Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

$*&@% security guards...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

$*&@% security guards...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 08:40 PM
BianchiDave

Bikes: 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires / 1996 LeMond Alpe d'Huez / 2009 Scott Scale 60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I would love to actually see the OSHA regulation they are claiming prohibits bikes from a building. Please provide the reg - 29CFR_____.

Maybe your bike is the single $30,000.00 bike made out of beryllium and that is the issue.
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/beryllium/b...e_disease.html

Otherwise, if they are simply talking about emergency exit issues, then they need to ban all movable objects such as chairs, boxes of books, carts, etc. that also might end up being stored in emergency exit areas.
Oh Mr. Navy it’s been awhile. You see most places of business have personnel hired to walk around and find potential safety hazards that could cause an injury to customers or workers; they are usually called “Safety.” There job assigned by the Directors, Commanders, CEO’s and so on are primarily to pass all OSHA, JACO and local Fire Marshal inspections.
Security guards are not these people. A security guards job is only to report incidences and deter criminal activity by physical presence.
Businesses use guards to enforce policies though out their complex because of availability (they walk around and can observe things.) unfortunately some guards like to pretend their law enforcement officers rather than staying in their pay grade and simply talking to the area supervisor.

Security guards are also not protected from civil lawsuits like us police officers are. So they dawn a uniform and people assume they are there for physical protection but that couldn’t be more wrong.

So back to your original question “Please provide the reg - 29CFR_____.”
An exit access must be at least 28 inches (71.1 cm) wide at all points. Where there is only one exit access leading to an exit or exit discharge, the width of the exit and exit discharge must be at least equal to the width of the exit access.
1910.36(g)(4)
Objects that project into the exit route must not reduce the width of the exit route to less than the minimum width requirements for exit routes.

Last edited by BianchiDave; 06-26-10 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 11:24 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BianchiDave
1910.36(g)(2)
An exit access must be at least 28 inches (71.1 cm) wide at all points. Where there is only one exit access leading to an exit or exit discharge, the width of the exit and exit discharge must be at least equal to the width of the exit access.
1910.36(g)(4)
Objects that project into the exit route must not reduce the width of the exit route to less than the minimum width requirements for exit routes.
Says nothing at all about what you may bring into the building, only that it can't block or restrict an exit....

how about the one that says you can't bring a bike in the building? Where's that one? I'm sure EVERYONE would be interested since OSHA rules apply to all workplaces and I'm sure all the places that DO allow bikes in would like to know what rule they are in violation of before they get fined for it!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-26-10, 01:00 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Oh Mr. Navy it’s been awhile. You see most places of business have personnel hired to walk around and find potential safety hazards that could cause an injury to customers or workers; they are usually called “Safety.” There job assigned by the Directors, Commanders, CEO’s and so on are primarily to pass all OSHA, JACO and local Fire Marshal inspections.
Security guards are not these people. A security guards job is only to report incidences and deter criminal activity by physical presence.
Businesses use guards to enforce policies though out their complex because of availability (they walk around and can observe things.) unfortunately some guards like to pretend their law enforcement officers rather than staying in their pay grade and simply talking to the area supervisor.

Security guards are also not protected from civil lawsuits like us police officers are. So they dawn a uniform and people assume they are there for physical protection but that couldn’t be more wrong.

So back to your original question “Please provide the reg - 29CFR_____.”
1910.36(g)(2)
1910.36(g)(4)
I have seen many violations of 29CFR1910.36(g)(2) and 29CFR1910.36(g)(4), none of which involved a bicycle.
Old 06-26-10, 02:19 PM
BianchiDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen many violations of 29CFR1910.36(g)(2) and 29CFR1910.36(g)(4), none of which involved a bicycle.
Your right nowhere does it say bikes but I never said it did. Where I work “Safety personnel” had made a policy “no bicycles” allowed in any buildings, stating it could cause a potential trip hazard during an emergency such as a fire evacuation. Again that is my local policy.
“ Objects that project into the exit route must not reduce the width of the exit route to less than the minimum width requirements for exit routes”
Objects, I don’t know maybe such as a bicycle???

For an actually citation if someone would violate this would not fall on the owner of the Bike but would go to the owner of the building for not insuring the minimum width requirements were being followed. Of course there would be a process here before something like that would happen. A warning would be first with a re-inspection date set and so on.

Now would I ever enforce such a policy, no because it’s not my job, it is an administrative issue not criminal issue.

When I made the joke about being the policy enforcer it was just that, a joke. Could I get in trouble for choosing to park my bike in my office, yes I could but it would be with my supervisors not with the law.
When I park my personal bike in the morning I park it where my police bike goes
Old 06-26-10, 02:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Objects, I don’t know maybe such as a chair???

So I assume your facility also bans chairs?
Old 06-26-10, 03:45 PM
BianchiDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Objects, I don’t know maybe such as a chair???

So I assume your facility also bans chairs?
Old 06-27-10, 11:44 AM
PaulRivers

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Your right nowhere does it say bikes but I never said it did. Where I work “Safety personnel” had made a policy “no bicycles” allowed in any buildings, stating it could cause a potential trip hazard during an emergency such as a fire evacuation. Again that is my local policy.
“ Objects that project into the exit route must not reduce the width of the exit route to less than the minimum width requirements for exit routes”
Objects, I don’t know maybe such as a bicycle???
What you originally said was -
Originally Posted by BianchiDave;
I park my bike in my office and the building does have a policy on “no bikes in the building” but I am the policy enforcer.
The reason the policy is in place for us is due to a safety issue, set by OSHA...

