Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Commuting Trend Showing Decline - USA Today

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Commuting Trend Showing Decline - USA Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 09:39 AM
SamSpade1941 

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
From where I live the problem with bike commuting:

1. It isn't even safe to drive a car on the roads anymore, let alone ride a bike. We have been rear-ended inside our smallish tri-city community twice in one year. In both cases distracted drivers, going too fast, who really no longer really know how to drive a car and be aware of the road and surroundings.

I am very aware that threads like these are colored by perception of the individual posting their thoughts but this part of your statement simply isn't true. US DOT statistics from 2016 show there were 37,000 fatalities related traffic accidents . The US currently has a population of almost 326 MILLION people. (325.7 to be more precise ) . That equates to 0.011% of the population being killed annually in traffic accidents. It's really easy to toss out facts to embrace emotion . It doesn't further anyone's goals or validate your argument .

Having said that I understand your view point because I was rear ended in 2012, and it was a nightmare for me that took a while to get resolved. During my cycle commute last year I was in an accident involving another cycle commuter who did not properly call out to the left like the cyclist in front of him did , thankfully no one was hurt .

Does anyone know how many people actually died in cycling fatalities in the US during 2016 ? I do ... 840, if you think that 0.011% is a small number , do the math for the percentage of 840 into 326 Million . 0.00026 %

Everything has an element of danger and yes bicycle commuting is most certainly dangerous but your odds of driving and being severely injured and killed or bicycle commuting and being severely injured or killed are pretty small .

Last edited by SamSpade1941; 01-21-19 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-21-19, 12:30 PM
Paramount1973

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
For several years, my buddy and I were two of the three cycle commuters on a site of about a thousand workers. He got laid off and found a job working from home. I got laid off with a pretty good severance and decided to retire. So commuting from that site is down 66%. My commute home (in the morning, I put the bike on a bus) was 10.5 miles, only about 1.5 miles by highway, the rest was through quiet neighborhoods, MUPs and low stress roads with bike lanes. I miss the commute, it was the best part of the job, to me. Every commute was an adventure.
Old 01-21-19, 01:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Liked 426 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I am very aware that threads like these are colored by perception of the individual posting their thoughts but this part of your statement simply isn't true. US DOT statistics from 2016 show there were 37,000 fatalities related traffic accidents . The US currently has a population of almost 326 MILLION people. (325.7 to be more precise ) . That equates to 0.011% of the population being killed annually in traffic accidents. It's really easy to toss out facts to embrace emotion . It doesn't further anyone's goals or validate your argument .

Having said that I understand your view point because I was rear ended in 2012, and it was a nightmare for me that took a while to get resolved. During my cycle commute last year I was in an accident involving another cycle commuter who did not properly call out to the left like the cyclist in front of him did , thankfully no one was hurt .

Does anyone know how many people actually died in cycling fatalities in the US during 2016 ? I do ... 840, if you think that 0.011% is a small number , do the math for the percentage of 840 into 326 Million . 0.00026 %

Everything has an element of danger and yes bicycle commuting is most certainly dangerous but your odds of driving and being severely injured and killed or bicycle commuting and being severely injured or killed are pretty small .
Stats are stats but as whole, the US is a country that its percentage of bike commuters is extremely low. That in itself keeps your posted numbers miniscule.

Last edited by crank_addict; 01-21-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 02:04 PM
SamSpade1941 

Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Stats are stats but as whole, the US is a country that its percentage of bike commuters is extremely low. That in itself keeps your posted numbers miniscule.
while that is a true statement it doesn’t change the facts about either statement I made. I dislike intellectuall dishonesty about “problems” and perceived public safety epidemics which don’t exist .

A lot of europe embraced cycle transportation as heavily as they did at various times due to economics related to WWII and their recovery. Plus a lot of European countries are really old and have really old towns that don’t accomodate cars especially well . Oh and couple that with a lower standard of living most Americans won’t tolerate .

I lived in Europe and the Middle East for several years and while Europe makes a better analog to the US than other places it’s not an apples to apples comparasion.

Old 01-22-19, 12:37 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Liked 197 Times in 129 Posts
The problem that doesn't exist?

Recently our city has added traffic circles and coming back on a clear summer day from a 40 mile ride, I had to enter one and follow around to exit off to a short road and then re-join the trail. I watch a car approach, which must yield to traffic in the traffic circle, and it kept coming and coming until I finally have to stop in the traffic circle with following cars or be run over. Being tired and mad I did something different and yelled at the driver who all the time while driving had been looking down, she then looks up sees me and gets the startled dear in head lights look. Yep this elderly woman entered a traffic circle either not watching the road, or, while watching/texting on her cell phone.

And then this summer at a different traffic circle I must cross to get to the trail, on a 4 lane and busy main arterial in our city, I approached, stopped, activated the flashing yellow light to cross, and walk my bike inside the marked pedestrian walkway. Only to wait on the curb, with the flashing lights, until the first car stops in the near lane of traffic and then proceed to stop and wait for the next lane of traffic to stop. Why? Because FOUR cars going full speed, drive through the flashing pedestrian walk way, with me in my bright bike clothes, standing and looking them in the face as I stand in one lane of traffic as they avoided all eye contact (what you choose not to see isn't really there) until I yelled and waved and yes used that finger to those that had passed (I really try not to do that no matter what but again couldn't believe it, as you don't know who has a gun as well as a car to kill you with these days). You see the 15-20 seconds of time it would have taken to allow me to pass was more important to them than my life, and they weren't all 20 year old guys, there were two women who had to have been mothers, child seats in back. I guess they don't care if someone does this to their children someday?

So don't tell me about a problem that doesn't exist or intellectual dishonesty, I've watched cars bomb through at 35mph in posted 20 mph flashing lights grade school cross walks in the morning going to work with children present, they don't care about children, could care less about you on a bike,

But it's a free country, follow your statistics if it makes you feel safe, I'll trust what I know.

Last edited by since6; 01-22-19 at 12:48 AM.