Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXV

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 08:06 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Hey all. Long time no talk. I dropped in with bad news a few weeks ago. The good news is that my mom is doing/feeling much better after getting over her first round of chemo. They are doing a PET scan today to try and get a more definitive answer of what they are dealing with. It's been almost a month already and we still don't have any solid answers.

But on the internet front: I'm learning once again how similar all forums are to each other. As I mentioned, I recently picked up the guitar again and have been really enjoying it. I joined an acoustic guitar forum and the results have been as expected. People type more than they play. People are really big fans of 1 or 2 brands and basically look down on everything else, ESPECIALLY import models made at extremely low prices. There is one import brand that gets a lot of love, but is not exactly shy about what company they emulate. Lots of people are worried about how much their guitars cost, from the "I paid this much and it's this much better" to the "best bang for the buck" crowd.

I mean seriously, people just don't change.

On the cycling front, I'm not getting any freaking riding in. Guitar has stepped in for my mental release during the busy season of life right now. I can play for 10-15 minutes at a time without having to wear special clothes and leave the house. The wife is finishing her first successful year at the new school this week and things will soon be more relaxed. I am looking forward to getting on a bike again for both mental release and exercise, but Texas summer already sucks. Looks like some night rides are in my future.
Old 06-01-17, 08:06 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Going in later today to discuss a job offer.
Old 06-01-17, 08:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Look on the bright side. I bet you lost a couple pounds.

PS
Yeah, but let's hope that it didn't come straight outta the guads.
Old 06-01-17, 08:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
We are keeping the spotted cow over here and as long as you keep that so called profession football team on you side of the river we will be fine
Originally Posted by RPK79
I'm right across the border so it's easy enough to smuggle it.

I usually only drink that if I stop on a ride in wi. I do often buy rush river - unforgivin amber ale though which is also a wi beer.
Oh, was that a beer reference? It's not like I'm hurting for good beer to drink over here, so no worries.
Old 06-01-17, 08:17 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, was that a beer reference? It's not like I'm hurting for good beer to drink over here, so no worries.
Yeah the wisconsinites are obsessed with the spotted cow.
Old 06-01-17, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Hey all. Long time no talk. I dropped in with bad news a few weeks ago. The good news is that my mom is doing/feeling much better after getting over her first round of chemo. They are doing a PET scan today to try and get a more definitive answer of what they are dealing with. It's been almost a month already and we still don't have any solid answers.

But on the internet front: I'm learning once again how similar all forums are to each other. As I mentioned, I recently picked up the guitar again and have been really enjoying it. I joined an acoustic guitar forum and the results have been as expected. People type more than they play. People are really big fans of 1 or 2 brands and basically look down on everything else, ESPECIALLY import models made at extremely low prices. There is one import brand that gets a lot of love, but is not exactly shy about what company they emulate. Lots of people are worried about how much their guitars cost, from the "I paid this much and it's this much better" to the "best bang for the buck" crowd.

On the cycling front, I'm not getting any freaking riding in. Guitar has stepped in for my mental release during the busy season of life right now. I can play for 10-15 minutes at a time without having to wear special clothes and leave the house. The wife is finishing her first successful year at the new school this week and things will soon be more relaxed. I am looking forward to getting on a bike again for both mental release and exercise, but Texas summer already sucks. Looks like some night rides are in my future.
Fingers crossed for good news on mom and say 'hai' to pcad for us over at GF.net

Old 06-01-17, 08:24 AM
WhyFi

I know that I've heard of some beer so fantastical that they they take pride in not exporting it to other states - is this the one? Sounds like good marketing, nothing more, nothing less. Do Wisconsinites not know that there are now more good breweries than you can shake a stick at?
Old 06-01-17, 08:27 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

I know that I've heard of some beer so fantastical that they they take pride in not exporting it to other states - is this the one? Sounds like good marketing, nothing more, nothing less. Do Wisconsinites not know that there are now more good breweries than you can shake a stick at?
Yes, spotted cow is one of the unexported magic beers. It's nothing special though.
Old 06-01-17, 08:28 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Ugh, I was in the bathroom and decided to brush my teeth, but I still have coffee to drink.
Old 06-01-17, 08:33 AM
WhyFi

