Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

That time has come.....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

That time has come.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 09:09 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 352 Times in 177 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't believe killing the dogs is the only solution, nor do I think it's worth the risk.

You can tell me how great a shot you are, but I have a .40 as well, and I don't think for a minute that you can hit a moving target with a .40 from a bicycle.
Old 05-06-13, 10:03 AM
the_tool_man

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
...I'm actually a very skilled shooter. Shooting one handed from a bike with a .40 caliber pistol is nothing. I've been shooting firearms for a long time. I almost made it on the show called TopShot on the history channel. I was so dang close to.
Really? How do you know how close you were to making the show? Nevermind.

I've watched (and love) Top Shot. I saw pro marksmen miss dog-sized targets moving at constant speed across their field of fire while they stood stationary. I saw the same pro marksmen miss dog-sized targets that were stationary while they moved in various ways. In all cases, they had both hands on their weapon and were braced for follow-ups. When in a moving truck (closest example I can think of to what you propose), the hit rate was well below 50% WITH A RIFLE. And in no case that I recall were the shooters moving while the targets also moved randomly and reacted to the noise of gunshots.

Whether you plan to shoot one-handed while steering, or two handed without holding the bike for balance, I have trouble believing you'll succeed. Now I'll grant you that the dogs will be much closer than the above examples. And you always have the option to stop, put a food down, and properly aim, assuming the first shot startles them enough to stop chasing you. But I think you're asking a lot of your skills, however good they might be. Please don't take this as a slight of your shooting. It would be a very difficult task for anyone. It was smart to discuss this with the police beforehand, so you know they won't take your gun. But I'd still buy or borrow something with less recoil to make the task easier.

I will say, without any sarcasm, good luck to you. I really mean that. If you shoot the dogs, please have someone video tape your marksmanship. If you can do what you claim, I bet you'll make the cut of Top Shot next season (if there is a next season).
Old 05-06-13, 10:08 AM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why? If I call the sheriffs office he's just gonna say there not his. And we don't have animal control here. So what's a video gonna do?
You can use the video to demonstrate where the dogs are staying before chasing you and hence ownership.

Take a video of the dogs coming out of the house. If the dogs come out of a house they must live there. The dogs having collars will confirm that they were not just in the house as strays, but actually belong there.
Old 05-06-13, 10:24 AM
lightning60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best commuting topic EVER! The suspense is killing me
Old 05-06-13, 10:36 AM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have you considered the Molitov Cocktail option? Might be safer (for you) and more effective against a pack of dogs.
Old 05-06-13, 10:53 AM
bunkiefd4

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm sorry, but I don't believe killing the dogs is the only solution, nor do I think it's worth the risk.

You can tell me how great a shot you are, but I have a .40 as well, and I don't think for a minute that you can hit a moving target with a .40 from a bicycle.
If you cant hold a pistol in one hand and shoot a large animal 2 foot away, we'll leave your gun were it lays until you get better trained with it. Not trying to be ugly, but don't tell people that.

Last edited by bunkiefd4; 05-06-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 10:58 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_tool_man

I've watched (and love) Top Shot. I saw pro marksmen miss dog-sized targets moving at constant speed across their field of fire while they stood stationary. I saw the same pro marksmen miss dog-sized targets that were stationary while they moved in various ways. In all cases, they had both hands on their weapon and were braced for follow-ups. When in a moving truck (closest example I can think of to what you propose), the hit rate was well below 50% WITH A RIFLE. And in no case that I recall were the shooters moving while the targets also moved randomly and reacted to the noise of gunshots.

Whether you plan to shoot one-handed while steering, or two handed without holding the bike for balance, I have trouble believing you'll succeed. Now I'll grant you that the dogs will be much closer than the above examples. And you always have the option to stop, put a food down, and properly aim, assuming the first shot startles them enough to stop chasing you. But I think you're asking a lot of your skills, however good they might be. Please don't take this as a slight of your shooting. It would be a very difficult task for anyone. It was smart to discuss this with the police beforehand, so you know they won't take your gun. But I'd still buy or borrow something with less recoil to make the task easier.

