Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 06:08 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Domane+, Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, ICE VTX WC

Liked 5,149 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
It comes to all of us, if we’re lucky. I was telling my wife about you, this morning. A miracle of modern medicine. Kudos
Actually, I hear that a lot. I saw my oncologist this week and she asked me if I had any pain, fatigue, etc. I told her that I feel pretty damn good. Can't complain.

I think it's attributed to over 40 years of avid cycling.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 12-28-23, 06:09 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,452 Times in 1,981 Posts
Note: I spent no time in the 70's at a California institution of higher learning.
Old 12-28-23, 06:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,551 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Slow day here at the office. I think I will call the pension services center and request my retirement papers.

Sound like a good idea?
I'd hold out 'til they promise to wrap a bus in your honor. Surely some of those train guys know some bus guys

Warning: MARTA content

Old 12-28-23, 06:14 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

I spent the fall of ‘72 in Santa Cruz, It didn’t strike me as an open and welcoming community. Quite the contrary. But I was an Ohio hick. Might’ve been me.
not a city slicker, who knew?
Old 12-28-23, 06:17 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,173 Times in 3,322 Posts
I spent the fall of ‘72 in Santa Cruz, It didn’t strike me as an open and welcoming community. Quite the contrary. But I was an Ohio hick. Might’ve been me.
I only know one person who has actually lived there outside the university world and he's a stand-up guy who’s been very nice to me, but he’s off-puttingly wealthy. He bought David Crosby’s schooner off him and restored it a few years back.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-28-23, 06:21 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 2,151 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
nevermind
Old 12-28-23, 06:21 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Liked 1,517 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I took the opposite approach and prepared for rain. I wore an Aqua Zero jersey with baselayer, knee warmers, and Velotoze over my shoes and wool socks. And I mounted the fender on the bike. And I stuffed a rain cape in my pocket. These preparations not only prevented the rain from falling during my ride, but also kept my ass dry, since the roads were wet in a number of places.

Th Velotoze worked at treat! They got covered in mud and grit and my shoes stayed dry and my feet nice and warm. Possibly TOO warm, because my socks were a little wet, but from the inside. I did a nice fun 35 miles scored a couple 3rd-best times on segments I've done hundreds of times. I credit the Southerly breeze. That, and the Canyon is just plain fast. Much as I love the Litespeed - and that's a LOT - the Canyon is hands down my fastest bike.

The sky was looking all emotional over at Canada and 92...

maybe you’re just getting faster! it wasn’t very windy today. up here the winds were almost nonexistent but from due north. i wish i’d been able to take a picture - grey sky, rain, water on both sides of 8 feet of pavement, itself covered by six inches of glassy water. as close to waterskiing as i’ve been on a bike 😂
Old 12-28-23, 06:27 PM
Alan K

Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That article does not bear at all on the claim that you made earlier in the thread.
Feel free to provide all the necessary details as to what the uptake of Tc represents, in vivo, and how bone morphogenesis has nothing to do with calcium.

Last edited by Alan K; 12-28-23 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-28-23, 06:28 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Domane+, Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, ICE VTX WC

Liked 5,149 Times in 2,310 Posts
Back to cycling, I need to start working on plans for cycling destinations for the upcoming season

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 12-28-23, 06:31 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by genejockey
Also, they should stay off your lawn.
I think all of us have had those neighbors, sitting on the front porch and watching the kids of neighbors, not leaving the sidewalk on their bicycles and getting on the grass, not even an inch of it!
Old 12-28-23, 06:32 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

It should remind you of this:
Old 12-28-23, 06:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,225 Times in 6,791 Posts
Where I come from, Elvis Presley was immoral/ The Debil
Where I come from, Elvis Presley was a GOD.

Personally, I could take him or leave him.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-28-23, 06:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,551 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
It did but here solo stuff doesn't get enough airplay. Remember when Vol posted Nick Cave singing at Shane's funeral? Here's Aimee singing aLeonard Cohen tune that was on Nick Cave's first album...

DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Back to cycling, I need to start working on plans for cycling destinations for the upcoming season
Atlanta is charming in March. Or should I say it's delightful.
indyfabz

Liked 17,466 Times in 8,165 Posts
A friend had a Stephen cookie cutter made for me, complete with tipped ear.

#ETSY

Old 12-28-23, 06:38 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

It did but here solo stuff doesn't get enough airplay. Remember when Vol posted Nick Cave singing at Shane's funeral? Here's Aimee singing aLeonard Cohen tune that was on Nick Cave's first album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjn1Z83g9c
Nope. Of those mentioned I only know of Leonard.
Old 12-28-23, 06:49 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
A little background, I started as a paid intern at IDOT (Illinois) while going to college. I was 18 years old and 11 days. So, by the time I was 54, I had 36 years of service and had virtually never took vacation, sick leave, or paid overtime. A search of computer records and paper records showed that I had almost 2 years of leave coming so I took that and bought the last two years of service to get a full pension.

