Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what do you do with your keys and wallet when riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

what do you do with your keys and wallet when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 09:19 PM
bobbyl1966

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use pouch when i ride and i keep my wallet my keys and my phone. What thinks you take with you and how you setup your bike for century
Old 09-16-14, 09:22 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This is where the fanny pack really shines.
Old 09-17-14, 09:29 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loky1179
This is where the fanny pack really shines.
That's what jersey pockets really are, anyhow.

A long time ago I was indoctrinated to keep my ID in my shirt pocket (Navy OCS). In the ensuing 25+ years I've continued to do that, only now I also carry business cards, metro card, a credit card, and maybe a couple of bills in the same leather holder, which is just big enough to hold everything together. Regular wallet stays home during bike rides.
I hate keys, and keep them to a minimum at all times (SO glad I don't have a car, what with their giant keys/fobs), but they, along with phone and card wallet all go in jersey pockets. Fortunately, I'm not one to sweat profusely under even the worst circumstances, so while they may get a little damp, I've never been concerned about that. Also, I think I'd be more inclined to lose those things if I put them anywhere else but my jersey pockets.
Old 09-17-14, 09:34 PM
shyonelung

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently "graduated" from noob to sort-of-noob when I finally learned how to grab my water bottle out of the cage and drink while riding and therefore, ditched my Camelbak (I know, I told you I'm a noob). But the other day on a climb as the temps were warming, I unzipped my jersey. I got to the top and started down hill with my jersey flapping behind me and I suddenly remembered I had stuff in the back pockets (my essentials case, a half of a banana, GU ... the usual). Nothing fell out but it never occurred to me until that moment that stuff could.
Old 09-17-14, 09:58 PM
wallrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry only my home key and it's on a small clip. It clips onto one of my rear pockets with the key hanging inside the pocket. My wallet is my license, insurance card, 1 cc, and $20. They are rubber banned together and placed in the same pocket as my key.

I have 3 pockets on my jersey. From left to right I carry a bag of repair items which include a multitool, tire iron, a couple of zip ties, patches and 1 tube. That pocket also has a pump. In the middle pocket I have my phone, wallet, and keys. On my right pocket I'll carry food. This is for summer.

In the winter I use a saddle bag for my tool bag because I usually save one pocket for sleeves or a jacket I might have to take off.
Old 09-18-14, 12:03 AM
Josepha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take no wallet when riding, but with a bit of cash. And my keys and phone are placed into my ROSWHEEL Bike Bicycle Cycling Front Top Tube Frame Triangle Bag Pouch bought just $7.73. I hate to take lots of stuff when riding, so a small bag is ok.
Old 09-18-14, 12:08 AM
RoyIII

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a house key and a shop key (where the bike goes), about $5.00 my Y card and my health insurance card all together. I take my phone. I usually ride with a liner under shorts so I have pockets. I seldom ride wearing kit. When I do, everything goes in a back pocket.
Old 09-18-14, 07:56 PM
Atakuweh

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Icon Pro, 2013 Jamis Allegro Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cell phone, state ID card (I don't drive so no license), credit card, medical insurance card, and small amount of cash in wallet goes in rear center jersey pocket. Multi-tool wrapped in paper towels goes in left rear jersey pocket. Paper towels are handy if I have to handle a chain or wipe sweat from my face. Four Fig Newtons in a ziplock bag in my right rear jersey pocket. Yumm!!! House key in a little cotton bag in the right-right rear jersey pocket. That's all for me.
Old 09-18-14, 08:38 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't carry my wallet, just phone and the car keys if on a road ride i had to drive to. Phone goes in a ziplock. Nothing has ever fallen out on road, commute or mountain biking (including my attempts to joust with trees) if you are really concerned about keys, find a jersey woth a small, zip pocket. My Bontrager jersey has one.
Old 09-18-14, 09:12 PM
kevgoldb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has nobody mentioned Road ID? I consider that to be my state ID and insurance card because I have my emergency contacts on there (and I know its not really a state ID, but if I get pulled over thats going to be my excuse). I keep a $20 stuck in my saddlebag (its always a nice surprise when I'm reminded its there) and keep my phone and keys in my jersey.
Old 09-19-14, 09:39 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I keep a few dollars in my seat bag. My phone goes in a zip lock baggie and in my jersey pocket. If I have keys, I put leave them in my car or put them in my seat bag. I do not carry any identification other than my name and wife's cell number written on the bottom of my shoes with a big fat sharpie. (Yes, I should carry my ID but I always figured that the Crows that hover over me will show mercy and go get my wife)
Old 09-19-14, 09:44 AM
andr0id

