Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXIX

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 06:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I like it but very controversial topic in our house...

Do you pronounce it car-a-mel or car-mel? I accept both.
For some reason "KARmel" was always the Kraft pronunciation in their commercials back in the '50s. As a kid growing up in New Orleans where proper pronunciation has always been a high priority (witness BurGUNdy Street ) I never could understand that. Back then it was pretty standard to just attribute such departures from normalcy as the fault of Communism. Dem was de days.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-25-18, 06:10 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,226 Times in 4,277 Posts
Useful map. Apparently the 3 syllable is typical in the UK and 2 syllable in the USA.

Old 02-25-18, 06:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Stupid rain means I am heading down to the basement for some more trainer time.

Phooey.
Old 02-25-18, 06:20 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

After driving back from the funeral in New Orleans last night, we stopped at Little Pappas Seafood Kitchen for dinner. We could see the women's curling competition on the bar TV, and Mrs. rpen naturally asked how such foolishness could ever become established. I pointed out that curling is really a kind of bocci, patanque, boules, shuffleboard, etc. on ice. She was not satisfied, so I explained that people who aren't sensible enough to move south have to invent silly ways to spend their time that allow them to pretend they really like winter. Not just curling, but somersaults on skis and boards, and all the other stuff. She bought into that, but then asked why ice fishing was not an Olympic sport. BOOM!

Actually the imagery of such a thing is pretty funny. I mean a string of wooden huts on a frozen lake with fat guys sitting inside each one wearing flannel shirts, corduroy pants and unlaced boots, drinking beer and sitting over a hole in the ice with a fishing pole dangling into it. The announcer whispering into the microphone so as to not disturb the fish. Medals awarded according to either biggest fish or most beer consumed. Now that would be Olympic gold. Gold I say, Jerry.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 02-25-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 06:38 AM
rpenmanparker 

We have a "paver" driveway running the full length of our three-unit townhome complex. After 12 years it had settled some and was collecting water in spots since the slope to the street was very shallow. I noticed that all the other long townhome driveways in the neighborhood are graded to use a number of grating-covered concrete catch basins down the length with a pipe running underground and emptying them through the curb into the street. So we just had that modification installed as part of having the pavers relaid and leveled. I notice that the drain pipes are not installed at the very bottom of the basins so there will always be standing water in them. In mosquito country that is really not so desirable. What do you guys think of adding sand, pea gravel, etc. to the basins to bring the bottom up to the level of the outlet pipes? There will still be water in the filler, but I wouldn't think it would be as conducive to mosquito breeding. On the other hand the water without filler would get mixed up when rain ran into the basin and kept from getting nasty. With the filler, the water might just sit in the gravel and fester. Thoughts?

BTW, the driveway now drains great.
BTW BTW, I plan to ask the contractor about my idea.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-25-18, 06:53 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,802 Times in 2,189 Posts
Catch basins are built that way on purpose to catch sediment and prevent expensive pipe repair.

You do know that you need a plastic shovel to clean the basin out occasionally, don’t you?

Old 02-25-18, 07:08 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Catch basins are built that way on purpose to catch sediment and prevent expensive pipe repair.

You do know that you need a plastic shovel to clean the basin out occasionally, don’t you?
I do now. Can you send me one down from your supply?

Thanks for the info about the sediment. That makes sense. Glad I asked. The gravel idea seemed like such a good one.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-25-18, 07:17 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,802 Times in 2,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I do now. Can you send me one down from your suppy?
Don’t have one. We use manly metal shovels around here.

Old 02-25-18, 08:15 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,656 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
I'm not going to say today was a bad bike ride because there aren't many as long as nobody gets hurt. I will say it wasn't a good bike ride. I had such hopes too because of the bike ride earlier in the week and the (small amount of) time on the trainer but it was not to be. We can blame the lack of sleep or that time of the month or the lack of adequate breakfast or the cold but, whatever the cause, I was slow today and LoP was gracious enough to accommodate that slowness.

It was somewhere between 37 and 41A when we got on the road and nobody ever sleeps well when they have a set time to wake up which is earlier than their usual time. (I recently learned this is called "performance anxiety". Who knew?) I had several sips of coffee and a honey stinger which is often enough but not when it's this chilly apparently. I hadn't packed things the way I needed so everyone stopped so I could eat some Shot Blox and we stopped by the skate park to use the bathroom- which admittedly everyone used- and the people we rode with said it was all good but I felt badly about holding everyone back. Nothing hurt or got sore despite the cold so that was good but we still only averaged 8.7mph. We got back to the bike shop and LoP went to the back to change into his regular clothes and one of his coworkers yelled "Hey! The new Sports Illustrated is in and it's lot of fun to look at because they're all on a warm beach!"

