Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 07:48 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McTufferton
I'm officially sandbagging in the 3's, though I won't be upgrading anytime soon unless my hand is forced.
Booooooooooooo.
Old 06-10-12, 08:07 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour De Mount Pleasant here in michigan. 16 miles in, a jackass in his first race decided to grab a ton of brakes on the straight flat road we were on crashing me and 6 others, Cracked my pelvis and spent 5 hours in the hospital yay. down for at least a month... but its minor, so im just limited to crutches and no weight bearing. bah. bike seems ok.
Old 06-10-12, 08:13 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden

(I read below before edit) Homebrew, shovel told me you were there; I'll have to look up your kit because I couldn't discern it while in the race. I will absolutely take you up on that offer. Your result looked decent to me. And if you want to go during the race at some juncture, just let me know and I can diesel for a bit.
Sent you a pic.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-10-12, 08:15 PM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
River City Bicycle Classic - Evansville, IN.
Our first local race in twenty years. I was on the planning committee so my results were crummy but the race went off without a hitch. A great success and we'll be doing it again next year! Take note Ohio valley residents!

Last edited by Ultraslide; 06-10-12 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 08:17 PM
BrainInAJar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crapweasel
Apparently ours is 400m 25*, which seems almost relaxing compared to the other one up in Vancouver. 200m and 47*

You love our velodrome, admit it. Nothing like diving out of the corner and getting a quarter lap on the field before anyone realizes you were there
Old 06-11-12, 12:14 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Tour De Mount Pleasant here in michigan. 16 miles in, a jackass in his first race decided to grab a ton of brakes on the straight flat road we were on crashing me and 6 others, Cracked my pelvis and spent 5 hours in the hospital yay. down for at least a month... but its minor, so im just limited to crutches and no weight bearing. bah. bike seems ok.
Ouch. Heal up.
Old 06-11-12, 12:22 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraslide
River City Bicycle Classic - Evansville, IN.
Our first local race in twenty years. I was on the planning committee so my results were crummy but
the race went off without a hitch. A great success and we'll be doing it again next year! Take note Ohio valley residents!
Nice.
Old 06-11-12, 05:19 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, heal up.
Old 06-11-12, 06:11 AM
McTufferton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Booooooooooooo.
Looking back, my statement sounds worse than it is. After yesterdays race, I have the points to upgrade to 2, but I'm leading our state 'all around rider' competition and would like to see how it shakes out.
Old 06-11-12, 06:42 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang it. Heal up quick.
Old 06-11-12, 06:44 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McTufferton
Looking back, my statement sounds worse than it is. After yesterdays race, I have the points to upgrade to 2, but I'm leading our state 'all around rider' competition and would like to see how it shakes out.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Good luck with your BAR challenge. Upgrading can wait until that is decided.
Old 06-11-12, 06:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 894 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
It is hard for me to get away on a Sunday for a training crit, but the course looks to be perfect for this. I have been hyping this to the 5's on my team as a cheap way to get races in. I have no idea if any 352 guys made it out.
I didn't notice any 352 jerseys.

It is the perfect course for new racers, wide open, easy turns, smooth surface.

And the side of town it's on is closer to Gainesville.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-11-12, 06:50 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
I chatted with cdr, the "missus" and "junior" after the race. Junior continues to be model cute. Seriously, you have to see this young lad.
It was good to chat and ride with all you. Okay, I didn't race the ones shovel did, but hb and bg.

Junior from that day, during the P123 race (which I watched... jeepers it looked fast):
Attached Images
Old 06-11-12, 06:53 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I didn't race the ones shovel did
I hope you're still racing when you hit M55+.
Old 06-11-12, 06:59 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
GRW -- hey, pretty good for just tooling around.

ftfy
Great to see you Homebrew, CDR. I heard you screaming, BG. Thanks.
Caloso -- like golf, banish the negative thoughts and only have good swing thoughts.

Mattm -- still, clearly you are quickly getting the hang of it and can compete for podiums.

Merlin -- nice to make goals; impressive "facilities"

RX -- There's an RX for that.

MC-T -- you are a tuff guy.

Darb -- ow, yucko, glad it sounds more manageable that one would think.
Old 06-11-12, 07:33 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, so did I.

I've done hundreds of races, and still have so much to learn.
And it sounds like you are marked man at this point - makes it tough to stay away.
Old 06-11-12, 07:43 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SC RR Championships - Cat 4

Should have known better, but lined up mid/rear pack. Once we started going, there was no moving up. I've never seen so many content people. I was slowly squeezing my way through, when someone dropped a bottle. Chaos ensued, and everyone dodged the bottle and came out OK. 5 seconds later, a whole row of us hit a massive ugly pot hole, unsuspecting after the bottle chaos. I pinch flatted immediately. No wheel truck today for us, so my race was over. After getting picked up by the SAG truck of the pro women's race behind, we ended up picking up 4 other people that had flatted. Most unfortunate day. 10 miles wasn't much of a race.

Good news is when I got in the car my Cat 3 was approved, so that was my last Cat 4 race!
Old 06-11-12, 07:48 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
American Pride Crit, Newport News, VA, 6/9/2012.

This was the first racing I've done since upgrading out of cat 5, so I didn't expect much for the day.

