Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 02:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 4,481 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I guess it will go on the C&V sales site, unless someone speaks up. Smiles, MH
But who wants 531 when you can have gaspipe?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-19-23, 02:39 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 3,782 Times in 1,517 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
But who wants 531 when you can have gaspipe?

-Kurt

Kurt,

I'm starting to see that there may be hope for your after all.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-19-23, 05:25 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

So I found this thing out in the garage, to be used for the Le Grande. The only question is - is it good enough for the Le Grande?

No, it is not.

So! We need to send it out for a little makeover. What, you may say? Well, I won't give away too many details, but I'll say I'm sort of in a 'Millium Mood', so we are going to see if we can shed some weight and do it in a very stylish way.

The RD is going to take a little trip to the spa, while we focus on other parts of the build. Stay tuned.
Old 04-19-23, 06:30 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2539 Post(s)
Liked 3,363 Times in 2,107 Posts
The carcass:

Frame and fork with the Raleigh seat post bolt, and new drop out adjustors

With decals from OZ. I found out after clear coating it is a 1977 Comp GS

Fork blades without chrome socks, it came that way after a paint job by Keith Anderson

The size from center of BB I am reading at 54-54.5 cm
I guess it will go on the C&V sales site, unless someone speaks up. Smiles, MH

That really is a pretty color choice. Looks like 53 CTC.

I think you made a wise decision to wake up. My brother Jake and sister Rosa were hoping a change was gonna come in your thinking. And putting fenders on there will help steer you right in the fallin' rain, rather than notice that is your blood down there.

Hey, I just tell it like it is.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-19-23, 07:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 1,174 Posts
Ah yes, jdawginsc ,
I have reversed course after a visit to Sister Rosa and will keep the Raleigh in the barn. The voodoo reversal was excruciating and involved a bit of Creole rationality. I have had a bit of gris-gris applied to me and now feel a bit better. I almost sent the group to CO while in a voodoo fog. I am super glad that Sister Rosa was able to set me free from this oppression. I am finally close to back to normal after the voodoo attack Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-20-23, 04:49 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,124 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I’m thinking about one of these. Did you ride on it? If so how was it?

Nice looking bike in the raw!
Stack Height is about 41.5mm.

Obviously the grey color in the picture shows the result of the out gassing of the plastic. I treated it with Black Out which can be found at any automotive store. I think it protects against UV. It doesn't last forever so repeat applications are needed.
The last time I showed this picture was a few years ago mad maybe a couple of decades of pages on this forum. I thought I might keep it in the raw, but others have tried, and corrosion happens. The only way to treat the steel is with WD 40 every couple of years. The frame is intended to be painted BRG with tan saddle and tape.
The bike was disassembled for paint and has been in that state since 2013.
104_PaTrek. on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 04-20-23 at 05:07 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 04-20-23, 08:24 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by scarlson
I have two of these headsets. The B.10 "Hinault" I think they were called. Sometimes you can find Hinault inscribed on the top nut. Anyway, they came on some Treks in the early '80s. One is on my Vitus 979 and has been for years and has not given me a lick of trouble. Another I know of is on member mhespenheide's Trek and also hasn't given him any problems, although for some reason his crown race is aluminum. My crown race is delrin. Mind you, not the bearing surface. Those are separate inserts made of steel. Anyways, I have found the delrin Stronglights to be reliable and fine and really not that rare. I think there's one on ebay for $25ish right now actually.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it. But my testimony stands. They are absolutely fine. I have had no difficulties. And it's not like I treat that Vitus with kid gloves either.
If there is just one singular person that I would trust to speak to the durability of any single bicycle related item, it is you. I remember pouring through your Trek 600 rebuild thread and hearing about all your other stuff that broke and couldn't help but thinking 'man this guys breaks a lot of stuff!' but you've got the chops to fix all of it so I have mad respect for what you do.

