Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What motivates you to ride?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What motivates you to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 02:55 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharpshin
I only live two miles from the school where I've worked for 25 years, so even when I DID ride a bike I couldn't really call it "commuting", hardly broke a sweat, hardly had to worry about bike maintenance; even a creaky, poorly shifting bike would do just fine.

A year ago I told my wife I was going to ride my bike to New York over the following summer. Seemed like lunacy; 2,000 miles at least. To prep I started taking longer detours to work... seven miles one way at first, then ten, then twelve, finally started to limit out time-wise at eighteen and twenty five miles one way. Longer miles also meant having a good-running bike was important, so I began to learn about bike maintenance and refurbishing the fine old bikes I had.

Here's my victory photo from late July, 33 days and 2,000 miles from home....

At 57, I discovered I still had athletic abilities I had no idea I had, and feel MUCH better on days when I ride. So now its part of my lifestyle, for as long as I still can.

Mike
↑↑↑ Amazing narrative, amazing picture - - Thanks for posting ↑↑↑ ♪♫♪♫
Old 09-16-14, 05:44 PM
Sharpshin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
↑↑↑ Amazing narrative, amazing picture - - Thanks for posting ↑↑↑ ♪♫♪♫
Wait, it gets better My many nephews up there knew I was coming, but didn't know HOW I was coming. When I showed up nonchalantly on my bike I became Coolest Uncle FOREVER

To access my tour blog google on...... Nothing Hard is Ever Easy: A Bicycle Tour Attempt

(disregard the crazyguyonabike hits, I ain't updated that yet, go to the 24hourcampfire one)

disclaimer ..it IS on a Redneck hunting and fishing site, and all the views expressed therein are not necessarily my own.

Last edited by Sharpshin; 09-16-14 at 05:47 PM.