Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 01:30 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasmijo
I saw this add:
-----------------------
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1352359948.html

Women's 19" Raleigh Mixte 10-speed roadbike. - $85 (Chicago)
Date: 2009-08-31, 7:17PM CDT
Reply to: jadekiel@yahoo.com

This is a very nice looking women's 19" raleigh English made 10-speed lightweight roadbike. Has the limited Mixte frame. Bike rides nicely, has all good components which work well, tires and rims are good. Frame size fits 5'3 to 5'11 feet tall.. Northside of Chicago. Email or call if interested. See bike anytime.. 773-440-6368

-----------------------
I responded with a few questions since the picture was really poor quality and the description is none too revealing.

"Hi,
Can I see some better pictures of this bike? Do you know the model name or year? Do you know the frame material? Steel wheels or aluminum?
Thanks"

And THIS is what I got back...

"Hi, no and no. What you see is what you get. , Perhaps you should just buy a new one from a bike shop. i don't have time to provide you with personal service.

take care"

The "no and no" bit is fine. Everything after that is just a little infuriating.
This guy is famous in Chicago for his attitude. There is a lot of "RE" chatter on the Bikes For Sale section of Craigslist. He posts numerous bikes all the time at the phone number and gets really ugly with anyone who askes questions. I remember asking him some general questions about a bike on the phone and he responded with curses. I didn't put it together at the time that I had once purchased a bike from him until later when I became more familiar with the local market.

There are accusations that the bikes he sells are stolen. A few years ago I bought a bike from him and later found it to have had the serial number un-ceremoniously dispatched. This was when I was just getting into bicycles, so I didn't know it was obviously a stolen bike. Though it would be wrong for me to jump to conclusions... go ahead and form your own.

The bottom line is... This guy is a negative little bugger and I would not deal with him even if he was selling my holy grail for peanuts. He is a yucky little troll. I think there is little you can do about people like that... he sells the bikes really cheap and people are going to buy from him. Personally I would love to issue him a big personal FLAG.
Old 09-01-09, 03:55 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Rare Classic Kryptonite U-Lock - $35 (berkeley)
"I'm selling my old kryptonite U-lock that i no longer use. It has the old style barrel and i have one key included

This lock is a classic and is one of the original styled u locks from years ago. These are very hard to find nowadays

Dimensions are about 4” x 11.5” "

Yeah, because they can be opened with a Bic pen.

Old 09-01-09, 05:14 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Liked 172 Times in 88 Posts
Jasmijo, I had the same experience as you, and Ivan, and lots of other people, with 'Ross.' I called about a bike he'd just posted and asked a simple question about it and he said 'Just what the ad says,' so I broke off the call. Then a few weeks later I emailed about a different bike, thinking maybe I'd just caught him at a bad time before, and got the same kind of nasty reply you did, actually mine was worse. I met an elderly guy in the suburbs who says he sells bikes to Ross, but I am really suspicious of the vague descriptions and lack of closeups in the photos--you know, the kind of thing that would allow someone to identify a bike as theirs. Ivan's story about the missing SN confirms my suspicions.

'See bike anytime.' my tuchus. How about 'never,' Ross, is 'never' good for you?
Old 09-01-09, 06:55 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
PEUGEOT ITALIAN BIKE - $230 (south bay)
Date: 2009-09-01, 12:30PM PDT

I GOT A USED BUT GOOD CONDITION PEUGEOT ITALIAN RACING BIKE ... RARE TO FIND .. ONLY IN ITALY !!
IT IS VALUED AT 900 DOLLARS .. IM JUST ASKING FOR 230 ITS ALL AUTHENTIC ..CONTACT ME AT 6ONE9 SEVEN2ONE 2THREE 4FOUR .. ISAAC

Yes, you read that right. Peugeot Italian bikes are very difficult to come by. Gather up your change and buy this thing!

The pictures are crappy, but it does not appear to be a PX10.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 09-01-09, 08:27 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/1352512478.html

I think this fella has this one priced just right. If anyone is interested I will pick it up for you.
Old 09-01-09, 08:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,882 Times in 3,934 Posts
Originally Posted by dit
https://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/1352512478.html

I think this fella has this one priced just right. If anyone is interested I will pick it up for you.
Do you think he will take a check?

