Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 02:48 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaser95
Yes.......mine has the remnants of the familiar "Made in england" script on the top.
Thanks for the answers Chaser5 and Boattail71. Are there a lot of these still around?
Old 03-28-18, 02:58 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Liked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Actually, I counted them last night and there are 87. If anyone needs a few let me know. I will take some to the Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show in June to share with my Canadian 3speed colleagues.
If you need any more Shimano parts, let me know. I have a small box of various parts that I have not bothered to catalog. I think all of them are for 333 hubs. Free for mailing cost.
Old 03-28-18, 04:12 PM
Chaser95

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports, 1980 Lotus Excelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Thanks for the answers Chaser5 and Boattail71. Are there a lot of these still around?
I can't say. I live in a rural area and all 3 speeds are scarce. However, two Western Flyers popped up on here in a short time. Seems to me like all the bikes are in Canada and New England. I am learning that Raleigh made bikes for many companies and why not? That factory was huge! Hey Boattail71........is that a Buick?
Old 03-28-18, 04:18 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaser95
Hey Boattail71........is that a Buick?
edit, you may be right. https://www.buick-riviera.com/

Last edited by Ballenxj; 03-28-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 09:48 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Ha! I don't think it will make a big difference which I use. Just glad I found a NOS axle so I'm not clapping on another old clapped out one. Just for the record, I love the English bikes with these 3-speed hubs and it bothers me to see so many unappreciated, abandoned here on the sidewalk, getting beat up by the elements until eventually there's nothing left. The open frame (girls) models especially get no respect. Also I'm glad after all these years to have an excuse to rebuild one. I've never tried that before.
Open? I appreciate the "open?" frame. This baby boomer calls them "women's" or "ladies" bikes. Millennials call them "step-through," for some reason but I digress. These classics are cherished by (some) co-eds in my college town so I aspire to resurrect derelict 3-speeds, especially the "women's" bikes, and get them back on the road for less than the cost of a new bike. We all win.
Old 03-29-18, 03:09 AM
BigChief

Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
Open? I appreciate the "open?" frame. This baby boomer calls them "women's" or "ladies" bikes. Millennials call them "step-through," for some reason but I digress. These classics are cherished by (some) co-eds in my college town so I aspire to resurrect derelict 3-speeds, especially the "women's" bikes, and get them back on the road for less than the cost of a new bike. We all win.
I'm glad to hear that, although in my experience I have trouble giving away old English ladies 3 speeds. For some reason that I don't understand this particular nitch of C&V cycling is almost totally dominated by grown men. I hope your experience is a new trend and more women will come into the fold. It's a fun hobby and the old bikes are still practical and certainly better looking than most modern bikes. Most of the time, I use the term stepthrough because it makes more sense to modern cyclists, but the old fashioned ladies and gents is nice in a vintage context.
Old 03-29-18, 07:15 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
I'm chastened. I also wish I could legally emancipate all the forsaken ones locked to parking signs here and send them on to you for rehabilitation. What's college for, anyway?
Old 03-29-18, 08:35 AM
BigChief

Well, at least they are good for parts to rescue the more wanted gents 3 speeds. Something I've wondered about but don't know is whether one of the ladies size forks will work on a gents 23" frame. Everything but the frame is usable and ends up being about a tenth of the price of buying the parts separately.
Old 03-29-18, 09:32 AM
nlerner

Liked 7,741 Times in 2,874 Posts
When I've had to source fenders and chainguards for men's 3-speed builds, I've ended up buying a couple of lady's 3-speeds to harvest those parts and then re-selling at low prices with non-original fitments. Similar to [MENTION=398265]BigChief[/MENTION]'s experience, in this market, there are usually lots of lady's 3-speeds available at low prices.
Old 03-29-18, 11:42 AM
desconhecido 

Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Well, at least they are good for parts to rescue the more wanted gents 3 speeds. Something I've wondered about but don't know is whether one of the ladies size forks will work on a gents 23" frame. Everything but the frame is usable and ends up being about a tenth of the price of buying the parts separately.
We've got a couple step throughs -- ladies, if you prefer. Also have a Raleigh Grand Prix step through from about 1971. Haven't measured the steerer on either the ladies Sports or Superbe, but I did measure the steerer on the Gran Prix and found it to be real close to 2" longer than the steerer on a 21" "Gents" Sports. I think that the fork from a 21" step through would probably be pretty close to the same as a 23" "Gents."

