Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 02:20 PM
mistermog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, just got a 2017 7.3 today after looking at a handful of bikes. Looking forward to learning more about it.
Old 05-28-17, 05:17 PM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the 2017 would be an FX3. Here in Houston, TX, it comes stock with the 700x32 AW1 tire. I would personally recommend putting the AW2 tires on. A MUCH better tire and more durable. I don't use the stock seat. I really love this bike. Did 36 miles today.
Old 05-29-17, 07:11 AM
ad18

Bikes: TREK FX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought my new FX3 this past Saturday. Went on a 14 mile ride Sunday and couldn't be happier. Hope to read all the posts in here and get up to speed. Glad to be part of the FX club.
Old 05-29-17, 07:30 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by ad18
Bought my new FX3 this past Saturday. Went on a 14 mile ride Sunday and couldn't be happier. Hope to read all the posts in here and get up to speed. Glad to be part of the FX club.
The 1st Rule of FX Club is to post pics of said FX.
Old 05-30-17, 09:30 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek 7.2 FX with Thule Ridealong Mini child bike seat

Old 05-30-17, 02:09 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
great setup, finch. hope you and the kiddo put a bunch of fun-filled miles on it
Old 05-30-17, 04:22 PM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sh00k
great setup, finch. hope you and the kiddo put a bunch of fun-filled miles on it
Thanks! I try to take him on bike rides at night when the weather is acceptable.

I have searched for a bit and couldn't find anyone else using a front mount child bike seat on a Trek FX. Hopefully my post here helps another cyclist in the future.
Old 05-30-17, 05:56 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts

The FX series is in many ways just a basic sort of bike, but they are very nice looking bikes too.
Old 05-31-17, 01:23 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
Thanks! I try to take him on bike rides at night when the weather is acceptable.

I have searched for a bit and couldn't find anyone else using a front mount child bike seat on a Trek FX. Hopefully my post here helps another cyclist in the future.
I am going to do the same when my daughter is older - she's only 8 months right now but a good friend of mine gave me his gently used baby seat (similar to the one on your fx) and a trailer that can haul 2 kids. I can't wait!
Old 05-31-17, 03:07 PM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sh00k
I am going to do the same when my daughter is older - she's only 8 months right now but a good friend of mine gave me his gently used baby seat (similar to the one on your fx) and a trailer that can haul 2 kids. I can't wait!
It will be fun when you can finally take your kids on bike rides. We will probably get a trailer too when he outgrows the bike seat and install it on the FX as well.

Make sure to get the pediatrician's approval first before going on the first bike ride. In my case, when I asked the doctor about it, all he said was make sure he has a helmet and that the weather is not too hot or too cold for him.
Old 06-08-17, 09:39 PM
lyjohn11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi everyone. question for all of you. i was at a Trek Store today and they had the 2017 FX 2s with bottle cage and kickstand installed for $489 + tax. at my LBS they did not have the kickstand and bottle cage installed. the only thing i can think of is that it was a demo so they took the kickstand and cage off? to boot, the LBS price is $520 + tax. the only thing i can think of in the difference in price is the markup. what am i missing on this? are the kickstand and cage included ONLY if i buy direct from Trek?

also, i may have located a totally different LBS that has a brand new 2016 7.2 FX model in my size, but in the waterloo blue (meh on the color). i haven't gone to ride it yet. it's the same price as a 2017 FX 2. if i can live with the blue, i think i'll buy that due to components.
Old 06-09-17, 06:24 AM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lyjohn11
hi everyone. question for all of you. i was at a Trek Store today and they had the 2017 FX 2s with bottle cage and kickstand installed for $489 + tax. at my LBS they did not have the kickstand and bottle cage installed. the only thing i can think of is that it was a demo so they took the kickstand and cage off? to boot, the LBS price is $520 + tax. the only thing i can think of in the difference in price is the markup. what am i missing on this? are the kickstand and cage included ONLY if i buy direct from Trek?

also, i may have located a totally different LBS that has a brand new 2016 7.2 FX model in my size, but in the waterloo blue (meh on the color). i haven't gone to ride it yet. it's the same price as a 2017 FX 2. if i can live with the blue, i think i'll buy that due to components.
I bought the 2017 FX3 and it didn't come with the water bottle holder or kick stand. I could have used my old water bottle but I decided to get a new white bottle holder to go with the white bike. About 2 months later, I did have a kick stand put on.
Old 06-09-17, 03:43 PM
lyjohn11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy1955
I bought the 2017 FX3 and it didn't come with the water bottle holder or kick stand. I could have used my old water bottle but I decided to get a new white bottle holder to go with the white bike. About 2 months later, I did have a kick stand put on.
Oddly enough, I'm now weighing the FX3 as a possibility now that I've ridden it (good job sales guy Eric at Trek!!). I should've never ridden it!! I confirmed too, the FX3 doesn't come with cage or kickstand. the FX2 does. The carbon fork is amazingly different. the difference in components is minimally noticeable at best.
Old 06-09-17, 07:51 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Liked 768 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by lyjohn11
The carbon fork is amazingly different.
After back-to-back on a carbon fork vs. alloy fork on the "same" bike, I'm curious to hear what you feel is different. Does the ride feel softer? Lighter? Does the steering seem lighter? Do you think there's the same amount of brake flex with the carbon fork, or more or less? Thanks.
Old 06-09-17, 08:24 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
After back-to-back on a carbon fork vs. alloy fork on the "same" bike, I'm curious to hear what you feel is different. Does the ride feel softer? Lighter? Does the steering seem lighter? Do you think there's the same amount of brake flex with the carbon fork, or more or less? Thanks.
Here's my 2 cents.

