Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did you ever dream you would spend $1K to $10K + on a bike(s)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did you ever dream you would spend $1K to $10K + on a bike(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-15, 10:37 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
John Gotti. 'nuff said.

Only if you want to be taken seriously by shallow, superficial people.

If I show up to a group ride on a BikesDirect bike in off-brand shorts and a wicking t-shirt I got for $8 at Wal-Mart, only the really decent people will take me seriously---but if I keep up with the group ride on my BikesDirect bike and low-cost kit, only the real buttholes will not take me seriously, ans seriously, who cares about them?

I tend to wear clothes I bought as returned/overstock/closeout clearance sales online, preferably with minimal branding because I don't like to give away advertising, and all my bikes together probably cost less than just one set of wheels that the "serious" riders use. That's okay; I am not there to make a fashion statement.

"Dress for Success"? "Success" for me is enjoying the ride, and I can do that in gym shorts and sneakers---or cut-offs and a dirty t-shirt.

And anyone who would withhold judgement on my character and content as a human being, until they rode with my twice and saw me wear different kit ... and what if I have two identical jerseys? (I do.)

Here's an inconvenient truth: Perception is Not Reality. That's how people get hit by cars they didn't see, or wipe out on road furniture they didn't "perceive" and thus make "real." "Perception is Reality" is something advertisers want us to believe---so they can get more of our money for crap we don't really need.

Look, I don't look down on a guy who shows up to a ride in full world-tour team kit down to the socks; I don't look down to fat guys on $10,000 bikes. Why should I care if other people do look down on me because I spent my money elsewhere? When one judges, one also judges oneself.

Really, people think they ride better based on how much they spent on their jerseys? Chacun a son gout.
+1. Thank you! You saved me the effort of typing just about exactly this post. BTW, I understand the concept about dressing well for business - but in a business environment, either a customer or a manager is going to be giving me money that they are responsible for, and I and my representations would need to look and act like I'm deserving of those funds. This has nothing whatsoever to do with me and my cycling workout.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 11-29-15 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-29-15, 11:24 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
Most people don't look down on someone that wears old clothes cycling. The point is most posters here take pride in their bikes and gear. That's why there are so many threads on bike wax, cleaning drive trains, paint colors, bar tape, helmets, tire colors, etc. Cycling is something we like and overall appearances is important to many. Going back to the point of this thread, it's unusual to wear old faded jerseys with holes on a $5,000 bike
Old 11-29-15, 01:20 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
John Gotti. 'nuff said.

Only if you want to be taken seriously by shallow, superficial people.

If I show up to a group ride on a BikesDirect bike in off-brand shorts and a wicking t-shirt I got for $8 at Wal-Mart, only the really decent people will take me seriously---but if I keep up with the group ride on my BikesDirect bike and low-cost kit, only the real buttholes will not take me seriously, ans seriously, who cares about them?

I tend to wear clothes I bought as returned/overstock/closeout clearance sales online, preferably with minimal branding because I don't like to give away advertising, and all my bikes together probably cost less than just one set of wheels that the "serious" riders use. That's okay; I am not there to make a fashion statement.

"Dress for Success"? "Success" for me is enjoying the ride, and I can do that in gym shorts and sneakers---or cut-offs and a dirty t-shirt.

And anyone who would withhold judgement on my character and content as a human being, until they rode with my twice and saw me wear different kit ... and what if I have two identical jerseys? (I do.)

Here's an inconvenient truth: Perception is Not Reality. That's how people get hit by cars they didn't see, or wipe out on road furniture they didn't "perceive" and thus make "real." "Perception is Reality" is something advertisers want us to believe---so they can get more of our money for crap we don't really need.

Look, I don't look down on a guy who shows up to a ride in full world-tour team kit down to the socks; I don't look down to fat guys on $10,000 bikes. Why should I care if other people do look down on me because I spent my money elsewhere? When one judges, one also judges oneself.

Really, people think they ride better based on how much they spent on their jerseys? Chacun a son gout.
Some thoughts on this:

People can chose to dress carefully or carelessly. Typically, they dress carefully for the things and activities they care about, and they dress carelessly for things they think are unimportant, dirty (in a good way), or unworthy of attention.

Everything we do sends a signal; our actions are inevitably perceived and interpreted. We rely on such signs and signals, and we don't get to chose which signals people perceive or interpret, or which ones they ignore.