And I just thought, "You have excellent timing. I already feel full of fail because I was so slow today. I'm wearing long underwear, bibs, a tank top, a long sleeved jersey, a down vest oh and LoP's shoes, which are several sizes too big, because I didn't want to walk to lunch in my road shoes. My hair is completely limp and mashed to my head because I wore a wool hat under my helmet. And now you're going to present us with pictures of bikinied women somewhere between half and a third of my age frolicking on a beach. Thank you so much!" My only consolation was thinking that they probably wouldn't have been up at that hour riding in the cold but, for all I know, they could be competitive cyclists moonlighting as models.
Builds character.

Old 02-25-18, 08:15 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 4,926 Times in 2,846 Posts
We eat care a mel in these parts.
Old 02-25-18, 08:18 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
One could eat them like cereal. Yummy.
Oh, right.
Old 02-25-18, 08:40 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Useful map. Apparently the 3 syllable is typical in the UK and 2 syllable in the USA.

UK adds a random 'Y' as well, probably.
Old 02-25-18, 08:42 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I do now. Can you send me one down from your supply?

Thanks for the info about the sediment. That makes sense. Glad I asked. The gravel idea seemed like such a good one.
That was such a proactive idea to pre-add the sediment.
Old 02-25-18, 08:43 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That's the 2017 1.1. we we're trying to figure out why it was more expensive than the 2018, but didn't have much time to look in to it.
They're spec'd the same. 2017 was the first year for the Jari and it's in a young category, so Fuji probably just whiffed on the initial pricing.
Old 02-25-18, 09:00 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

After driving back from the funeral in New Orleans last night, we stopped at Little Pappas Seafood Kitchen for dinner. We could see the women's curling competition on the bar TV, and Mrs. rpen naturally asked how such foolishness could ever become established. I pointed out that curling is really a kind of bocci, patanque, boules, shuffleboard, etc. on ice. She was not satisfied, so I explained that people who aren't sensible enough to move south have to invent silly ways to spend their time that allow them to pretend they really like winter. Not just curling, but somersaults on skis and boards, and all the other stuff. She bought into that, but then asked why ice fishing was not an Olympic sport. BOOM!

Actually the imagery of such a thing is pretty funny. I mean a string of wooden huts on a frozen lake with fat guys sitting inside each one wearing flannel shirts, corduroy pants and unlaced boots, drinking beer and sitting over a hole in the ice with a fishing pole dangling into it. The announcer whispering into the microphone so as to not disturb the fish. Medals awarded according to either biggest fish or most beer consumed. Now that would be Olympic gold. Gold I say, Jerry.
I don't see wooden huts around here these days.

Old 02-25-18, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,212 Times in 7,610 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I remember taking the train up to Montreal. Cruising along the west shore of Lake Champlain I saw countless huts out on the ice, but that was in 1997.
Old 02-25-18, 09:10 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by rjones28

That is not an approved hut. Disqualified. Must be made of alder wood. I can send you the required dimensions if you like.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-25-18, 09:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Discussing with mrs datlas, if the Saturn dies, should I get a Fit or a Civic? I think the Fit is more my style, and although it’s smaller it has more carrying flexibility. Plus cheaper.
Old 02-25-18, 09:11 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by f4rrest
That was such a proactive idea to pre-add the sediment.
No fooling around in these parts.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-25-18, 09:12 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,212 Times in 7,610 Posts
The cover story in the latest edition of "Adventure Cyclist" is "Steel is Real Confusing." Something to do on a rainy Sunday morning.

BTW...Saw "Three Billboards..." yesterday. Very good film. Rockwell, McDormand and Harrelson all give excellent performances.
Old 02-25-18, 09:12 AM
rpenmanparker 

Discussing with mrs datlas, if the Saturn dies, should I get a Fit or a Civic? I think the Fit is more my style, and although it’s smaller it has more carrying flexibility. Plus cheaper.
Goes without saying. Jus' sayin'.

And by the way, is that French? Like ploo cheaper as in more cheaper.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-25-18, 09:13 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The cover story in the latest edition of "Adventure Cyclist" is "Steel is Real Confusing." Something to do on a rainy Sunday morning.

BTW...Saw "Three Billboards..." yesterday. Very good film. Rockwell, McDormand and Harrelson all give excellent performances.
It is on my list.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-25-18, 09:15 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,944 Times in 1,370 Posts
Stupid rain means I am heading down to the basement for some more trainer time.
It's a great day for curling though.
Old 02-25-18, 09:15 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,037 Times in 4,273 Posts
I think it's time for a minivan
Old 02-25-18, 09:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by indyfabz

We want to see it but hard to find a cinema showing it out in Suburbia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.