Masters 30+: Not sure why I thought this was a good idea to sign up for, but I did. A new cat 4 probably doesn't have much business in a race that half the participants were cat 2, but it was a (very) small field (16), so I figured "What the hell?". I thought I'd try to hold on for a few laps before be blown off the back. Much to my surprise, I held on the full race, finished with the pack, and didn't come in dead last as I expected. 12/16. I'll certainly put that one down in the "Good Experience" book. The difference in how the group approaches corners in a race like that is such a learning experience. I'm used to the brake fest that cat 5 is as you approach a corner. This was infinitely smoother.

Cat 4: First actual cat 4 race post upgrade. Still not a big field (27? starters), but we have to take what we can get in south eastern VA. Only plan for the race was to not do anything stupid, stay off the front, and away from the back. All was fine until 11 laps to go when a puncture became a sealant fountain, spraying down my leg and frame (Conti Sprinter tubular, under 2 weeks old, awesome). Luckily I'd brought wheels to the wheel pit, and it happened just past the pit (and the free laps went away @ lap 10). Changed the wheel, jumped back on the back of the group next time around, and started moving back up. Laps clicked down, kept moving up, crossed the line in 9th. I'll take that as the first actual cat 4 result.

Old 06-11-12, 08:12 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
The difference in how the group approaches corners in a race like that is such a learning experience. I'm used to the brake fest that cat 5 is as you approach a corner. This was infinitely smoother.
Now that you've had a taste of the smooth cornering, you're going to find the Cat4 races, and especially 4-5 if they do those in your region, pretty dang frustrating.
Old 06-11-12, 08:18 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Now that you've had a taste of the smooth cornering, you're going to find the Cat4 races, and especially 4-5 if they do those in your region, pretty dang frustrating.
Yeah, the 4 race was definitely different than the Masters race. It wasn't as bad as the 5 races, but it wasn't that much better. The are some 4/5 races around here, but they are luckily the exception.

Old 06-11-12, 08:55 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
I hope you're still racing when you hit M55+.
long term goals include 50+ and 55+.

when one of the 65+ rolled by (i think he is like 70+) i turned to the missus. "that'll be me in 30 years"
Old 06-11-12, 09:15 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nutmeg on Saturday. Unfortunately I'm no Shovel in crits, and Saturday was not my day. I went with the one move I thought was promising, but there was nothing doing. Right when it got caught, but while the field was still strung-out single file, with me third wheel, is where I normally would have countered, but since my breathing was already crap, I just settled in and recovered. They didn't give us laps until 5 to go, which was 5 minutes before I was expecting it (they cut the race short), and like BG I just could not find anywhere to move up. The dude on the mountain bike in the middle of the downhill lefthand turn going into the sprint was another nice surprise. Kudos to the chick who bunny-hopped onto the grass to go around him and keep it all upright. I just rolled in at the back.

Sunday was the TTT, which I repeatedly asked to be excused from, given my inability to put in any efforts longer than a minute. Judicious wheel-sucking makes me look deceptively stronger than I really am, which I've tried to explain over and over, but our dumb team manager insisted on my being on our A team anyways. She got what was coming to her when I pulled myself from the race exactly 1:10 into it, choking and gasping and generally flipping out. That's the worst I've ever experienced this no-breathing thing, and it was kind of terrifying. Overall it was a really bad experience. I'm a big girl and should have been firmer about not doing the race, but I guess part of me still wants to believe that I can just 'try harder' to will my way through it. We lost to our competitor for the season-long team competition by 15". They only needed 3 to cross the line, but even having a weaker fourth for some of the race probably would have saved them those 15 seconds.
Old 06-11-12, 10:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
GRW -- hey, pretty good for just tooling around.

ftfy

Caloso -- like golf, banish the negative thoughts and only have good swing thoughts.

Mattm -- still, clearly you are quickly getting the hang of it and can compete for podiums.

Merlin -- nice to make goals; impressive "facilities"

RX -- There's an RX for that.

MC-T -- you are a tuff guy.

Darb -- ow, yucko, glad it sounds more manageable that one would think.
Thanks, BG. At this point, I am beginning to realize that this sport is 90% half mental.
Old 06-11-12, 11:35 AM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday was my fourth race of the season and third DNF. I didn't drop out but got lapped just a few hundred meters from the finish line and that's what they put on the results. Despite that result I actually felt pretty good about my race. I put in a little attack early just to get myself into the race and felt reasonably strong until about 5 laps to go (out of 16) when the heat started to get to me a bit. Shortly after I was off the back, working with a few other stragglers to at least finish the race.

I'm coming to accept that my upgrade to Senior 3 may have been a bit premature and it's taking me a while to get used to the faster pace and longer distances. This season is looking more and more like a write off but I've learned lots about myself, my level of commitment to this sport (or lack thereof), and the importance of doing a proper off-season base period, particularly with my unusually small engine. Got a few weeks off until my next race so hopefully I can bump up the fitness a bit and maybe land some pack finishes for the second half of the season.
Old 06-11-12, 11:45 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sunshine HC, boulder, CO.

2 hours of sleep + locked up FD than forced me to climb the first steep section in my big ring (thereby missing the first attack) = pretty disappointing day. ended up 9th on a very tough course though.

i know that so far this season i am climbing better than that result shows. big bummer. i'll be back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.