Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 05:27 AM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Picked up my Dahon photo contest prize today - an ivy green Boardwalk D7. Thanks Dahon!

Old 08-21-12, 08:32 AM
milst1

Bikes: 2012 beixo compact 7-speed chainless folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a beixo compact 7-speed chainless which I ordered online at beixo.com. It probably wasn't the best choice for my needs, but after living in the Netherlands for 3 1/2 years, I really wanted a Dutch souvenir and I wanted a folding bike for my commute. I was attracted by the chainless tech so I passed on the only other Dutch-made folding bike in the market, made by Batavus. Dutch industry leader Gazelle no longer makes folding bikes for some reason, maybe because brompton dominates the folding market there. In spite of that, you can find a jillion different makes on any given day if you hang out in one of the big train stations during rush hours. Anyway, I've been lurking and I've enjoyed what I've read. I've also recently unfolded with my thumb inside the main hinge, nearly snipping off the end of the finger. Duh. Anyway, Fold On!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beixo.jpg (102.7 KB, 242 views)
Old 08-21-12, 12:40 PM
DAME

Bikes: '18 Trek Roscoe 8, '10 SOMA Double Cross, '12 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't even know they made a folding bike with a shaft drive. How's the ride?
Old 08-31-12, 04:42 PM
milst1

Bikes: 2012 beixo compact 7-speed chainless folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DAME
I didn't even know they made a folding bike with a shaft drive. How's the ride?
I have not experienced any problems or issues except for tightening a loose nut when I heard some noise. Gear shifting is similar in smoothness to chain shifting, maybe a little less clack-clack overall.

No other issues so far that I can report. I guess the big plus is no chain grease when you're picking it up and carrying it, nor can you pop the chain off by accident (does that ever actually happen?).

Dynamic also makes a folding chainless bike here in the USA: https://www.dynamicbicycles.com/bicycles/sidekick8.php

Cheers, Martin
Old 09-07-12, 07:12 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my Brompton with my new DIY folding trailer...

Old 09-08-12, 12:22 PM
NoSheep

Bikes: pending!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need trailer that to carry my guitar down the street where I practice! Can you describe how you made it?
Old 09-08-12, 12:24 PM
NoSheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon Ciao D5

I just rode it for the first time yesterday. I love it but the gear shifter doesn't respond very well. It feels stiff. There's no derailer, just the internal hub. Anyone know what may be wrong?
Old 09-08-12, 02:30 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSheep
I need trailer that to carry my guitar down the street where I practice! Can you describe how you made it?
I used a folding hand truck I had.

Burley Travoy seatpost hitch and a round tube trailer flex connector. The tube is a 27.2mm seatpost that I cut and the end clamped to the trailer is the handlebar clamp from a 26mm stem. The seatpost tube is pressed into the stem. I plan on replacing the center bolt with something low profile and replacing one of the stem screw with a knob for loosening for easier folding.

I still need to figure out a front kickstand, since the bigger wheels make it sit taller. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it...very stable when towing.
Old 09-08-12, 02:34 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have a before, but looked like this...

Here's the back side. Using clevis pins for a quick release. (Don't mind the washers...used them to figure out spacer size for a tight fit)

Wheels and clevis pins removed...

Folded with wheels removed...

Folded with wheels attached for the heck of it...

More to come. Still working on the hitch components since Amazon is taking forever with my Burley hitch parts.
Old 09-09-12, 11:05 AM
urbanjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my z-bike I got off of ebay for $60. I’ve put around $200 into it so far

Extended seatpost
Extended bar stem
5-speed freewheel cogset
16 x 1.5 road tires
60t chainring and 170mm crankset
V-brakes
Head tube extended by 1 ½ inches
All metal short cage Shimano derailleur

It's no Moulton but I’m pretty happy with it. The folding joint is a bad design since all the frame load is taken by the pins only and not the bracket. The holes have already elongated after a month of riding. Gotta fix that. I’m thinking about building out a 16” wheel using a Shimano Capreo hub. That will get me to a 60/9. Despite my tiny tire rollout, at 100 rpm I should be able to hit 30mph.

Anybody using the Capreo hub on either a 16” or 20” ?

Attached Images
z-bike-small.jpg (98.7 KB, 255 views)
V-brake_small.jpg (102.0 KB, 224 views)
Old 09-09-12, 12:33 PM
BearLite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Owner of a folding bike again, after a break of 6 or 7 years.. Had a Dahon Presto P3 in London which was good for commuting and weekend rides on the country side. Bought this last week, second hand but in great condition. A Dahon Mu P8. To be used occationally for riding to work (5 km one-way), and will bring it in my sailboat, and for some longer daytrips and possibly weekend touring. I've ordered front and rear racks. Will also buy Schwalbe Big Apple tyres which are great for ride comfort.

Attached Images
DSC_0471.jpg (102.5 KB, 234 views)
Old 09-10-12, 08:01 AM
NoSheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures! Thanks so much
Old 09-11-12, 03:00 AM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Our new Dahon Boardwalk D7. Not sure what happened to the photo above.

Old 09-11-12, 05:11 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanjockey
This is my z-bike I got off of ebay for $60. I’ve put around $200 into it so far

Extended seatpost
Extended bar stem
5-speed freewheel cogset
16 x 1.5 road tires
60t chainring and 170mm crankset
V-brakes
Head tube extended by 1 ½ inches
All metal short cage Shimano derailleur

It's no Moulton but I’m pretty happy with it. The folding joint is a bad design since all the frame load is taken by the pins only and not the bracket. The holes have already elongated after a month of riding. Gotta fix that. I’m thinking about building out a 16” wheel using a Shimano Capreo hub. That will get me to a 60/9. Despite my tiny tire rollout, at 100 rpm I should be able to hit 30mph.

