Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 04:24 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
I haven't seen a many good deals on used bikes either in about 3, maybe 4 years, people are selling old junk bikes labeling them as vintage and selling them for far more then the junk value they're actually worth. Apparently by putting on the vintage label it makes the bike worth another $350; but this phenomenon isn't just only the used cycling market it's also a lot of other stuff too. I guess with the baby boomers coming of age and wanting to buy things that were in their past is driving up prices like crazy, once the baby boomers die and the buying frenzy of having something vintage is gone then prices will drop...by then it won't matter to me either since more than likely I too will be gone.
Old 09-30-16, 06:26 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 250 Posts
I am sure it was easier to cut through the top tube than the lock.

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Picked up this Somec from Chicago CL. Think that little oopsie on the top tube will buff out?

Old 09-30-16, 10:58 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The junkyards I've been to to sell scrap metal at will absolutely not sell you anything out of their metal piles! Except at one sort of of you go to the management office you can arrange to buy future like items if your willing to negotiate a price that makes it worth their time to have the men sort it out. Personally I've never bothered trying this as I truely couldn't afford what I've already spent on bicycles and parts for them this year. Two broken down cars and the third car having issues and I'm putting money into bicycles, my priorities are messed up.

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I haven't seen a many good deals on used bikes either in about 3, maybe 4 years, people are selling old junk bikes labeling them as vintage and selling them for far more then the junk value they're actually worth. Apparently by putting on the vintage label it makes the bike worth another $350; but this phenomenon isn't just only the used cycling market it's also a lot of other stuff too. I guess with the baby boomers coming of age and wanting to buy things that were in their past is driving up prices like crazy, once the baby boomers die and the buying frenzy of having something vintage is gone then prices will drop...by then it won't matter to me either since more than likely I too will be gone.
Same around here most people have been asking consistently $100 or more for old department store bikes, such as those marked "J.C. Penny" and "Sears" because they're *gasp* "vintage". At an estate sale being handled by and estate liquidation company just back in August I found what looked to be a 1980's model 10-speed huffy, they wanted $175 for it!

Last edited by game_player_s; 09-30-16 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 04:50 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s
The junkyards I've been to to sell scrap metal at will absolutely not sell you anything out of their metal piles! Except at one sort of of you go to the management office you can arrange to buy future like items if your willing to negotiate a price that makes it worth their time to have the men sort it out. Personally I've never bothered trying this as I truely couldn't afford what I've already spent on bicycles and parts for them this year. Two broken down cars and the third car having issues and I'm putting money into bicycles, my priorities are messed up.

Same around here most people have been asking consistently $100 or more for old department store bikes, such as those marked "J.C. Penny" and "Sears" because they're *gasp* "vintage". At an estate sale being handled by and estate liquidation company just back in August I found what looked to be a 1980's model 10-speed huffy, they wanted $175 for it!
the junkyards around where I live pile the bikes up into one pile, but I've only gone to a junkyard once (I don't have the time to go every week or whenever and look) and found all the bikes to be in horrible condition, not sure if that's because they get dumped into a pile of metal with a dump truck then scooped up with a bucket loader and dumped into another pile, who knows, but on a rare occasion I do find a bike in a dumpster that was a nice bike in it's day and the cleaning up I have to do is minimal, I have found a couple of once upon a time nice bikes in a dumpster that were so terrible in condition that it would have been either impossible to restore or not worth the money and time to restore. But like I mentioned before I've found some pretty decent bikes in the trash; I never go out of my way and just look in dumpsters, I found those bikes because I saw some part of a bike sticking up above the dumpster so I would go look to see if it's any good, I probably missed a few good bikes that were in dumpsters simply because I couldn't see them from street level as I was driving by. I found a few more bikes than I've kept, I given away several to youth, friends, and a family member over the years after I've fixed them up.
Old 10-01-16, 07:36 AM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
1983 Peugeot PFN10

Apologies for the cross-posting from the Single Speed and Fixed Gear Forum, but I did actually dig this out of a pile of bikes destined for the scrap heap. I'm going to build it up into a fixed gear. My first bike build! More pics and info here.

