Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 10:05 AM
BezO

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
First commute in months due to brake, cabling, handlebar, shipping & procrastination issues. Not as bad on the legs as I expected. New appreciation for slipping through traffic.
Old 05-30-13, 10:06 AM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's Bike to Work Week here in BC. It's a pretty big deal here in Vancouver--workplaces track kms and compete, lots of commuter stations with snacks/draws/free mechanic services, etc.

As usual, the weather is not cooperating for the noobs. Yesterday was the 2nd "bait-and-switch". ie. not raining in the AM, and then pouring in the PM. lol.
Old 05-30-13, 07:37 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Heavy rain and thunderstorms. Though not quite as severe as they'd expected. Still, it was serious.

20 mph headwind, to boot.

Still, I really didn't mind very much. I recently added a powerful headlight for just this reason. I carry seven pounds of battery to power the thing. (I don't carry the battery on days when I'm sure I won't need it.) I felt very secure.

I got wet. My so-called rain gear is in the dryer right now.

Yet it was still a fine ride, mostly.
Old 05-31-13, 05:47 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
I recently added a powerful headlight for just this reason. I carry seven pounds of battery to power the thing. (I don't carry the battery on days when I'm sure I won't need it.) I felt very secure.
Wow! 7lbs of battery!

Ride in: Sweaty, humid...repeat for next three months
Old 05-31-13, 05:52 AM
essiemyra

Liked 277 Times in 113 Posts
The ride in this morning was very nice. I did not notice the temp as I went through town but it was warm enough for shorts and a shirt and very comfortable.
Old 05-31-13, 06:13 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great ride this morning with temps in upper 60s and no wind, plus I had fresh legs because I had to drive yesterday. Our weather has been very summerlike this week, with highs in the upper 80s and high humidity. I would rather it be cooler, but I'm not complaining because we had not storms to contend with. Still a little freaked out by a thief stealing one of my coworker's bike in broad daylight the other day, and considering buying a heavier-duty U lock. The one I have is pretty strong but I might as well use a big, strong, heavy lock because I don't carry it with me but leave it locked to the rack at night.
Old 05-31-13, 07:09 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Great ride this morning with temps in upper 60s and no wind, plus I had fresh legs because I had to drive yesterday. Our weather has been very summerlike this week, with highs in the upper 80s and high humidity. I would rather it be cooler, but I'm not complaining because we had not storms to contend with. Still a little freaked out by a thief stealing one of my coworker's bike in broad daylight the other day, and considering buying a heavier-duty U lock. The one I have is pretty strong but I might as well use a big, strong, heavy lock because I don't carry it with me but leave it locked to the rack at night.
You're making me nervous because I didn't even lock up this morning. I'm the only cyclist here for a stretch of months so I usually don't think about the potential for theft.
Old 05-31-13, 07:42 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The ride in was comfortable today. 70F, a little humid. Kind of not looking forward to the ride home: 85F, and 95% humidity expected. But, I'm jumping in the pool right after the ride.
Old 05-31-13, 08:11 AM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride in was wonderful. 45 degrees F, mild breeze, light traffic, and fairly steady legs from me.

i think i'll climb the local Category 1 ski hill road tomorrow to prep for the century i'm doing next weekend
Old 05-31-13, 08:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,532 Posts
I left my three-speed at the train station last week when I went to Manhattan, and my wife drove me home. I went down there today with the dog. I rode most of the way home, very slowly, in a very low gear, on the sidewalk, holding her leash. It's a very steep hill, and it's very hot, and I didn't want to exhaust the dog. We stopped several times to catch our breath.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-13, 09:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Was heading out early for a long mellow detour but flatted about 2 miles from my house. Patched the flat and then noticed the huge cross-wise slice through the tire. I didn't have a boot in my kit but I was able use an XL size patch to hold it long enough to get home and switch bikes. At this point I just had to come in directly to the office.
Old 05-31-13, 10:28 AM
groovestew

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Added a few K's onto my pre-work-from-home ride this morning because it was so lovely out: sunny, 12C/54F, almost no wind. Got in an extra ravine in a there-and-back ride, and managed about 338 meters/1100 feet of climbing in a 25 km/15.5 mile ride (according to my Garmin 500). Not bad for a flat city.
Old 05-31-13, 11:25 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...and game over! At least for my rear wheel and the latter part of my commute home!

