Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 11:38 AM
badger1

Liked 1,240 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Rum, sodomy, and the lash? No thanks.
RMOT
Old 12-27-23, 11:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,032 Times in 4,272 Posts
OMG, I never knew there was a version with Aussie voiceover!!!

NSFW

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-27-23, 11:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,428 Times in 6,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Nonsense. It's the same muscle movement. It's the same cardio system. Many times it's harder work than riding IRL. (IMO, YMMV)

For weekly goals, I look at hours more than miles. Especially since I regularly ride bikes that vary significantly in average speed (road vs. gravel vs. MTB), comparing hours is a better metric.
I find that "20 miles" on the trainer wears me out a lot more than 20 mile IRL. For one thing, there's no coasting. And there are no points when I'm just noodling along on a nice backroad tree tunnel, taking in the scenery. And I get more competitive.

Last night, for example, two riders passed me. One was doing a workout, and the other was drafting him. They were going JUST BARELY faster than me, so I hooked on and rode with them the next 15 minutes or so. We picked up another rider, too. I did make it a point to take a couple pulls. I'm not a complete bastard. Anyway, 2 miles from the end of the route I was riding, I decided to drope the hamer, dialed it up to 400 250w, gave them The Look, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-27-23, 11:51 AM
badger1

Liked 1,240 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
​​​​​​This holistic nutritionist and Vega practitioner (or whatever you call them) I met in Scottsdale told me about some LSD fueled hippy commune somewhere on Vancouver Island and I was kinda surprised.
There have certainly been a few; don't know any current ones specifically. The most (in)famous was probably Poole's Land near Tofino on the west coast of the island. I think it lasted from the late '80s until around 2020 or so when it fell apart, as all such enterprises inevitably seem to do.
Old 12-27-23, 11:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,828 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Time on the bike. Time in Zone X... That was my metric.

That said, Monday I will be riding 100 miles.

For weekly goals, I look at hours more than miles. Especially since I regularly ride bikes that vary significantly in average speed (road vs. gravel vs. MTB), comparing hours is a better metric.
Yup. Hours are the racer's metric.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-27-23, 11:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Big time org changes at work. Entire department getting dissolved. Former CEO (now site president) stepping down, so there some fill-in from my boss (Level 2) and therefore from me (im level 3). We got acquired in mid 2021 and there has been a constant storm a few levels over my head.

My boss called me a few minutes before the announcements to give me a head up. Given how turbulent things have been, I was stressed the hell out for a few min. I do feel hugely valuable and critical within my department..... but hey, they are getting rid of an entire revenue generating department so no man is safe in this land.
Old 12-27-23, 12:00 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,781 Times in 1,277 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Old fork was cut too low?
About 30mm above the upper headset bearing to the bottom of the stem, allowing for 5mm of steer tube above the stem.

New fork I should be able to get another 20mm.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Attention abshipp . When I first put up photos of our new kittens, you said there was a calico and a tortoiseshell. I saw a calico and a black . Eight months later, that black is steadily morphing into a tortoiseshell. How did you know? Our other black cat, at 15 years old, has been black throughout.
I don’t remember the picture exactly, but black+tan but no white is tortoiseshell. Calicos have white in their coat, Torties don’t.
Old 12-27-23, 12:02 PM
Alan K

Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Nonsense. It's the same muscle movement. It's the same cardio system. Many times it's harder work than riding IRL. (IMO, YMMV)

Nope, dynamic balancing involves a large number of muscles and neuromotor activity - in my opinion, pedaling a stationary bike is not the same as using a real bike outside. This equality shouldn’t be even something to seriously consider.
[I’m not commenting on counting miles. I have personally stopped doing that accurately on real bicycling many years ago because to me it really doesn’t matter. I go by effort and the time - in the winter time, with similar effort, as one can imagine, I cover lesser distance.]
Old 12-27-23, 12:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,973 Times in 3,220 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Big time org changes at work. Entire department getting dissolved. Former CEO (now site president) stepping down, so there some fill-in from my boss (Level 2) and therefore from me (im level 3). We got acquired in mid 2021 and there has been a constant storm a few levels over my head.

