Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you use MUPs/off road trails to commute? Or strictly road?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: How's your route constructed?
Strictly vehicular roads
55.29%
I use a MUP/Bike Path type route
64.71%
I use an offroad trail
7.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 11:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Torker
My commute is strictly roads, however it is 95% neighborhood so traffic volume is very low.
I too have a good proportion of my 14 mile commute in neighborhoods.

I have perviously posted this “Hierarchy of Paved Roads” to the Living Car Free Forum thread, ”What streets do you like to ride on?” from my own experiences.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban… Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):
  • Enchanted

...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders...
  • Exurban (no residences, no commercial buildings)
  • Residential: Urban (dense, multi-unit dwellings), Suburban (single unattached homes)
  • Light commercial (storefronts close to the sidewalk, street parking)
  • Heavy commercial (shopping malls, driveway accesses, parking lots)
  • Industrial: (dreary vistas, rough roads, debris-strewn)
PS: It just occured to me, though I don't ride in the downtown proper, I should probably add a category of "Downtown," as typified by the urban canyons and narrow, often-crowded streets of Manhattan, or the Financial District of Boston. Downtown riding would, IMO rank just ahead of "heavy commercial.
...I ride my commute early in the AM, and my long rides early on Saturdays, and IMO, almost any road is a good ride at that time of day, better than a MUP or MUT.

For me though, early morning ends at about 6AM on weekdays, 8AM on Saturdays, and 9AM on Sundays. Later in the day is a different matter.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-15 at 11:57 AM.