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wallet and keys, left pocket; phone and cash, right pocket; compact 9mm adjustment tool, center pocket.
Gel and food get squished in wherever they might fit.
Old 09-19-14, 12:48 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
cellphone center back jersey pocket (silicon no-slip otter case)
regular wallet and car key+caribiner in large saddle bag (also holds clif bar, spare tube, levers, CO2, wetwipes)

Other keys are on a separate keyring and stay in the car. Even if I ride from the house, the floor pump lives in the back of the car so its easier to just carry the car key on the bike rather than shuttle around the various keyrings.
Its quick and simple to just carry the regular wallet rather than doing the minimalistic zip-lok thing each ride.

One of my friends ended a ride and realized somewhere en route his car keys escaped from the jersey pocket. PITB to mooch a 1-hour ride home, then get a ride back the next day with a spare key to retrieve the car and go backtracking a 60 mile route to revisit the c-stores to see if they found the key in their restroom; then get a new key from the car dealer.
Old 09-19-14, 06:58 PM
Hapsmo911

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't carry my entire wallet, just my DL, a credit card, and some cash in a ziploc in my jersey pocket.
What he said
Old 09-19-14, 07:08 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fanny Pack...
Old 09-19-14, 08:03 PM
02Giant 

Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Wallet is stashed in the vehicle, the keys go in my under-seat bag, and cell is attached to a mount on the stem.
Old 09-19-14, 09:00 PM
RISKDR1

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't carry a wallet. Just three cards. DL, debit card, health insurance card. I also have cash. For keys, just the car key. I leave the rest in the car locked up.
Old 09-19-14, 10:09 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I only ride from home, so my phone and wallet go in the seat bag.
Old 09-20-14, 12:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,004 Times in 1,423 Posts
I don't use a wallet anymore. I carry one of these WP cases:
ID and Badge Holders | Witz Waterproof Cases and Protective Cases for Canon Cameras, iPhones, and ID's
in a front pocket of my civvies and transfer it to my saddle bag, with car key inside. No more sitting on my wallet.

I also don't carry change anymore. Grams, you know? I just get rid of it if I should be unable to use a cc, which is rare. So that's all very simple. The case is very well made and lasts pretty much forever, unlike a plastic bag.

I also carry a Rider ID. They won't search your stuff, they'll just cut your clothes off and load you up.
Old 09-20-14, 01:38 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i never bring a wallet on a ride, i don't know anyone that does. some cash and my cell phone go in a Ziploc bag in my jersey pocket, and a single key to either unlock my car (if i drive to a ride) or unlock my front door (if i ride to a ride) gets slid up the leg of my bib shorts. if i drive to the ride, the actual car keys with my house keys are placed in my transition bag with my change of clothes in the back of my car for when i get back from the ride and change...
Old 09-20-14, 02:00 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
I refuse to ride a bicycle that can not carry change of clothes, not to mention wallet and keys. At least on training, recreational and utility rides. Racing is another thing... but I don't race.
Old 09-20-14, 04:47 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Liked 3,210 Times in 1,730 Posts
i ditch the wallet and have permanently borrowed 2 hair ties from the gfriend that act as super rubberbands for binding together: a health card, old drivers license
with "in emergency-contact info written and taped on the back, a credit card, a debit card (and if anywhere near a national park service site-the annual nps pass).
also tuck a front door key into that mess since 90% of my rides are out the front door. have keypad entry into the house and never carried a front door key on rides
until...the rolling blackouts a few years ago in socal. just don't feel like sitting on my front porch in the dark for 5 hours again until the power comes back on.

and yah, if i drive to a ride, i never leave anything of security/decent value in the car. that includes a garage door opener, keys, wallet.
Old 09-20-14, 07:33 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Truck key and door key on clip inside seat bag, cash in there too, and photo copied ID.

never leave home without my HRM really , was just thinking of adding ID and contact info to the strap.

if a Tour de France rider used a carbon fiber but plug key, cash, and ID holder Coach or Victoria's Secret would sell million of them.
Old 09-20-14, 08:06 AM
Iggz79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leave both with my wife reason why she loves my Hobby as it usually means Shopping time for her ! Suggestion is, take your wallet and lock your wife inside the house...safe is safe
Old 09-20-14, 09:27 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
I a small use one of these for phone, ID and some cash: aloksak. Keyless entry on the car means no keys needed during a ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.