Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 09:24 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Been coding a lot lately. Internal customer asked for a report of all the alarms our system got last year, so I whipped it up in Perl. Then someone else heard about that and wanted some other stuff added. So now I have 500 lines of thrown together Perl, and it's not done yet. So I started writing it in c#, since it would be faster and easier to maintain. So I got it partly working and it took 20 minutes. Yikes.

Ran the Perl and it was 10 minutes. Profiled it and optimized and got to 5 or 6 seconds. Still need to add more functionality and basically rewrite it to be good clean code and not hacked together.

Reading about c# regex tonight and realized I had the compile flag on about 10 regex that get called tens of thousands of times, and wasn't reusing the compiled bit, or even the object. I was recreating it all. Oops.

Might work on the c# after all tomorrow.
Old 04-05-16, 09:59 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Been coding a lot lately. Internal customer asked for a report of all the alarms our system got last year, so I whipped it up in Perl. Then someone else heard about that and wanted some other stuff added. So now I have 500 lines of thrown together Perl, and it's not done yet. So I started writing it in c#, since it would be faster and easier to maintain. So I got it partly working and it took 20 minutes. Yikes.

Ran the Perl and it was 10 minutes. Profiled it and optimized and got to 5 or 6 seconds. Still need to add more functionality and basically rewrite it to be good clean code and not hacked together.

Reading about c# regex tonight and realized I had the compile flag on about 10 regex that get called tens of thousands of times, and wasn't reusing the compiled bit, or even the object. I was recreating it all. Oops.

Might work on the c# after all tomorrow.
Crystal reports?
Old 04-06-16, 04:40 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I guess I should always consider outside programs before starting something. I imagine the overhead on that is too high and it'll be slow. We're gonna write a php front end for this so it's available on demand with a specific time frame, from within the "browser" that our users work in.
Old 04-06-16, 05:48 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will own it for the rest of your life.
Old 04-06-16, 10:45 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Job security.
Old 04-06-16, 10:51 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not that good.
Old 04-06-16, 10:53 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
If you need any advice with the php stuff that's my bread and butter language. Feel free to message me with questions if you have any issues, though I would suspect if you are comfortable in PERL and C# you'll be fine.
Old 04-07-16, 08:57 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Perl's regex engine is surprisingly optimized for a scripting language. I wrote all of my regex into a dll in C# so I pay no compile time penalty and they're still as fast as can be, and it takes 40 seconds to do what Perl does in 5. I'm guessing catastrophic backtracking on some lines.

An xkcd for your time.

Old 04-12-16, 09:28 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I'm developing a site in Laravel right now, and given that most of my work is WordPress this is a real treat. It's PHP done so right that it doesn't even feel like PHP anymore!
Old 04-12-16, 09:39 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A programmer had a problem. He decided to solve the problem using threads. problems he Now two has.
Old 04-12-16, 09:49 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently trying to figure out the most efficient way to query a Rest client where I need to do the requests asynchronously. First time I have ever coded anything like this.
Old 04-12-16, 10:16 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Any of you guys still work in Coldfusion?
Old 04-12-16, 10:48 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by globecanvas
A programmer had a problem. He decided to solve the problem using threads. problems he Now two has.
Is Yoda just a badly multithreaded AI?
Old 04-12-16, 12:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

New version of Windows takes 15 minutes to install. New version of Visual Studio 2013 takes 3 hours. I don't get it.

I'm excited to have profiling though. VS2010 didn't have it on the Professional version, only the two highest level ones. VS2013 has it on all though.
Old 04-12-16, 12:35 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Currently trying to figure out the most efficient way to query a Rest client where I need to do the requests asynchronously. First time I have ever coded anything like this.
Rest is asynchronous by nature.
Old 04-12-16, 12:36 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Any of you guys still work in Coldfusion?
My god that stuff is older than I am.
Old 04-12-16, 12:44 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[MENTION=137631]Flatballer[/MENTION]: we're getting fed up with VC13 here after a few years. The IDE is slick but editing can get ridiculously bogged down at times. From what I hear the newer version is not any better. Xcode sucks too. 20 years ago everybody wondered why there wasn't a universally decent text editor that everybody could adopt; it feels like we're at the same place now with code IDEs.

BTW AMD's free Code XL profiler is very good, and runs fine/usefully on Intel machines.
Old 04-12-16, 06:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Off the bat vs13 seems considerably slower than vs10 to me.

I might check that out. I can't make vs13 profiler do what I want. I have about 20 regex objects that get used in 20 different places, one each basically, thousands of times. I want to know which regex I should focus on optimizing first, which means I need to know which lines are taking the most time. But all I can get from it is that it spends 77% of its time in calls to system.regex. I knew that already, that's not helpful.

Nytprof for perl is free and awesome and easy to use, not sure why this is so hard.
Old 04-15-16, 05:55 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Oops. Guy accidentally deleted his entire company:

A man deleted his entire company with one line of code - Business Insider
Old 04-15-16, 06:06 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rm -rf / wouldn't execute without --no-preserve-root. I think the story is probably urban legend, as I've heard it various times over the past 20 years.
Old 04-15-16, 06:06 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Wow. That's impressive.
Old 04-15-16, 06:09 AM
Flatballer
No matches

rm -rf / wouldn't execute without --no-preserve-root. I think the story is probably urban legend, as I've heard it various times over the past 20 years.
You might be right. It does sound implausible. And I went on server fault and couldn't find it.
Old 04-15-16, 07:02 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends. However if he is logged in as root, directly or via sudo, his default directory is /root, not /. He would have to explicitly cd to / or put that in his script, which the article implies he didn't. I smell hype. The other thing is that rm does not traverse NFS mounted directories by default, you have to specify this explicitly. More hype. Sysadmin 101 states that you never force removes in scripts. It's such an easy command to type that it invites interaction. If he's doing this via cron then he should be shot. Finally, anyone managing a shared system without a proper backup procedure should be out of business. If your backup script uses NFS storage then standard practice is to mount it, backup the files, and unmount it as part of the script.

I bet the idiot is getting flooded with offers for consulting.
Old 04-15-16, 08:33 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I bet the idiot is getting flooded with offers for consulting.
I think it's an Asimov story but there is a guy who is super accident prone. Wherever he goes things break. He meets with some official who tells him they're not going to try and keep him locked up, they're just going to send him elsewhere to live. The "elsewhere" is apparently the country's (world's?) enemy. I think it was Mars. The idea was they would let this accident prone guy loose in a place they don't like.

In real life at a top 10 bank one of my former colleagues was joking around with another former colleague. One was spamming the other with emails, constantly sending emails. So the second guy set up a script to send 5 emails back to the guy for every email he got. The first guy was like "oh yeah?" and set up a script to reply 5 times every time the second guy emailed him.

1 joke email sent
5 sent back
25 sent back
125 sent back
625 sent back
3250 sent back
15125 sent back
78125 sent back
etc.

As fast as an international bank's email servers could push out the emails.

The email system absolutely crashed. The bank used Lotus Notes so it also meant no access to documents, projects, etc.

The colleague sitting at the client office (the bank) got fired, per request of the bank. The other guy eventually got hired by said bank.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-17-16, 05:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
If you need any advice with the php stuff that's my bread and butter language. Feel free to message me with questions if you have any issues, though I would suspect if you are comfortable in PERL and C# you'll be fine.
What's a good place to start learning PHP ..."for dummies" ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.