Old 09-01-09, 08:48 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not from craigslist but I thought I should share this. Great for so many reasons

Old 09-01-09, 09:07 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Jasmijo, I had the same experience as you, and Ivan, and lots of other people, with 'Ross.' I called about a bike he'd just posted and asked a simple question about it and he said 'Just what the ad says,' so I broke off the call. Then a few weeks later I emailed about a different bike, thinking maybe I'd just caught him at a bad time before, and got the same kind of nasty reply you did, actually mine was worse. I met an elderly guy in the suburbs who says he sells bikes to Ross, but I am really suspicious of the vague descriptions and lack of closeups in the photos--you know, the kind of thing that would allow someone to identify a bike as theirs. Ivan's story about the missing SN confirms my suspicions.

'See bike anytime.' my tuchus. How about 'never,' Ross, is 'never' good for you?

Just to make sure I wasn't being too harsh... I emailed Ross about a bike he just listed. This is my email to him and his response after...

Hi,

What brand are the components? What brand is the saddle?

Thanks

His Response:

Don't know don't care. I do not have time for such.

So I told him to %^& off. Really! How can this guy think that he can sell bikes without at least answering basic preliminary questions? He is either completely ignorant about bikes, or he is crooked. In any case, he is a very negative character.

I will just flag his posts from now on. I think Craigslist will be better off if he is out of the picture.
Old 09-01-09, 09:33 PM
Jasmijo

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
Just to make sure I wasn't being too harsh... I emailed Ross about a bike he just listed. This is my email to him and his response after...

Hi,

What brand are the components? What brand is the saddle?

Thanks

His Response:

Don't know don't care. I do not have time for such.

So I told him to %^& off. Really! How can this guy think that he can sell bikes without at least answering basic preliminary questions? He is either completely ignorant about bikes, or he is crooked. In any case, he is a very negative character.

I will just flag his posts from now on. I think Craigslist will be better off if he is out of the picture.
That guy is such a jerk. I've seen random posts on CL saying not to buy from Ross and whatnot, now I know why. Aside from his crummy attitude I've also heard his bikes end up needing a lot of work.
Old 09-02-09, 09:25 AM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to drift too far off the thread....

But wouldn't it just be a better response to say...

"I'm sorry I don't have this information available, I sell lots of bikes and it's much easier if you come see it personally."

I still wouldn't drive over without knowing if it was worth my time, but at least I wouldn't feel like the guy is a jerk. Why would someone who uses Craigslist as a business take that road?

Most of the people I meet through buying and selling on Craigslist are great. I actually enjoy meeting new people and trading, most of the time I stand around yapping with the guy I just bought a bike from trading stories. That's why seeing this guy's postings all the time sort of burns me up a little.
Old 09-02-09, 09:35 AM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Well, I have been kind of running into that lately myself. Often to the point where I sound like an ass I imagine. But, after the 20-25th person emails you for info about a bike, and then never gets back to you, you get a little testy. Not saying it's okay, but I can understand it to a point. You do have time to
change your wording before hitting send, however. Maybe this guy literally knows nothing, and doesn't care to learn.,,,,BD
Old 09-02-09, 09:41 AM
Bikedued

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
email this posting to a friend los angeles craigslist > westside-southbay > for sale / wanted > bicycles
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Miyata 1000 - $1500 (LA)

Date: 2009-08-31, 2:19AM PDT
Reply to: sale-brxzp-1350998974@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Miyata double butted Molybdenum.The seat is a (Bernard Hinault Selle Italia Turbo), wheels are black Bullseye hubs w/Mavic G40 clincher rims.

