Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

As Is

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 11:13 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 110 Posts
As Is

@saddlesores thx for the new word 'micturate'

Yegads me mates down the effing pub will micturate themselves laughing when I say I'm off to the John to micturate
Old 04-27-16, 01:53 PM
scroungetech

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I try to stay as friendly & neutral as possible here, and have just one thought to add. One of the most knowledgeable bike shop owners & mechanics I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, Larry Black at Mt Airy bikes in Maryland, who keeps about 2000 used bikes in stock at any one time, when faced with a bunch of my questions based on internet reading, summed it up like this. "Over-reading is just as bad as over-eating." In other words, develop your sense of bike-feel by going out and riding and _feeling_ the bike with senses that are more primal than the parts of your brain that read words on a screen. Then you'll know what works & what you might like to upgrade. This is why my Surly Troll is a stripped frame that hangs on a hook, and my early '90's lugged Schwinn High Plains is my preferred ride. Yeah, I got it at a flea mkt for $90, yeah the seat tube & bottom bracket were full of field corn & mouse droppings, yeah the paint is thrashed, yeah all my racks need p-clamps & hose clamps for mounting, and yeah I over-hauled it myself and replaced all the stock components with parts from my local bike co-op, bike swaps & 2nd hand on ebay. But I love how it feels & how it fits me better than any bike I've ever owned or test-ridden. I like it so much that when I found another one just like it on CL for $50 I bought it just to have a backup. I would've never figured this out unless I stopped reading & started riding. Mega-thanks to the local non-profit bike co-op near me, The Common Wheel, for teaching me to solve mechanical conundrums along the way. Now I'm gonna switch off this interactive TV internet thing that mostly attempts to sells me stuff I don't really need & go ride a bike instead.
Old 04-27-16, 02:33 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
@saddlesores thx for the new word 'micturate'

Yegads me mates down the effing pub will micturate themselves laughing when I say I'm off to the John to micturate
Such are the magical properties in the English language. No wonder my students here in Qatar are having such a b**tch of a time learning English.... and I teach Chemistry and Physics
Old 04-27-16, 03:09 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 110 Posts
As Is

Good grief, yes. Learning english as a foreign language is one thing, but then with all the global and regional accents, dialects, slang, jargon and micturating posh words that hardly anyone has ever heard before! Must be a b*tch :/
Old 04-27-16, 05:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by scroungetech
I try to stay as friendly & neutral as possible here, and have just one thought to add. One of the most knowledgeable bike shop owners & mechanics I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, Larry Black at Mt Airy bikes in Maryland, who keeps about 2000 used bikes in stock at any one time, when faced with a bunch of my questions based on internet reading, summed it up like this. "Over-reading is just as bad as over-eating." In other words, develop your sense of bike-feel by going out and riding and _feeling_ the bike with senses that are more primal than the parts of your brain that read words on a screen. Then you'll know what works & what you might like to upgrade. This is why my Surly Troll is a stripped frame that hangs on a hook, and my early '90's lugged Schwinn High Plains is my preferred ride. Yeah, I got it at a flea mkt for $90, yeah the seat tube & bottom bracket were full of field corn & mouse droppings, yeah the paint is thrashed, yeah all my racks need p-clamps & hose clamps for mounting, and yeah I over-hauled it myself and replaced all the stock components with parts from my local bike co-op, bike swaps & 2nd hand on ebay. But I love how it feels & how it fits me better than any bike I've ever owned or test-ridden. I like it so much that when I found another one just like it on CL for $50 I bought it just to have a backup. I would've never figured this out unless I stopped reading & started riding. Mega-thanks to the local non-profit bike co-op near me, The Common Wheel, for teaching me to solve mechanical conundrums along the way. Now I'm gonna switch off this interactive TV internet thing that mostly attempts to sells me stuff I don't really need & go ride a bike instead.
A great post that gets to the heart of having a "relationship" with your bike.

