Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another PBK credit card fraud incident...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Another PBK credit card fraud incident...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 02:35 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. A credit card # is not enough info to "steal your identity".

See this is why these threads serve no purpose....

Try fatwallet finance forums or something.
Old 04-23-09, 02:37 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides
the necessary followup actions would be to contact the 3 credit score co's to ensure no one opens a new line of credit.
If somebody has stolen your identity and gotten a new card made in your name, they won't be wasting time charging to cards that you get the bill for. One credit card # isn't a gateway to your identity.

(looks like someone beat me to it.)
Old 04-23-09, 02:40 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsellinger

So you do not recommend that these people follow up just in case? That's just plain irresponsible.
Old 04-23-09, 02:51 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not it's not. It's a silly waste of your time to worry about something like that. If you had any idea of how credit reporting worked you would understand.

Even "watching your account like a hawk" is dumb. Just wait for your statement and get it then. There is no responsibility on your part to tell the credit card company that someone has stolen your card info unless you know it has been stolen (like you get mugged etc.) Heck some credit card company's have policies that they can't reverse a charge unless a statement has been issued anyway.

All these “PBK stole my cc card” threads do are provide a soapbox for under informed consumers to spout off about things they do not understand.
Old 04-23-09, 02:52 PM
pilam99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If someone took that CC# and signed up for a recurring obligation like a gym membership, when that cc# gets bounced the next month, you can be on the hook for the balance of the term, say 11 months, and they don't need a SS# for it to get on your credit report. Many times simply having the same name as someone else who skipped a bill is enough.

This isn't cause for paranoia but better to be on the safe side.

On a side note I contacted PBK to alert them to the issue. I never heard back when I asked them for a Craft size chart so I'm not sure how vigilant they are about reading email.
Old 04-23-09, 02:55 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilam99
If someone took that CC# and signed up for a recurring obligation like a gym membership, when that cc# gets bounced the next month, you can be on the hook for the balance of the term, say 11 months, and they don't need a SS# for it to get on your credit report. Many times simply having the same name as someone else who skipped a bill is enough.
This is like explaining computer things to my mother....

How do you people come up with this stuff.
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not it's not. It's a silly waste of your time to worry about something like that. If you had any idea of how credit reporting worked you would understand.

Even "watching your account like a hawk" is dumb. Just wait for your statement and get it then. There is no responsibility on your part to tell the credit card company that someone has stolen your card info unless you know it has been stolen (like you get mugged etc.) Heck some credit card company's have policies that they can't reverse a charge unless a statement has been issued anyway.

All these “PBK stole my cc card” threads do are provide a soapbox for under informed consumers to spout off about things they do not understand.
Well, that's interesting. Apparently Chase knows knowing about credit reporting since the 1st thing they tell you is that they will notify the companies for you.

I also find it interesting that you've spent hours following this thread to try to prove that you know more about credit reporting than others. Once you asked to close the thread why didn't you take your bad advice and disappear?

And again, telling people, "don't worry about your credit cards, just try to catch it when you get your statement" is totally irresponsible. If one of these people lose 10 grand, will you cover it for them?
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides
So you do not recommend that these people follow up just in case? That's just plain irresponsible.
So, what exactly would you report to the Credit agencies?

If I give you the number of my previous credit card and expiration date (which was apparently what was compromised) you can't do anything with it but get a bunch of refused charges... It isn't enough info to get a new card... If you get a new card in my name, you would have to make up a Social Security Number, and unless you guessed mine right (highly unlikely), it wouldn't go against my credit.
Old 04-23-09, 02:57 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cardholder liability

In the US, federal law limits the liability of card holders to $50 in the event of theft, regardless of the amount charged on the card. [7]. In practice many issuers will waive this small payment and simply remove the fraudulent charges from the customer's account if the customer signs an affidavit confirming that the charges are indeed fraudulent.
Card issuers may try to recoup losses through higher fees and interest rates. The same applies to credit cards issued by offshore banking institutions.
Old 04-23-09, 03:01 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i also had fraud immediately after ordering from pbk... about $400 worth of junk purchased online with my cc#...
Old 04-23-09, 03:04 PM
anticlimbactic
road plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, my order with PBK didn't result in any fraudulent charges before I had that $500 limit card replaced anyway (that I use almost exclusively for online purchases).

I will be using the PayPal one time use generated mastercard account numbers from here on out.

So these threads DID help -- I didn't know I could do that with PayPal.
Old 04-23-09, 03:11 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Before you order anything online, contact your credit card issuer and see if they will give you a one-time CC number to use for an online purchase for a credit limit that you specify and that is only valid for a short time. Make your online purchase and if someone nicks your temporary CC #, it's not going to get them much and you won't have to cancel your main CC #.

MBNA used to do these, I think.