I think I saw that one for $25 on the bay...I'll give it some thought. For now, we are staying elite/snobby with the Super Record stuff, but eventually we may go 'starvation diet' mode with the bike, to try and lighten it up as much as possible - sort of like trying to dig to China with a spoon.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-20-23 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-20-23, 08:30 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Ah yes, jdawginsc ,
I have reversed course after a visit to Sister Rosa and will keep the Raleigh in the barn. The voodoo reversal was excruciating and involved a bit of Creole rationality. I have had a bit of gris-gris applied to me and now feel a bit better. I almost sent the group to CO while in a voodoo fog. I am super glad that Sister Rosa was able to set me free from this oppression. I am finally close to back to normal after the voodoo attack Smiles, MH

I have no idea what y'all are talking about, but the jokes and poking fun are all welcomed here Happy Thursday! Updates will abound!
Old 04-20-23, 10:05 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 723 Posts
If there is just one singular person that I would trust to speak to the durability of any single bicycle related item, it is you. I remember pouring through your Trek 600 rebuild thread and hearing about all your other stuff that broke and couldn't help but thinking 'man this guys breaks a lot of stuff!' but you the chops to fix all of it so I have mad respect for what you do.

I think I saw that one for $25 on the bay...I'll give it some thought. For now, we are staying elite/snobby with the Super Record stuff, but eventually we may go 'starvation diet' mode with the bike, to try and lighten it up as much as possible - sort of like trying to dig to China with a spoon.
Ha, honored!
I do not know why I break a lot of things. Been that way since I was a kid. I broke a Phil BB and a Record hub flange at age 14! Then moved on to wheels and Blackburn racks before I graduated to frames. Now half the time when I break something I end up finding someone broke it most of the way for me and I just finished it off. Or maybe that's just what I tell myself so I can feel better.

But somewhere along the way I developed an eye for broken things, and It's gotten to the point where my friends get scared when I start looking at their bikes. Sometimes I wonder if I'm like that kid in the sixth sense. You know? I see broken things. People use them just like regular things. They only see what they want to see. They don't even know they're broken.
Like, maybe everything is broken. To some degree. It's just how I see the world now. You know how many people are probably blissfully riding around on Trek 61x frames and forks with cracks in them? Probably all of them! I just haven't seen them yet!
Old 04-20-23, 06:11 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

But somewhere along the way I developed an eye for broken things, and It's gotten to the point where my friends get scared when I start looking at their bikes. Sometimes I wonder if I'm like that kid in the sixth sense. You know? I see broken things. People use them just like regular things. They only see what they want to see. They don't even know they're broken.

Oh man...

Please for the love of all that is good, lovely, and innocent in the world never get near the Le Grande - it might just fall apart from you looking at it too closely...

Old 04-20-23, 06:19 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Okay!

Well, the build must go on, and I did something today that I've been meaning to do for a while now, and that is send some things out to the 'bike spa'. It turns out AZ has one of the best ones, famous from back in the day, but then closed its doors for a time. But. Rumor has it that it has once again been accepting worthy projects.

Projects like the Huffy.

Therefore, I deduce that if you wish to take advantage of the bike spa, you might have the best luck if you pick yourself up a Huffy

Sending out the 'bike spa' package

I decided to rike to the post office on the 'less-than-the-Le-Grande' bike...which every bike, except the Le Grande, is now the 'less-than-the-Le-Grande' bike. 531 tubing? Less than the Le Grande. Ride 'thrill factor'. Less than the Le Grande. Weight? Absolutely less than the Le Grande.

I decided to take the dirt path back home, and it was a bit of a by-the-seat-of-your-pants ride. Lots of fun. Would have been more fun on the Le Grande, but I'll take it.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-20-23 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-20-23, 06:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,505 Posts
This thread is so funny. It helps that to get the humor, you need a lot of highly specialized knowledge. But it also means we can't share it with many others.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-20-23, 08:29 PM
Mad Honk 

noglider ,
You should be aware that the specialized knowledge is the special sauce that makes this so much fun. The part about the Neville Brothers is just a bit of the fun. By now you should have received the fork for you Lambert frame and there was a secondary gift in the box for you. I am wondering if you even opened the box. smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-20-23, 11:02 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 723 Posts
Oh man...

Please for the love of all that is good, lovely, and innocent in the world never get near the Le Grande - it might just fall apart from you looking at it too closely...

[photos of pure horror censored to spare us from looking at them again]
How exactly is that frame held together? Brazed? Welded? Paint doubles as a glue? Brooklyn chewing gum?

I think I have seen better penetration in the MIG welds of a Bosal aftermarket muffler. Actual footage of the Bosal aftermarket muffler factory below..
Old 04-21-23, 01:58 AM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts
How exactly is that frame held together? Brazed? Welded? Paint doubles as a glue? Brooklyn chewing gum?

