Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 10:35 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
That's a fair point. I've asked for another referral partly because I do want an opinion from someone who regularly works with athletes. I'm not anxious for surgery per se, I'm anxious about healing in a way that interferes with my ability to ride a racing bike. If someone has another solution to get my shoulder aligned that isn't surgical, I'm okay with that, too.
Yeah, in my case the broken bone went down, not up. Seems I'm lucky it didn't get any nerves or other important stuff on the way.
I suppose I need to do that homework. I took a look in the mirror today, and the difference between my shoulders is maybe not as bad as I'd feared. But the guy today was saying things like "bursitis" and "impingement," and that worries me. And even if my shoulders aren't as asymmetrical as I first thought, I've had enough experience with bike fit and injury to know that small differences can be significant. So we'll see what the other opinions are.
I'm not a doctor so talk to your doctor etc etc etc, but here's my opinion.

Bursitis just means swelling within a joint. The bursae are fluid filled sacs that pad joints. Impingement can be bad, but it depends on healing.

Sports med docs are often more concerned about getting you back to sport vs longevity. Many, especially in this area, treat athletes that get paid to do their business and there a surgery that will life crappy for them 20 years down the road will pay them millions now. So there's a tradeoff. We don't live in the same world.

If you have access to your surgeon's notes and can text/email me the description of your fracture and if there's a classification, then I'll look and see if I can find any journal articles this weekend that address short and long term quality of life dealing with surgery vs no surgery. I'll send a few to you so you can read them and make your own opinion.

I can tell you that some of the premier trials in back surgery found that with herniations, surgical patients heal faster, but after a year there's little to no difference in their function. Not sure how it works with clavicles. I'm curious about clavicle breaks though.
Old 11-07-13, 10:44 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Some stuff:

Open Orthop J. 2013 Sep 6;7:329-33. doi: 10.2174/1874325001307010329.
Fractures of the clavicle: an overview.

Donnelly TD, Macfarlane RJ, Nagy MT, Ralte P, Waseem M.
Source

Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Macclesfield District General Hospital, Victoria Road, Macclesfield, SK10 3BL, UK.

Abstract

Fractures of the clavicle are a common injury and most often occur in younger individuals. For the most part, they have been historically treated conservatively with acceptable results. However, over recent years, more and more research is showing that operative treatment may decrease the rates of fracture complications and increase functional outcomes. This article first describes the classification of clavicle fractures and then reviews the literature over the past decades to form a conclusion regarding the appropriate management. A thorough literature review was performed on assessment of fractures of the clavicle, their classification and the outcomes following conservative treatment. Further literature was gathered regarding the surgical treatment of these fractures, including the methods of fixation and the surgical approaches used. Both conservative and surgical treatments were then compared and contrasted. The majority of recent data suggests that operative treatment may be more appropriate as it improves functional outcome and reduces the risk of complications such as non-union. This is particularly evident in mid shaft fractures, although more high grade evidence is needed to fully recommend this, especially regarding certain fractures of the medial and lateral clavicle.

KEYWORDS:

Clavicle fracture, Rockwood pin., internal fixation, locking plate

------------------------

Injury. 2012 Feb;43(2):159-63. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2011.04.008. Epub 2011 May 24.
A 2-year experience, management and outcome of 200 clavicle fractures.

Singh R, Rambani R, Kanakaris N, Giannoudis PV.
Source

Department of Orthopedics, Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK. rahulsingh1@doctors.org.uk

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Clavicle fractures can cause pain and functional impairment if not managed appropriately. This article evaluates the prevalence of clavicular fractures, estimates the number of cases requiring operative treatment, evaluates whether removal of implant is a frequent necessity and compares the final functional outcome of the operative and non-operative groups.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:

Between November 2005 and November 2007, patients with clavicular fractures were eligible for participation. Patients below 18 years of age and those with pathological fractures were excluded. Demographic details, mechanism of injury, operative versus non-operative treatment, radiographic classification (Allman system), complications, implant removal and functional outcome using the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) shoulder-rating score were documented and analysed.
RESULTS:

Out of 16,280 fractures that presented to our University Teaching Hospitals, 200 (1.23%) met the inclusion criteria. As many as 20 patients were lost due to natural attrition. A total of 159 (88.3%) patients were treated non-operatively and 21 (11.7%) patients were operated upon, over half of them for symptomatic non-union. All clavicles united postoperatively. Eighty-one conservatively managed undisplaced medial, middle and lateral end fractures had excellent mean UCLA shoulder scores. A statistical significance in UCLA scores (p<0.05) was noted between the operative and non-operative patient groups in mid-shaft fractures. There was no statistical difference between the operative and non-operative groups in lateral-end fractures. A total of 42.9% required removal of metal implant due to soft tissue irritation with complete resolution of symptoms.
CONCLUSION:

The incidence of clavicle fractures was 1.23%. A small number of patients (11.7%) required operative treatment. We recommend surgical management of symptomatic non-union and removal of metal implant for hardware-related irritation.
-----------

J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Apr 18;94(8):675-84. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.J.01364.
Operative versus nonoperative care of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.

