Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirrors... There, I said it.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mirrors... There, I said it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 10:16 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I grew up in Chicago in the Land of Lincoln. The gestures are part of the rating system that drivers use to give "feedback" to one another. Notice that the gesturing insures silence.

J.
I have no idea what you are talking about. There aren't that many hand gestures that require that the fingers be highly visible. These gestures are not usually conveying positive sentiments. The driver of a single track vehicle should NEVER use hand gestures to convey negative or angry information around cagers. The cager may go to jail (or not) for killing a cyclist that has flipped them off, but it won't bring the cyclist (or motorcyclist) back to life.
Old 09-09-15, 10:24 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I have no idea what you are talking about. There aren't that many hand gestures that require that the fingers be highly visible. These gestures are not usually conveying positive sentiments. The driver of a single track vehicle should NEVER use hand gestures to convey negative or angry information around cagers. The cager may go to jail (or not) for killing a cyclist that has flipped them off, but it won't bring the cyclist (or motorcyclist) back to life.

There is one gesture that requires a finger to be highly visible.

And I disagree with your premise.

J.
Old 09-09-15, 10:25 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think the main controversy on mirror threads such as this one is that many subscribers post that shoulder checks eliminate mirrors, not the mirrors eliminate shoulder checks. Because mirrors can be periodically viewed, one often knows what’s b for quite a distance. Of course if uncertain about what’s immediately behind, a shoulder check is useful. But I think a shoulder check can be limited by how far you can twist, and how long you want to linger scanning the rearward view.
One of the disadvantages (maybe the only disadvantage) of the SafeZone helmet mirror, is that it is so damn big that when you do an actual over the shoulder look back, you see only mirror! Rarely, however, is a full 180* turn necessary. Anything, even the slightest tilt of your head to allow more of your peripheral vision, or your peripheral hearing to sample the road environment immediately behind you is far more beneficial than total reliance on the mirror.
Old 09-09-15, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 4,064 Times in 2,633 Posts
Two takes on mirrors here. First: what I use. Second: why mirrors will be seen in the peloton someday and how that will play out.

I use the clamp-on CatEye mounted on a bracket screwed to my helmet visor. Puts the mirror exactly at the upper left corner of my glasses and close enough that field of view is impressive, far better than my car mirrors. No vibration, unless my whole head and helmet are vibrating. That bracket is an issue though. No one, to my knowledge, makes one. So I make my own. Bend some thin aluminum sheet to fit the visor and clamp, then fiberglass both sides with thin cloth and epoxy resin. Makes a bracket that fits like it was made t be there (it was) and outlasts several helmets. Also provides a much better mount for the clamp. The mirror gets knocked off maybe once a year, I need perhaps two over the life of the helmet and needs no adjustment. Why no one else makes a $5 bracket to do the same thing is completely beyond me.

And racing: The day will come when a Cavendish type wears a mirror and finds he can do a far better job of monitoring his competition. There will be protests that it is unfair and dangerous. UCI will outlaw them quoting the danger or sharp objects around the eye in a crash. There will be an uproar with people saying that UCI should be setting a precedent to young upcoming racers and all the wannabes out there that mirrors are cool; that this could save a lot of lives worldwide. UCI will (grudgingly) relent and allow them.

Not promising this will happen in my lifetime. But it will happen, for sure. Get used to it (if you are substantially younger that me).

Ben
Old 09-09-15, 02:47 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

And racing: The day will come when a Cavendish type wears a mirror and finds he can do a far better job of monitoring his competition.

Ben
I use mirrors in aggressive race training rides on the road. It is SO nice to see what is going on behind me, and without anyone knowing I am looking. ;-)

------------------------
Geeze, talk about bringing a thread back from the dead. Wasn't one Mirror thread enough???
Old 09-09-15, 04:46 PM
nasabiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the helmet mirrors hurt my eyes! on my old recumbent i used mirrcycle mirrors, on a DF i dont find a huge need in my particular area.
Old 09-10-15, 07:21 AM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Day-Glo gloves ensure that certain hand gestures emphasizing usage of certain fingers are seen better in low light conditions.

J.
Well, the gloves in question are fingerless so they wouldn't improve the visibility of finger gestures. I wear them so that it is easier for cagers to see that I'm turning or going to go from the shoulder / bike lane over two lanes so I can make a left turn.