I think I have seen better penetration in the MIG welds of a Bosal aftermarket muffler. Actual footage of the Bosal aftermarket muffler factory below..
Not to get too technical, but you have to assume that the material used to bond/braze/weld(???) the subject frame could be any of the above. Also, if there was any gas surrounding the tube joints at time of fabrication it is doubtful that it was from a high pressure gas cylinder. More likely it would have been a byproduct from the worker’s lunch.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 04-21-23, 08:22 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
Not to get too technical, but you have to assume that the material used to bond/braze/weld(???) the subject frame could be any of the above. Also, if there was any gas surrounding the tube joints at time of fabrication it is doubtful that it was from a high pressure gas cylinder. More likely it would have been a byproduct from the worker’s lunch.

Who knows! I was telling a friend (sounds like William Wude) about it, and he had maybe thought it was after I had painted the frame, as in, maybe there was an adhesion problem and it showed up recently. Nope! Cracks were there from the start (maybe a factory option???) when I picked it up! I noticed the seat cluster soon after I got the frame, and was pretty concerned about it...but the closer I looked, the more I thought that maybe it was just an artifact due to messy mitering. The top tube does not extend into the seat tube, and of course it is lugless, so it is in effect a small fillet brazed joint. The very edge of that joint, where it looks like a crack is, is the tail end of the top tube, and it looks as though the paint just maybe never made it on there very well, or since it is a high spot, it poked up a bit from the paint and simulated a crack. Or its a crack haha, but after I rode it 100 miles, I sort of forgot about it.

Then! AFTER the 100 miles, I noticed the bottom tube / BB transition. I got concerned for about 2 seconds, and then just started laughing. I mean, it held together, right? I do just think it is the paint, as I have a pretty good visual of that joint from the inside of the BB (LOTS of room to look around from that perspective), and you can pretty clearly see the braze joint, and it looks pretty solid. But, I might have to fly scarlson in to have a look. I mean, better for it to just fall apart now during the build stage, right?

If we assume worst case scenario, and that those truly are cracks...we have a lot going for us right now:

1) It is a Huffy, so expectations = not out of line
2) We know about the 'areas of concern', so we can monitor them for change/growth/miraculous healing
3) If we get a crack, the tubing is thicker than normal AND fillet brazed, so braze repair: A-OK
4) Got a near-matching paint that will cover over any burnt off paint

Therefore, any true, legitimate crack will just be a small speedbump in the blissful journey of Huffydom!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-21-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-21-23, 09:21 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3645 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,858 Posts
4) Got a near-matching paint that will cover over any burnt off paint
No matter what anyone says, I think this is the key to happiness.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-21-23, 08:34 PM
Mad Honk 

My spin on this is: Paint covers a multitude of sins, including brazing issues and flaws in the tubes. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-21-23, 10:58 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by smd4
No matter what anyone says, I think this is the key to happiness.
My spin on this is: Paint covers a multitude of sins, including brazing issues and flaws in the tubes. Smiles, MH

Correction: Paint has now covered a multitude of sins, including brazing issues and flaws in the tubes. Although, if I really wanted to cover up all the flaws, I'd have to keep spray painting the frame over and over so much I'd eventually end up at 1 1/8", and wouldn't need to use any adapters anymore

Old 04-21-23, 11:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Quick update:

It's been a slow day at the Team Le Grande Racing Headquarters.

Unfortunately, no headset cups (yet!), and since about 1/2 the family is sick, I've been on watch duty for if/when the kids come out and need something, which = no garage time.

But it's all good. I'll find some time tomorrow or Sunday to get out there and redo the engine turning on the BB adaptors, regrease the Campy BB, and throw everything together and get some cranks installed

Now, in the meantime, to keep up with the pointlessness of this thread, I came up with an idea today.

At work, the guys were discussing the Nato Phonetic Alphabet, since we use it when we are on the phone with guys when they call in for tech support and stuff. One of the guys found a 'Redneck' phonetic alphabet, which was pretty funny (X = Ex-wife), and I thought that this is something I needed to do for the Le Grande build, since I may be on the phone with some of y'all and we may need to communicate more clearly.

Therefore, I present to you the 'Le Grande Phonetic Alphabet'. Please use it moving forward, in all pertinent communication with me.

