Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bikedirect.com? The prices sound so good.....

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bikedirect.com? The prices sound so good.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 02:46 AM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't send pm to people yet, so I guess I'll post it on here....
Hello, do you guys think this pannier will fit on the moto cross titanium? Like does those silver arms have holes to be attached to? I have provided a link below.
https://www.amazon.com/SunLite-45772-...cmu_pg__header

or the moto cross need a monostay adapter?

Last edited by Mr.IDontKnow; 12-03-11 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-04-11, 06:54 AM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.IDontKnow
Hello, do you guys think this pannier will fit on the moto cross titanium? Like does those silver arms have holes to be attached to? I have provided a link below.

You may have mentioned before and I missed it or maybe you didn't... why is it that you're set on the titanium frame Motos? Don't get me wrong, if I had $1700 to spare I would probably pick up the Ti Pro too. You did mention a desire to put a rack on it and to have a wide variety of gearing options. The Fantom CXX (steel framed, Apex equipped) will give you a smooth ride, the wide gearing options, and a quality bike for much less money. It's got a 34 small ring and a 32 T big ring in back!

Or the Fantom Cross Outlaw which is actually pictured with a rack.

Either of these bikes would be a HUGE step up from your box store mountain bike and would give you the desired ride with much less out of pocket. $1700 is a great deal on a Rival equipped Titanium cross bike, but $800 seems like an even better deal if it's going to be primarily used as a commuter.

On the other hand, if you're going for the "bling" factor or recently had luck with a scratch off go for it!
Old 12-05-11, 02:19 AM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puckett129
You may have mentioned before and I missed it or maybe you didn't... why is it that you're set on the titanium frame Motos? Don't get me wrong, if I had $1700 to spare I would probably pick up the Ti Pro too. You did mention a desire to put a rack on it and to have a wide variety of gearing options. The Fantom CXX (steel framed, Apex equipped) will give you a smooth ride, the wide gearing options, and a quality bike for much less money. It's got a 34 small ring and a 32 T big ring in back!

Or the Fantom Cross Outlaw which is actually pictured with a rack.

Either of these bikes would be a HUGE step up from your box store mountain bike and would give you the desired ride with much less out of pocket. $1700 is a great deal on a Rival equipped Titanium cross bike, but $800 seems like an even better deal if it's going to be primarily used as a commuter.

On the other hand, if you're going for the "bling" factor or recently had luck with a scratch off go for it!
I want a titanium bike frame because I know the bike will out live me =) Also steel bikes rust, and I plan to just own ONE bike. So of course, I want a bike that will last me for years and years to come.
Old 12-05-11, 06:22 AM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want a titanium bike frame because I know the bike will out live me =) Also steel bikes rust, and I plan to just own ONE bike. So of course, I want a bike that will last me for years and years to come.
Don't assume that just because you get Ti it's going to last a lifetime. There are any number of reasons for Ti bikes to fail from poor quality tubes to bad welds. Also, don't assume that steel won't. Treated right, steel or even aluminum will last you as long as you will ever need it to. My 25 yo steel mountain bike is still rocking, and as a matter of fact was raced earlier this autumn. Your drivetrain will likely be the determining factor to get a new bike later on. Treat that right, and you'll get a longer life from bike no matter the material.

The best idea is to get a good quality frame from a reputable manufacturer whether its Ti, Al, steel or carbon.
Old 12-05-11, 06:45 AM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and I plan to just own ONE bike.
That's no fun!
Old 12-05-11, 12:17 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
After having participated in this thread, I now want a ti motobecane cyclocross bike!
Old 12-05-11, 08:07 PM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddubal
Don't assume that just because you get Ti it's going to last a lifetime. There are any number of reasons for Ti bikes to fail from poor quality tubes to bad welds. Also, don't assume that steel won't. Treated right, steel or even aluminum will last you as long as you will ever need it to. My 25 yo steel mountain bike is still rocking, and as a matter of fact was raced earlier this autumn. Your drivetrain will likely be the determining factor to get a new bike later on. Treat that right, and you'll get a longer life from bike no matter the material.

The best idea is to get a good quality frame from a reputable manufacturer whether its Ti, Al, steel or carbon.
Do you think the Ti frame from BD will last me for years to come? Also I am a very catious guy, so of course I will take care of my bike super well!! I heard carbon frames can get kill by deflected rocks?

"puckett129"
Also bikes are not cheap, so of course my mind set is like that.
Old 12-07-11, 02:31 PM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Do you think the Ti frame from BD will last me for years to come? Also I am a very catious guy, so of course I will take care of my bike super well!! I heard carbon frames can get kill by deflected rocks?

"puckett129"
Also bikes are not cheap, so of course my mind set is like that.

I have the BD Moto TI CX bike. I love it.

Keep in mind, it has a carbon fork. Most bikes do. Carbon can be damaged, but so can any other frame or fork material. Stuff happens.

If you hit a tree or a parked car with a TI bike it may be ok, but it may get damaged. It all depends.

I chose TI because I live in MN and there is gobs of salt and crud on the roads 6 months a year. That is harsh on any material.

Still, those other BD steel or alum bikes are good deals and would work well. AL will last well, it may discolor (under chipped paint). Steel will rust, but honestly that is a bit overblown as well. You can treat the frame with frame saver, etc.

In fact, I am planning to get one of those Steel/AL CX bikes for my wife.
Old 02-01-12, 08:51 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Liked 121 Times in 77 Posts
Remember, steel is the Thinking Man´s Titanium.
Old 02-01-12, 05:14 PM
irablumberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got the Fantom Cross Ti Team. It is a very nice bike. The wheels are a bit heavy. I replaced them with a set of Easton EA90SL wheels and race tires I had left over from my road bike and it made a huge difference in acceleration and response.

In answer to your question, because of the shape of the rear drop outs, there is very littly space around the eyelet where you would mount a rack. Initially I got a Topeak MTX rack made for disk mount frames and it would not fit at all. I then exchanged the rack for a regular Topeak MTX. This came closer to fitting. However, I had to grind the bottom of the mounting tabs on the rack to make it fit. Now that it is mounted, the rack is totally solid and well connected. Thus the rack you want may also require some modification to fit on the Fantom Cross Ti frame.

By the way, my experience with bikesdirect.com was very positive. The bike shipped very fast and was well packed. The bike was also mostly assembled. It took me less than 2 hours to unbox, assemble and adjust the whole bike and that was working very slowly and carefully.

Good luck,
Ira