So a person sees a cyclist in cheap, worn out, dirty clothes and thinks one thing, then goes for a couple of rides with that cyclist and begins to think something else of him or her. That change in opinion only occurs because there was more to perceive, not less, and it was not due to ignoring anything that was ever perceived.

What do we know of reality that we do not perceive, or that is not based on prior perceptions? Nothing.
Old 11-29-15, 01:35 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
I don't get all this check with the spouse bull****. Bills get paid, retirement account is managed, I buy what I want and so does she.
I should think a marriage is more than just a couple of intimate roommates (where, like you say, as long as the bills get paid, it's none of the other's business where disposable income goes), but I guess with such things as buying a bicycle or not, it's kind of like "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." For many, buying a $10,000 bicycle (or even a $1,000 bicycle) would have a family-lifestyle impact - even if current bills could still be paid; for others, not so much. ("So much for that trip to St. Barths we wanted to make this year!")
Old 11-29-15, 01:44 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
The short answer to to OP's question is yes I did think I would. From my early cycling days as a teen in the 70's, I knew I'd eventually have a higher end bike.

I don't have a 10k bike, nor do I want one, but my new #1 roadie is more than nice enough for me. What my wife doesn't know yet is I still plan on getting one of those full on Italian steel stalions when I retire that I dreamed about when I was much younger.
Old 11-29-15, 02:02 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Is anyone talking about bikes anymore? I've spent as much as $1165 on a new 2004 Specialized Sequoia Elite. It was my favorite bike and the best bike I'd ever owned. The frame developed a crack and Specialized and the LBS replaced the old frameset with a 2014 Secteur Elite frameset. I'm guessing it'll be even nicer when I'm finished with it.

Short of winning a very large lottery, I doubt I would ever buy a single $10,000 bike. Lets say I were to win a $10,000 shopping spree and could only spend that money on bikes and/or cycling related gear. I would rather buy five $2,000 bikes or six $1,500 bikes and some extra wheels as opposed to a single $10,000 bike. I just don't see the point. Plus I enjoy having a lot of variety. Not everyone feels the same way.

To each one zone.
Old 11-29-15, 02:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I should think a marriage is more than just a couple of intimate roommates (where, like you say, as long as the bills get paid, it's none of the other's business where disposable income goes), but I guess with such things as buying a bicycle or not, it's kind of like "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." For many, buying a $10,000 bicycle (or even a $1,000 bicycle) would have a family-lifestyle impact - even if current bills could still be paid; for others, not so much. ("So much for that trip to St. Barths we wanted to make this year!")
Give me a break, there's more than one adult way to manage finances. Frankly, the status quo of 100% grouped funds probably contributes a significant amount of the financial stress that's responsible for a good chunk of divorces. My wife and I have always had both pooled and individual money - we don't just drop all of our money in to the same account, we drop X amount in to the common funds and the rest goes in to our individual accounts. My wife doesn't really want to know how much I spend on a bike or a lens or coffee grinder, etc, but at the same time, she really doesn't care if it comes out of individual rather than common funds. If you want to disparage that as an "intimate roommates," type of relationship, go right ahead, but I think that it's a more mature and healthy way for couples and families to work towards common goals while still maintaining some independence and individuality.
Old 11-29-15, 02:43 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol...How about intimate roommates who've decided to contractually entwine their responsibility regarding each other's well being?

Marriage isn't special. People are.

Sure, there has to be a balance unless you're absolutely flushed...In short communication is everything.

It's not "none of the other's business," as much as it's the household is being supported presently and for the future as mutually agreed upon, and everything else is gravy. So...sure, gravy needs to be understood and agreed upon. Raiding the accounts isn't a good idea. I find that those who seriously profess having to sneak one by the spouse are uncomfortably close to or already on the ropes financially therefore not acting in good marital faith.

Then again I hear all sorts of crap from others who paint a picture whereby they're living in thralldom where every decision is suspect therefore subject to approving spousal authority.

That's not the way to live unless you're a child. A lot of folks have those sort of relationships. A friend comes to mind, in the legal profession, plenty of dough, Lord forbid he doesn't check with his spouse on anything first whether it's a purchase, hanging out, hanging out later than initially intended, etc.. That stuff.
Old 11-29-15, 02:55 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Quite the revealing thread. I've been cycling for 45 years. Even when into racing I was doing it on a budget. I buy used bikes, rarely over $150, rebuild them, and ride them. It's all about the ride to me.