Anybody using the Capreo hub on either a 16” or 20” ?

Good work, but slightly mad !!!
Old 09-13-12, 07:25 AM
twizzrocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G'day folding people,
I have two folders. It's a long story but briefly, I was looking at a Birdy and saw a Bike Friday Tikit (16" wheels) for sale. A 2nd hand Tikit is a rare machine so bought it.
When looking for the ad, to take a screen shot, I saw a Birdy with 20" wheels (usually 18") and a 14sp Rolloff Hub !!
Well wot would u do ? Off to the bank for a loan. Still paying it off but worth it.
I just like small wheels.
The Birdy replaces a road bike, 120psi tyres with small travel dual suspension, just right. I could put on Big Apple touring tyres but with the bigger wheels there would not be much clearance for mud. (note for people wanting to "upgrade" to bigger wheels (why) ?! It also adds to step-over height & raises the centre of gravity).
The Tikit is a great local & beyond tourer. 7 sp is just enuf & folds realy quickly. I just fold it & stand it in an out of the way place in the shop. I even have a pic of me with bike in one hand, beer in the other & (trying) to chat up a bar lady manager.
Everyone says the small wheels are slower..... well they just have to be , don't they ? Well no actually. I did 80km/hr by accident on the Tikit and a 70k day ride.
Smaller wheels and geometry of these bikes makes for twichy-er handling but they can handle rougher than bitumen and off road nearly as well as bigger wheels & tyres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQscB...layer_embedded
Old 09-17-12, 05:26 AM
twizzrocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get in first with a comment like "funny bike coming thru".
Old 09-19-12, 11:24 PM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Little Red

I finally finished Little Red yesterday. My wife wanted a folder so she can take the bus and subway one way of her 15 mile commute if she gets cold and/or tired. So this was my solution.

I found the Fuji (non-Marlboro "Fuji America" headbadge, so presumably it was bought in a bike shop?) frameset at Neighborhood Bike Works in South Philly. See the thread specifically about these at https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post14751298. The frame and fork on these things are nice 4130 Cr-Mo, designed by Montague, with a total frame and fork weight of 7lbs. The stock kit that these came with was low-end MTB, and clearly holding them back! So I decided to build this one up as a fast tourer. The only original things on this "Marlboro" are the frame, fork, headset, seat/frame clamp, and canti guide stop!

She is one fast, sweet ride. A little too small for me, but should be perfect for her! I hope she appreciates the difference between this and a "normal" folder!

Here's the build:
Drivetrain: Sora 8-speed brifters, Sora FD, Deore XT RD, black Taya chain, 165mm Bulletproof cranks with 50/36, 12-24 cluster (planning to throw on a much bigger top cog for a bailout gear)
Brakes: Deore LX cantis with Kool Stop salmon pads
Wheels: Bontrager Select Aero 650c 20-spoke (to keep the weight down, standover height low, and folded size small)
Tires: Tufo CS33 26" Special "tubeless" tubular clinchers with sealant inside (should be able to ride these things till the treads wear through without ever flatting)
Pedals: Plastic folding platform pedals that I got off a friend. Not sure what make, but they seem beefier and grippier than the Dahon ones I've seen before
Saddle: WTB Leisure She
Seatpost: Avenir alloy micro-adjust
Bars: Icon 39cm alloy
Quill: Nashbar 1" quill to 1 1/8" theadless adapter
Stem: CS adjustable 90mm with bolts removed and replaced with quick release skewers (used brake bolts to create a flat surface to clamp against)
Rack: Bor Yueh Urban (attaches to both sides of the seat/folding clamp, under the quick release, and does not interfere with the fold). Should be able to strap my Nashbar Bike Bag to the top for easy bagability.

Attached Images
IMGP0856.jpg (89.1 KB, 194 views)
IMGP0855.jpg (87.8 KB, 192 views)
IMGP0853.jpg (85.3 KB, 189 views)
IMGP0852small.jpg (94.4 KB, 189 views)
IMGP0851small.jpg (103.0 KB, 187 views)
IMGP0848small.jpg (102.5 KB, 207 views)
IMGP0850.jpg (92.3 KB, 188 views)
IMGP0849.jpg (101.9 KB, 219 views)
IMGP0842.jpg (99.5 KB, 186 views)
IMGP0840.jpg (101.5 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by pocky; 09-29-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 06:31 PM
Sancycles

Bikes: Assorted brand, model, & type

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My lastest in my collection, an Araya Handy Duck. Alloy frame.

Old 09-23-12, 12:50 PM
FoldingLawrence

Bikes: Tern Link P9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike Sancycles!
Old 10-01-12, 07:48 PM
BigWickerJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Friday NWT and the wife's Crusoe

Old 10-02-12, 09:28 AM
JosephLMonti

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Great pic! Where was it taken (body of water)?
Old 10-04-12, 05:27 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Forrest and I spent a few days in Fairhaven / Bellingham... finally got my fenders installed and added a BM Lumotec that I have yet to power up.

Old 10-04-12, 05:31 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWickerJim
Bike Friday NWT and the wife's Crusoe

Really nice... those Edmonton bikes do get around.

Old 10-05-12, 04:15 AM
Vampy

Bikes: Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There you go, that truck was worth a picture of both!
Attached Images
Smoothoundfirefighter.jpg (98.6 KB, 299 views)
Old 10-08-12, 03:16 PM
BigWickerJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! The pic was taken at Saltpoint State Park in California.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.