Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will my bike always be a "beginners bike"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will my bike always be a "beginners bike"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 04:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
You seem to have misunderstood. I get mad because people like you who ride $1000+ bicycles have the gall to point at someone spending 10 grand and call them a fat cat without a hint of irony. If you can afford the time, energy and money to participate in this hobby, you are a fat cat on a global scale. There are tons of people who would kill for a $300 walmart bike. The line people like you draw is "spent more, rides less than me", which is not only arbitrary, it's also mind-blowingly self-absorbed.

Also: you can see what bike I ride. Not one person has ever accused me of having "too much bike".
So it is the number of rides you take per year that's causing this irrational rage?

You sure seem to know a lot about me and my attitude and what I pay for my bikes, but no my line is not ride less than me. I ride too much for that to be reasonable. My line is barely rides at all but pays 5 figures for a bike. That person is clearly only doing it to portray themselves as a fat cat and made their purchase decision accordingly. Sorry if my taking them up on it offends your sense of whatever that is I'm supposed to be offending.

Five figure bikes are not just expensive, finding and purchasing one usually takes a bit of effort. Yes, I think that's intentionally conspicuous consumption if you aren't planning on putting it to much if any use.

This is the first time I've ever seen someone take the position it's not ok to laugh at a fool and his money because there are starving kids in.... Hilarious.

Does a hint of irony improve the taste of gall? Sign me up for your cooking blog!
Old 05-08-21, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by guachi
I doubt anyone spends $20,000 (or even $10,000 or $2,000) on a bike (especially if it's their only bike) with the intent of only riding once a month. If someone actually uses the thing they bought then its of value. I thought I was overspending on my TV but it's awesome and it's on a lot and its quality makes watching it more enjoyable. On the other hand, I have Lego sets that cost 1/20th what my AV system cost that I haven't put together yet so their value to me so far is basically zero.

If I constantly see you uploading rides to Strava then the cost of your bike is of no real concern to me. Well, if it's expensive I want to see pictures of all the bling.

In non-pandemic times, it's relatively easy to obtain a $2000 bike doing minimal shopping. There's a lot of stores where that's the bulk of their stock. I think there's a fair number of people who buy a $2000 bike thinking it's going to motivate them to ride, and then it doesn't. I don't laugh at those people, motivating ourselves is often hard to get right.

Someone who doesn't know or care much about bikes had to tell someone they wanted the most expensive bike they could get in order to pay five figures. You're right, it's probably not a common scenario, but it's the one irrationally angry guy posted.
Old 05-08-21, 01:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In your case, it's not like your bike is an unused wall hanging. I would say it's a pretty good bet that someone who wasted $15k on a bike he barely rode is either completely nuts or rich (or both).
I'm under 50¢ per mile.

The owner of the LBS once told me a guy from South Hampton dropped in and needed a bike as a prop for a fund raiser he was hosting. He walked around the shop and like the Cervelo P5X they had on display. It had Zipp 454 and Ceramic Speed OSP, when he was told it's $15,000 he pulled out his credit card, loaded it in his Lambo SUV and took it home. No fit, no adjustments and he never came back.

The bike was a 52cm and the guy was 6'1".

I'm sure it's sitting in a garage and was never ridden.

Customer was happy, dealer was happy so it was a win/win in the end.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-08-21, 03:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GlennR
I'm under 50¢ per mile.

The owner of the LBS once told me a guy from South Hampton dropped in and needed a bike as a prop for a fund raiser he was hosting. He walked around the shop and like the Cervelo P5X they had on display. It had Zipp 454 and Ceramic Speed OSP, when he was told it's $15,000 he pulled out his credit card, loaded it in his Lambo SUV and took it home. No fit, no adjustments and he never came back.

The bike was a 52cm and the guy was 6'1".

I'm sure it's sitting in a garage and was never ridden.

Customer was happy, dealer was happy so it was a win/win in the end.
I hope it was given someone a bit shorter. If not, I'd almost bet it's "stored" ostentatiously.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-08-21 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 09:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I hope it was given someone a bit shorter. If not, I'd almost bet it's "stored" ostentatiously.
I bet it's sitting neglected in a garage or a closet never to be looked at.