Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 06:00 PM
ncdave45

Bikes: Trek 2300, Specialized E5, Schwinn Sierra 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was that from Front Royal?
Old 05-27-12, 06:02 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It is my opinion Memorial Day weekend is not a good time to ride the roads with, likely, numerous drunks on the hunt for unwary cyclists. As a cautious man, I decided to ride the bike path despite the crowds and just be another tourist. The secret of a pleasant ride on MUP is, don't expect too much and keep the speed about the same as everyone else and smile much.

My tactic for the day worked as I did have a pleasant day. This was the first day to feel like summer with almost hot temps and high humidity with distant views having a blue haze. I was not bothered a bit by the idiots riding three abreast but I do wonder why other idiots would pick a major holiday weekend for their training ride on such a popular place.

Water ways always seem to teem with wild life. At the first saltwater pond, which has a nesting family of falcons in a man made stand one of the parents was having fun with the resident swan by making repeated strafing runs. I stopped to watch for a while until the falcon tired of the game or maybe felt the technique was perfected.

Further along, at Brickyard Pond, the new crop of baby geese are now getting quite large and look very healthy. This means next year the geese who now live here year 'round will have increased their numbers significantly again. There are now so many geese here no one need go hungry.

With just a few side trips the bike path is about 30 miles so I stopped on the return at the harbor side at Gray's Ice Cream store for some delicious and nutritious home made frozen yogurt to fuel the climb from the harbor to my place, a climb of 46 feet. I think I'll do it again tomorrow.
Old 05-27-12, 06:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Got in 121 miles yesterday on the highway and county roads.
Rode the last two hours at night and enjoyed my 3 bright headlights.

378 m for the week

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 05-27-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-27-12, 06:22 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Awesome ride Fred! Did you go with the red or the white?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-27-12, 06:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by John_V
Awesome ride Fred! Did you go with the red or the white?
Saving The White BMC for the Indy 500 track ride June 9th.

Now have 1600 mi on this one.

Old 05-27-12, 06:38 PM
BikinPotter

Bikes: Marin MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short hop over the hill to meet a friend for a movie. Then a short hop back up the danged hill home. I've challenged myself to practice riding hills. Only a 4% climb on the way over, then a swift downhill. 9.5% grade going back, which I was not able to do. Had to push the bike to the top. Oh, well. At least I rode.
Old 05-27-12, 07:09 PM
kajero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it! I rode 2.5 miles today on my new bike! It is the longest ride I've taken since my April 14th crash. I broke 9 ribs, my collarbone and slighlty fractured my shoulder bone. But I rode today for a "long" time for me!
Old 05-27-12, 07:11 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by kajero
I did it! I rode 2.5 miles today on my new bike! It is the longest ride I've taken since my April 14th crash. I broke 9 ribs, my collarbone and slighlty fractured my shoulder bone. But I rode today for a "long" time for me!
Ouch nine times...

Old 05-27-12, 07:14 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
40 miles, some really nice full effort blasts on the roads. Nice and slow on the bike path. I love the heat. About 80 f and humid.
Old 05-27-12, 07:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by kajero
Great job there kajero, it is a good start.

I rode this evening to get away from the 96* heat and the humidity. Did my short out and back as a series of moderate sprints (if that makes sense, I am coming back) Made pretty good time on the sprints, actually. Did work up a good sweat and felt great when it hurt a bit in the lungs!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-27-12, 07:30 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BikinPotter
Short hop over the hill to meet a friend for a movie. Then a short hop back up the danged hill. I've challenged myself to practice riding hills. Only a 4% climb on the way over, then a swift downhill. 9.5% grade going back, which I was not able to do. Had to push the bike to the top. Oh, well. At least I rode.
I never met a hill I couldn't walk up.

I was going to ride 45 miles on a club ride. My oldest daughter asked if I'd like to ride with her tomorrow. She'd only be good for 10-15 miles. So I told her to take a hike.

Naah. I didn't feel like a long ride anyway.

Old 05-27-12, 07:39 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rode a nearby hill on my single right out of my door for the first time. I was a bit skeptical since I had pushed pretty hard on the tandem yesterday, but I definitely needed a bit of a climbing workout. The single's lowest gear is 34-32, very low for someone young and/or fit, but not particularly so for a senior citizen. The tough stretch is 2 miles at 9.5-12% grade, but not knowing that in advance I didn't work as hard as I might have. All in all a very satisfying ride on a beautiful spring day.

Oh, and it's a dead end ranch road, sort of middle of the road toughness-wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20120527, Quien Sabe.jpg (19.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-27-12, 07:49 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
Did 45 miles on the tandem today, following the route of a C&V ride I've organized for next weekend. Beautiful day for a ride. Saw some interesting wildlife.