Clothing, I buy a lot of used stuff there as well. Yes, even used shorts. But I am stunned by the number of cyclists I see these days. Expensive bike, expensive clothes, shoes that cost more than my bikes. Cycling has always meant a "dirty" sport to me. You sweat, pick up road crap, oily parts and chain. Why would I dress in expensive clothes for such an activity. At one time all my shorts and jerseys had mends on them from falls and the like.

Heck, I paid $2200 for my car a few years ago. Wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on a bike.
For those reacting to BC, I have met him, seen his bike, and have seen him ride. Although he does not spend a lot, his bike is pristine, he is perfectly presentable, and he can certainly ride a bike.
Old 11-29-15, 03:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,715 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Give me a break, there's more than one adult way to manage finances ... My wife and I have always had both pooled and individual money - we don't just drop all of our money in to the same account, we drop X amount in to the common funds and the rest goes in to our individual accounts.
Same way my wife and I do it pretty much. Still, If I am going to drop a significant portion of my personal account on something really big I like to let her know and work it out so she accepts it. Otherwise, I just say, "Tough" and tough it out until she comes around, but who wants to do that to someone you care about unless it is really important to you?

My wife can be reasonable and can be reasoned with (at times) so why would I resort to being unreasonable?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
My wife doesn't really want to know how much I spend on a bike or a lens ...
Yeah lenses .... photo gear in general ... And she usually doesn't care which account I draw from ... because she Knows that if the joint account is low and she needs something, I will help. She knows I am not selfish or stupid as a rule, but pretty much everyone knows what Gear Acquisition Syndrome (or Shoe Acquisition Syndrome) can do to a person's reasoning abilities in the short term ...

So I don't bother to tell he if I am dropping small money but if it is going to be big, I want her to not be surprised, and not have too many unpleasant worries over my spending.

It's not really about the numbers; we have enough household income that we aren't in any danger. It is more courtesy and making her feel included.

Of course you know all that because you are still married, and (at least judging from your posts) you are far from stupid.

As I see it couples who split up over money aren't fighting over money; they are fighting over stress, selfishness, bad management, shortsightedness ... probably people who simply aren't mature enough to be married, or are too inflexible to adapt.

Back to bikes ... Right now I have "permission" to buy a fairly expensive bike. Because I know my wife, I keep bringing it up obliquely because I know that even if she says "No problem" she will still think it outrageous when she sees the big box at the door (to her, spending a lot on a bike is stupid.) I am taking my time shopping, and I might decide not to even buy another bike ... her "permission" isn't the deciding factor.

However, I also know if I buy a costly bike (or frame and components) and then I break a camera or something and need a couple grand from our joint account it will be a lot less stressful for the both of us if she has been eased into the idea that buying an expensive bike is a reasonable idea.

As far as "independence and individuality" ... I am an independent individual voluntarily teaming up with another independent individual. Independence and individuality are at the core of my being, and are never in question, regardless of whether I buy a bike or how much I spend.

Unfiltered Dregs has an interesting point there. I cannot say "It's none of your business" because so long as we are a team, everything each of us does affects the other. I can say, "This is what I am going to do whether you like it or not," and that of course has repercussions both positive and negative. But ... if I can find a way to say that over a span of time and without the bluntness, I create a lot less stress for both of us.

Maybe there are people who really cannot act independently of their spouses ... or perhaps they have evolved a decision-making and opinion-influencing style which on the surface seems to give undue regard to the other. Politics is a large part of interpersonal interaction ... knowing how to "spin' things can steer one safely past a lot of potentially dangerous shoals and still leave one at the desired destination.

Last edited by Maelochs; 11-29-15 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 07:36 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
In 1991 I bought a Cannondale SR600. If I recall it cost a little less than $2000. Two years later I bought a new Trek 8000 MTB for $1000. Fully rigid of course. Quarter of a century later and that's still my price range.
I remember dropping around $600 on my GT Karakoram mtb in 1994. I then spent another $600 for the suspension. It seemed crazy back then but the time spent on it made it a great investment. I still have it to this day. All hobbies are expensive it is just that this one makes you spend the bulk up front. Fishing, hunting, golf, and tennis are probably some of the most popular sports for adults.nthey are all far more expensive.
Old 11-29-15, 07:56 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some thoughts on this:

People can chose to dress carefully or carelessly. Typically, they dress carefully for the things and activities they care about, and they dress carelessly for things they think are unimportant, dirty (in a good way), or unworthy of attention.