My boss called me a few minutes before the announcements to give me a head up. Given how turbulent things have been, I was stressed the hell out for a few min. I do feel hugely valuable and critical within my department..... but hey, they are getting rid of an entire revenue generating department so no man is safe in this land.
I assume you're highly marketable, but I hope things don't get too shaky there.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-27-23, 12:16 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Just send me the rum. Unless it's Bacardi or Captain Morgan.
funny my two favorite rums. you can see a bottle over by the stove
Old 12-27-23, 12:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,032 Times in 4,272 Posts

Hooo boy, what a wonderful way to start the new year!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-27-23, 12:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,542 Times in 4,037 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Nope, dynamic balancing involves a large number of muscles and neuromotor activity - in my opinion, pedaling a stationary bike is not the same as using a real bike outside. This equality shouldn’t be even something to seriously consider.
[I’m not commenting on counting miles. I have personally stopped doing that accurately on real bicycling many years ago because to me it really doesn’t matter. I go by effort and the time - in the winter time, with similar effort, as one can imagine, I cover lesser distance.]
You are correct that riding a trainer doesn't involve balancing and steering. However, zero times has my body ever been tired from the actions of balancing and steering. The workout is pedaling the machine - as you said, "effort and time". That effort and time on a trainer absolutely matters when evaluating/comparing workload with my other cycling activities. Especially during this time a year, when 2 out of 4 days on a bike every week might be on my trainer, including trainer effort and time in my weekly totals matters a lot to me in how I'm maintaining/building my fitness. That said, my priorities and goals might be different than yours, and subsequently, the things that matter are different.
Old 12-27-23, 12:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yikes! Good luck.
Old 12-27-23, 12:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I went through this last year. Our company was in a bit of a crunch, so to conserve cash, upper management decided to close our site. My group was laid off at the end or October, then another group at the end of the year, and the final group at the end of March. I and the other two group leaders were retained, and reassured that they wanted to keep us for the foreseeable future. But still, it was a ****ed up year.

Shortly after my group left, several infusions of revenue that had been expected, but delayed, arrived, so the company's future was assured, but they weren't going to re-hire everyone and re-open our site.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-27-23, 12:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
was it COVID? don't remember.
Yep. Such a case that the test was expired with barely enough reagent to get a drop... and it still had the T line full-strength before it flowed all the way to the C line. AG's was much more mild.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-27-23, 12:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

You are correct that riding a trainer doesn't involve balancing and steering. However, zero times has my body ever been tired from the actions of balancing and steering. The workout is pedaling the machine - as you said, "effort and time". That effort and time on a trainer absolutely matters when evaluating/comparing workload with my other cycling activities. Especially during this time a year, when 2 out of 4 days on a bike every week might be on my trainer, including trainer effort and time in my weekly totals matters a lot to me in how I'm maintaining/building my fitness. That said, my priorities and goals might be different than yours, and subsequently, the things that matter are different.
Exactly, and the writer might have a point if our "neuromotor" skills decayed over days like our metabolic and cardiorespiratory fitness, requiring constant maintenance, but that's not why we train indoors.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-27-23, 12:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Know what's great for neuromotor skills? Mountain biking. I find that my upper body and brain are often worn out after a long techy DH. We have an epic decent in San Diego county called Noble Canyon. Drops 3,000' and I consider it a success if I dismount under 10 times. I find the ride down more fatiguing than riding back up on the road, which I can do in around 1 hour from TH to campsite if I give it some gas.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-27-23, 12:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
BTW can one of you kids tell me how to make my Zwift full screen? I maximize it but as seen in pic there are still some margins on top/bottom of screen that block content slightly.

Looks like Win11 copied some annoyances from MacOS. Did you select fullscreen in Zwift itself or maximize the window?
Old 12-27-23, 12:43 PM
Alan K

Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Looks like Win11 copied some annoyances from MacOS. Did you select fullscreen in Zwift itself or maximize the window?
Didn’t realize that old MicroS**k habits of stealing good stuff still continues.
Old 12-27-23, 12:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Know what's great for neuromotor skills? Mountain biking. I find that my upper body and brain are often worn out after a long techy DH. We have an epic decent in San Diego county called Noble Canyon. Drops 3,000' and I consider it a success if I dismount under 10 times. I find the ride down more fatiguing than riding back up on the road, which I can do in around 1 hour from TH to campsite if I give it some gas.
For sure. This is also why I don't mind riding my MTB (or gravel bike) alone. The interaction with the terrain requires constant attention and adaptation at a much higher level than on the road. The ride is with the terrain.
Old 12-27-23, 12:59 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,654 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
The "presents for" stuff is also pretty stupid. I can see referring to the patient's gender due to the differences in anatomy.

Wouldn't it be better stated, "60 year old male has abdominal paid."
It was only a matter of time until we started paying for medical care with actual body parts.
Old 12-27-23, 01:04 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Alan K
Didn’t realize that old MicroS**k habits of stealing good stuff still continues.
Oh please. Half the good stuff in iOS was stolen from Windows Mobile. And Android.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-27-23, 01:05 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Yeah, too much skill for me. I can barely hop a speed bump.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-27-23, 01:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rjones28
It was only a matter of time until we started paying for medical care with actual body parts.

Old 12-27-23, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, too much skill for me. I can barely hop a speed bump.
Me too. Mind you, the two speed bumps I have to hop are when I'm going over 30 mph, so it's mostly a matter of timing. I rarely hit both perfectly. Still, it's USUALLY better than hitting them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.