A bit later we saw a turkey in the road, strutting and clucking loudly...

apparently guarding the rest of his flock

While we watched a car came up the road from the other direction and slowed. The turkey apparently took it's advance as an aggressive gesture and decided to be aggressive back. While the driver tried to go around him he started pecking at the car tire. This continued for at least 50ft. The driver stopped to chat with us while the turkey kept up its aggression on the other side of the car. Eventually the car drove away and we took the opportunity to pedal away before the turkey decided to attack us.

It was a good day.
Old 05-27-12, 07:56 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
It is my opinion Memorial Day weekend is not a good time to ride the roads with, likely, numerous drunks on the hunt for unwary cyclists. As a cautious man, I decided to ride the bike path despite the crowds and just be another tourist. The secret of a pleasant ride on MUP is, don't expect too much and keep the speed about the same as everyone else and smile much.

My tactic for the day worked as I did have a pleasant day. This was the first day to feel like summer with almost hot temps and high humidity with distant views having a blue haze. I was not bothered a bit by the idiots riding three abreast but I do wonder why other idiots would pick a major holiday weekend for their training ride on such a popular place.

Water ways always seem to teem with wild life. At the first saltwater pond, which has a nesting family of falcons in a man made stand one of the parents was having fun with the resident swan by making repeated strafing runs. I stopped to watch for a while until the falcon tired of the game or maybe felt the technique was perfected.

Further along, at Brickyard Pond, the new crop of baby geese are now getting quite large and look very healthy. This means next year the geese who now live here year 'round will have increased their numbers significantly again. There are now so many geese here no one need go hungry.

With just a few side trips the bike path is about 30 miles so I stopped on the return at the harbor side at Gray's Ice Cream store for some delicious and nutritious home made frozen yogurt to fuel the climb from the harbor to my place, a climb of 46 feet. I think I'll do it again tomorrow.
I was the object of strafing a few times, on the bridge. When I got far enough away from the nest they stopped. I'm guessing they wanted the swan to leave the area. They followed me for about one third of the lenght of the bridge.

There are only three Falcon nests in the state. One in Providence, the salt pond, and the one on the Mt. Hope bridge. Apparently three is a lot?
Old 05-27-12, 08:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Not quite as hot early this evening as it was this morning - 16+ miles in a bit less than an hour.
Old 05-27-12, 10:16 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I did this, anticipating the race in 3 weeks.

Well...if I can get in some decent long relentless climbs, sure. Otherwise, not so much. But it sure was pretty -- from the coast, with grasses, flowers, and big eucalyptus groves to seriously ferny, wet, lush redwood forests, and my snail's pace climbing ensured I got plenty of sight-seeing accomplished.
Old 05-28-12, 04:54 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Went for a 12 mile spin yesterday, 95 degrees. Saw this Dickcissel from the trail .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dickcissel, wbsz.jpg (101.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-28-12, 05:23 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I was the object of strafing a few times, on the bridge. When I got far enough away from the nest they stopped. I'm guessing they wanted the swan to leave the area. They followed me for about one third of the lenght of the bridge.

There are only three Falcon nests in the state. One in Providence, the salt pond, and the one on the Mt. Hope bridge. Apparently three is a lot?
Ah, you are local to me, I ride in Providence and the area quite a bit. I use Legends Bicycle on Brooks St. for most of my stuff. Maybe I will run into you one of these days!
Old 05-28-12, 07:55 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
35 miles this morn. First ride since the "disagreement" with the car on Friday. Everything went well...and yes, I stopped.

@kajero
Old 05-28-12, 07:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
35 miles this morn. First ride since the "disagreement" with the car on Friday. Everything went well...and yes, I stopped. @kajero
Good to see you back out.

Old 05-28-12, 08:09 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I wish this shoulder would hurry up and heal so I can drive my truck and not be dependent on others to drive me to the MUP. I'm getting envious of all you guys.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-28-12, 11:47 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Yay!

I rode down to my eldest daughter's house and then we went on a 22 miler into town. Every year they shut half the streets down for the Mayor's Ride, so it was nice to be able to wander about without much fear of traffic. Then I rode back.

My daughters are very attractive, and every now and then I get this "well, she's young enough to be your daughter" vibe, which is funny because she is my daughter. Harrumph.

Almost forgot. My average moving speed was so high I got pulled over and pistol whipped by the cops.

Old 05-28-12, 03:22 PM
RaymondK43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7.5 miles at 31 minutes.
Old 05-28-12, 03:41 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did 22 miles just after sun up this morning before it started getting hot and windy.

I put in about 120 miles on the motorcycle this afternoon looking at some possible new rural bicycle routes. Several of the routes will allow me to start out pedaling into a southerly headwind and coast back to the start with a tailwind. I stopped and watched some guys flying RC model airplanes. Nice relaxing day.

P.S. I got restless this evening so I went out for a quick 13 miler on the urban hybrid bike. So I guess I am up to 35 miles for the day.

Last edited by Mort Canard; 05-28-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 04:29 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
After 45 tandem miles yesterday and 45 tandem mile the day before, my sweetie let me go out solo. Did 47 on the Masi. I could fall asleep right here at my keyboa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.