I will say, without any sarcasm, good luck to you. I really mean that. If you shoot the dogs, please have someone video tape your marksmanship. If you can do what you claim, I bet you'll make the cut of Top Shot next season (if there is a next season).
Because after they watched my audition video I got called. I flew to California in the top 40 for try outs. So, I'm not sure how much closer I could have gotten. You judge.

Let me explain something to y'all. Those guys on top shot aren't that great and master trained. Have you seriously watched that? There is people who have owned food stores and have normal jobs that are on there. And yes some military personnel. There not pros that shoot everyday.
Old 05-06-13, 11:06 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lightning60
Best commuting topic EVER! The suspense is killing me
Im not really enjoying this. This is a pain in my ass and I'm tired of fighting with it. People think this is funny but it's not.
Old 05-06-13, 11:11 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And for those with a .40 caliber pistol who can't shoot with one hand, get some time with it. If you need it for protection one day your gonna be up s*** creek. Whether its a dog are a human breaking in your house you better know how to handle that weapon. I'm surprised that some of you couldn't hit a medium sized dog two foot away from your leg while riding a bike. Id feel embarrassed to admit that.
Old 05-06-13, 11:16 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_tool_man

Also, if you want, call Blair Franklin form the casting department. Ask him how close Robert Normand from Bunkie, Louisiana was to getting on the show.
Old 05-06-13, 11:24 AM
the_tool_man

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Because after they watched my audition video I got called. I flew to California in the top 40 for try outs. So, I'm not sure how much closer I could have gotten. You judge.
Okay. You must be nearly as good as they guys who made it. A small group, for sure. That truly is impressive.

Let me explain something to y'all. Those guys on top shot aren't that great and master trained. Have you seriously watched that? There is people who have owned food stores and have normal jobs that are on there. And yes some military personnel. There not pros that shoot everyday.
There are pros, too. But it doesn't matter. Because by your own admission above, you're not quite as good as they are.

I'm not trying to pick on you. You're clearly a better shooter than I'll ever be. But as I said, I don't think it's just a matter of shooting skill. I can't stop thinking about what the likely outcome would be, given the unpredictable nature of a number of dogs running around in close range to you on a moving bicycle, while you shoot at them with a "snappy" DAO pistol. Every scenario I mentally run through ends up with you on the ground, likely with a gunshot wound in your leg.

I sincerely hope it works out for you. I'm hoping you pull it off unscathed. Please report back.

Last edited by the_tool_man; 05-06-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 11:25 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be nice if he would leave them locked up in the pasture with the gate closed. But he doesn't, the gate stays open 24/7. The law over here is that your animals have to be chained up are locked behind a fence. So he's definitely breaking the law.
I really don't understand what's happening.

FACT: the dogs are loose.
FACT: the dogs are owned by the guy, and he pretty much admitted to such when he supplied you with the pepper spray
FACT: the law says that the dogs must be leashed or behind a fence.

The police need to come in and take away the dogs, fine the owner, and get things safe for people passing by. If the local police are refusing to do anything, then you need to talk to someone higher up. He's breaking the law and the police don't want to enforce it.

Shooting the dogs is not a solution and will only cause more trouble for you.
Old 05-06-13, 11:37 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Moving target vs moving target is a horrible idea, let's not even get into revenge/shooting some poor dogs........imagine having to reload?

Have you tried the bear spray yet?? At least give um that before you smoke um
Old 05-06-13, 11:43 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill definitely report back the out come. Tomorrow morning will see what happens. Like I said, ill use his spray that he bought.

I also thought about calling the sheriffs office to meet me on the road before the guys house and have the deputy follow me and witness what's happening. And take it from there. Then the deputy can report back to my buddy (the road captain) at the sheriffs office and see what he advises me to do.
Old 05-06-13, 11:46 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not trying to claim myself as a perfect marksman but shooting a pistol on a bike is not that hard of a task for me.

Guys I'm not trying to get ugly are be a d*** but im just frustrated with this and tired of it. Y'all have no idea how aggravating it is to keep fighting with these dogs.
Old 05-06-13, 01:13 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think we're all waiting with bated breath on the outcome. I hope it turns out for the better.

