Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 04:21 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9662 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,507 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Home2suites is my preferred. It’s right out side the exit. Keep in mind Clt charges uber drivers like 30 bucks, so it will prolly be close to 50 bucks one way. They do have a shuttle though.
Thanks. Shuttle is fine. All we need is a bed/bath.
Old 02-19-24, 04:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
When I last flew out of CMH, there was a Fairfield I could easily walk to, and a airport parking lot adjacent. A great idea.
That'll be a long walk for a Saturday morning at midnight.
Old 02-19-24, 04:28 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3285 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
That'll be a long walk for a Saturday morning at midnight.
Ten minute walk from the ticket counters.
Old 02-19-24, 04:29 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
when I fell yesterday I felt a sharp pain in my ribs area. I kept going and didn’t really feel it during the rest of the ride. Now it hurts randomly when I breath, but I also feel pain in my back, adjacent to where my rib pain was. Certain movements make the pain in the back really sharp, and sometimes when I take deep breaths I feel the pain in my back too. No visible bruising. Thoughts?
plenty....about your ailment? You should get checked out if it's bad. But you won't. Cuz yer stubern!
Old 02-19-24, 04:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10546 Post(s)
Liked 12,126 Times in 6,209 Posts
Since I have the day off and it's been stormy, and when not stormy it's windy AF, I decided to go ahead and mount the 32mm Corsas on the DT Swiss rims that the Canyon came with, and move the 28mm GP5Ks to the Fulcrum 600DBs I bought so I'd have a dedicated wheel and tire for the trainer. The Corsas took some work to get the bead seated - and this is with a tube. Pumped up to 100 psi and STILL had to squeeze/massage the tires to get the bead to pop in. The GP5Ks, despite being on the DT Swiss rims for months if not a year or two, were sheer hell to mount on the Fulcrum rims.

So, I measured the fully inflated 32mm Corsas to use the Silca tire pressure app. 30mm. Hmmm. So I checked the GP5Ks. 29mm. So, I might not feel much difference!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-19-24, 04:33 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Ten minute walk from the ticket counters.
CMH to CTL is over 400 miles.
Old 02-19-24, 04:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 3,319 Times in 1,736 Posts
Funny, we just started talking about Ebikes on club rides for the first time last Tuesday at our monthly board meeting. A divisive topic for sure. I think many of us felt that pedal-assist (Class 1 and 3?) are OK on our C and D level rides, but not on the A ride or B ride. And no throttle-type Ebikes on any ride - is that class 2? I don't remember.

I don't seem to encounter them much in my avenues of cycling - solo training, racing and A pace rides. And I'm all for them from a utilitarian perspective, especially for commuting. But, they seem to be a hot topic for most middling club riders, which is understandable IMO.
Old 02-19-24, 04:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22711 Post(s)
Liked 9,068 Times in 4,212 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I imagine yh screaming after a big sneeze would probably hurt, too, right?
I reckon.
Old 02-19-24, 04:40 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
One of the regular Ladies in our club bought herself a "e" 'lectric road bike for her 70th birthday. And showed up on a hillyish century ride. She wasn't exactly making friends with her up hill pace setting! Lol. One guy in particular was quite worked up about it. She'd go up the hill @ 21 mph and wouldn't get out of the way on the way down. He was rather lathered about it by the time we were done. I can see where it's going to be a problem for some.
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-19-24, 04:43 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10261 Post(s)
Liked 5,236 Times in 2,243 Posts
Thanks. Shuttle is fine. All we need is a bed/bath.
It’s the closest, cleanest hotel. The breakfast isn’t bad either.
Old 02-19-24, 04:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11003 Post(s)
Liked 4,687 Times in 2,152 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Dang is the UAE ITT 90 miles? That's what's on our Arizona roadie hero's Strava, might be some warmup?

Maybe ITT is tomorrow, I haven't been paying attention 'til now.
Pretty sure today was a road stage and ended in a sprint. 12.1 km TT tomorrow.

Old 02-19-24, 04:45 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10261 Post(s)
Liked 5,236 Times in 2,243 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
plenty....about your ailment? You should get checked out if it's bad. But you won't. Cuz yer stubern!
stubbornness is my greatest trait.
Old 02-19-24, 04:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8380 Post(s)
Liked 9,264 Times in 4,555 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
She is banned. That is really an easy decision.
I would support that but it would be a decision by the board which would take a number of members complaining. Maybe if they told her to stay off the back at least she wouldn't be a menace to society. I think I will bring it up to the president, I ride with him sometimes.
Old 02-19-24, 04:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I just had a close encounter with some bozo on an e-fatbike. He made a left turn at a 4-way without apparently slowing down. No helmet, and it was one of the throttle-controlled ones. Basically a low-power electric motorcycle. I sneered my contempt at him, but it's rainy out so I don't think he could see my disdain.

Speaking of group rides, I'm giving serious thought to rejoining PenVelo's Saturday ride, at least once a month or so. I figure once we move to Wherever, I might want to find some group rides just so I can scope out the best routes, plus maybe even (shudder...) socialize a bit. And I'm two decades out of practice at pack riding. I don't know if they still have a "Recreational/Century" sub-ride like they used to. That, too, was 20 years ago. If it's just the racers, I doubt I can keep up.

They used to do a well-mannered double paceline for the first 8 miles down Canada Rd - not a rotating paceline. The front two pull off to the left and drop back. Then they stop for entirely too long in Woodside town square, I guess for people who don't think to arrive at the ride having already peed, before the pace starts to creep up and the ride strings out, so that 4 miles later it's moving pretty fast. That was about where the racers would depart, leaving us mere mortals to struggle on.

