Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flash or steady for rear light?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flash or steady for rear light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 07:02 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Steady for me. Flashing/occluding/pulsing lights make it harder for other road users to judge your distance and speed and cause target fixation.

It's important to be seen from the back but more important to be seen from the front: most accidents happen at intersections.

If you must run flashing lights on the road, please, please! switch them to steady when you get to the MUP. Thank you.
During daylight hours, the flashing light would be noticed--the bike and rider are far larger objects and certainly, especially if the rider is wearing good visibility gear, he or she (+bike) will be used to judge distance and speed. At night, I agree that running a flashing or strobe only in the front would seem dangerous. I use my MagicShine 808e on low and steady at night since flashing 1000 lumens would be dangerous to approaching cars. Even running the light on full, 1000 lumens, would be like driving with high beams on at approaching vehicles. In addition to the 808e, I do use a weaker, smaller front light flashing to hopefully catch the driver's attention. But, during the day, it's bright enough for drivers to see me and flashing 1000 lumens is not blinding--it's visible in daylight. The rear light is always on flashing...unless I were to ride in a group with others behind me.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 09-17-12 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:10 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I run two lights front and back. One steady one flashing. In a pace line I drop the flashing.
Old 09-17-12, 02:36 PM
rlp

Bikes: Franco Kanan, Santana Arriva and Beyond Tandems

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At night I run a random flash on the back with dual headlights up front. Since I need to see the road they are a solid beam one points high the other closer to the tire. Since I am not commuting anymore I can adjust my route to avoid riding into the sun. When I was commuting I would also attach a light to my jersey or jacket to get random movement as I pedaled.
Old 09-17-12, 03:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,764 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
This relates to the difference between those European countries and the U.S. in terms of how driving is treated. To put in simply, in Western Europe, a license to drive is expensive and difficult to obtain and easy to lose. In the U.S., a license is trivial to obtain and very difficult to lose. Think of how many times people are struck by motorists in the U.S. and the motorist says, "I didn't see him." and gets off without even a citation. In Europe, that's an admission of guilt and incompetence to drive.

Therefore, their motorists tend to be more highly skilled and more attentive to what they are doing. Thus, their cyclists are required to use a light that allows the motorist to accurately asses a cyclist's position, which a steady light does. Here in the States, if a motorist can accurately assess a cyclist's position, then he/she is more likely to cut it too close and it is only a matter of time until one of our incompetent motorists misjudges the size/position of his/her car and ends a life. We need a larger buffer of space here, so we use flashing rear lights on bikes because it is more difficult to precisely locate where the light is and that usually causes a motorist to give more space when passing.

To avoid target fixation problems, use a light that is too bright for a motorist to stare at and aim it where their eyes will be. In my opinion, wimpy lights like the Planet Bike Super Flash and Super Flash Turbo are just bright enough to attract drunks. Dinottes, and similar extremely bright lights, do the job. Of course, this job would be better done by removing the ability of drunks to drive, but that's more of a P&R topic.
Which knowledgeable thread did this come out of? True Americans are born with a steering wheel in thier hands. I think the difference is we have more cars than bikes.
Old 09-17-12, 03:51 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Which knowledgeable thread did this come out of? True Americans are born with a steering wheel in thier hands. I think the difference is we have more cars than bikes.
I tend to agree with B.Carfree. It's much more comfortable riding a bike in Europe than in North America. Yes, there are jerks in both places, but there are far more of them in North America, and furthermore, they are inept. The standard Euro rental car comes with a standard transmission, because the assumption is that Europeans know how to drive. In North America, you have to specifically ask for a car with a manual (I don't consider it "driving" unless you're shifting the gears yourself, but that's just my motorist arrogance!). Americans may be born with a steering wheel in their hands, but Europeans also have a gearshift lever in addition, and a bit more respect for cyclists.

That said, I normally run a L&M Urban 300 on the front at the 150W setting to save on batteries, but during the hours of twilight (when I can still read the computer), I have it on flashing. I'll also run it steady if I'm climbing out of the saddle, as my eyes are slightly in front of the headlight and the flashing becomes distracting. The taillight is a Portland Design Works Dangerzone unit that I usually run on the crazy flashing setting, but it's a real pain to be riding behind someone with this setting, so I avoid riding in groups at night, or I have it set to steady for the nighttime segments of randonneur rides.

The whole idea of a flashing light being more visible appears to come from peoples' suppositions, and not supported by any real evidence one way or the other. I'd be curious to know which bikes get hit the most by cars, those with steady or with flashing lights? And normalized for the proportion of riders who use each type of light. If almost everybody uses the flashing setting, then most of the hits would be to bikes with flashing lights. But is the number consistent with the split in usage?