Everything we do sends a signal; our actions are inevitably perceived and interpreted. We rely on such signs and signals, and we don't get to chose which signals people perceive or interpret, or which ones they ignore.

So a person sees a cyclist in cheap, worn out, dirty clothes and thinks one thing, then goes for a couple of rides with that cyclist and begins to think something else of him or her. That change in opinion only occurs because there was more to perceive, not less, and it was not due to ignoring anything that was ever perceived.

What do we know of reality that we do not perceive, or that is not based on prior perceptions? Nothing.
Sure, people can judge anyone on their appearance. That doesn't mean that I need to care in the slightest about those judgments that they are making. I bicycle strictly for my own personal edification and health and conditioning. I'm long passed trying to impress anyone with it.
Old 11-29-15, 08:05 PM
borgey007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I never thought I would spend thousands on a bike.

But I just purchased my second road bike (Diverge Expert carbon) after many years of not riding. My first road bike in the late 70's cost $120 CAN. The new Diverge costs $5000 CAN, but I will be finally spending about $7000 CAN (purchasing carbon wheels, a dropper post) and some think I'm nuts!

The way I see things, everyone has different priorities.
I never bought a house and have no intention to do so, and my car is 17 years old... in contrast to most of my friends, family members.

Last edited by borgey007; 11-29-15 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
In cycling if you want to be taken seriously by others in the sport you need to look like your are serious.
I really don't give a damn about being taken seriously by other cyclists. I just want to ride my bike up and down mountains.
Old 11-30-15, 09:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

I don't dress at all for the activity I care most about.
Old 11-30-15, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't dress at all for the activity I care most about.
Manscaping counts.
Old 11-30-15, 11:48 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My last two hobbies were incredibly expensive. I spent a small fortune on a decade of SCCA road racing despite my efforts to keep a budget. I also spent a ton of money on motorcycles and motorcycle accessories.

My bike is much cheaper. Gear is cheaper. I can ride without paying entry fees or paying for insurance. And I'm getting a ton of exercise for free!
Old 11-30-15, 12:06 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
So yeah, I'm going to go ahead and go against one of my own pet peeves by commenting after not reading the entire thread, but:

Why is everyone taking how little they care so seriously? This happens every time cost/benefit ratio comes up. I've never met a single person on a multi-thousand dollar bike that would snub their nose at a serious rider on a 2 or 300 dollar CL special as long as they can ride. In fact, I personally envy most of you because it makes me high maintenance when I do a build. But every time it comes up, There are several in the "Well, I could care less what they think about me!" chorus. You say you don't take it seriously, but then you go to great lengths and make it your mission to let it be known. If you REALLY didn't care, you wouldn't have bothered posting about how much you don't care about all those meanies on expensive bikes.
Old 11-30-15, 01:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,715 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
If you REALLY didn't care, you wouldn't have bothered posting about how much you don't care about all those meanies on expensive bikes.
Never said anything about caring what people with expensive bikes think. I said I am over caring about what superficial people think, after reading that those people wouldn't think much of me because of the way I dress.

Are you suggesting that I really want to spend $55 instead of $15 on a jersey? Fact is, I wear what I want and I ride what I want and I try to live in whatever fashion I think is best, and I am pretty used to people disagreeing with me and have learned to plot a course with care and follow it with courage.

I don't even care if you don't think I ride well.

Basic idea is simple: people who are eager to form negative judgments will, and people with open minds will gather more information. I don't pay much attention to people who enjoy passing down negative judgments based on superficial information because a lot of time what is involved is those people’s insecurities and prejudices, and there isn’t much I can learn to improve myself based on that.

People with open minds can disagree, and usually I try to listen because sometimes they can see my blind spots.

So ... what was that ill-informed, superficial judgment you just made? Oh, I feel bad because someone with an expensive bike looked down at my ride? Not sure that has ever happened ... but pretty sure I wouldn’t pay attention.

But then ... I am not a Serious Rider. Oops my bad. You weren't talking about me at all.

I am just some guy who loves to ride his bike. Who needs 'em?
Old 11-30-15, 02:09 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Never said anything about caring what people with expensive bikes think. I said I am over caring about what superficial people think, after reading that those people wouldn't think much of me because of the way I dress.