Yes, the bike was made in 1982, and yes, you can buy a used version of the same model in very nice condition on eBay for around $1000 from time to time, but please understand that not only is this is considered the finest production-model grand touring bike ever made, but that this particular specimen is also as new as you'll ever find, not to mention the Bullseye hubs and Bernard Hinault saddle, which are pretty sweet additions to an already uber-rare garage queen.
Thank you.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1350998974

What was your point? Yes, they go for some serious change. This might be a "little" overpriced, but I imagine someone might pay that, if they wanted it badly enough. I got mine for a STEAL!! Traded my chrome Voyageur for it.,,,,BD
Old 09-02-09, 11:03 AM
clarkgriswold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This one's been up for a couple of weeks.
He started at $999 - said he had 'collectors' waiting to snap it up.
==========================

Very rare ! 1984 Ciocc PCM team pursuit bike. Heres your chance to own one. Restored with Ultegra rings, Campangnolo calipers, Campy hubs. Aero seatpost and aero Campy shifters. She's ride ready and crazy fast. Been raced, so please dont expect mint condition, its a real antique time trial bike.

Check out the aero shifters and internal wiring below.

Put it in your museum - or turn heads at the next event.

Size is for your 5'-10'' to 6'-02'' rider.

HURRY! HURRY! HURRY! WILL NOT LAST - $750 and firm.

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1354088407.html
Old 09-02-09, 12:04 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://corvallis.craigslist.org/bik/1353653225.html

Specialized Allez SE 1987! Ultegra hub, Sora and Tiagra! $1099.

LOL
Old 09-02-09, 01:19 PM
Lug Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of these Craigslist Comedians are pretty lame, but Jeebus that was !
Old 09-02-09, 05:37 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
What was your point? Yes, they go for some serious change. This might be a "little" overpriced, but I imagine someone might pay that, if they wanted it badly enough. I got mine for a STEAL!! Traded my chrome Voyageur for it.,,,,BD
Oh come on, stop being contrary just to be contrary. You would have to be half out of your mind to pay $1500 for an old Miyata.
Old 09-02-09, 06:11 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Just to vent: I can't follow craigslist links. My IP is "blocked." This is ridiculous, and has happened again and again. I have posted exactly one item for sale on craigslist, ever. I search occasionally and follow links posted here, but that's it. I don't spam. I don't flag. Seems to me craigslist doesn't have its &%$($ together. I guess only scammers and dubious characters are actually approved to access craigslist. End of rant.
Old 09-02-09, 06:20 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,882 Times in 3,934 Posts
Who you callin dubious?

Old 09-02-09, 06:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,622 Times in 1,525 Posts
Picchio Special, do you have cable modem service? Power down the cable modem for 12 to 24 hours. When you turn it back on, you may have a new IP address.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-02-09, 07:12 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Originally Posted by noglider
Picchio Special, do you have cable modem service? Power down the cable modem for 12 to 24 hours. When you turn it back on, you may have a new IP address.
OK, but why should I have to do this not to be blocked???
Old 09-02-09, 07:15 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
OK, but why should I have to do this not to be blocked???
Because someone that may have had your IP address previously may have been blocked.

Refresh the modem to get a new one and i could possibly fix it.
Old 09-02-09, 07:19 PM
Picchio Special

Originally Posted by Marrock
Because someone that may have had your IP address previously may have been blocked.

Refresh the modem to get a new one and i could possibly fix it.
I understand what you're saying. It may well get resolved - it has in the past. But that isn't my entire issue - this has happened repeatedly. If it's happening repeatedly, there's something out of whack with the way craigslist does business, IMO.
Old 09-02-09, 11:10 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
super cheap perfect condition takara - $85

after saturday i'll be raising the price to 150

its a classic 1970s road bike. its in perfect condition and is just an awesome bike to see rode around. its very smooth and quick ride. i need to pay bills and its just time to let go of it. come check it out. after saturday i'll be raising the price to 150 which its well worth so call at anytime and stop by. thank you -nick
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1356071858.html

Does this make any sense? If I don't want it for $85 today why would I want to spend $150 on Saturday?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 1.jpg (70.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-03-09, 07:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,622 Times in 1,525 Posts
It makes sense. It means hurry up and buy it now. Stores do that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-03-09, 11:14 AM
tolfan
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a bike up for sale for $100 on craigs list. reposted it 2 times over a week. The 3rd time I raised the price to $150 it sold the same day. Guess every body knows you cant get a good bike for $100 , good bikes start at $150.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.