Luis
Old 09-17-12, 03:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
This relates to the difference between those European countries and the U.S. in terms of how driving is treated. To put in simply, in Western Europe, a license to drive is expensive and difficult to obtain and easy to lose. In the U.S., a license is trivial to obtain and very difficult to lose. Think of how many times people are struck by motorists in the U.S. and the motorist says, "I didn't see him." and gets off without even a citation. In Europe, that's an admission of guilt and incompetence to drive.

Therefore, their motorists tend to be more highly skilled and more attentive to what they are doing. Thus, their cyclists are required to use a light that allows the motorist to accurately asses a cyclist's position, which a steady light does. Here in the States, if a motorist can accurately assess a cyclist's position, then he/she is more likely to cut it too close and it is only a matter of time until one of our incompetent motorists misjudges the size/position of his/her car and ends a life. We need a larger buffer of space here, so we use flashing rear lights on bikes because it is more difficult to precisely locate where the light is and that usually causes a motorist to give more space when passing.

To avoid target fixation problems, use a light that is too bright for a motorist to stare at and aim it where their eyes will be. In my opinion, wimpy lights like the Planet Bike Super Flash and Super Flash Turbo are just bright enough to attract drunks. Dinottes, and similar extremely bright lights, do the job. Of course, this job would be better done by removing the ability of drunks to drive, but that's more of a P&R topic.
Hmm!!

Looks like the proof is NOT in the pudding, at least according to these diagrams and charts - comparing deaths per 1 billion kms.:

Germany 7.2
France 7.7
Denmark 8.2
United State 8.5
Austria 8.9
Spain 11.7
Poland 23.5
etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemi...cle_collisions

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-17-12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 05:58 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
It was like an offset flashlight with a strap, clear forward and red back.
I remember those. I was wearing one on my right arm the one day I was hit by a car.

Marc
Old 09-18-12, 10:48 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Check your local regulations. In many European countries, flashing tail lights are not permitted.
Here in the UK all vehicles had to have a "Steady" rear light. With the introduction of the LED lights- It was noted that if set to Flash- then you would be noticed better by other road users. Problem was that it was illegal as the rules stated a "Steady" rear light so I started using two lamps on the rear- One Steady and one flashing. Ulterior motive was that when riding- I never noticed if a rear lamp fell off or stopped working so two were safer. Even the Police had to agre that flashing lights were more noticeable and I do not know when the law was changed- but bikes can now use flashing lights.

Common sense does prevail sometimes.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-18-12, 01:09 PM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Last week I noticed a flashing red light way down a dark street. Immediately recognized it as a bicycle. Might have thought a steady state was a driveway reflector. Just an observation
Old 09-18-12, 03:58 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,764 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Here in the UK all vehicles had to have a "Steady" rear light. With the introduction of the LED lights- It was noted that if set to Flash- then you would be noticed better by other road users. Problem was that it was illegal as the rules stated a "Steady" rear light so I started using two lamps on the rear- One Steady and one flashing. Ulterior motive was that when riding- I never noticed if a rear lamp fell off or stopped working so two were safer. Even the Police had to agre that flashing lights were more noticeable and I do not know when the law was changed- but bikes can now use flashing lights.

Common sense does prevail sometimes.
You'd have to think that's meant for cars. Flashing would be a hazard/turning vehicle. Being as vulnerable we are to car hits, I'd put bikes as a hazard. The idea is to get noticed. Has anyone here been sited for a flashing light?
Old 09-20-12, 01:36 PM
mrosenlof
Slowpoke

Bikes: old Stumpjumper, Riv Simple One, Riv Cheviot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flashing red on the rear, sometimes two of them. I wear a road worker type reflective vest also, that's really the majority of my backward facing light. Steady white up front. Haven't ridden at night in a few months, but that will change shortly with the length of the day.
Old 09-21-12, 07:02 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Funny you should bring up those '70s leg lights... Back in High School, I rode my 26" 3-speed very early in the morning - I was on the swim team, and the only time we could get pool time at the YMCA was to be in the water at 6am. That meant getting out the door at 5:30 or so... The Y was about three miles from home, and I rode to practice every day, including when there got to be snow on the ground. No sidewalks back then either. I used a leg light. Then I had to ride to school (about two miles) then of course home from school at the end of the day.

Now, when I ride to work in the early morning (just after sunrise) on a 45mph State highway for 9 miles, I have a USCG-approved 1 D-cell Xenon strobe light zip-tied to my rear rack, facing the rear. It flashes about 60-80 times/minute. It came with three different color lenses, and I use the amber lens on it. As an approved USCG strobe, it is meant to be seen for 2 miles. People do see it! My commute is a total of 11 miles one way, and generally takes about 35-40 minutes. One D-cell is good for about 40 hours of use. Cost? about $15 from MajorSurplus.com when they're on sale...

