Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Concussion prevention and helmets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Concussion prevention and helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 07:42 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 3,025 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I decided to do what that original OP did and sent a query off to a couple places (Bell, Giro, Lazer and MIPS). The only response I've received back, is the following nicely put letter from Bell. IOW, technically, everybody is right

[/I]
A courteous and sensible response from Bell. Send my regards.

Even his ultra-conservative caution though, doesn't make any distinction between MIPS and standard helmets. It's a helmet fit thing, not a MIPS functionality thing.

My winter/rain cap is quite a bit more bulky than a Headsweats... I anticipate it won't fit as well under my new MIPS helmet and I'll use my older helmet with the cap... because it'll fit better.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 04-05-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-05-18, 09:19 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I decided to do what that original OP did and sent a query off to a couple places (Bell, Giro, Lazer and MIPS). The only response I've received back, is the following nicely put letter from Bell. IOW, technically, everybody is right

The question: "I have a product question related to your cycling helmets. Can you advise if either MIPs and/or Non-MIPS helmets are safe to use with a helmet liner/cap underneath (eg. headsweats, skull cap, cycling cap, balaclava, etc.)? The literature is unclear on this."

The response:
"This is a great question. Technically, we have to advise against this, as all heads are different, and there are an infinite variety of caps, balaclavas, etc. one can wear under a helmet. However, if the helmet is snug and properly adjusted per the owners’ manual, and the cap is thin (a cycling cap, skull cap, etc., not a thick wool winter hat), we have never seen an issue in our retention testing. There is no research on this issue, perhaps because of the huge variety of caps available.

Certainly any cap will raise the helmet up and reduce the covered area of the head. Thicker caps would raise the helmet substantially more, and in some accidents this could present a serious risk.

I can tell you also that many of us here wear cycling caps or thin skull caps under the helmet, in particular in the winter.

Thanks.
Thom Parks
Senior Director of Product Safety
Bell Sports, Inc."
Perfect, thanks.

In other words, act with prudence. That, of course, is exactly the opposite of what their attorneys are trying to protect against.
Old 04-05-18, 05:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4761 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Serious question: have you (anyone) ever refrained from wearing a cap under your helmet because you thought it would be less safe?
Nope. I was refraining though from considering a MIPS helmet because I do usually wear a cap/beanie though. I'm still not sold on MIPS though in general. Regardless (or is it irregardless ), a tiny bit of general awareness that just perhaps a hat or such under a helmet is negatively impacting safety to a slight degree, can't be a bad thing.
Things I wouldn't do..
tug on Superman's cape
pull the mask off that old lone ranger
spit into the wind.
Old 04-05-18, 05:34 PM
JohnJ80

Nope. I was refraining though from considering a MIPS helmet because I do usually wear a cap/beanie though. I'm still not sold on MIPS though in general. Regardless (or is it irregardless ), a tiny bit of general awareness that just perhaps a hat or such under a helmet is negatively impacting safety to a slight degree, can't be a bad thing.
Things I wouldn't do..
tug on Superman's cape
pull the mask off that old lone ranger
spit into the wind.
The upside is that is very likely MIPS provides a serious benefit. The downside is really nothing - it won't do additional harm. The price adder for MIPS (or equivalent technology) now is minimal if any so I don't see any reason not to have it and only benefit (perhaps seriously so) if it does work. My bet is that it does.

btw,

Usage:
Irregardless is widely heard, perhaps arising under the influence of such perfectly correct forms as irrespective, but should be avoided by careful users of English. Use regardless to mean ‘without regard or consideration for’ or ‘nevertheless’.
J.
Old 04-05-18, 06:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4761 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
The upside is that is very likely MIPS provides a serious benefit. The downside is really nothing - it won't do additional harm. The price adder for MIPS (or equivalent technology) now is minimal if any so I don't see any reason not to have it and only benefit (perhaps seriously so) if it does work. My bet is that it does.

J.
You could be right.. I don't know. I did come across this thread though. If it is low-enough cost to at least introduce a line of MIPS-enabled helmets with appropriate pricepoints, why indeed are their helmet manufacturers who won't do it?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ding-mips.html
Old 04-05-18, 07:06 PM
JohnJ80

You could be right.. I don't know. I did come across this thread though. If it is low-enough cost to at least introduce a line of MIPS-enabled helmets with appropriate pricepoints, why indeed are their helmet manufacturers who won't do it?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ding-mips.html
I think that answer is to be found in looking at the business case. Bell bought into the Swedish MIPS company in a big way. That probably gives them preferential access and licensing. Probably explains why Poc - the first to use MIPS - is pursuing their own slip plane technology as is Smith or Scott (don’t recall which one is).

The good news is that safety innovation logjam because of the CPSC standards is, after 20 plus years, finally broken.

At this point, there is no reason to not have this technology. Pricing, fit, ventilation, aerodynamics or any desired combination of this is as good with (if not better) than without.

J.