Old 10-01-16, 07:48 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 2,260 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I didn't actually catch this , is sort of sank to me. I think it is a department store brand (Executive) - I am pretty sure that one of the Mad Men would have been proud to ride it back in the day.

The welded frame was made in Austria, the 3 speed hub and shifter are Shimano, and the saddle appears to be a Messinger or Persons. The bike has a strange bottom bracket/crank where the drive side crank arm and axle are one piece - the non-drive side is cottered. I have not seen one of these before.

It is complete, but was in pieces. I think it will donate a few of parts and then it will be a giveaway after fixing it.
-----------------

hello dweenk,

have encountered this marque as well and like you assume it to be that of a chain store. do not know/recall which one. cycle made by steyr. chainset is a thun. you may discover that what appears at first to be a wedgebolt is rather a pinchbolt. these sets are easily serviced without recourse to special tools. also sometimes referred to as thompson-simplex. they do not employ the shell's threads.

there has been a discussion of this badge over at the schwinn forum. one poster suggested it may belong to one of the kresge group of companies: https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=22806.0

my guesstimate would be that it is slightly later than the mad men era.

you may wish to post it to the "show us your austrian bikes" thread:https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ian-bikes.html

---------------------

Last edited by juvela; 10-01-16 at 05:13 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-03-16, 10:28 AM
rdjohannes

Bikes: 90's Trek 850, 05 Giant Yukon, and many others that pass through my hands between the junk yard and a new owner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
junk yard bikes

I saw I was quoted about my local junk yard. It's a small, small town scrap yard. I know the owner and his family. But they do let people just walk in, look through the piles and buy things. I've picked up Weber grills, fencing for my garden, and dozens of bikes. But on the bikes, it's just not the same as it was 10 years ago or even last year. In fact, I haven't picked up a bike from there this year!
Old 10-03-16, 12:18 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by rdjohannes
I saw I was quoted about my local junk yard. It's a small, small town scrap yard. I know the owner and his family. But they do let people just walk in, look through the piles and buy things. I've picked up Weber grills, fencing for my garden, and dozens of bikes. But on the bikes, it's just not the same as it was 10 years ago or even last year. In fact, I haven't picked up a bike from there this year!
My only dumpster experience left me so crushed that I gave up on it. Many years ago went to the local Goodwill center (both donations and retail outlet) to donate some household goods. I'd recently gotten my Raleigh Sports and wanted some nice alloy DC #135 touring levers to replace the clunky steel items on the Raleigh, and maybe some nice DC sidepull calipers. After dropping the stuff I noticed the end of a handlebar poking up out of one of those huge construction dumpsters and the bar had a rubber grip and just what I was looking for, the coveted DC #135. I had to have a look. Climbed up on the side to peek in and spotted a perfect Motobecane Nobly 3-speed from the mid-'70s; sparkling yellow paint (frame, fenders and chainguard), good chrome, Sturmey rear hub with straight wheels sporting the Rigida Super Chromix serrated rims, and 23" frame. My size. Beautiful bike, just resting in the metal recycling bin.

They would not let me pull it out and set it aside, since items not sold at the auction were destined for the recycler or the landfill. I had no cash or checkbook with me so raced home and back prepared to spend enough to make my wife mad and when I returned they'd heaved several washers and dryers into the dumpster on top of the bike. I didn't even want to see what might have happened.
Old 10-05-16, 11:44 AM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Goodwill is notorious for destroying donated items, one of many contributing factors to them loosing charitable organization status in both the states of Georgia and South Carolina. Sadly this has not stopped people from donating goods to them.