McKee RC, Whelan DB, Schemitsch EH, McKee MD.
Source

Division of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgery, St. Michael's Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. McKeeM@smh.ca

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Recent studies have suggested benefits following primary operative fixation of substantially displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle. We reviewed randomized clinical trials of operative versus nonoperative treatment of these fractures, and pooled the functional outcome and complication rates to arrive at summary estimates of these outcomes.
METHODS:

A systematic review of the literature was performed to identify studies of randomized clinical trials comparing operative versus nonoperative care for displaced midshaft clavicular fractures.
RESULTS:

Six studies (n = 412 patients, mean Detsky score = 15.3) were included. The nonunion rate was higher in the nonoperatively treated patients (twenty-nine of 200) than it was in patients treated operatively (three of 212) (p = 0.001). The rate of symptomatic malunion was higher in the nonoperative group (seventeen of 200) than it was in the operative group (0 of 212) (p < 0.001).
CONCLUSIONS:

Operative treatment provided a significantly lower rate of nonunion and symptomatic malunion and an earlier functional return compared with nonoperative treatment. However, there is little evidence at present to show that the long-term functional outcome of operative intervention is significantly superior to nonoperative care.
------

J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2013 May;22(5):608-11. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2012.06.006. Epub 2012 Sep 7.
Clinical and financial comparison of operative and nonoperative treatment of displaced clavicle fractures.

Althausen PL, Shannon S, Lu M, O'Mara TJ, Bray TJ.
Source

Reno Orthopaedic Clinic, 555 N Arlington Ave, Reno, NV 89503, USA.palthausen@sbcglobal.net

Abstract

HYPOTHESIS:

Surgical stabilization of displaced clavicle fractures was once considered to have rare indications. Our purpose was to present the clinical and economic effects of surgical management using data collected from operative and nonoperative patients.
METHODS:

Our fracture database was queried from January 1, 2005, to January 1, 2010, identifying 204 patients with displaced midclavicular fractures. Radiographs and charts were reviewed, and questionnaires were distributed.
RESULTS:

Operative patients had less chronic pain (6.1% vs 25.3%), less cosmetic deformity (18.2% vs 32.5%), less weakness (10.6% vs 33.7%), less loss of motion (15.2% vs 31.3%), and fewer nonunions (0% vs 4.8%). Operative patients missed fewer days of work (8.4 days vs 35.2 days) and required less assistance (3 days vs 7 days) for care at home. Mean income lost was $321.69 versus $10,506.25. Operative patients had a mean emergency department bill of $2,060.51 versus $1,871.92 and had a mean hospital bill of $8,520.30 versus $3,692.65, and anesthesia charges averaged $946.11. Operative patients required less physical therapy, and the mean physical therapy cost was $971.76 versus $1,820. Nonoperative patients required more pain medication ($43.22 vs $45.98). Overall, the cost was $12,976.94 for operative patients and $18,068.27 for nonoperative patients.
CONCLUSIONS:

Patients with displaced clavicle fractures benefit clinically and financially from stabilization. They have less chronic pain, less deformity, less weakness, and better range of motion. They return to work sooner, take less pain medication, and require less physical therapy. Their initial hospital bill is higher because of surgical charges but is balanced by less income loss, resulting in a cost savings of $5,091.33 in operative patients.

------------------
The last two journal articles probably come from the best journals. JBJS is one of the premier ortho journals.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 11-07-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 10:50 AM
Dolamite02

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi via Nirone 7, GT Zaskar 9r Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
I think you should come over here some day and do some hill repeats...
"...What's your name and why are you late?"

"My name is, Blueberry Hill."
Old 11-07-13, 11:17 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
It's a tool not a jewel.
I chuckle when the help trot out their homespun wisdom. Of course none of your bikes are jewels. You're poor, no doubt as a result of ethnicity or simple laziness. Or unattractiveness if you're female.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 11-07-13 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 11:18 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Waki used his bike as a tool...banging it to make sure the door frame was set properly.
Old 11-07-13, 11:24 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Waki used his bike as a tool...banging it to make sure the door frame was set properly.
Rkwaki banging his bike...now there's a visual...

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-07-13, 11:24 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
It truly is unreal...
We love you anyway .... sort of.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-07-13, 11:38 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
No I used it as a door stop...
From the door frame out...
Old 11-07-13, 11:38 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Rkwaki banging WR's bike...now there's a reality...
She's dirty...
Old 11-07-13, 01:03 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Boom if you are an insider that got it for $26. I will pass at the current street price of $46. But I passed on Google too
Boom indeed.

But couldn't you have put in a "limit order" to buy at the IPO price, earlier this morning? Fidelity was letting me get far enough to try that, but said my weak ass "odd lot" order of less than 100 shares could go F itself.