Old 02-19-24, 05:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12903 Post(s)
Liked 7,828 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Pretty sure today was a road stage and ended in a sprint. 12.1 km TT tomorrow.
Yeah it took me a minute but I finally figured it out

That sprint was a doozy!!!

90mi TT would be epic though.
Old 02-19-24, 05:12 PM
big john

Originally Posted by TMonk
Funny, we just started talking about Ebikes on club rides for the first time last Tuesday at our monthly board meeting. A divisive topic for sure. I think many of us felt that pedal-assist (Class 1 and 3?) are OK on our C and D level rides, but not on the A ride or B ride. And no throttle-type Ebikes on any ride - is that class 2? I don't remember..
It's the rider who makes the difference. Someone who has raced and done group rides for decades should know how to be safe and not irritate others. They know to not blow up the ride. I think it's ok for them to motorpace the group if that's what the group wants. This woman, though, does not belong in a faster paced group. This is someone without the experience or skill needed and she should at least stay at the back.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-19-24, 05:21 PM
big john

I just had a close encounter with some bozo on an e-fatbike. He made a left turn at a 4-way without apparently slowing down. No helmet, and it was one of the throttle-controlled ones. Basically a low-power electric motorcycle. I sneered my contempt at him, but it's rainy out so I don't think he could see my disdain.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-19-24, 05:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Speaking of group rides, I'm giving serious thought to rejoining PenVelo's Saturday ride, at least once a month or so. I figure once we move to Wherever, I might want to find some group rides just so I can scope out the best routes, plus maybe even (shudder...) socialize a bit. And I'm two decades out of practice at pack riding. I don't know if they still have a "Recreational/Century" sub-ride like they used to. That, too, was 20 years ago. If it's just the racers, I doubt I can keep up.

They used to do a well-mannered double paceline for the first 8 miles down Canada Rd - not a rotating paceline. The front two pull off to the left and drop back. Then they stop for entirely too long in Woodside town square, I guess for people who don't think to arrive at the ride having already peed, before the pace starts to creep up and the ride strings out, so that 4 miles later it's moving pretty fast. That was about where the racers would depart, leaving us mere mortals to struggle on.
One of my friends is active in a club near you. I think it might be Alto Velo, does that sound right? He is a retired pilot and only a semi-serious cyclist.

I can get more info if you want.
Old 02-19-24, 05:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by TMonk
Funny, we just started talking about Ebikes on club rides for the first time last Tuesday at our monthly board meeting. A divisive topic for sure. I think many of us felt that pedal-assist (Class 1 and 3?) are OK on our C and D level rides, but not on the A ride or B ride. And no throttle-type Ebikes on any ride - is that class 2? I don't remember.

I don't seem to encounter them much in my avenues of cycling - solo training, racing and A pace rides. And I'm all for them from a utilitarian perspective, especially for commuting. But, they seem to be a hot topic for most middling club riders, which is understandable IMO.
We had this debate in our club. Some people argued very hard that e-bikes should be banned.

We ended up compromising that it’s up to the discretion of the ride leader.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-19-24, 05:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Is that larry with an actual shirt on!!!!!!!!
This must be from that thread where he asked whether he, a 6'2", 260 lb guy could fit on a 50cm bike, because it was free.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-19-24, 05:35 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Quoted: 28821 Post(s)
Liked 1,888 Times in 1,342 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Gonna put some shorts on cuz it feels like I'm in a Seeds-like latitude right now.
I'm at the same latitude and it's nothing of the sort.

Originally Posted by badger1
A little, but nothing significant really. Still pretty chilly (high was around -4C today), but not bad. This winter has, to this point, been a non-event.
It was +4C Saturday and freezing cold.
Originally Posted by LAJ
I saw them at Mile High Stadium.
At the concert?
Old 02-19-24, 05:38 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 12013 Post(s)
Liked 6,765 Times in 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Our club doesn't allow E bikes.
Kudos.
Old 02-19-24, 05:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by datlas
One of my friends is active in a club near you. I think it might be Alto Velo, does that sound right? He is a retired pilot and only a semi-serious cyclist.

I can get more info if you want.
I see Alto Velo kit all the time, but I think they're more Palo Alto area, whereas Pen Velo is more San Mateo area, so whereas Pen Velo's ride start at Canada and 92 (about 4 miles from here by car, or 7 by bike), Alto Velo's start 15 miles away in Palo Alto. Hell, I used to ride from home to do the Pen Velo rides. It just adds 15 miles to the total distance!

Old 02-19-24, 05:40 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 12013 Post(s)
Liked 6,765 Times in 3,531 Posts
Flag was shredded before it got to the top of the pole.

Something about shouldn't we finish our 2023 retirement contributions before we spend more money on toys?
Uh oh.
Old 02-19-24, 05:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I see Alto Velo kit all the time, but I think they're more Palo Alto area, whereas Pen Velo is more San Mateo area, so whereas Pen Velo's ride start at Canada and 92 (about 4 miles from here by car, or 7 by bike), Alto Velo's start 15 miles away in Palo Alto. Hell, I used to ride from home to do the Pen Velo rides. It just adds 15 miles to the total distance!
Looks like they have a C ride from Summit Bicycles in Palo Alto which might be worth checking out.

https://www.altovelo.org/c-ride
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.