Last edited by desconhecido; 03-29-18 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 12:00 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Liked 295 Times in 134 Posts
I'm glad to hear that, although in my experience I have trouble giving away old English ladies 3 speeds. For some reason that I don't understand this particular nitch of C&V cycling is almost totally dominated by grown men. I hope your experience is a new trend and more women will come into the fold. It's a fun hobby and the old bikes are still practical and certainly better looking than most modern bikes. Most of the time, I use the term stepthrough because it makes more sense to modern cyclists, but the old fashioned ladies and gents is nice in a vintage context.
I took my GF on the Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour last year.

After that she bought a 3-speed on her own- a 1972 'step through' Superbe. The finish was in very good condition as was the chrome; I took it home and redid all the bearings while she watched (she actually wanted to see how it was done; I don't have a reason to think she was humoring me...). I found a key for the fork, now we have matching 1972 Superbes in green. She has troubles with getting over the top tube of regular frames so the step through has been a real boon.

Bring on a friend on the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour... comin' up in 6 weeks!
Old 03-29-18, 01:20 PM
BigChief

[MENTION=330095]Salubrious[/MENTION] That's great. There's no reason that riding old English bikes should be a (guy) hobby. I'm sure we would get more women involved if they knew it about it.
Old 03-29-18, 01:42 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 628 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
If you need any more Shimano parts, let me know. I have a small box of various parts that I have not bothered to catalog. I think all of them are for 333 hubs. Free for mailing cost.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm good for now. I have only one bike with a Shimano 3speed and its is missing parts (front wheel) and is well down on the list of projects.

It would be nice to have a registry of all these parts out there (like 87 pawl springs!) that we could share. I have other SA parts I know I will never use but hate to toss them in the scrap steel bin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF37971600.jpg (640.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 03-29-18, 02:35 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

I just finished rebuilding the hub. I should have inspected the axle under better light; it was indeed the nut, not the axle, that stripped. But everything inside was quite crusty (AW hub, 1972), so not a bad thing to do. And I've always wanted to take one of these apart.

Like many others, at the very end of the 60s I caught the 10-speed bug and ignored three speeds for many years. I'm sorry about that, now. I also think about the few grownups I'd see on three speeds then and how some of them had modified the bikes slightly for a sportier look. First things: flip over the handlebars and change to rat trap pedals. Also lose the chainguard and fenders, or switch to plastic fenders. I'm not sure if aluminum wheels were available in the stock size then. And I don't think anyone did a cotterless crank conversion. CCs were expensive.
Old 03-29-18, 05:39 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
We've got a couple step throughs -- ladies, if you prefer. Also have a Raleigh Grand Prix step through from about 1971. Haven't measured the steerer on either the ladies Sports or Superbe, but I did measure the steerer on the Gran Prix and found it to be real close to 2" longer than the steerer on a 21" "Gents" Sports. I think that the fork from a 21" step through would probably be pretty close to the same as a 23" "Gents."
I've long wondered where the term "step through" came from. My guess is that it helps a flipper sell them to a wider market. That is, a younger man might not ride a bike termed "womens/ladies" but might ride a "step-through." In fact I've run across college guys who look at my women's bikes and have no clue that they were originally marketed to girls.
Old 03-29-18, 05:43 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put a basket up front and a cute co-ed looks great on a cute English girl's bike. Makes 'em even cuter... the bike that is of course
Old 03-29-18, 08:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,683 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw

It would be nice to have a registry of all these parts out there (like 87 pawl springs!) that we could share. I have other SA parts I know I will never use but hate to toss them in the scrap steel bin.
Looks like some SW parts in there; bit of a niche market, eh?

But a good number of axle keys. Can never have too many of them. One nice thing about the two-piece indicators used on some non-AW hubs: they don't strip axle keys, and even if they did, you don't have to open the hub to fix it.
Old 03-30-18, 09:58 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I xanI
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Yes, two different anti-rotation washers. One is like HMW155. The other doesn't show in Sheldon's list, the tabs that fit in the dropout slot are straight, not curvy, and the washer's outside diameter is slightly bigger. But they fit the same size slot and axle. I could use either but HMW155 is a snugger fit. My real confusion was whether both sets are supposed to be used, one inside the dropouts, the other on the outside. But now I think no--either type could go inside or outside the dropout, but if used on the inside,

I'd want to have a plain flatwasher under the axle nut. (The photo shows the difference.)
I have taken enough of these apart and note how the washers are placed not knowing weather they have been mixed up along the way.
The washer with the bent tabs Have mostly been it where it should be. Seen both

The other is with the heavy grip teeth & dropout guide from I would say 50's - 60"s have come off the outside.I look a t
drop out to see if they stuck the teeth marks in the dropout axle

I would say the heavy tooth washer is far better at staking the axle in at a fixed point. Nice old school grip washer. Fits in the dropout grove.

