Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The smell of fresh glue portends a great cycling season

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The smell of fresh glue portends a great cycling season

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 08:57 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 578 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
I'm new to the tubular scene, and I have another thread going about sealants. It sounds like what you're describing is carrying some Stan's with you, and putting it in after you flat, replacing the core, and riding on. Is that your system? If so, do you carry the 2 oz. sealant injectors (seem kind of pricey), or what?
Yes, as Wildwood describes, I remove the valve core and simply poor in about 1/5 to 1/4 of a bottle of Stan's. Pump up the tire, and ride on. I've also started a ride to find out that I got a slow leak on the last ride (one tire half inflated, the other practically flat). I'll then add some sealant and start the ride that way and never been a problem. The riding roatates the tire and sealant around to fill the leak. Tip: a multi-gauge spoke wrench that includes a 12-gauge size can double as both a spoke wrench and a valve core tool. I do bring a bottle of Stan's with me. I save to used bottles and then only bring up to a 1/2 bottle in my jersey pocket in addition to a spare, and sew-up repair kit (patch kit, needle, razor blade, thread) just in case.
Old 04-24-17, 09:24 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Yes, as Wildwood describes, I remove the valve core and simply poor in about 1/5 to 1/4 of a bottle of Stan's.
Surely you are talking about 1/4 of a 2 oz bottle...

Doesn't Stans dry out after about 3 months? Or does it saturate the latex tube and seal it so it won't slowly leak air as tubulars usually do?
Old 04-25-17, 08:10 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 578 Posts
@mountaindave, yes, 1/4 or maybe a little less from the 2 oz bottle. I don't like the idea of adding extra weight to my tires but it beats patching & sewing.

The treated tires will still leak like you'd expect from a typical latex tire. Not sure about the drying out after 3 months concern. I am still riding on tires that had a slow leak and were treated 6+ months ago without issues.
Old 05-02-17, 12:36 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 4,950 Times in 2,282 Posts
The treated tires will still leak like you'd expect from a typical latex tire. Not sure about the drying out after 3 months concern. I am still riding on tires that had a slow leak and were treated 6+ months ago without issues.

After enough weeks, my tubies (sealed w/ sm amt of Stan's) hold air better.

I firmly believe it is a permanent fix on small leaks (not valve related) where the antagonist can be found and removed. I would reapply every season if the tires last that long.

As to weight - phffft - 1 fluid oz. of liquid latex weighs mere grams.

For a dedicated gluing session, I confess to starting with three sets of blackwalls only one tan sidewall.

Here's hoping 25mm of Veloflex goodness makes the ride everything one expects from fricking expensive bicycle tires, lovingly glued by hand so as not to have that confounded & dreaded bump - usually at the valve stem.
Attached Images
Old 05-02-17, 01:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Why do i feel Specialized?
2 layers each to rim + tire.
Can't you almost see those layers bonding?
ok, maybe enough glue for 1 day.
Attached Images
Old 05-02-17, 06:34 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Put down the contact cement, now slowly back from the glue. Too much fume action for you this week.....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-02-17, 07:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3619 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Tip: a multi-gauge spoke wrench that includes a 12-gauge size can double as both a spoke wrench and a valve core tool. I do bring a bottle of Stan's with me.
Good tips, both of them!
Old 05-05-17, 11:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Did I do it wrong ???

When applying glue to the last wheelset, these Ambrosio Synthesis Durex Super Professional measured 2mm wider (outside width) than the Mavic GP4 which gets the 2nd set of tires. The tires are a 25mm vs a 30mm.

So, I put the 30mm tire on the wider rim - even tho the wheelset was due to get a tan side which I prefer on the Mondia. ?A concession determined by a rider not a collector? Can't wait for a long ride in the morning!

As an aside, these Schwalbe tires were a b___ (hard culprit) to get on. They were not pre-stretched as long as I give other tires, but it was clear that these 30mm have much thicker sidewalls and tread than a 28mm Veloflex. They will be hopefully durable and trouble free on gravel roads (the intended purpose). Around the block circles to check for bumps and 'set' the tires confirms the mounting impression = that is, at about 90psi, the road feel is still there but they seem heavy to spin-up relatively (only an initial impression).

Mondia Super pictured with 30mm and with old tan sidewalls. The new tan sidewalls will be mounted tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mondia in backyard.jpg (99.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-06-17, 10:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Here's the Mondia with its' intended tanwall Veloflex Roubaix 25mm. Much better than the black tires.

Final stats: 4 wheelsets completed, 2 layers of glue on each of the wheels and tyres, 3rd layer of glue on those 30mm Schwalbe monsters. No bumps, No glue on the garage floor, No scraped knuckles, No glue in the hair.

Lessons learned: Pre-stretch more; buy the BIG can of glue with its' own application brush and no worries of running out; don't get in a hurry. Beers, music and a smoke makes it almost like fun. Should have invited a friend.

Now for the summer of smooth spinning.
Attached Images
Old 05-06-17, 12:04 PM
cadillacmike68
Campy NR / SR forever

Bikes: 1977-78 Raleigh Professional - bought new, 1987 Shogun 400 (for the lady)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Nice job all around.

Where did you get the Veloflex tan sidewall tires?