Old 09-22-12, 10:11 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
We had on of those leg lights. But it's original purpose was when sailboating, it was attached to your life-jacket. I later re-purposed it for evening inline skating. At Halloween we would hide it in the bushes.
Old 09-22-12, 05:41 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sheesh. Remind me not to bike in Poland.
Old 09-22-12, 08:03 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj

Good light. I remember them from my sailing days. The web site does not seem to have any. Do you have an exact link, or is it a hit-or-miss type of thing?
Old 09-24-12, 05:07 PM
Cougrrcj

Your wish is my command...

https://www.majorsurplus.com/Strobe-Light-P14355.aspx
Old 09-24-12, 06:46 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
This is a huge controversy. Europe says steady is better because it provides the driver a constant a light to which to judge distance from the light better, America says flashing is better because it alerts the driver to something different on the road. Personally I say both are best!! That's what I do. I use my brightest and main light which is currently a BlackBurn Mars 4 (which I will be changing it to a Light & Motion Vis 180) is on steady mode; but my Cateye LD600 helmet light and my Soma Road Flare bar end lights are on flash.

That's just the way I do it, not saying it's the absolute best way, but I don't think there is a absolute best way. So I figured what the heck just combine the two ways and go with it.
Old 09-24-12, 06:57 PM
jon c. 

Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
As a driver, I prefer (that is I see sooner and better) riders with flashing lights. So that's what I ride with.
Old 09-24-12, 08:54 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I flash people all the time. Wait - What was this thread about? Oh, never mind, I thought . . . ummm, never mind.
Old 09-24-12, 09:07 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I flash people all the time. Wait - What was this thread about? Oh, never mind, I thought . . . ummm, never mind.
do you have pictures?
Old 09-25-12, 05:37 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
do you have pictures?
Old 09-25-12, 05:38 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Please, no pics just TMI, Noooooooo.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-25-12, 07:19 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by dalameda
There have been some recent studies that would seem to confirm the moth effect - flashing lights draw the drivers attention and they sometimes steer in the direction that their attention is focused. Google the "moth effect". Having said that, I still use a flashing light in the back.
Here's a quote from one of those articles: https://roadrules.ca/content/roadside...nd-moth-effect

Studies of warning lights within the last few years have looked at light output, flash rate, color and reaction to light emitted. When many emergency vehicles are at a crash site—the usual case—the proliferation of blinding and distracting warning lights can actually make the area even more dangerous. They distract and blind both the official responders and other motorists.

“The Moth effect” is the term coined for the high number of incidents in which motorists crash into parked emergency vehicles sitting on the shoulder illuminated by their bright flashing lights. Theories for this effect focus on the human instinct to look towards light, and the tendency to steer in the direction on which attention is fixated. But as Tom Vanderbilt notes in the book “Traffic”, “the simplest explanation may be that most drivers, upon seeing a car on the highway, assume that it is moving at the same high speed as everyone else—and cars with flashing lights are usually moving even faster that that.” By the time a driver understands what is actually happening, it may be too late to avoid the crash.
Old 09-25-12, 01:31 PM
Cougrrcj

I have to add that I also wear one of those hi-visibility yellow-green T-shirts. On the sunrise commute I add an orange mesh safety vest with the yellow reflective stripes over the T-shirt... The bike has three 2" diameter red reflectors - one on the rear of the rack and one on each seat stay, PLUS the pedal reflectors. My helmet also has reflective tape. I want to be SEEN!!!
Old 09-25-12, 11:03 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Here's a quote from one of those articles: https://roadrules.ca/content/roadside...nd-moth-effect

Studies of warning lights within the last few years have looked at light output, flash rate, color and reaction to light emitted. When many emergency vehicles are at a crash site—the usual case—the proliferation of blinding and distracting warning lights can actually make the area even more dangerous. They distract and blind both the official responders and other motorists.

“The Moth effect” is the term coined for the high number of incidents in which motorists crash into parked emergency vehicles sitting on the shoulder illuminated by their bright flashing lights. Theories for this effect focus on the human instinct to look towards light, and the tendency to steer in the direction on which attention is fixated. But as Tom Vanderbilt notes in the book “Traffic”, “the simplest explanation may be that most drivers, upon seeing a car on the highway, assume that it is moving at the same high speed as everyone else—and cars with flashing lights are usually moving even faster that that.” By the time a driver understands what is actually happening, it may be too late to avoid the crash.
The moth effect is caused by flashing, it is not caused by constant on lights. That's why I have my main tail light on steady. Now the others are on flash but their not quite as bright, and I think having a combination of steady and flashing might be better then just all one or the other...but I have no way of proving that, I just know I haven't been rear ended ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.