Yes, spotted cow is one of the unexported magic beers. It's nothing special though.
On the subject of ubiquity of good beer, I need to check out the Edina liquor special of the month now that it's June. I always pick up whatever the special is and it's always pretty damn good.
Old 06-01-17, 08:36 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

On the subject of ubiquity of good beer, I need to check out the Edina liquor special of the month now that it's June. I always pick up whatever the special is and it's always pretty damn good.
My beer consumption is way down since becoming unemployed. Most of my beer drinking is when I'm dining out since tap beer is so much better than bottled.
Old 06-01-17, 08:37 AM
WhyFi

Ugh, I was in the bathroom and decided to brush my teeth, but I still have coffee to drink.
Ha - this reminded me of something the boy a couple days ago. He got home from school and asked for some yogurt, something that he has every morning. As he was eating it, he stopped and asked if it was the same stuff as usual; I told him that it was. "Well, it tastes a little different... are you sure?" It was then that I realized that the only time that he typically eats yogurt is immediately after brushing his teeth in the morning. I had to explain to him that what he was currently experiencing was what the yogurt really tastes like.
Old 06-01-17, 08:42 AM
WhyFi

My beer consumption is way down since becoming unemployed. Most of my beer drinking is when I'm dining out since tap beer is so much better than bottled.
B- b- b- but the cost of 1.5 tap beers = the cost of a 6-pack!

Beer poured from the bottle/can in to a glass is dandy. There's a chance that the same beer on tap might be better (could be fresher and I'm a fan of nitro), but there's also the chance that the bar doesn't clean their lines as often as they should.

IOW, I don't discriminate and drink where and when I can.
Old 06-01-17, 08:43 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Beer poured from the bottle/can in to a glass is dandy. There's a chance that the same beer on tap might be better (could be fresher and I'm a fan of nitro), but there's also the chance that the bar doesn't clean their lines as often as they should.

Post ride free beer is best.
Old 06-01-17, 09:03 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,550 Times in 4,558 Posts

I need to see if I can find cheep micro brew in PHX. I had a $2 pint micro Tuesdays joint in North Portland and a $2 micro everyday tavern in Northeast.

There was hardly any micro in Rock Springs so it was always $5
Old 06-01-17, 09:09 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I'm in a quandary of my own making. If I correct spelling and grammar errors, I am lambasted for being a putz. If I don't, you guys gloat over my missing something. What to do? What to do? I guess I will opt for putz as it is at least authentic.

Lightning has no "e" except when it means to remove weight from something. So it is "thunder and lightning" and "We were lightening the plane by throwing the penman out the side door as he so justly deserved."

You go right ahead and correct my spelling any time you want to, penman. Whatever makes an old putz's day .
Old 06-01-17, 09:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Domane+, Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, ICE VTX WC

Liked 5,147 Times in 2,308 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Thanks for the history lesson.
In my original post, I should have stated, "much safer" not "much better."

Old 06-01-17, 09:12 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Hope it goes well!

WhyFi

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I need to see if I can find cheep micro brew in PHX. I had a $2 pint micro Tuesdays joint in North Portland and a $2 micro everyday tavern in Northeast.

There was hardly any micro in Rock Springs so it was always $5
How long do you plan to stay in PHX?
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Just mention cheese curds. That seems to distract them for awhile.

Old 06-01-17, 09:30 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Just mention cheese curds. That seems to distract them for awhile.
Went to culvers yesterday and they gave me fries instead of the curds I asked for. They only charged for the fries so I didn't bother driving back to complain, but I was looking forward to those curds damnit.
Old 06-01-17, 09:34 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,550 Times in 4,558 Posts
How long do you plan to stay in PHX?
Couple or three years, if we can stand it for that long
Old 06-01-17, 09:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Couple or three years, if we can stand it for that long
Oh, I didn't realize that you were planning on being there that long.
Old 06-01-17, 09:38 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
My back was too messed up to ride last night. Maybe tonight, if rain holds off.

Anyone know of any side effects of riding while on muscle relaxers? Falling asleep at the wheel?
Old 06-01-17, 09:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,569 Times in 4,424 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels

I hope mom does ok.

So I have a gee-tar question. What do you think about guitarsdirect.com, which model is bulletproof and gives me the best bang for the buck?? Do I need a carbon fiber neck???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.