Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 02:48 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Today was my first commute in about a month. It had been really windy for a couple weeks, then it got cold and my mini pump broke (got a new one for Christmas) so I didn't want to ride and get stranded after a flat. While I'm proud of myself for finishing out the commute, I don't think I want to do it again any time soon.
Strong head and cross winds plagued me the entire ride in and extended my commute time by nearly 30 minutes. I just put it in an easy gear and spun my way through it. The ride home was cold. My fingers were numb a majority of the ride which led to lots of discomfort towards the end of the ride. 3 miles from home I started to get cramps in both of my calves. That could've slowed me down, but I was amped to get home and open my new camera that the UPS man brought me, so I just grit my teeth and kicked through it. Then about half a mile from my front door, I realized I left a gift for my girlfriend at the office.
I just kept telling myself "a bad day on the bike is still better than great day off it" but I'm not so sure I'd volunteer to do it again.
Old 12-28-06, 08:01 AM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, that was kind of cold. Mid to upper 20's in the northern burbs of Atlanta this morning. I did remember to wear a scarf today. Made it much better than it would have been. Heavy frost on the lawns and cars parked outside.

No jerks to report of this morning. I think they may have been afraid of someone who would be crazy enough to ride a bike in this weather
Old 12-28-06, 08:21 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
40 degrees and breezy out of the south. Looks like rain. Bumpy ride cause my new Conti Sport Contacts don't like the Cane Creek wheels and mounted weird! dammitt.....
Old 12-28-06, 10:08 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We got snow yesterday, so I switched back to the aptly-named snow bike. OMFG, that thing is slooooow. It doesn't help that I've been gorging myself on booze, sugar, fat and meat for the last 6 days, but damn! I thought my legs were going to fall off when I got to work. On the positive side, very few people are working downtown this week, so traffic was light.
Old 12-28-06, 11:57 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
'freezing fog'. Nice and quiet actually.
Old 12-28-06, 01:22 PM
igloomaster
Drumming Bicyclist

Bikes: Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34 degrees and DARK when I hopped on at 5:30am. i don't know what was wrong with me today, but my muscles just felt DEAD. the whole 16 mile ride was like pushing a freakin' rock up a hill.
Old 12-28-06, 03:20 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzzman
People every where I went kept asking me how the riding was "on a day like this."- took me a minute to figure out what they meant.
I know what you mean. I've been too busy in the mornings (new family unit) to don the roadie gear so I've been riding in jeans. I figure I don't need the wind layers just yet so why not. 3.5 miles to work really isn't worth the hassle of changing.
Old 12-28-06, 05:15 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bf,
closing it down for this years commutes (traffic is getting too spastic)!
a good year, total miles so far are 4210.0 dst. will probably get some mountain biking in depending on weather this week-end. keeping the 30 lbs lost since 1/1/06 commute challange (thanks bf)!
i wish all a safe, bicycle inclusive, Happy New Year!
tomg
Old 12-28-06, 06:51 PM
livewirerc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good commute to and from, no problems whatsoever besides a crummy headwind on the long ride home. I hadn't done the long ride in a week and my legs were feeling it by the end.
Old 12-28-06, 08:26 PM
buzzman
----

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
still off from work so used the bike for errand commuting. Racked up about 30 miles going to stores etc...

It's fun using the bike in such a utilitarian fashion when I have less obligations to time. I can occasionally stop on the bike path and look out at the river or stop for a sandwich- it's so civilized.

Even did my grocery shopping at the end of the ride.

I got new mittens for $6.99 at the Christmas Tree shop. they are polar fleece and the top part of the mitten folds back to the wrist to expose the fingers- like a biking glove- so I can lock the bike and dial a cell phone without removing the mittens. I should have bought 10 pairs- they're perfect.
Old 12-29-06, 12:45 AM
Mazaev

Bikes: '05 Fuji Silhouette, '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp, '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the way home in the morning, I kept feeling like something was wrong, like something is slowing me down, but couldn't quite figure it. Was in such a bad mood as a result too. Tonight, on the way out, I'm all dressed and about to be out the door when I notice that the rear tire is completely flat. I can't believe I didn't notice that this was the problem in the morning.

Still, this was my first flat on this bike (about 800 miles in total, 4th week of commuting) and my first time changing a tube since I was 8 and I was glad that I was prepared. As mentioned in quite a few commuting articles, I was glad that I could do my first in a warm, well lit room instead of freezing my ass off in the dark.

Lessons learned: Keep a pair of latex gloves in the seatbag; that grease and dirt does not come off easily.

