Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 12:39 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,216 Times in 4,272 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Question is eye vs. visual field in both eyes. "Ocular migraine" is a very rare phenomenon and affects a single eye and can look like it's right in the middle of the visual field. I don't think I've ever seen a case. Classic migraine, which is common as dirt, and which I've had from time to time, produces a "scintillating scotoma" in one visual field of both eyes because it arises in the visual cortex. However, people routinely think it's in one eye.

Your "far to the left" description, plus good old Bayesian figgerin' leads me strongly to think this is classic migraine. However, if was really one eye, all bets are off and you need to talk to a real doctor.
I am guessing it was a "classic migraine" but no real bad headache after the scotoma. Just a funny/strange feeling, which seems to be resolving. It's happened to me a handful of times in the past, but this is the first time in several years.
Old 10-30-19, 12:39 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,973 Times in 3,220 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Cold ride today, made worse by ****ty gloves. I'd evidently never worn them on a bike ride before, because they were bad enough that I don't plan on wearing them on a bike ride ever again. They're some 45Nrth Sturmfists, and they're supposed to be great cycling gloves, but the fingers/thumb are too damn short, which cause two problems: really ****ty grip/control when on the hoods and freeeeeeeezing fingertips (the insulation in the tips was being compressed by my fingers, and compressed insulation is pretty damn worthless). I had set out to do 40+ miles, but decided to do a bare minimum on the MUP instead - with less steering/braking concern, I could ride the tops and pull my thumbs out of the glove thumbs and tuck them in with the palms to warm them up.

I'm now having a slice of the leftover bday key lime pie as consolation.

Nice pie. Tight gloves are dangerous.
Old 10-30-19, 12:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
I am guessing it was a "classic migraine" but no real bad headache after the scotoma. Just a funny/strange feeling, which seems to be resolving. It's happened to me a handful of times in the past, but this is the first time in several years.
Then you're fine. I get headaches and "prodromes," too, and have never had the two together. The trigger, if knowable, in any particular case could be virtually anything. I got my first prodrome after being up all night on call, going for a hard swim, drinking a huge pot of coffee, and having my wife tell me she was pregnant for the first time.
Old 10-30-19, 12:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by SwtBadger
If your weather is anything like over here in WI, its still a hard*** ride you pulled. Not so much the cold, but the wetness and overcast. Cold fingers are the worst, toes seem to just go numb cycling but those fingers are exposed and let you know it.
It was in the mid-20s. The rest of me was fine, only the fingers were protesting. I very nearly had a rude reminder that standing water is no longer standing water, though.

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
Also anything approaching 1/4 is not merely "a slice", no matter how well earned.
Oh, god - there's no way that I could stomach that much at once. A slice of that is more like 1/12th.

Tight gloves are dangerous.
That's the thing that sucks - it's just that the fingers are short. The palm area is very generous, so sizing up prolly wouldn't have worked.
Old 10-30-19, 12:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Cold ride today, made worse by ****ty gloves. I'd evidently never worn them on a bike ride before, because they were bad enough that I don't plan on wearing them on a bike ride ever again. They're some 45Nrth Sturmfists, and they're supposed to be great cycling gloves, but the fingers/thumb are too damn short, which cause two problems: really ****ty grip/control when on the hoods and freeeeeeeezing fingertips (the insulation in the tips was being compressed by my fingers, and compressed insulation is pretty damn worthless). I had set out to do 40+ miles, but decided to do a bare minimum on the MUP instead - with less steering/braking concern, I could ride the tops and pull my thumbs out of the glove thumbs and tuck them in with the palms to warm them up.

Homemade? The no bake, raw, lime juice thickened egg kind? We must have standards!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-30-19, 12:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

That's the thing that sucks - it's just that the fingers are short. The palm area is very generous, so sizing up prolly wouldn't have worked.
I have given away a lot of expensive gloves because they were Ls and XLs, which didn't fit my fat little digits.
Old 10-30-19, 01:10 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Homemade? The no bake, raw, lime juice thickened egg kind? We must have standards!
Professionally made. No idea on the specifics. One of the local restaurants sells it by the slice, but I did some sleuthing and found a lead on which of the local bakeries was likely providing them. The wife followed up on that lead and surprised me with it.
Old 10-30-19, 01:43 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Fatty.

Why waste a freezing finger bike ride with a big piece of pie?

Old 10-30-19, 01:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

My office manager brought me a lunch from the all you can eat Indian place. I don’t eat lunch. Had some. Delicious. Rode home. Now have an interval w/o on the trainer to get through. Could be ugly!
Old 10-30-19, 01:56 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,654 Times in 2,552 Posts

I like pie.
Old 10-30-19, 03:01 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Fatty.

Why waste a freezing finger bike ride with a big piece of pie?
It was little. Honest.

I'll still end up 500-750 cal in the hole for the day.
Old 10-30-19, 03:38 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Third day in a row rideless. Did I lose my mojo again? I will make the commitment to mount the gp4ks2 tires and that will surely inspire me to get out and try them. Our weather, unfortunately, remains uncomfortably warm and humid.
#WaitingforNovember
Old 10-30-19, 03:39 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
It was little. Honest.

I'll still end up 500-750 cal in the hole for the day.
Didn't we long ago decide that cheesecake is a lowfat post ride snack? Have another slice.
Old 10-30-19, 04:10 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 4,925 Times in 2,845 Posts
These are the best things ever. They are a great accessory on cold days that fit nicely in a vest pocket, which I know I wear if I bust these out.

https://tokous.com/toko-racing-overmitt/
Likes For LAJ:
Old 10-30-19, 04:17 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
In honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving Don Pedro Island beach trip, I'm going on a diet. No pie for me.
Old 10-30-19, 04:41 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 4,925 Times in 2,845 Posts
Nice. Don Pedro Island sound good right now.
Old 10-30-19, 05:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Professionally made. No idea on the specifics. One of the local restaurants sells it by the slice, but I did some sleuthing and found a lead on which of the local bakeries was likely providing them. The wife followed up on that lead and surprised me with it.
Your wife is a keeper. Key lime pie is one of the great tastes of our time. Tony Mandola, here in Houston, makes it with sliced banana layered in the lime filling like a banana cream pie. Now that is special.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-30-19 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 05:32 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Didn't we long ago decide that cheesecake is a lowfat post ride snack? Have another slice.
Wrong. It is a low-fat snack any time. Save a slice for me.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-30-19, 05:34 PM
rpenmanparker 

My office manager brought me a lunch from the all you can eat Indian place. I don’t eat lunch. Had some. Delicious. Rode home. Now have an interval w/o on the trainer to get through. Could be ugly!
I do eat lunch, but I do not eat Indian.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-30-19, 05:37 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
In honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving Don Pedro Island beach trip, I'm going on a diet. No pie for me.
I’ll have yours.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-30-19, 05:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,024 Times in 4,265 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Do they provide the tools, or do you have to provide the 64 pack?
I wish!

They threw me on a workstation with a trackball mouse. Uggh.
Old 10-30-19, 06:14 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Totally agree. Pie is a food group that brings cyclists many important nutrients. It doesn't count if it's pie.
Old 10-30-19, 06:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I do eat lunch, but I do not eat Indian.
I eat it very rarely. The Punjabi food they serve at most restaurants is too rich, but there is other stuff if you live in the right city.
Old 10-30-19, 06:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,216 Times in 4,272 Posts
Love Indian food. Possibly my favorite. Hot or not??
Old 10-30-19, 07:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Love Indian food. Possibly my favorite. Hot or not??
Pretty tame and could have used a little mango pickle. She’s Indian and brings me treats from home from time to time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.