big bicycle riders ) but unfortunately the weather was real bad so they couldn't do it. My Marin mountain bike is up in Maryland in my son's basement and the orange sticker that they give you is still on the bike. Thanks for posting the picture Indyfabz.
Thanks. I’ve ridden up the west slope and down the east slope of Going to the Sun once (while crossing the US) and up and back down the west slope three other times.

I worked in the freight rail industry for over 20 years, so the Hiawatha was a thrill for me. I’ve also done the nearby NorPac Trail from Taft up to Lookout Pass twice during tours. Sure beats riding up I-90. But the descent from Lookout to Mulan on I-90 is fun. (All Interstate Highway mileage in Montana is bike-legal. There is a pullout where you can view the Superfund site caused by all the silver mining that used to take place up in the hills.

Heading up the NorPac in 2019:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-27-24, 09:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,721 Times in 1,107 Posts
Talk about snakes...

My short back road trails have little traffic and few houses. Every now and then I run into somone one walking. I was coming down a steep back road to pass and old guy (older then me) with a cane. I caught him totally off guard as he was urinating on some weeds. He was embarrassed and staggered a bit as he tried to control his discharge. As he turned his trousers fell to his knees making it worse. He almost fell over. I stopped and asked over my shoulder, "Need some help?", he replied, "Nope, its a little too late.", his pants were wet.

As he zipped up I asked him if he had far ta go and he replied no he lived just around the corner. I introduced myself but did not shake hands as I walked with him over to his drive way. It was a good encounter...