Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did we really look like this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Did we really look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 07:30 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Nice pics all
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-22-09, 09:31 PM
BassManNate

Bikes: Motobecane Strada Ltd. 1.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vincev
If you have any doubts watch an episode of Magnum P.I.
Up until just a few years ago my uncle had some shorts like those. I think my aunt finally snuck them into the garbage. Got plenty of pictures of him in them though.
Old 01-22-09, 11:02 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by akcapbikeforums
This is a great thread... need the "after" pix too.
OK, I'll play...

1961, department store fixie
1977, cat 4 road race, Colnago Super
1979, National 25 Mile TT Championships, Nishiki ONP
2005 century ride, 2002 Bianchi Alloro (the modern bike in the fleet)

Man, I wish I still had the bikes from pics 2 & 3, and the hair in pic 1.

Last edited by Straightblock; 01-22-09 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 11:54 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
I still ride the bike and the saddle. Not much else is the same.

thats the same hair style and beard I have right now!

Originally Posted by mrhedges
is it just me or did everything look cooler before i was born (1983)? all the men had serious mustaches and the bikes were lugged.
me too (1983) and yes, I agree, cooler back then.
Old 01-23-09, 12:59 AM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BassManNate
Up until just a few years ago my uncle had some shorts like those. I think my aunt finally snuck them into the garbage. Got plenty of pictures of him in them though.
LOL. And I am soooo sick of bike shorts that come down to my knees. Might as well be wearing knickers. Where did all the 5"-6" shorts go? Today's 9"-10" shorts are just too long.

I really need to get some vintage or retro cycling clothing to go with my bikes. Somehow the cutoff shorts and T-shirts I wore back in the day wouldn't look right today.
Old 01-23-09, 07:49 AM
tuind13

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Crossroads, 2009 Raleigh Roadster, 1974 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaxwell
ok, all I have to say is that some of the pics of you teen age guys take me back a few years. Since I am female and I graduated in 1982 you all are looking just like you should and I might add mighty fine.... since I want to revel in my youth and not admit that I am growing old... so from my perspective I would have dated anyone of you of you 17-18 year old guys... heheheh at least the ones that were 17-18 in 82ish time period. LOL you are all looking good to me. Perhaps posting now pics would ruin some of the mystery but then again maybe not. I just have to say that you all were a bunch of good lookin studbolts IMHO. But this is a fun thread, I would love to see more pics of folks... however I have none from that time period that are digitized so nothing to post here. I also did not ride back in the day, I didn't get my first real bike until after 1990. Well thanks all for sharing this has been fun.
+1. Female, class of '83. Thanks for making me feel 16 all over again.
Old 01-23-09, 09:20 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
There weren't any races in B'Burg when I lived there. I know my old boss at East Coasters (since moved on) started organizing races after I left. I think the picture you linked was at the start of a club time trial, thus the backpack. It was taken on Catabwa road a little ways down from the intersection of Harding and Lusters Gate.
Yes Mike has since moved on to Boulder and the shop is in a new place and seems to be still going strong. I still go down to Lusters Gate for TT training. It's about the only flat road around here
Old 01-23-09, 09:35 AM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rotharpunc
Just cause we are a little older...doesn't mean we can't look cool! We are cyclists. Hopefully, most of us are riding and keeping our weights down. That's 90% cool factor right there! Most guys our age look like crap cause their clothes don't fit so well (aka, out-of-shape).
Here's a tip from the TV show "What not to wear". Guys...don't wear baggy clothes! That looks bad. Get a size that actually fits and you are on your way to 99% coolness!
...I like the hair and beard...cool factor 10.
Old 01-23-09, 09:59 AM
Quixotegut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caterham
iirc, so did a lot of the women

and the really cool guys had lugged moustaches
Best quote ever.
Old 01-23-09, 10:10 AM
Quixotegut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotharpunc

I as well (1981) favor things with an aged apearance. Take a look at a modern road bike. These new ergodynamic fame shapes may be all well and good, but it detracts from the lines of a classic road bike.

I don't know why, and I don't really try to reason it out, but I like things made from before my birth and around that time. I love old Toyota Land Cruisers. I love International Scouts. I love the lines of the C&V bikes I see on this site. I love my dad's old brushed metal Sony stereo set, complete with the wood cabnet speaker stacks. I love old camera's for their sound, weight, make-up. I love good vintage tee-shirts from the thriftstore. I love looking around in thriftstores for the old kitchenware and such.

Truely, things of decades past have more "character".