Last edited by CyLowe97; 04-23-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 05:05 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really want to be safe, you should change the license plates on your cars, too.
Old 04-23-09, 05:53 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Just for the heck of it I just forwarded this thread to PBK. Let's see what they say, if they respond.
Old 04-23-09, 06:07 PM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
Yep, I ordered something from PBK a few weeks ago, then bought something via Paypal a few days later and there was a charge for $1. It had been a long while since I'd used Paypal, and with all of these threads about PBK lately I was worried and called my bank to check on it. They said it's normal with Paypal, and that the $1 charge would go away within a few days, which it did. I'm still checking my account daily for any small purchases though.
answer your pm
Old 04-23-09, 06:07 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paypal plugin one time generated cc #'s....the only way I order online anymore.
Old 04-23-09, 06:18 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you think discussing credit card fraud related to online biking purchases is such a waste of time, why are you wasting your time trying convince everyone it is dumb to worry about it. Just move on and read another thread.

My CC was recently compromised and over $4,000 was purchased over a short period of time. I also purchase from PBK, but I have no clue if this is where they got my information. It won't stop me from making future purchases from them, but I will check the CC's current activity, thoroughly go through each new monthly statement and carefully watch my bank accounts transactions.

What ticks me off is the first fraudulent purchase to Newegg.com was for $1,500 and the merchandise was shipped to a different address than the billing address. Should have been a red flag and they should have verified the purchase. Of the 14 purchases, we were able to contact the retaler and stop delivery of 10, and a few, such as Hewlett Packard, suspected something was wrong and cancelled the delivery.

My wife thru her research was able to figure out where the items were being delivered, worked with the local sheriff's dept and was able to make an arrest. Got a lot more complicated, but I'll spare the details. To say that there is nothing you should do is naive. Sitting back and letting the CC pursue it and to not watch your activity is what I consider dumb. After reading these posts, I realize that this problem is more pervasive than I thought.
Old 04-23-09, 06:35 PM
fatallightning
Cat 666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got jacked, most likely from pbk, the stuff started showing up at my house. Books, supplements, hocket tickets. Shrug.
Old 04-23-09, 07:47 PM
Nick29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fwiw, my last order with PBK was on Feb. 6, and I just had to cancel my credit card because of small fraudulent charges on it ($1 from "Itunes," $15.99 from "Netflix," and $2.29 from "Businessfund800." At the same time, i started getting unsolicited calls on my cell phone (the number I gave PBK), and have continued to get at least 6-7 calls per day from the same few numbers for the last week. I have the credit card stuff straightened out, but I wish i knew where the a**holes who keep calling me lived. . .
Old 04-23-09, 08:07 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick29
fwiw, my last order with PBK was on Feb. 6, and I just had to cancel my credit card because of small fraudulent charges on it ($1 from "Itunes," $15.99 from "Netflix," and $2.29 from "Businessfund800." At the same time, i started getting unsolicited calls on my cell phone (the number I gave PBK), and have continued to get at least 6-7 calls per day from the same few numbers for the last week. I have the credit card stuff straightened out, but I wish i knew where the a**holes who keep calling me lived. . .
These are the exact same fraudulent charges that appeared on my card yesterday after placing an order with PBK a week or two ago.
Old 04-23-09, 09:17 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
No PBK for me, but me and most of my friends at college have gotten new credit cards in the past month duet to fraudulent charges coming from odd places. I think one or two of the large US clearing houses also had holes.
Old 04-23-09, 09:20 PM
anticlimbactic
road plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
No PBK for me, but me and most of my friends at college have gotten new credit cards in the past month duet to fraudulent charges coming from odd places. I think one or two of the large US clearing houses also had holes.
^^ this too. My bank preemptively sent me a new debit card because of a compromise at a processor or data center. Well, a WEEK LATER before I even used the card there were fraudulent charges they intercepted and stopped. And sent me another new card.
Old 04-23-09, 09:31 PM
mangovich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont know if it's because of PBK, but my bank gave me a new card, stating the old number had been compromised. they wouldn't specify what company it was, but this does seem interesting...
Old 04-23-09, 09:32 PM
td.tony

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, PBK has such good prices but I really don't want to deal with them after so many people have gotton fraud charges. I don't even want to risk it right now because I got a brand new card last month, and only used it once for a helmet from rudy project and 2 days later got $150 of fraudulant charges on my card. Wells Fargo did take care of it, but I hate going through the whole process. sigh, I guess I'll just get my tires from bikeisland now.
Old 04-23-09, 09:59 PM
anticlimbactic
road plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by td.tony
Man, PBK has such good prices but I really don't want to deal with them after so many people have gotton fraud charges. I don't even want to risk it right now because I got a brand new card last month, and only used it once for a helmet from rudy project and 2 days later got $150 of fraudulant charges on my card. Wells Fargo did take care of it, but I hate going through the whole process. sigh, I guess I'll just get my tires from bikeisland now.

As people have said, use a single-use generated card number. Your bank may give you one or if you use PayPal you can get one through their PayPal Plug-in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.