Back in the late 90's my parents had the unfortunate experience of discovering they were victims of credit fraud and because it had not entirely been caught in time found themselves on the hook for nearly $100,000 in bills that were all fraudulent. We survived by raiding the dumpsters behind one of the local Goodwill's on Friday nights and flipping the stuff we found at the flea market the following morning for nearly two straight years. Goodwill eventually caught on to how popular their dumpsters were and eventually replaced them with fully enclosed compacting disposal units. It's rather tragic to think about the wastefulness they get away with.
Old 10-05-16, 11:58 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Gitane Resurrection

Before and afters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
G1.jpg (100.0 KB, 594 views)
Gitane Grand Sport De Luxe 01.jpg (100.7 KB, 588 views)
Gitane Grand Sport De Luxe 02.jpg (102.4 KB, 587 views)
Gitane Grand Sport De Luxe 03.jpg (102.9 KB, 598 views)
Gitane Grand Sport De Luxe 05.jpg (102.4 KB, 590 views)
Old 10-05-16, 05:35 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
Just took this in trade, has quite a bit of chipped paint but otherwise is in great shape and surprisingly the decals are all in excellent condition. Wheelset is an oddity, matching Araya rims with a DuraAce front hub and a Deore XT rear hub. FD is a Deore LX and the rear is a long cage 105. TA Specialties triple crankset. First order of business will be a stem and handlebar change.

Old 10-05-16, 08:34 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 608 Posts
Many years ago, I found and saved a "17 Specialized Hard Rock from the side of the dumpster in our complex. All it had was the rear wheel, no tire, no seat. Added some parts to it including front susp. and turned it into my first "real" mountain bike. (red bike in the foreground which was replaced by my present HardRock Disc in the background).
Today I kinda saved a Shogun 300. A lady gave it to me. Garaged, hardly ridden, bought new mack in the late 80's to early 90's. Will give it a cleaning and once over probably tomorrow. I'll probably ride it for a bit or forever, lol
Attached Images
IMG_9205.jpg (96.7 KB, 565 views)
IMG_0743-1.jpg (99.1 KB, 554 views)

Last edited by 2cam16; 10-05-16 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 07:40 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 116 Posts
Found my new bar bike, old Atala city bike.

Patina

The big shift

Dork disc needs to go
Old 10-06-16, 07:45 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 790 Posts
Easy to find the shift lever if you're a little tipsy.
Old 10-07-16, 12:34 AM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Nice barcycle.
Old 10-07-16, 05:10 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
Found my new bar bike, old Atala city bike.

That should be great once you get rid of the cobwebs....
Old 10-07-16, 10:35 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great bar bike - 90% of the public would think, "too ugly to steal".
Just watch out for us C&V types - "wow, cool bike!"

Post pictures if you clean and update it!

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 10-07-16, 12:59 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 116 Posts
Will do, once I ride off the Cobb webs and shine the Patina.
Old 10-08-16, 04:57 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 608 Posts
Two bikes, a few wheels, and some parts today. All free. lol
Old 10-08-16, 09:12 PM
blart

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Terrible shot but for 10$ I got what appears to be a ~1980 Nishiki International. I figured I was up due to the bar end shifters but the drivetrain is also 100% suntour cyclone:

Old 10-09-16, 11:11 AM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Hello all. Here is my catch of the day. Been sitting on it for close to 20 years. Bought it for $40 out of a barn where I was doing some work.
I believe it to be a 1971-ish PX10. Yes I have the crank, pedals & front derailleur. I truly hope to get it into like new condition ...I will need help!

Old 10-09-16, 03:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
got a bike for $50 yesterday. was shopping, ideally, for something newer, that costs 5 times more than that (used) but maybe I'll ride this as is for a while. this is a Schwinn Crisscross

Old 10-10-16, 08:06 AM
guzziee

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
couple of weekend flea market finds:

Old 10-10-16, 11:08 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 790 Posts
1960s Dawes Galaxy from Craigslist. Not 100% sure I'll keep it, but I'm beginning to lean that way. The seatpost came out without any problem, which is always a good sign. I don't think the fork is bent. The appearance is just a side effect of the angle and bad background. It looks straight with a more direct view.

Dawes Galaxy by smontanaro, on Flickr
Old 10-10-16, 03:01 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
1960s Dawes Galaxy from Craigslist. Not 100% sure I'll keep it, but I'm beginning to lean that way. The seatpost came out without any problem, which is always a good sign. I don't think the fork is bent. The appearance is just a side effect of the angle and bad background. It looks straight with a more direct view.

Dawes Galaxy by smontanaro, on Flickr
I vote for keeping it, or at least showing us when you're done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.