I may not be old enough to have been part of the era's depicted in these pictures, but had the right ideas.
Old 01-23-09, 10:24 AM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Quixotegut
I as well (1981) favor things with an aged apearance. Take a look at a modern road bike. These new ergodynamic fame shapes may be all well and good, but it detracts from the lines of a classic road bike.

I don't know why, and I don't really try to reason it out, but I like things made from before my birth and around that time. I love old Toyota Land Cruisers. I love International Scouts. I love the lines of the C&V bikes I see on this site. I love my dad's old brushed metal Sony stereo set, complete with the wood cabnet speaker stacks. I love old camera's for their sound, weight, make-up. I love good vintage tee-shirts from the thriftstore. I love looking around in thriftstores for the old kitchenware and such.

Truely, things of decades past have more "character".

I may not be old enough to have been part of the era's depicted in these pictures, but had the right ideas.
Me too.
And I still have mine!
Old 01-23-09, 10:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,798 Times in 2,589 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
Yes Mike has since moved on to Boulder and the shop is in a new place and seems to be still going strong. I still go down to Lusters Gate for TT training. It's about the only flat road around here
Mike had an orange Viner back then. He had just gotten into riding seriously around that time. I took him out to Catabwa, and he was toasted. Which was a bad thing, because we met a very friendly Great Dane on 311 that probably would have walked back to Blacksburg with us at the pace we were going. I sent Mike on ahead and finally managed to out sprint the dog on a downhill. It's funny seeing the pictures of Mike back in the '70s. Those were some fun times, we didn't know anything. They actually managed to get Bruce Springsteen to go to the store for a beer after a free concert he gave at Tech. It was after hours, I missed it.
Old 01-23-09, 10:45 AM
Quixotegut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricohman
Me too.
And I still have mine!
Hell yes. Thats one nice Cruiser.
Old 01-25-09, 07:15 PM
bmaxwell

Bikes: Nishiki Saga, Nishiki Olympic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I posted this in a thread here on the C&V and it got moved to the FOO thread. I wanted to share it with all of you on this topic. I thought it was just priceless the title or it is... Top reasons to date a cyclist. enjoy....

Type: Common Interest - Dating & Relationships This is from facebook, see what happens in the middle of the night when you can't sleep.... you discover obscure places on the net. Thought this was too good to pass up. Have fun with this thread.

Description: That bulge isn't just the chamois.

Balls of steel.

We can go for hours and hours even when it hurts.

We know how to take it easy.

We know not to go real hard right from the beggining.

Smoother legs than you.

Skin tight lycra is real easy to take off.

Can you say perfectly sculpted legs?

Better power-to-weight ratio than a small car.

We don't need booths to get our amazing tan...lines.

Perfect ass.

Diamond cut calves.

Incredible thigh definition.

Who else can perform for over 5 hours a day for 20 consecutive days?

When it gets hard, we find a rhythym and pound away.

We go hard and push until it gets even harder.

Some days we feel the need to attack, explore, and adventure.

We know that everything needs to be properly lubricated before it can be used to its full potential.

Even when we're about to explode, we can always hang on a little bit longer.

We always have water bottles and snacks laying around for those those times when it gets real long.
Old 01-25-09, 07:50 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for posting, bmaxwell. Now I think I may take this bicycling a little more seriously!
Old 01-25-09, 08:02 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, bmaxwell, I thought that was originally here in C&V. They probably just figured it was better suited for there, though. Oh well, the respones were great for that.
-Gene-
Old 01-25-09, 08:19 PM
bmaxwell

Bikes: Nishiki Saga, Nishiki Olympic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ya that is why I brought it back to here.... i just thought it was too much fun. LOL and it is probably better suited for the FOO but it also fits with the topic here... doesn't it?
Old 01-26-09, 08:31 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A fun thread indeed. Good to see the passion lives on all these years. For some of us, it was rediscovered before it was lost. I dusted off my old bike in the following thumbs, during my separation with my ex-wife. Jumped back on it, and nearly died of a heart attack! LOL! The Avocet Racer II gave way to a cushier saddle, and swapped on a pair of Look style pedals. I ended up shedding 30 lbs, and have kept it basically off.
The pics were taken in '86 I believe. In Staten Island, NY. Please forgive the 80s Miami Vice look
I built that bike during junior year of high school (Brooklyn Tech class of 82), and continued to upgrade it. I still have her in the garage.
I don't have any recent biking pics. Might be a more recent one posted in a Foo thread.