Before I took delivery of my new bike a few weeks ago, I rode a lot of different upright bikes with carbon and aluminum forks for a couple months. They all rode about the same, the carbon fork bikes did feel lighter in the front, but that may have just been in my head. I couldn't feel any noticeable brake flex, not saying that there isn't any, but if there is, its very minimal. One thing that stood out with a carbon fork was how much better it rode over rough roads. We have a lot if brick roads in my area, and the carbon fork seemed to soak up the harshness of the road better than a ridgid metal fork. The carbon fork almost felt like a suspension fork, there was very little to no road vibration telegraphed to my hands. Though most bikes I was riding were flatbar road bikes with high pressure tires, I'm sure there wouldn't be as much noticeable difference if I were on lower pressure tires.

Even though I bought a carbon frame bike, I'm somewhat on the fence cost wise, about having a carbon fork on a ridgid metal frame bike with low pressure tires.
Old 06-10-17, 07:00 AM
lyjohn11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as the other user noted, the biggest difference for me was road vibration through the fork to the handlebars. with the carbon fork, the ride was a lot smoother. weight is also a factor for me. i will be bringing my bike up and down stairs almost daily. i'm still mulling and will go back again today for more riding.
Old 06-11-17, 09:09 PM
TooFatForLycra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I am looking into hopping into the cycling world.

I'm interested in the fx S4 and S5. Mainly because they seem to be on the faster side of hybrid bikes. But I do have one question. How well would the S4/5 hold up on gravel/crushed limestone trails?

I notice one of the bike trails near by has about 2 miles of gravel

Last edited by TooFatForLycra; 06-11-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 09:15 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TooFatForLycra

I'm interested in the fx ds4 and ds5. But I do have one question. How well would they hold up on gravel/crushed limestone trails?

I have the DS 4 and I ride hard pack and gravel trails often. The bike is great on those trails as well as paved trails.
Old 06-11-17, 09:18 PM
TooFatForLycra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jase33
I have the DS 4 and I ride hard pack and gravel trails often. The bike is great on those trails as well as paved trails.
Ah sorry i meant the fx s4 and s5. I have too many bikes on the brain. Lol

The ds is the other bike i am considering if gravel is a no go for the fx
Old 06-11-17, 09:20 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah sorry i meant the fx s4 and s5. I have too many bikes on the brain. Lol
In that case I know people who ride the same trails as I do and ride the FX. I am not sure which models but I see them on old rail trails. Its a very good bike.
Old 06-11-17, 09:26 PM
TooFatForLycra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jase33
In that case I know people who ride the same trails as I do and ride the FX. I am not sure which models but I see them on old rail trails. Its a very good bike.
Thank you!
Old 06-12-17, 08:18 AM
finch204

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm interested in the fx S4 and S5. Mainly because they seem to be on the faster side of hybrid bikes. But I do have one question. How well would the S4/5 hold up on gravel/crushed limestone trails?

Just a heads up in case you aren't aware, the FX S 4 and the S 5 while still FX bikes, are almost different bikes. The FX S 4 is the regular aluminum framed FX bike with a carbon fork. The S 5 is a full on carbon bike using the Domane frame. It is basically a flat bar Domane with disc brakes. Trek considers the Domane a gravel bike, so I think both S 4 and S 5 bikes will do well enough on short gravel trails. The S 4 comes with slightly wider 28mm tires than the S 5.
Old 06-13-17, 10:48 AM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'll chime in as well on just a bit of vibration dampening. After about 1500 miles on my FX 3, I'm pleased with the ride and feel of the carbon fork.

- Cpt. Bob
Old 06-16-17, 05:50 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I'll chime in on this thread - after some heavy comparison shopping between the Giant Escape 2 and the Trek FX 2, including multiple trips between bike shops today to test ride, I am the happy owner of a Trek FX2. I have to say that the Trek of Cincinnati store in Ft. Wright Kentucky provided me with the best service I have ever received from a bike shop, bar none, and that was a help in deciding - along with the fact that the Trek fit me better.

I know, pics or it didn't happen, so here you go:

Old 06-16-17, 06:31 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice bike !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.