The rest of the way in was quite pleasant, with an added feel-good sensation stemming from the fact that I didn't say "Screw it" and cage it. Dressed lighter then usual for the 45 degree weather which turned out well. That entirely-too-expensive Descente wind-layer base I got a couple weeks back is really turning out great for this weather with just a single layer on top.
Old 12-29-06, 01:31 AM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cold.
Old 12-29-06, 07:34 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a nice change of pace this morning. I hooked up with two other guys from my Bike Commuter's Meetup and we all rode to my office together! It's a new monthy feature we're starting where we turn one person's commute into a group ride for whoever else wants to come along. It's nice not to be alone for once, and gives us all a taste of each other's commute. It was sunny with a temp in the low 20's F.
Old 12-29-06, 07:35 AM
luckysnafu

Bikes: Felt F85 (2007), Fuji Regis (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last commute for the year for me and what happens, I lose one of my rear blinky lights I got to work and went to turn the two off I had running only to find that one of them wasn't there anymore. I will have to look for it on my way home. I didn't hear it come off so I am hoping maybe it came off when I went through the golf course and it is still there. Nice and cold this morning with temps in the low 30s. Should be sunny and in the low 60s for the ride home.
Old 12-29-06, 08:22 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice ride in this morning. Kept pace with a fellow roadie who cranked it up once I caught him. I'm still riding in jeans so he must have thought I was a casual commuter or a courier with a mini-pump sticking out my backpack. SPD-SL pedals, PI warmers, high cadence, helmet and gears should have been a give aways .
Old 12-29-06, 08:36 AM
Relaxer
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride this morning. 37 degrees in our nation's capital and clear blue skies and sun. Plus, the traffic has been great all week, not too many cars and stressed-out drivers, but just enough to keep it interesting. I wish it could be like this all the time.
Old 12-29-06, 08:45 AM
-JP-

Bikes: Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tricky ride for me this morning from Grantham to Stoke Rochford (Lincs, UK) - wind was against me most of the way and it was wet too.

Mind, if the wind hasn't changed direction, I will simply fly home!
Old 12-29-06, 09:37 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -JP-

Those are some of my favorite days ! ( LIKE TODAY !!! )
Old 12-29-06, 11:19 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice leisurely ride in this morning with temps in the mid 30's and dry. This is my fourth or fifth week in a row of "all ride" weeks (which wins me dinner tonight) and next week should be any easy one with another Monday off. Had a fun trip home yesterday trying to hang with another rider. I used to see this guy all the time but rarely do now since our hours are so different. I can keep up with him as long as I'm drafting but as soon as I take the lead he pushes even harder. This guy only knows one speed (full speed) he's out of the seat hammering every hill and going hard the rest of the time. I can out sprint him in short bursts here and there but he can keep going hard the whole time. While we were chatting I discovered that, although he's similar in size to me, he weighs about 50 pounds less-the difference in strength to weight is more evident with him than other riders. Even though he hands me my @$$ on a platter ever time we ride together, it's good training for me and a lot of fun. I exit the trail before he does and wait until he's out of sight to hang my head, catch my breath, and coast toward recovery.
Old 12-29-06, 12:11 PM
gizem310
Mutt Owner

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
Nice leisurely ride in this morning with temps in the mid 30's and dry. This is my fourth or fifth week in a row of "all ride" weeks (which wins me dinner tonight) and next week should be any easy one with another Monday off. Had a fun trip home yesterday trying to hang with another rider. I used to see this guy all the time but rarely do now since our hours are so different. I can keep up with him as long as I'm drafting but as soon as I take the lead he pushes even harder. This guy only knows one speed (full speed) he's out of the seat hammering every hill and going hard the rest of the time. I can out sprint him in short bursts here and there but he can keep going hard the whole time. While we were chatting I discovered that, although he's similar in size to me, he weighs about 50 pounds less-the difference in strength to weight is more evident with him than other riders. Even though he hands me my @$$ on a platter ever time we ride together, it's good training for me and a lot of fun. I exit the trail before he does and wait until he's out of sight to hang my head, catch my breath, and coast toward recovery.
That was a neat story.
Good ride to work this morning, hooked up the trailer and brought Smokey to work. Stopped by at the farmer's market and bought groceries, which were loaded in the trailer next to Smokey. Arrived work about an hour late but the boss is out of town, sweet! Planning on going on another ride on my lunch break at the beach.
Old 12-29-06, 12:37 PM
-JP-

Bikes: Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
Originally Posted by -JP-
Those are some of my favorite days ! ( LIKE TODAY !!! )

I did fly as well. Back in 55 minutes.
Old 12-29-06, 02:11 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After a month off (cold, sinus infection, new job) I'm back for the last commute this year. After a very long slow and tiring haul I realized I was half way to work. I did make it, however, the sun was out, the air brisk and life is good.

cheers
Old 12-29-06, 02:52 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GWAR!!! 'Twas bloody cold this morning! There were even fewer people on the road today than yesterday. I think somebody might have tooted their horn at me when I was going through downtown, but I gignored them and they went away.
Old 12-29-06, 10:28 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32F going in this morning. 33F coming home. From what I understand it got in the 50's today, but these long workdays keep sunshine a vague memory. Only got buzzed once today. I twas one of those slooooow passes trying to intimidate me, so I ignored it and went on. It's so much easier not to sweat the little stuff.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 12-30-06, 06:59 PM
buzzman
----

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
still on a break from work so my daily bike rides are errand runs or to visit friends etc.

Great ride today- I left a favorite hat at a friends, who lives about 6 miles away but I decided to piece together a bike path loop that turned it into a fantastic 25 mile ride on a snowy evening.

Tonight was the first night I've really needed the studded snows all winter. Linking up the MDC bike path that starts in Newton and then I cut over to Cambridge, a couple of miles on nice little side streets, then picked up the path into Arlington and found the little gate off the bike path to my friends street.

Nice to roll along the river and through the back yards on a nice wide empty MUP.

Came back into my little village, bought a 6 pack of beer and some fish and chips to go and came home.

A perfect night- and I got my hat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.