You still need to find the sweet spot for the adjustment for the outside cones then crank downaxle nuts.
Some say 1/8 turn loose then tighten, but the slop in the axle/nut threads is variable. Could be more , could be less than 1/8 turn.
There are always the smooth thick spacer washers I think are placed to align sprocket more than anything else.

I see 2 of these washers on one side or the other. The sprocket, which is cupped, can also be flipped and has always had 2 spacers as well 1 in 1 out. 2 in 0 out. sometimes 2 on the inside.
The hub sprockets are cupped in and some are cupped out.
The variable is in the frame you are working with. Get out the thin cone wrenches. My friend could edit better I don't lie.

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 04-01-18 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 01:37 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes/no
Old 03-30-18, 03:12 PM
BigChief

I like doing the final wheel bearing adjustment after the wheels are mounted on the bike. For the rear wheel I use 2 of those little SA cone spanners on the non drive side. One for the cone, one for the lock nut. I pull/push the rim side to side and leave a small amount of play. For the front wheel, I slowly tighten until I don't feel any play at the rim.
Old 03-30-18, 04:32 PM
paulb_in_bkln

I like doing the final wheel bearing adjustment after the wheels are mounted on the bike. For the rear wheel I use 2 of those little SA cone spanners on the non drive side. One for the cone, one for the lock nut. I pull/push the rim side to side and leave a small amount of play. For the front wheel, I slowly tighten until I don't feel any play at the rim.
Same here.
Old 03-30-18, 04:51 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
I concur.
Old 03-31-18, 08:15 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Not to get philosophical (obviously that's what I'm about to do), I scratch my head now the way we (meaning me and the few bikies I knew) abandoned the three-speeds way back then, as the 60s closed and the 70s began. All I wanted, dreamed of, finishing up high school, was a UO8. Which shows I suppose the shallowness of my bike knowledge then as I had yet to be introduced to the PX-10, which in any case would have been way above my pay grade; basically I had no pay grade. Now I wonder what was I thinking? The UO8's frame material was similar to the Raleigh Sports; so was the geometry. Chromed steel wheels. Cottered cranks. Steel handlebars. Steel hub shells. Steel seatpost. All the same as the Sports. The UO8 did have an aluminum stem. (Which could break.) The UO8 came with "alpine" gearing--good for then, high considering what bikes come with today--a climbing advantage over the stock Sports. But this would have been rectified easily by switching to a 20 or 22 tooth cog. How often did I pedal in the 52/14 top combination on the UO8? Almost never. Not to mention giving up the reliable AW hub for that plastic Simplex derailleur that one quickly learned was terrible. Being young and flexible then I liked the drop handlebars but that would have been another easy switch on a Sports. The bike shop in my neighborhood focused on the slightly less expensive Dunelt line, but, same difference. All in all, I think it was susceptibility to bike shop sales pitches and herd mentality. Another embarrassment of youth, basically.
Old 03-31-18, 09:28 AM
markk900

Liked 718 Times in 385 Posts
Yeah, I was the same way...but every so often I would go for a ride on my mother’s Raleigh made Glider and have a blast- too bad it was too small.

I will add to your herd mentality that the bike magazines of the time were focused primarily on drop bar racers, with few articles on 3-speeds. I am still looking for an article on Bicycling! that I recall being an IGH done up with cotterless cranks and alloy rims which I remember being intrigued by but like you no pay band meant it was just interesting.....

For many of us the only source of information was the occasional book on cycling at the library (Sloan was my hero), Bicycling! or International Cycle Sport.....not a lot of utility or non-derailleur coverage. I wish I had heard of a Lenton Sports back then.
Old 03-31-18, 10:24 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one looks like new. What brand does this hub look like? Frame?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...545215189.html

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 03-31-18 at 10:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.