Most of us are smart enough to park a bike off into a corner of a room but laws / rules and safety concerns are not written for us but written for the select few who do stupid things that creates hazards, such as a bike in an office space which blocks a fire escape or causes a trip hazard in darkness or causing issues for wheelchairs."
The guy may have been rather nitpicking what you were saying, I think his point was that although the people creating policy claiming "it's because of a safety issue set by OSHA", the reality seems to be that OSHA doesn't say anything about bicycles, and that "stating it could cause a potential trip hazard during an emergency such as a fire evacuation" makes as much sense as banning chairs, which also might provide a trip hazard during an emergency.

Bicycles aren't banned because of OSHA, they're arbitrarily banned because they aren't seen as being important for transportation, or for you to do your, like a car or a chair is, and since they're seen as unimportant they're arbitrarily added to the ban list.
Old 06-27-10, 05:11 PM
elihu23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All this has me quite grateful that I have it so good. I live in NYC and the City Council recently passed a "Bikes In Buildings" law. A cyclist may file a formal request thru NYC DOT and the building mgmt must then either comply or request an exemption and provide alternate parking or prove a special security danger exists. The law does not apply to residential buildings or commercial buildings without a freight elevator. I am able to bring my bike into the building via the freight entrance/elevator. Security enforces the policy by sending bike commuters through the freight entrance.

I am not a security guard, though my work is security related. I work for government, the public. Security guards work for private interests--they protect property. In buildings they attempt to create a secure perimeter, which protects the owner from liability. Nothing is perfect.
Old 06-28-10, 01:16 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I went through this at my campus. We were told, in a memo from facilities administration, that having bicycles in the building was a hazard and against the fire code. So I wrote the fire department and they said that bicycles were not a hazard as long as they weren't parked blocking an exit and got the fire inspector to say, in writing, that my bicycle parked in my office was not a fire hazard. So they had to retract their claim that it was a fire hazard and then they invented the "tripping hazard" line, and so it goes. I'm giving them real grief because sustainability is part of the strategic plan including encouraging bicycling. I'm now on a University committee that is looking at the facilities budget for ways to cut costs. I'm pushing for cutting some positions in facilities administration.
Old 06-28-10, 07:17 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When did parking a bicycle in YOUR office become a tripping hazard to anyone?? heh unless you have a high traffic office and students like walking all around it.
Old 06-28-10, 09:01 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Azreal911
When did parking a bicycle in YOUR office become a tripping hazard to anyone?? heh unless you have a high traffic office and students like walking all around it.
I suspect that facilities managers assume that most people who bicycle for transportation do not have their own private office. After all, if the employee had a job nice enough to provide a spacious private office, they could afford a car, right? They didn't count on affluent professionals bicycling to work on bikes more valuable than their office computers.

But let's consider those employees who don't have an office with space to spare. Is it fair that they can't bring their bikes inside? No, it's not, but businesses aren't expected to give everybody the same perks. A thoughtful and compassionate manager could set aside alternative safe locations for such employees to park inside. If there were enough such employees, however, there should be adequate demand for improved outdoor parking, ideally with space protected from the rain. If my own building's bike rack were located against the building under a roof or balcony overhang, I would park there. But since the rack is across the parking lot with full exposure to rain and sun, I do the elitist thing and park in my office. My bike deserves to be spoiled.
Old 07-05-10, 04:51 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I suspect that facilities managers assume that most people who bicycle for transportation do not have their own private office. After all, if the employee had a job nice enough to provide a spacious private office, they could afford a car, right? They didn't count on affluent professionals bicycling to work on bikes more valuable than their office computers.
Right, but it's a sign of how enormous of assclowns they are that they don't simply take the affluent professional's word for it and relax. It's part of the slow corruption of authority in this country; it's no longer the case that people view grants of authority as a set of responsibilities associated with those served. You're just supposed to shut up or get harassed and (if possible) tased.

It's pushing people around for the sake of pushing people around. A bad sickness in the head.
Old 07-05-10, 06:24 PM
fredgarvin7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"We have a lady lawyer, who to put it nicely is more than a small pain in the behind, because she has a major OCD issue. She's been complaining that someone's been moving the couch in her office. Not across the room, but just like an inch or so, almost daily."

My Dad shared an office with a guy who got upset every time he picked up his phone and it was in the cradle the "wrong way". My Dad found this so entertaining that he arrived 5 minutes before Mr OCD evey morning JUST so he could turn the receiver around. He only did this for 10 years. I love it when people carry around their own built-in torture chamber. EVERY perfectionist DOES!
Old 07-06-10, 06:27 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fredgarvin7
My Dad shared an office with a guy who got upset every time he picked up his phone and it was in the cradle the "wrong way". My Dad found this so entertaining that he arrived 5 minutes before Mr OCD evey morning JUST so he could turn the receiver around. He only did this for 10 years. I love it when people carry around their own built-in torture chamber. EVERY perfectionist DOES!
That's why I've learned to stop complaining about things that bother me. If people don't know, they don't intentionally repeat them. As you illustrated, people can be jerks because they think it's funny or they don't know any better. Kind of reminds me of how people behave in a car towards bicycles.
Old 07-06-10, 06:46 AM
Aussie_Al

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elihu23
All this has me quite grateful that I have it so good. I live in NYC and the City Council recently passed a "Bikes In Buildings" law. A cyclist may file a formal request thru NYC DOT and the building mgmt must then either comply or request an exemption and provide alternate parking or prove a special security danger exists. The law does not apply to residential buildings or commercial buildings without a freight elevator. I am able to bring my bike into the building via the freight entrance/elevator. Security enforces the policy by sending bike commuters through the freight entrance.
Good to know - thanks for the heads up!