Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Father Son Cycling Tattoo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 04:05 AM
USMCRet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's this for irony? A full sleeve tattoo will disqualify you from enlisting in the USMC.
Old 03-21-13, 05:38 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmeisky
This thread is a riot. Thanks for the entertainment. Really. I consider collecting tattoos my main hobby and passion above all else (including bicycling). I travel the country to get work made by the best of the best. (I have an amazing job btw) ....
Have you looked into tattoo's from Japan? I am no expert, but I am led to believe they have some different styles. BTW, what job do you have? (I'll probably be envious and curse you, but all good! lol)
Old 03-21-13, 09:07 AM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is all slightly hypocritical coming from the group who pines for universal acceptance the most. I realize I'm no one in this circle and if this is general vibe than it might be better that way.
+1 Many posters in the thread have complained in other threads as being seen as the 'fat guy' when visiting local bike shops or group rides. Yet when they sense a common 'dislike' on a different kind of appearance, they jump into stomp on the OP. Ironic...

Last edited by JackoDandy; 03-21-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 11:16 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Yes, its interesting how we are informed in one post that people with tattoos never form negative opinions on those of us who lack ink, and in another post we are called "Puritans" and told to "get back in our time machines."
This is actually a valid point, referring to my earlier post...judgment abounds! I'd like to point out in my judgment, though, that I have zero (0) tattoos on my body. I just thought it was sad that this man was trying to commemorate the time spent with his son through something creative, and people jumped all over him for being a "bad parent". Provided that the OP's information was accurate about his son's behavior and grades, tell me how many people with kids on this forum wish their child would willingly spend time with them, much less outdoors doing something they both love?

Last edited by deeth82; 03-21-13 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 11:38 AM
melvinator

Bikes: 2012 Marin Larkspur CS Series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow this thread got really ugly really quick

"+1 Many posters in the thread have complained in other threads as being seen as the 'fat guy' when visiting local bike shops or group rides. Yet when they sense a common 'dislike' on a different kind of appearance, they jump into stomp on the OP. Ironic.."

i completely agree with this comment....

OP thanks for sharing what you thought was exciting news with us all...

"Provided that the OP's information was accurate about his son's behavior and grades, tell me how many people with kids on this forum wish their child would willingly spend time with them, much less outdoors doing something they both love?"

also agree witht he above comment .. my father has MS and is wheel chair bound, man what i would give to see my father be abel to hop on a bike with me since i was 4 never had the opportunity i am glad he did get that oppurtinity.

Hes 16 and this will either go two ways he will love it for ever or brag to his friends hes got a matching cycling tatoo with his father ... and in the chance he doesnt like it in the future he can either get it removed or learn from his mistakes ... anyway you look at it its positive ....
Old 03-21-13, 11:41 AM
deeth82
Dirty Schwinn-Lover

Bikes: '11 & '13 Schwinn Racers, Takara (Kent) Kabuto, '11 Gary Fisher (Trek) Marlin SS 29er, Schwinn Sanctuary Cruiser, '11 Schwinn Sid, Firmstrong Chief 3-spd, '10 Schwinn Corvette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by melvinator
He 16 and this will either go two ways he will love it for ever or brag to his friends hes got a matching cycling tatoo with his father ... and in the chance he doesnt like it in the future he can either get it removed or learn from his mistakes ... anyway you look at it its positive ....
I like the cut of your jib.
Old 03-21-13, 12:41 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... I also consider myself a completely 100% non judgemental person no matter what the issue. ...
I love these statements because they are so categorically untrue. We (meaning you, me, everyone) make judgments every time we encounter another person. Those judgments may be positive or negative, conscious or unconscious but we/you are making judgments. You cannot make choices without being judgmental. You're being judgmental when you accuse this group of being hypocritical. What's that? oh yeah, hypocritical.
Old 03-21-13, 07:37 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think when people say judgmental they are referring to making a judgment about the morality of something which is appears to be made with little empathy and made with little concern or knowledge of the facts. You can make judgments without being judgmental.
Old 03-22-13, 05:40 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
+1 Many posters in the thread have complained in other threads as being seen as the 'fat guy' when visiting local bike shops or group rides. Yet when they sense a common 'dislike' on a different kind of appearance, they jump into stomp on the OP. Ironic...
I think they "jumped" on the OP because he broke the law of his province, and persuaded his tattooist to do the same, in having a minor child inked. Some of the inked folks who bravely cover up their body art whenever they need to be taken seriously then began to argue that tattoos are universally accepted and people criticizing the OP are just a bunch of squares. At least fat people are open about their size.

Old 03-22-13, 05:52 AM
tmeisky

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker 700c w/ Tiagra Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I think when people say judgmental they are referring to making a judgment about the morality of something which is appears to be made with little empathy and made with little concern or knowledge of the facts. You can make judgments without being judgmental.

This. Im aware that the actual definition of judgemental doesn't account for positivity or negativity but I always viewed it in a strictly negative light. This is obviously my opinion and not fact. This thread seems to have spun slightly out of control as is seemingly often the case in these forums when a topic is brought up where a very distinct line in the sand is drawn. I just want to be happy, chubby, and "tall in the saddle" with like minded, positive people. Lets talk more about that stuff. Its much cooler than arguing about morality and "tats". *cringe*
Old 03-22-13, 06:05 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This. Im aware that the actual definition of judgemental doesn't account for positivity or negativity but I always viewed it in a strictly negative light. This is obviously my opinion and not fact. This thread seems to have spun slightly out of control as is seemingly often the case in these forums when a topic is brought up where a very distinct line in the sand is drawn. I just want to be happy, chubby, and "tall in the saddle" with like minded, positive people. Lets talk more about that stuff. Its much cooler than arguing about morality and "tats". *cringe*
Yes, we need to go riding together when my stamina is back. Closest I have to body art is the scar from my falling on my chain ring in 2008.

Old 03-22-13, 06:58 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This thread seems to have spun slightly out of control... <snip> Lets talk more about that stuff. Its much cooler than arguing about morality and "tats". *cringe*
VERY well said. By the rules of the forum, this thread should have been moved to FOO a long time ago. I think everyone who wanted to has stated their opinion. This thread is now closed.