Are you suggesting that I really want to spend $55 instead of $15 on a jersey? Fact is, I wear what I want and I ride what I want and I try to live in whatever fashion I think is best, and I am pretty used to people disagreeing with me and have learned to plot a course with care and follow it with courage.

I don't even care if you don't think I ride well.

Basic idea is simple: people who are eager to form negative judgments will, and people with open minds will gather more information. I don't pay much attention to people who enjoy passing down negative judgments based on superficial information because a lot of time what is involved is those people’s insecurities and prejudices, and there isn’t much I can learn to improve myself based on that.

People with open minds can disagree, and usually I try to listen because sometimes they can see my blind spots.

So ... what was that ill-informed, superficial judgment you just made? Oh, I feel bad because someone with an expensive bike looked down at my ride? Not sure that has ever happened ... but pretty sure I wouldn’t pay attention.

But then ... I am not a Serious Rider. Oops my bad. You weren't talking about me at all.

I am just some guy who loves to ride his bike. Who needs 'em?
Sorry, still not caring about how much you don't care. It was an entertaining read, though. Thanks for that.
Old 11-30-15, 02:29 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I remember dropping around $600 on my GT Karakoram mtb in 1994. I then spent another $600 for the suspension. It seemed crazy back then but the time spent on it made it a great investment. I still have it to this day. All hobbies are expensive it is just that this one makes you spend the bulk up front. Fishing, hunting, golf, and tennis are probably some of the most popular sports for adults.nthey are all far more expensive.
I spent a good chunk of a summer's wages ($550) on a GT Tequesta MTB back in 1993. As a 13 year old, it seemed like a huge investment, and while not the best 'financial' investment in the strictest terms, it was a far better purchase than audio equipment or other 'toys' that most of my friends had interest in at the time. My sister now uses that bike though I plan to get it back some day. It still fits as I basically stopped growing around that time and it was a tiny bit big at the time.
Old 11-30-15, 03:22 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
So yeah, I'm going to go ahead and go against one of my own pet peeves by commenting after not reading the entire thread, but:

Why is everyone taking how little they care so seriously? This happens every time cost/benefit ratio comes up. I've never met a single person on a multi-thousand dollar bike that would snub their nose at a serious rider on a 2 or 300 dollar CL special as long as they can ride. In fact, I personally envy most of you because it makes me high maintenance when I do a build. But every time it comes up, There are several in the "Well, I could care less what they think about me!" chorus. You say you don't take it seriously, but then you go to great lengths and make it your mission to let it be known. If you REALLY didn't care, you wouldn't have bothered posting about how much you don't care about all those meanies on expensive bikes.
I don't care that you care that my level of caring is to the point that I will illogically post about how much I don't care indicating that I care a little, while claiming I really don't care..., because the reality is that I don't really care what other cyclists think of me even when I show up to a group ride. I do like spending money on bike stuff though, not because it impresses other people and not because it elevates my perceived status in some "sport," but because it's my one hobby and nice stuff is nice.
Old 11-30-15, 03:27 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by RJM
I don't care that you care that my level of caring is to the point that I will illogically post about how much I don't care indicating that I care a little, while claiming I really don't care..., because the reality is that I don't really care what other cyclists think of me even when I show up to a group ride. I do like spending money on bike stuff though, not because it impresses other people and not because it elevates my perceived status in some "sport," but because it's my one hobby and nice stuff is nice.
Old 12-01-15, 11:59 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I spent a good chunk of a summer's wages ($550) on a GT Tequesta MTB back in 1993. As a 13 year old, it seemed like a huge investment, and while not the best 'financial' investment in the strictest terms, it was a far better purchase than audio equipment or other 'toys' that most of my friends had interest in at the time. My sister now uses that bike though I plan to get it back some day. It still fits as I basically stopped growing around that time and it was a tiny bit big at the time.
It really is disappointing to see how GT has fallen since then. When Gary Turner was running things there back in the early 90's they were awesome bikes. I rode Specialized and Trek mtb's prior to that GT. They did not hold a candle to GT back then. When I got back into riding a few years ago, I was going to stay loyal to GT but it is really hard. I bought a new mtb about a year ago. I was tempted to go the GT route again but I could not pull the trigger. They just are not the same anymore. Pacific and etc. just killed them and their look. I am sure that they are still ok bikes but they do not get me excited anymore. They have lost their mojo.
Old 12-01-15, 12:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Beth told me "I don't want you running anymore. Get a new bike."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.