A - Amazing
B - Barge
C - Confente-like
D - Dumpster
E - Elite
F - Floating
G - Gaspipe
H - Huffman
I - Italianesque
J - Jealous
K - Kiloton
L - Liberating
M - Marvelous
N - 'N'credible
O - Offensive
P - Panache
Q - Quick
R - Really Quick
S - Squealy
T - Team
U - Unbelievable
V - Vroom
W - WorldChampion
X - Xcellence
Y - Yowza
Z - Zoom

I'm open to suggestions for modifying, or you can make your own and we'll see whose is better. Best one wins (what, I'm not sure).

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-21-23 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-22-23, 12:31 AM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
These brakes work fine

You know Mad Honk, Kurt is right - put nothing past me.

But, in this particular case, why would I need Nuovo Record anything for the Paramount? I found a box of perfectly good parts in the garage that should work just fine!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
I took an old Mercier down the massive grade into Garden City, Utah at top speed with those brakes. And probably Walmart universal brake pads. They stopped fine (truly) !
The front fork would flex back noticeably as you squeezed harder and that was scary…

the drive side crank fell off halfway up on the return trip… glad it didn’t happen at 60mph on the way down!

I think the huffy build is neat and I have spent way too long reading it.

Don’t rush the process!
Likes For Tulok:
Old 04-22-23, 12:42 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Tulok

Don’t rush the process!
Oh, don't worry...we won't. You can be worried about everything else, and about me (personally), but that is one area where you needn't be concerned We are over 800 posts in and I think I've still just got a nearly bare frame.

Thank you for spenting an inordinate amount of your own, valuable personal time reading through such nonsense. I feel like I should almost apologize.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-22-23 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-22-23, 09:34 PM
Mad Honk 

AMCO,
J- Or maybe O- So some more idle chit chat about music that is way off topic. I was invited to a concert tonight on the IU campus put on by some of the students. The student group is the IU Soul Revue that has been around for 60 year now, A great concert and a show that rivals most professional productions. Some of the new music they covered was a bit new to me, but man what a show! The band backing the group up, had six horns, two drummers, two keyboardists, And the band did flawless personnel changes mid show. Now if we can only see some parts changes done with the same efficiency on the Huffy. Smiles, MH
Old 04-22-23, 10:09 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Now if we can only see some parts changes done with the same efficiency on the Huffy. Smiles, MH

It's a mighty tall ask...you know, 'progress'. Haha. Unfortunately, it's been a little bit of a rough night at HQ w/ some heath stuff, so I'm on sentry duty, which mean no stealing away to the garage tonight. But, let's make some fun out of it while we can.

I think that right now, we have 2 'real' Campy parts on the bike, the shifters and the front derailleur (that sucky cable guide doesn't count).

So, let's do some math (yes, your head will hurt, mine already does).

We are at 848 posts in, with 2 Campy components. That is 424 posts per part. Now, if you figure we still need to attach:

1) Campy Super Record bottom bracket
2) Campy Super Record crankset
3) Campy Super Record rear derailleur
4) Campy Super Record headset
5) Campy Super Record wheelset (yes, I'm generous enough to lump both wheels in together)

That is 5 more parts we'll need to add (I'm being merciful and not counting a Super Record post, although that may come eventually...

848 + (5 x 424) =

848 + 2120 = 2968

Therefore, I predict we'll be at somewhere around 3000 posts when things are all said and done

Now, taking things a bit further, we have 2120 posts to go (on average) for all the Campy to be attached, and only 42 days left to do it in, before the big event on June 3 when the bike will need to be ready. So...

2120 / 42 = 50.47

That is 51 posts per day. So, in order to reach our target, I imagine we'll need quite a lot of BS'ing happing in this thread, far more than previously thought.

This post is 64 days old, so at 848 posts, we're avg'ing about 13.25 posts a day. That's only 26% the rate we truly need. Therefore we are looking at wanting about a 300% increase in complaints, trolling, parody, arguing, and more to keep on schedule. Because, at the current 'BS' rate we are going, it would take us 160 days until all the Campy components are attached, and that just won't do

I'll really need all those lurkers to come through and start complaining about stuff, and then maybe things will start happening.

Old 04-22-23, 10:30 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Oh, and guess what guys! I learned something this evening.

I was watching some bike ad (all I do all day is sit around and watch facebook bike ads) and had a brilliant epiphany! Why in the world would I need to change any parts on the Huffy at all, to lighter, nicer, more well respected components?

My bike is already 'ultralight'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.