So long as you know and can accept the consequences, you have to do what you have to do. I'm the last person to support deadly force and am an animal supporter, but it seems to me that:
1) you have a dangerous situation (out of control dogs forcing you to make riding choices suddenly (e.g., into oncoming traffic, knocking you off your bike)).
2) the situation can escalate extremely quickly into a far more dangerous situation (e.g., mauling, grievous injury to limbs, infection (rabies), even death in severe cases).
3) the situation is even more dangerous than (2) because you have a pack - SEVEN dogs! - this is not an easily controlled situation.
4) the authorities are reluctant or unable to do anything proactive (until the first - and perhaps very deadly - bite happens).
5) you have tried to handle this from multiple perspectives, all to no avail.

What confounds me is the owner of the dogs: he seems reluctant, unable, or just too incompetent to do anything (seriously? build a better fence, gate, etc.). The solutions are not rocket science.

While I don't like the idea of deadly force, if you have no choice, you have no choice. Sprays, etc. are probably effective, but only if you have the circumstances to apply them effectively. This whole analogy reminds me of incidents in which police officers shoot (and sometimes kill) an aggressor, and then afterwards, you hear complaints such as, "Oh, couldn't they have shot the (assailant) in the leg or something?"

In violent, aggressive situations, you are unlikely to have to luxury to use more passive measures. A close friend of mine is an active police officer; you do not have the time or grace of space to be so discerning. My father was a nurse in a mental institution. A mental patient went berserk one day, and it took FOUR trained male nurses, including my father, to restrain and subdue the patient. Even with four people, my father still received a significant facial injury requiring plastic surgery. And I train and teach martial arts: the slow build up and the luxury of time and thought afforded to the "action" we seemed conditioned to from movies and TV are myths. If you have no choice, you act - and if you are in a dangerous situation, you put down your opponent - hard.

There are SEVEN, dare I say, "rabid" dogs. There will be no second chance if you are brought down.

Good luck. Hopefully it will not come down to the solution of last resort.
Old 05-06-13, 01:58 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
I think we're all waiting with bated breath on the outcome. I hope it turns out for the better.

So long as you know and can accept the consequences, you have to do what you have to do. I'm the last person to support deadly force and am an animal supporter, but it seems to me that:
1) you have a dangerous situation (out of control dogs forcing you to make riding choices suddenly (e.g., into oncoming traffic, knocking you off your bike)).
2) the situation can escalate extremely quickly into a far more dangerous situation (e.g., mauling, grievous injury to limbs, infection (rabies), even death in severe cases).
3) the situation is even more dangerous than (2) because you have a pack - SEVEN dogs! - this is not an easily controlled situation.
4) the authorities are reluctant or unable to do anything proactive (until the first - and perhaps very deadly - bite happens).
5) you have tried to handle this from multiple perspectives, all to no avail.

What confounds me is the owner of the dogs: he seems reluctant, unable, or just too incompetent to do anything (seriously? build a better fence, gate, etc.). The solutions are not rocket science.

While I don't like the idea of deadly force, if you have no choice, you have no choice. Sprays, etc. are probably effective, but only if you have the circumstances to apply them effectively. This whole analogy reminds me of incidents in which police officers shoot (and sometimes kill) an aggressor, and then afterwards, you hear complaints such as, "Oh, couldn't they have shot the (assailant) in the leg or something?"

In violent, aggressive situations, you are unlikely to have to luxury to use more passive measures. A close friend of mine is an active police officer; you do not have the time or grace of space to be so discerning. My father was a nurse in a mental institution. A mental patient went berserk one day, and it took FOUR trained male nurses, including my father, to restrain and subdue the patient. Even with four people, my father still received a significant facial injury requiring plastic surgery. And I train and teach martial arts: the slow build up and the luxury of time and thought afforded to the "action" we seemed conditioned to from movies and TV are myths. If you have no choice, you act - and if you are in a dangerous situation, you put down your opponent - hard.

There are SEVEN, dare I say, "rabid" dogs. There will be no second chance if you are brought down.

