Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 09:19 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I spied a robin and a bunch of red-winged blackbirds on my way in today. Glad to be back in the saddle.
Old 03-17-11, 10:04 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Liked 88 Times in 35 Posts
53 degrees. sunny. windy as hell (mainly from the WSW, but city buildings where creating some CRAZY downdrafts and vortices).

my first commute of the year wearing only a long sleeve t-shirt. awesomeness!
Old 03-17-11, 10:58 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Decent weather this morning -- 44f, and only a little breeze. First ride with new tires (Conti Contacts), and I had them a little too hard, as the dirt portion was on the rough side.
Old 03-17-11, 10:59 AM
Ipedaltahoe

Bikes: Motobecane Single Speed, Trek Mountain Track Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well after slushville yesterday, today was icebergs. Temp dropped to 20F and slush froze in big chunks. Was really glad I put on the fatboys. What a pain but worth it. I think next year I suck it up and get some wide Marathons that will last and on clear days just ride the single speed. Temp is supposed to stay in the 20's, but so used to it know I just wore a windbreaker and armwarmers.
Old 03-17-11, 12:47 PM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a great ride in this morning with mid 40s, those birds do make a difference!

Will be a nice ride home but the tourists are out big time. Impenetratble walls of tourists, oblivious to my little bell, four five six abreast on the wide pathways. Once I am back on the streets it's fine but on the National Mall things are crazy right now.
Old 03-17-11, 02:13 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Spring is arriving a little early in NC, with high temps in the 70s today and 80s on Friday and Saturday. Should be a pleasant ride home this afternoon, and there isn't even much of wind, which is unusual for lately. Rode one of my steel racing bikes today for a change of pace, with a much lighter load than my touring bike.
Old 03-17-11, 04:55 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Temps have been awesome! This week, the weather has been 100% perfect, just a little windy. Gonna get 5 days in this week for the first time since I started commuting! Looks like I'll get around 100 miles this week... I'm excited!
Old 03-17-11, 06:38 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,198 Times in 679 Posts
Rode the route with t-shirt under my military wolly pulley and felt great. Temps in the morning 37, ride home 70. Definately only the t-shirt on.

80's tomorrow !!! Only a jerk with the fast/furious mentality to spoil the nice ride home.

3SS
Old 03-17-11, 06:41 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so tired and exhausted on the way home.. no idea why...

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 03-17-11, 06:41 PM
crdean1

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winds were better on the way home, but I wrecked (no bike damage thank goodness) and came out with just a few scratches. Before that, my Timbuk2 Shift Messenger/Pannier broke on one side and I had to get creative. The bag was hanging by one hook only. I reviewed this bag this morning in another thread, but I will definitely be sending it back. No question. If it's not strong enough to hold a thin laptop and a few clothes on an urban ride, then it wouldn't be strong enough to hold say, a text book.
Old 03-17-11, 08:14 PM
TheManSuit

Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cincinnati was absolutely perfect for a good ride today! However, in OTR some bus driver thought it was necessary to ride my ass & honk the horn, by which I promptly turn to deliver a middle finger while shouting, "Share the f***ing road!" Perhaps not the best way to handle the situation, but I simple can't help returning the favor sometimes =) Think I'm finally back in good shape for climbing all of the monstrous hills leading up into Clifton from the lower downtown area, which I am very thankful for: feeling like you're going to die halfway up a steep climb is probably the worst ever. More to come!
Old 03-17-11, 08:33 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got some kids in car passing me and yelling F U.
I stopped on side as they were slowing down and pulled out my phone... as I calmly take picture of license plate, they make quick u-turn around where they shouldn't and was about to do another round of insult until they saw me taking photo of them. I actually even got their face shots. Now I am thinking about maybe helmet cam for just in case scenarios.
Funny thing is, if I was driving in a car and someone did that, I would have chased the person and confronted... Riding bike seems to calm me down quite a bit apparently that I didn't yell back, flicked finger, etc. Just covering my bases in case these kids gets stupid is all I cared about.
Overall, it was good and could have been better without this high school kids.
Old 03-17-11, 10:43 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
It would be interesting to see if drivers react any differently if you rode around with a picture of a camera on your back.
Old 03-18-11, 05:40 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect ride in, and I broke out the shorts for the first time.

Around 50, winds up from the South but not in my face.
Old 03-18-11, 07:38 AM
mrdelprete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First really nice day at the Jersey Shore. A nice 6 mile ride in in 30 minutes.
Old 03-18-11, 07:40 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
41f Windy, I really am getting sick of head wind, nearly everyday doesn't matter which direction I'm riding I fight headwind how the hell does that work?
Old 03-18-11, 07:47 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-8C and a frozen derailleur leaving the house this morning so I had to turn back to get it moving. Even after getting it to shift, it still gave me problems upshifting for much of the ride. I had to walk the bike at one underpass as it was extremely icy and bumpy.

I phoned the city yesterday to see if they can clear the MUP down to the pavement. Its a toss up as to whether they'll actually do it. At least the forecast has changed so we aren't expecting any snow this week. But the temperatures will be low enough that the MUP won't melt on its own.
Old 03-18-11, 07:52 AM
Allycat24

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Trek 5000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice day - around 55F this morning, 70s this afternoon. My second bike commute of the year and I love it! I'm trying out the new bike locker in my building. It has one nice rack and two flimsy racks. There are tons of locks left on the racks, most in the choice end spots. Does leaving a lock on the rack serve the same purpose as a reserved parking spot? I think not so I took an end spot. There aren't too many bikes now, but in the summer, I have seen the racks full. I plan to contact building management to ask for another rack, hopefully a sturdy one.
Old 03-18-11, 07:57 AM
.Bysikalz.
name's Jimmy :D

Bikes: One so far-- SS 88' Aerowind frame with an Amelia wheelset + other mods.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday and today will be the first two days that are actually nice. 80 high - 50 low degrees! AHhhh. Finally! Had such a nice day riding yesterday, today should be the same. Too bad it's going to rain again soon... Stupid Tennessee weather. It feels like it changes every other day... It'll probably snow 3 days from now... Anyone feel the same way about where you live? Haha.
Old 03-18-11, 08:01 AM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not bad temp wise, but windy ... .

spring in Idaho . .

only one right hook today (below average)
Old 03-18-11, 08:08 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZManT
Not bad temp wise, but windy ... .

spring in Idaho . .

only one right hook today (below average)
That's why I'm glad I ride in at 6 am I usually only see a handful of cars
Old 03-18-11, 09:07 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
High temps are supposed to hit the 80s this afternoon, but my morning commute was chilly because temps were in the mid-40s I had to dress for the afternoon as well. My pace was a little off because my legs are tired from riding the past 6 days and I had a headwind. Afternoon ride should be a breeze with tailwind much of the way and warm temps.
Old 03-18-11, 09:34 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts
38F, spitting rain but not really WET. Replaced the grease that washed out over the previous week (5" of rain!) and put a new (clean) freewheel on the SS, really smooth ride in today. Fixed is lower-maintenance.
Old 03-18-11, 10:27 AM
Raleigh GP 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ride in this morning, temps in low 50's, moderate headwind. Looking forward to the ride home when it should be in the mid-70's. Shorts and short-sleeves for sure! Can't wait.
Old 03-18-11, 11:19 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Another front coming in to NorCal, so I had a nice dry tailwind on the way to work this morning. I doubt the ride home will be as pleasant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.