I too have two thrift store touring bikes that I have built from the ground up, mostly with odd ball or sub optimal parts (according to some). But I love my bikes and know them inside and out (literally, I sprayed both with frame saver). One is a Raleigh steel mtb which I shouldn't love so much but do and the other is a lighter chromo mtb that has almost the same dimensions but is about 15lb's lighter. I have a C&V dept. store road bike (BayCrest Hurricane) that I over time sought out vintage parts for. I want to tour with it in the future but have to be somewhat selective in routes because it only has 6 speeds and I live in hilly country, though I may down grade to a sturmey archer 3 speed if I find one. . I'm always on the lookout for an appropriate carradice type bag for it and vintage bars that also offer reasonable hand positioning.

You can love a bike because you think it looks bling to others or you can love it because you have put a part of yourself into it.
Old 04-27-16, 06:41 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You can love a bike because you think it looks bling to others or you can love it because you have put a part of yourself into it.
+1

That's why I have more than one bike. I build them up, and just have a hard time parting with them.
Old 04-27-16, 08:34 PM
IdahoTrollGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learn from my own experience, and I learn from others. For example, on a tour, I broke my cheap stock rear wheel. So, I did my homework and built a bombproof new wheelset that will rock my world. Also, I hosted a bunch of WarmShowers tourers coming through town, and saw Selle Anotomica -- wow, gotta get me one, and did. New rack. New handlebars. Little by little, I build MY bike, my way. You know what? it was really satisfying. That's why we do it. Also, when you are on tour, you ride all day, every day. When I race in a Cyclocross race, it is only for an hour. So I put my custom work and money on the tour bike, not on the racers. I'm too old to win anyway, but I still ride far! If you haven't caught the plague, keep riding, and you will. It's just money, afterall. Oh, and it gives you something to talk about with your bike pals.
Old 04-27-16, 08:38 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoTrollGuy
I learn from my own experience, and I learn from others. For example, on a tour, I broke my cheap stock rear wheel. So, I did my homework and built a bombproof new wheelset that will rock my world. Also, I hosted a bunch of WarmShowers tourers coming through town, and saw Selle Anotomica -- wow, gotta get me one, and did. New rack. New handlebars. Little by little, I build MY bike, my way. You know what? it was really satisfying. That's why we do it. Also, when you are on tour, you ride all day, every day. When I race in a Cyclocross race, it is only for an hour. So I put my custom work and money on the tour bike, not on the racers. I'm too old to win anyway, but I still ride far! If you haven't caught the plague, keep riding, and you will. It's just money, afterall. Oh, and it gives you something to talk about with your bike pals.
I agree about the soul part, and said so recently somewhere here.

As to money, whatever it buys can last a long time... or not. Much better to spend it on a bike that will give lasting satisfaction than on a gambling bet, or a night at the pub. In my book, anyway.
Old 04-27-16, 08:54 PM
IdahoTrollGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said.
Old 04-27-16, 10:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy FeetYou can love a bike because you think it looks bling to others or you can love it because you have put a part of yourself into it.

Originally Posted by Doug64
+1

That's why I have more than one bike. I build them up, and just have a hard time parting with them.
You can love a bicycle because it has carried you to some interesting areas where you've had wonderful experiences and now have wonderful memories. A bicycle can be like a really dedicated friend and never let you down.

Cheers
Old 04-27-16, 11:15 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by scroungetech
Knew Larry Black way back from when he was active in the National Capital Velo club. Nice guy, & his bike shops are top-notch, stocks far more touring bikes/stuff than avg LBS. Only local shop that sold the SafeZone helmet mirror. Plus they sell/have info about many other niche bikes/equipment.
Old 04-27-16, 11:20 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Originally Posted by Happy FeetYou can love a bike because you think it looks bling to others or you can love it because you have put a part of yourself into it.

You can love a bicycle because it has carried you to some interesting areas where you've had wonderful experiences and now have wonderful memories. A bicycle can be like a really dedicated friend and never let you down.

Cheers
I think that's why I like my Raleigh. It's sort of like this old friend I go touring with. Especially true because I mostly ride alone. I feel a little guilty taking my new gal out but I really wanted a lighter faster bike for my Prairie trip.