So it seems like you could've gotten it at $26, if you bought more than 100 shares. Which is more than I was willing to risk.

my race videos
Old 11-07-13, 01:05 PM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should come over here some day and do some hill repeats...
Oh snap, its a date
Old 11-07-13, 01:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Boom indeed.

But couldn't you have put in a "limit order" to buy at the IPO price, earlier this morning? Fidelity was letting me get far enough to try that, but said my weak ass "odd lot" order of less than 100 shares could go F itself.

So it seems like you could've gotten it at $26, if you bought more than 100 shares. Which is more than I was willing to risk.
Theoretically. But if no one is willing to sell at 26, then your order won't get filled.

Why won't they let you do small orders ? Maybe a limitation specific to the IPO ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-07-13, 01:25 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Four day weekend coming up.
Old 11-07-13, 01:25 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I'm not a doctor so talk to your doctor etc etc etc, but here's my opinion.

Bursitis just means swelling within a joint. The bursae are fluid filled sacs that pad joints. Impingement can be bad, but it depends on healing.

Sports med docs are often more concerned about getting you back to sport vs longevity. Many, especially in this area, treat athletes that get paid to do their business and there a surgery that will life crappy for them 20 years down the road will pay them millions now. So there's a tradeoff. We don't live in the same world.

If you have access to your surgeon's notes and can text/email me the description of your fracture and if there's a classification, then I'll look and see if I can find any journal articles this weekend that address short and long term quality of life dealing with surgery vs no surgery. I'll send a few to you so you can read them and make your own opinion.

I can tell you that some of the premier trials in back surgery found that with herniations, surgical patients heal faster, but after a year there's little to no difference in their function. Not sure how it works with clavicles. I'm curious about clavicle breaks though.
Thanks. I'll PM or email you in a bit, errands to run now. I have a new appointment tomorrow, I'll be sure to ask what the classification of my fracture is, see what other info I can get.
Old 11-07-13, 01:27 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know about TWTR except that my home "value" just went up another 10% if we ever decide to sell.
Old 11-07-13, 01:30 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
tl:dr
However, over recent years, more and more research is showing that operative treatment may decrease the rates of fracture complications and increase functional outcomes.
that's what my surgeons pointed to, along with the fact that I was begging them to not leave me in the condition I was in with my 4-piece breaks.
Old 11-07-13, 01:36 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
Boom indeed.

It does not work that way. No trades occur until there is a seller and a buyer at the same price. Which in this case was at $45 or whatever.
Old 11-07-13, 01:52 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Thanks. I'll PM or email you in a bit, errands to run now. I have a new appointment tomorrow, I'll be sure to ask what the classification of my fracture is, see what other info I can get.
Sure, I posted a few abstracts up above that you can look at. Happy to pull a few papers and email them to you if you're interested.
You should also ask the surgeon what literature says about op vs non-op for your case. See if they can give you a reference or two to think about. They'll be much more up on that stuff (or should) than I am. Ortho is often considered a jock specialty, but the surgeons have some of the highest board scores in medicine and many of them are very interested in research.

Originally Posted by Ygduf
tl:dr

that's what my surgeons pointed to, along with the fact that I was begging them to not leave me in the condition I was in with my 4-piece breaks.
You're probably right. The complications from surgery are more predictable than that from bones not healing properly. Also, they have definitive course of treatment for the complications in the most part. The only thing is worrisome is infection, but a good hospital with a low rate shouldn't be an issue. It's not that long of a surgery. I'm guessing it's like 1-2 hrs for them to instrument and fuse? Some of the spine surgeries here are like 4hrs, 8 hrs, etc. The longer you're open the higher the chance of infection, but honestly this is a relatively rare occurrence and something that they go over in the pre-op appointment.
Old 11-07-13, 01:56 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Why won't they let you do small orders ? Maybe a limitation specific to the IPO ?
Yeah it was before the market was open. Afterwards I was able to buy my measly 10 shares no problem.

Luckily it feels like "play money" since I sold MSFT shares that I got for free.

my race videos
Old 11-07-13, 01:57 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by globecanvas
It does not work that way. No trades occur until there is a seller and a buyer at the same price. Which in this case was at $45 or whatever.
Ha, shows what I know!

my race videos
Old 11-07-13, 02:35 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waterrockets
yep, mine's no fun
Since I forgot to calibrate the srm before doing my benchmark 20 minutes, it's worthless I suppose. Pretty charts, though, and I glowed in the good feelings of a new CP20 until I realized I hadn't calibrated.
Old 11-07-13, 03:00 PM
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Liked 92 Times in 38 Posts
gah!
Old 11-07-13, 03:36 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I chuckle when the help trot out their homespun wisdom. Of course none of your bikes are jewels. You're poor, no doubt as a result of ethnicity or simple laziness. Or unattractiveness if you're female.

Seat's not level.
Old 11-07-13, 03:45 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Seat's not level.
Matches life's playing field. And it makes it much easier to look down my nose at people as I ride past them.
Old 11-07-13, 08:55 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you just need to sit down and have a good chat to clear the air and get things headed in the right direction...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.