Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

GMR 4th of July. Yes it's early. Suck it up...

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

GMR 4th of July. Yes it's early. Suck it up...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 10:13 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Honestly, that many cyclists sounds like a nightmare. I am glad I missed it.
Old 07-06-18, 11:13 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
No, it really wasn't a nightmare, and I'm definitely one to avoid nightmare crowds.

Considering most riders set out over a 2-3 hour window and all climb at different rates, some just went to the shack and back, some went down toward 39, others descended from the village on Baldy Rd. it was pretty spread out.
Old 07-06-18, 12:15 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Honestly, that many cyclists sounds like a nightmare. I am glad I missed it.
My only issue was the groups that were taking up the whole lane 4-5 wide and 3 rows deeps going at a snails pace. A lot of them were really poor bike handlers so just asking them to move would caused a chain reaction of people almost going down and yelling at me so I just risked going around them. Once or twice I had to sprint to avoid a descender, but I'd take that over motorcycles going up at speed.
Old 07-06-18, 03:41 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Nightmare? Hahaha. Not even the squishiest marshmallow could honestly call Wednesday a nightmare.
Only saw one or two dodos descending a little over the center of the road. I see more cars and more motorcycles doing that on a slow weekday. And yeah, I passed a few cyclists on the right on the way up to keep from the center of the road to play it safe, but no-harm-no-foul. Who can blame them for riding where they like--no cars! It was a serene, relaxing ride up compared to riding anywhere amid cars.
Don't console yourself for missing it. It was completely awesome and we're mosdef coming up again next year. Probably get a hotel next year so we can get an earlier start.
Old 07-06-18, 03:52 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by JimmyNH
You are definitely NOT in the "my girlfriend kicks my arse" category, but now that I know her, I reckon she is fully capable of doing it some day.
It was great seeing you boet, and meeting Pterodactyl.
Likewise Comrade! Always such a joy to catch up with you, and that new bike of yours is slicker than owl$#1t. Looking forward to coming up for a ride with you the weekend after next.
Pterodactyl is still a tough little smack-talker though. She dropped 30+ pounds while I gained 15 with my broken femur, and she was pretty confident she was going to drop me on Torrey Pines grade a few months ago. THEN she attacked going up Torrey again the weekend before last when I was riding with the dog and dogbike (below.) My HR was at 174 when she finally popped and I was hugely relieved. In fact, I wicked it up to 180 for a few minutes after she popped, just to let her know she's still got some work to do before she can drop the old man. I was seriously proud of her though--she was pushing easily over 300W for a few minutes there and I was starting to doubt the dog and I would be able to stay with her attack.
I'll take a girl who's always looking to beat me, even one who drafts me all day long and tries to pip me at the parking lot, over one who lays a guilt-trip on me for going riding with friends after trash-talking men over mimosas with her girlfriends all day while I was out on the bike. Yes sir!

The dogbike:

My little superdomestique that day (she never complains, even when I draft her all day long):

Last edited by calamarichris; 07-06-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 07:04 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Was having too much fun (or changing a flat with a split chamois whilst being swarmed by a hundred sweat-thirsty flies )to take many pics. Here are a few:

Old 07-08-18, 09:08 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Old 07-08-18, 11:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Yup, it was a great day on GMR. Not just for cyclists. I saw skateborders, runners, hikers. I don't know if they'll ever employ a genious in the municipality that will help them figure out that closed GMR benefits a lot more people than a few crazy motorists that use it when it's open. I reckon they can close it at least once a month between April - October.
A couple of things that I'd like to mention:
1) Guys, when going UP, keep to the right and leave as much of road as possible to the guys that descend. I was descending towards the village when a guy in a BCI jersey (hope not Jimincalif) who was climbing on the left side of the road, decided that he must move to the right. Thank god I missed him by a foot or so, otherwise even a good doctor wouldn't be able to determine which body parts belong to which guy. And it wasn't just him, I was bumping in guys like him throughout the day.
2) About 6 miles from the village, I caught up to a guy who was standing on the side of the road, dying for water. I gave him half of the water in my bottle. Chris said that he had to bail out another guy for the same reason. C'mon gentlemen, even a cat can ration his resources. I understand if it was unusually hotter than forcasted. But by SoCal standards, it was outright cold for this time of the year (70F at the village around 11:00 AM). How can you run out of water?
Anyway, a little ranting for otherwise great day in the mountain.
Couldn't agree more about closing the road... and those same geniuii could afford to put a hose bib at the shack too.

I ran out of water about 3 miles from the village but that just made me a little thirstier while waiting to fill my bottle. If he was dying with 6 miles to go, he ran out at the shack. What's that thing they make for just such an occasion? Oh yeah, camelbak. Don't be proud.

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Nightmare? Hahaha. Not even the squishiest marshmallow could honestly call Wednesday a nightmare.
Only saw one or two dodos descending a little over the center of the road. I see more cars and more motorcycles doing that on a slow weekday. And yeah, I passed a few cyclists on the right on the way up to keep from the center of the road to play it safe, but no-harm-no-foul. Who can blame them for riding where they like--no cars! It was a serene, relaxing ride up compared to riding anywhere amid cars.
Don't console yourself for missing it. It was completely awesome and we're mosdef coming up again next year. Probably get a hotel next year so we can get an earlier start.
I saw a paceline of guys BLASTING down the hill that maybe came a little close to some wobbly riders riding UP the hill, but certainly nothing as dangerous as what we usually get to enjoy on GMR. I have no complaints.
Old 07-09-18, 08:05 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
It was cool enough my two bottles were plenty to get to the village. One time when it was a bit warmer I started out with an additional arrowhead bottle in my jersey pocket. That gave me an extra 1/2 liter. If it's going to take more than this, it's too hot for me to be on GMR!

Speaking of heat, yesterday I went thru 5 bottles in 56 miles (2 of them in the last 8 miles going home) plus three glasses of tea when I got home, still didn't pee til late afternoon.
Old 07-09-18, 09:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
It was cool enough my two bottles were plenty to get to the village. One time when it was a bit warmer I started out with an additional arrowhead bottle in my jersey pocket. That gave me an extra 1/2 liter. If it's going to take more than this, it's too hot for me to be on GMR!

Speaking of heat, yesterday I went thru 5 bottles in 56 miles (2 of them in the last 8 miles going home) plus three glasses of tea when I got home, still didn't pee til late afternoon.
Rode to San Clemente on Saturday with @tunavic (64 miles for me, 80 or so for him) and I went through 6 bottles (with nuun in each) *AND* two 32 oz bottles of gatorade at intermediate stops. No cramps and no heat strokes, so that's a win. Got up to 106 in Laguna Canyon... wanna know when 92 feels good? Right after 106.