Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road cycling in street clothes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road cycling in street clothes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 08:38 PM
jdon

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Scroll ahead to 15:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi42e...eature=related

Tyler Hamilton approves of street clothes
Old 10-20-12, 08:49 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used to be of the "lycra-only" mentality because I've been racing since I was a kid. So, I'm the opposite.
I went from that lycra-cage to the freedom of wearing normal clothes and loosing the mentality of "gearing up" to ride.

It's liberating, I use my bike more and it's a lot more practical.
Lycra has it's place but so does cycling-specific clothing. There is a lot of it nowadays and it's not baggy, goofy crap.
It looks great, high tech materials and comfortable on and off the bike.
Old 10-21-12, 08:10 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
If worry about being funny looking, you are funny looking -- mostly because that's your self perception.

Why worry about what noncycling idiots don't understand about functional attire or what cycling idiots don't understand about different types of riding? To get back to the question, I wear cycling kit if ride conditions/length make it the right choice.
Old 10-21-12, 08:52 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I wear street clothes on my cannon dale CAAD 7 pretty regularly, but over 15 miles chafing can be an issue. I use poly long underwear and shorts as my "bike outfit" because it doesn't chafe, wicks sweat and costs 1/3 what bike pants cost. Also they are good for hiking, motorcycling Xcskiing and all the other stuff I like to do. Same reason I use platforms- that way I don't need another pair of shoes.
Old 10-21-12, 07:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Scroll ahead to 15:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi42e...eature=related

Tyler Hamilton approves of street clothes
I watched the whole thing. It was a bit long. but interesting.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-21-12, 07:25 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Do you go swimming in a sport coat? Do you go to the office in pajamas? Do you weld in a speedo?

The right tool for the job. You decide.
And if you want to look like a tool wear full road kit for a four-block errand to get a quart of milk. I've got nothing against kit and wear spandex and jerseys myself for many rides, but there are time where it is just overkill. When my daughter and I went for an evening cruise around the neighborhood, a T-shirt and jean shorts were just fine. Wearing full kit every time you get on a bike is like wearing a Nascar drivers suit every time you get in a car. Sometimes properly chosen street or athletic wear is the right tool for the job.

Excerpts from the OP

bike for every day things and wear street clothes . . . do you guys occasionally ride in regular street clothes?
Part of the answer depends on your definition of "regular street clothes". If you mean a three-piece suit, probably not. T-shirts, cargo or jean shorts, runners and other sportswear, athletic shoes or trekking/light hiking shoes sure, no problem. I suggest getting liner style biking shorts that you wear like underwear but they have a chamois. Storm Skins makes some that you can easily wear under outdoor or athletic shorts. There are also some inbetween options like MTB shorts and shoes which look a little more mainstream than spandex and road bike shoes.

The important thing is to get out on your bike and keep pedaling, you'll find out what works for you and don't give a dang if anyone says you look Fred. Fred Birchmore was a great man and I'd be proud to share his legacy.

The roots of the term "Fred" are unclear, though some believe it originated from a touring rider named Fred Birchmore from Athens, GA. In 1934-35, Birchmore rode around the world on a bicycle he named Bucephalus. Birchmore and Bucephalus traveled approximately 25,000 miles. Bucephalus is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. In one famous incident while touring in Italy, Birchmore passed a bunch of racers during a race he had crossed paths with by chance. Despite going up hill on his loaded 50 pound non-racing bike, he passed the finish line well ahead of the racers. The cheering crowd at the finish line assumed him to be the winner of the race.

Last edited by Myosmith; 10-21-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 12:38 AM
Max C.

Bikes: Schwinn OR2 Hybrid Bike 28" - Schwinn LeTour II 27"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, for the odd ride here and there. I used to commute in Duluth canvas shorts which have a gusseted crotch. VERY comfortable. There are some other advertisers on this site that sell casual wear intended for cycling (with gussets and other helpful bits). You can even get cycling skinny jeans from Levi's.

If you're not totally afraid of cycling gear but don't want to be in clingy shorts, try Mountain Biking shorts. They're very comfortable and don't show off the contours of your body as much (plus some come with cargo pockets if thats your thing).
Old 10-22-12, 09:50 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
i'm not racing // i don;t have enough 'bike drag' to wear every day

i'm not racing
i don;t have enough 'bike drag' to wear every day
so i don;t
hardly ever in fact

wle
Old 10-22-12, 10:31 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Gator
If I see you riding a road bike in street clothes I will punch you in the face.
Old 10-29-12, 01:52 AM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't end up getting the Specialized, but I'm much happier with my current choice. I haven't bought cycling clothes, but with the kind of riding I do (extended errand runs), I don't think I'll need them just yet. If I get punched in the face during one of my rides, I will not be surprised.

Last edited by Training.Wheels; 10-29-12 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 06:18 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wle
i'm not racing
i don;t have enough 'bike drag' to wear every day
so i don;t
hardly ever in fact

wle
Bike drag... I am stealing that term.
Old 10-29-12, 07:32 AM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexi01
People who don't ride or ride shorter distances will never understand why we wear "tight spandex".

The comfort and utility of cycling bibs and jerseys is absolutely necessary if you're out on the roads for hours on end. If you go for a 60 minute spin around the river - then I agree street clothes would prob be fine - no need to carry any food, etc in your jersey and not long enough to need a chamoix or experience the discomfort of chaffing..

So - wear what you feel you need to wear.
yeah, it depends.

i wear MTB shorts and regular shirts even on a 65 mile ride.

i think longest i've ridden in jeans is 25 miles.
Old 10-29-12, 07:35 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found that, for me, professional cycle clothing made a huge difference in my riding.
I'm talking about being WAY more comfortable, temperature and sweat being regulated WAY better and all of this resulting in a very significant improvement in power output over time.

If you would ask me to race in pro kit on my hybrid or race in more casual clothes on my TT bike ... I would definately and without hesitation choose the former. The difference, to me, is a lot bigger than the difference between any two bikes.
Old 10-29-12, 01:27 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Other than my shoes I commute to work in exactly the clothes I work in. My commute is too short to really work up a sweat and dress is casual.

If I'm running errands or just goofing around I'll often wear "normal" clothes on a road bike but at a certain point it becomes uncomfortable.

It's much more enjoyable to ride a bike fast(er) in the appropriate clothing with a minimum of stuff.