I did contract work for consulting firms for the next 4 years basically working full time about 8 months out of the year and traveling the rest of the year. By then, I was tired of what I was doing and volunteered to work in a hospital pharmacy making floor deliveries of drugs and anything else they needed done. I did that three days or more a week for another 4 years.

By then, I was 62 and had been dealing with medical stuff since I was 52 (still am) and I finally decided it was time to do nothing but travel and ride my bike which my wife and I do to the max, traveling extensively and averaging 12,000 miles a year between us.

So retiring young and enjoying life was the proper decision for me.
Thanks for sharing!

In our family, the only person who retired before the age of 60, is my brother-in-law.
His reasons were a little unusual but in the mid-term to long-term outlook, it worked out quite well for him.
He had a few partners in his private practice (as an anesthesiologist), the wall-street thugs offered way too much money to buy off the practice so they consolidate services in the area (you know the monopoly thing). Partners couldn’t refuse the offer, my brother-in-law didn’t want to sell but the majority prevailed. The rest of the partners stayed on as employees of the company that took over. My brother-in-law refused to work for ‘investors’, took his share and retired at the age of 56.
He is quite happy, as is his family because he can spend time with them, which wasn’t so easy earlier.

I have tried to convince him to start bicycling but so far, I’ve been unsuccessful - still working on it.
Old 12-28-23, 06:55 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by LAJ
Oh joy to you. You've now had the pleasure of interacting with Koyote. In case you're wondering, he's one of the good guys on this little slice of the internet.....
Good to know!
Old 12-28-23, 06:58 PM
Alan K

Atlanta is charming in March. Or should I say it's delightful.
At least it’s flat… easier to bicycle.
Old 12-28-23, 07:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

With today's ride, I'm at 5679 miles (IRL and ITG) for the year, with probably one more ITG and one more IRL to go. I'm gonna see if I can break 5750 total. 4012 IRL miles, which will be more like 4070 by the end assuming nothing unforeseen.

The Canyon got the most miles, but that's because it's my trainer bike (I like the solidity of clamping the thru-axle rather than the QR on my wheel-on trainer. But the Litespeed has almost as many IRL miles as the Canyon. The rest of the bikes got a LOT fewer miles. It's pretty clear than once I got the Litespeed, it supplanted almost all the other bikes. What can I say? It's a damn good bike!!!

Old 12-28-23, 07:13 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
My dad is in his mid-70s and still works quite a bit (through a majority of this year six days a week) and wouldn't know what to do with himself if he didn't.

Last edited by Velo Vol; 12-28-23 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 07:18 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,173 Times in 3,322 Posts
Something is wrong. I'm seeing all these posts quoted but I didn't see the original post. It's like they were quoted then the original was deleted. I'm all discombobulated because of these holidays. I can't keep the day of the week straight.

In other fun news I messaged my Surgeon's office for an appointment. It's been 4 weeks since surgery and I'm still sore. Maybe he'll tell me to give it a little more time. I'm worried about a hernia or infection. I don't have a fever so that would rule out infection but I defer to the Docs.
This doc, who is not a surgeon and who is seldom given sharp objects to play with, thinks a mechanical issue with the wound, like guts herniating through the muscle layer, would be visible and palpable, and that infection in the abdomen would cause a thoroughly debilitating level pain and illness. That said, by all means be “difficult,” for that is why they are paid the big mazuma.
Old 12-28-23, 07:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
My dad is in his mid-70s and still works quite a bit and wouldn't know what to do with himself if he didn't.
My Dad retired at 74, then the company BEGGED him to come back to fix a production line they couldn't get to work. Retired for good-and-all at 78. Had lots to keep him busy, between the yard, gardening, the Master Gardening program, travel, etc. Lived another 22 years.

Mom retired at 65, and between books she hadn't read yet, coffee she hadn't drunk yet, and naps she hadn't taken yet, as well as travelling with Dad, also had plenty to keep her occupied. She lived 24 years after retirement.

My maternal Grandfather, OTOH, retired at 65 and died at 67. Don't know if he had much to do, but I rather imagine the Congestive Heart Failure limited that a lot.

Old 12-28-23, 07:21 PM
big john

Liked 10,208 Times in 4,951 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjn1Z83g9c
Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols had a radio show here called "Jonesy's Jukebox" and he would have live music acts on and he would play guitar sometimes. He had Aimee Mann on and it was pretty good.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-28-23, 07:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,964 Times in 4,200 Posts
So you’re coming up that trail and you here the bell coming down. What do you do? Holler? Can’t really get off the path.
I can’t recall seeing a bike ever going up that trail. It would take a very uncommon level of determination and skill. There are 3 more efficient ways to the top for riders. Hikers, on the other hand, take the uphill direction pretty regularly. Interactions between uphill hikers and downhill bikers get managed depending on the conditions of the exact spot. Most of the time, hikers find a way to step clear of bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.