Good luck. Hopefully it will not come down to the solution of last resort.
Thanks. I to, am against shooting them. I like dogs. I've had some in the past and they were good dogs. I also had them contained like I was suppose to also though. I don't know, I'm just gonna take it one day at a time. I have a feeling that I'm gonna give the guy a call soon and tell him that I've had enough though. But I still need to try the spray he bought before a weapon is brought into the situation.
Old 05-06-13, 02:24 PM
Ozonation

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks. I to, am against shooting them. I like dogs. I've had some in the past and they were good dogs. I also had them contained like I was suppose to also though. I don't know, I'm just gonna take it one day at a time. I have a feeling that I'm gonna give the guy a call soon and tell him that I've had enough though. But I still need to try the spray he bought before a weapon is brought into the situation.
Based on what you've described, the issue is with the owner. Sadly, I suspect that this owner will not realize just how serious the situation is until something serious happens to one or more of the dogs.

According to various sources on the internet, a dog bite seems to range to several hundred pounds of pressure. But it's not just crushing damage - there will torn skin, ligaments, muscles, blood vessels and nerves - as well as the risk of infection. And we are not talking about a single bite, but potentially many multiple bites. We have seen the damage done by unrestrained dogs on people; I would not want to think what would happen with seven dogs.

I don't want to be a fear monger here, but I think the potential risk to life and limb is underestimated or underplayed.

... seven dogs? Egad.
Old 05-06-13, 03:57 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
Based on what you've described, the issue is with the owner. Sadly, I suspect that this owner will not realize just how serious the situation is until something serious happens to one or more of the dogs.

According to various sources on the internet, a dog bite seems to range to several hundred pounds of pressure. But it's not just crushing damage - there will torn skin, ligaments, muscles, blood vessels and nerves - as well as the risk of infection. And we are not talking about a single bite, but potentially many multiple bites. We have seen the damage done by unrestrained dogs on people; I would not want to think what would happen with seven dogs.

I don't want to be a fear monger here, but I think the potential risk to life and limb is underestimated or underplayed.

... seven dogs? Egad.
Yes, seven total. But one is older and slower and only runs after me because the rest do. There is three that is super aggressive and the rest are rite behind them.

Your rite about infection and such. These dogs probably never had shots, who's to say there not carrying something. One of them really looks rough. One of his eyes is really messed up and he doesn't look really healthy. He's one of the three that's real aggressive. I try to watch for him the most when there at my ankles.
Old 05-06-13, 05:08 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I would save the shooting until absolutely necessary, (you were bitten)... 1 Meatball with some "vitamin tabs" stuffed inside once a week, it would be a much more sensible/safer, from repercussions of the nutball owners, who I suspect would all of a sudden "start to care" about their dogs, if you started to shoot their dogs without at first getting bitten. JMO And yes, I do like dogs, but you have to draw a line somewhere...

Last edited by 350htrr; 05-06-13 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 05:18 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I didn't bother to read the thread just the original post...and you're being an *******.contact animal control and law enforcement that has jurisdiction....how you skipped those steps and went straight to guns ill never understand... its kinda scary.
Old 05-06-13, 05:26 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
Wow I didn't bother to read the thread just the original post...and you're being an *******.contact animal control and law enforcement that has jurisdiction....how you skipped those steps and went straight to guns ill never understand... its kinda scary.
You need to read the entire thread.
Old 05-06-13, 05:41 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
You need to read the entire thread.
I really don't need to...the whole idea is INSANE.its totally avoidable .there must be at least ten things you could try before shooting a dog that's just doing what it believes to be right.

I'm sorry for the name calling I did.that wasnt right at all.I'm an animal lover and perhaps i got a little emotional, and while i wouldnt consider myself a pacifist,I don't believe in violence as a means of dispute resolution.and I'm out with that.
Old 05-06-13, 05:57 PM
jfan

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Lol. Did anybody else get the Plaque Attack dog dental spray pop-up ad at the bottom of this thread?
Old 05-06-13, 05:59 PM
Ozonation

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
I really don't need to...
Sorry, but that kind of attitude is ignorant.

Originally Posted by psy
...the whole idea is INSANE.its totally avoidable .there must be at least ten things you could try before shooting a dog that's just doing what it believes to be right.
You need to read the whole thread, and after that, argue much, much more convincingly how unrestrained dogs charging you in a pack of seven in a public place with an irresponsible/unresponsive owner is "right".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.