Morning commute to work was uneventful, but on the way back I had a classic Mediterranean grandmother jump/wobble from between two parked vans onto the road, without checking for traffic of course, and ended up right in front of me. At that point I was going pretty much flat-out, on third on the Nexus3 and should have been going around 30 kph in order to catch the green traffic light ahead of me, and because of the panic breaking, I skid the rear wheel to the right and side swiped the curb pretty hard. Luckily I managed not to fall, and the grandmother, totally oblivious to what had happened, wobbled her way to the other side, head down and mumbling something unintelligible.

The actual curb strike had taken it's toll on the rear wheel which was now rubbing the brakes, and about a mile down the road I heard the tell-tale snap of a spoke and the rear wheel froze by touching the inside of the chain-stay.

Hope you all had a better commute today!
Old 05-31-13, 08:07 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Very nice commute home yesterday with a tail wind, managed to slip in between the rain showers that were moving through. This morning, it POURED on me for part of it. Shoes were like swimming pools. But it wasn't too bad. Kept me cool(er) despite the humidity.
Old 05-31-13, 08:50 PM
LeftinFlint

Bikes: '12 C-dale HT; '89 C-dale sr300; Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sticky. Then pouring rain. Then sticky. I loved it.
Old 05-31-13, 08:54 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Very nice commute home yesterday with a tail wind, managed to slip in between the rain showers that were moving through. This morning, it POURED on me for part of it. Shoes were like swimming pools. But it wasn't too bad. Kept me cool(er) despite the humidity.
I have a working understanding of the conditions in which PGSR is pedaling.......keep it up, my friend........
Have fun. Ride a lot. Stay safe.
Hopefully those a little less faint of heart will take up the commute with you..........

Also, for you, almost more than any any other......
Know when to take the lane and when to be a gutter bunny............
Old 06-01-13, 09:46 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
On the way to work yesterday, this happened:

I feel so dirty. In my defense, there is about a 350' elevation delta over about 3/4 of a mile between home and work.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 06-01-13, 09:58 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
I have a working understanding of the conditions in which PGSR is pedaling.......keep it up, my friend........
Have fun. Ride a lot. Stay safe.
Hopefully those a little less faint of heart will take up the commute with you..........

Also, for you, almost more than any any other......
Know when to take the lane and when to be a gutter bunny............
heh I'm out in the lane pretty much all the time. No gutters 'round here for most of the commute. There's really only a couple of uphill stretches that make me nervous when I'm going really slow and cars are behind me.
Old 06-01-13, 02:57 PM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
On the way to work yesterday, this happened:

I feel so dirty. In my defense, there is about a 350' elevation delta over about 3/4 of a mile between home and work.
Nothing inherently wrong with multimodal

It's about alternative transport
Old 06-01-13, 08:00 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The ride in was good, but the ride home was really warm (82F).
Old 06-01-13, 09:08 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
oh hey great news. i found a route to the school where i am teaching summer school, and it's only 2 miles longer than my original ride to my school - and half of it is on a greenway. win!
AND i can start right from home, instead of driving half way to a church parking lot and riding from there - which is what I did for my normal commute.
double win!
i'm back baby! starting tuesday!
Old 06-01-13, 11:13 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
oh hey great news. i found a route to the school where i am teaching summer school, and it's only 2 miles longer than my original ride to my school - and half of it is on a greenway. win!
AND i can start right from home, instead of driving half way to a church parking lot and riding from there - which is what I did for my normal commute.
double win!
i'm back baby! starting tuesday!
If there's a will, there's a way! Happy and safe commuting!
Old 06-03-13, 02:03 AM
dude72

Bikes: N+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first commute in june that felt like a regular november commute. in my opinion the climate change can not be ignored anymore.
Old 06-03-13, 06:01 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet!!!! But warm and really pretty pleasant. Today's good deed was switching the lights off on a colleague's bike in the rack at work.
Old 06-03-13, 06:20 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
50F a little head wind. I left a half hour later than usual and it was light before I got to work. Great nice ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.