Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So much resistance to change

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So much resistance to change

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 09:08 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The troll has achieved six pages and counting.
I am picturing him with a big sheet of troll stickers, probably something he bought to give to his grandkids, and he sticks one on his recumbent bike each time a thread makes it to six pages.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-12-23, 09:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8378 Post(s)
Liked 9,255 Times in 4,550 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What are shift forks? Can you provide a diagram of where those exist on a bicycle?

Maybe try sorting out what kind of vehicle you want to talk about, and stick to just that vehicle, when you offer up unsolicited and really mediocre advice.
Originally Posted by big john
Maybe it's some sort of algorithm and it's responding to the thread title and it interpreted "resistance to change" as hard to change gears?
BF member Kapusta informed me about "Chat GPT", an AI conversational tool. I read about it and it sounds exactly like the post you questioned.

What is ChatGPT and why does it matter? Here's what you need to know | ZDNET
Old 01-12-23, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11050 Post(s)
Liked 7,599 Times in 4,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What are shift forks? Can you provide a diagram of where those exist on a bicycle?

Maybe try sorting out what kind of vehicle you want to talk about, and stick to just that vehicle, when you offer up unsolicited and really mediocre advice.
BF member Kapusta informed me about "Chat GPT", an AI conversational tool. I read about it and it sounds exactly like the post you questioned.

Check out the poster's youtube channel that they openly advertise in their profile.
https://www.youtube.com/@themountbike456

It looks to just be some words that are 90% applicable and accurate, and a program that reads it all.

I am only 42 and this world has passed me by.
Old 01-12-23, 09:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Check out the poster's youtube channel that they openly advertise in their profile.

It looks to just be some words that are 90% applicable and accurate, and a program that reads it all.

During the last few years of my career as a college professor, students started using these translator websites… You plug in a sentence, or a paragraph, or an entire paper, and it essentially uses a thesaurus program to change a bunch of the words – – so that it has the same ultimate meaning, but in different language. But it makes the material very weird, cumbersome to read, hard to decipher. I didn’t really know what I was seeing until a colleague told me about these websites. The end goal, of course, was to plagiarize without getting caught by an online text search or any of our other tools.

AI works to a degree, but it usually gives you something that clearly looks like it was not written by a human being.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-12-23, 10:10 AM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
What is it about the cycling community that is so resistance to change, and have such narrow minded attitudes. You can go back to 1934 when bents were banned from racing, because just one guy was winning all the races and time trials. Or maybe further back to about 1890 when the "safety bike" superseded the penny-farthling. Then come forward to the middle 80s when click shifting came out, most roadies claimed they would never use it. Also in that time frame mountain bikes were scoffed at in the beginning. Closer to this time frame, disc brakes were roundly put down, and some made it sound like in a crash, riders would be slashed so bad they would never ride again!!!! And lastly the huge out cry against bikes and trikes with electric motors. IMO almost all these things I have mentioned are huge advances, because it makes bikes better, easer to use for more people, safer, and increases the number of people that cycle.

Then we have the question of just who is a cyclist. The really hard core claim that unless you ride a $5000 bike, and have $500 kit you really are not a cyclist. IMO ANYONE that pedals a 1, 2, 3, or a 4 wheel machine is a cyclist. That includes little Susie and her sidewalk bike with training wheels.

So what are the thots of others on the forum???
I agree. My favorite thing to do is take my stealth ebike on the MUP and greviously drop those luddites riding analog bikes.

Last edited by kommisar; 01-12-23 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 10:37 AM
big john

Quoted: 8378 Post(s)
Liked 9,255 Times in 4,550 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

"It puts pressure on the brake lever, and the bike stops eventually". Sounds like the perfect brake system to me.

"Article Title: How does Tubeless Tires Work? Description: A tubeless tire looks like your average tire, except it requires no extra tubing. After its placement, it automatically snaps into place without any hassle. You confirm the order by using latex"

Be sure to confirm the order by using Latex.

Last edited by big john; 01-12-23 at 10:41 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-12-23, 11:44 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 618 Posts
"It puts pressure on the brake lever, and the bike stops eventually". Sounds like the perfect brake system to me.

"Article Title: How does Tubeless Tires Work? Description: A tubeless tire looks like your average tire, except it requires no extra tubing. After its placement, it automatically snaps into place without any hassle. You confirm the order by using latex"

Be sure to confirm the order by using Latex.
Family forum.
Reported.
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-12-23, 12:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I am a music teachers and am always amused at how much criticism new forms of music meet, so I don't think resistance to change is unique to cycling.
So called music these days is not music at all, it mainly someone screaming with a LOUD background to cover him up. If there is no melody, there is NO music.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-12-23, 12:35 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredo76

John on the Rillito path in Tucson

My friend in Tucson rides a recumbent. He's a serious cyclist.
Where is the **** grin**********
Old 01-12-23, 12:36 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 470 Posts
Trolling for Trolls

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The troll has achieved six pages and counting.
All from trolling, for trolls! Most of the trolls currently at BF have shown up. Success!
Old 01-12-23, 12:37 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Koyote
During the last few years of my career as a college professor, students started using these translator websites… You plug in a sentence, or a paragraph, or an entire paper, and it essentially uses a thesaurus program to change a bunch of the words – – so that it has the same ultimate meaning, but in different language. But it makes the material very weird, cumbersome to read, hard to decipher. I didn’t really know what I was seeing until a colleague told me about these websites. The end goal, of course, was to plagiarize without getting caught by an online text search or any of our other tools.

AI works to a degree, but it usually gives you something that clearly looks like it was not written by a human being.
College papers are stupid. Copy one source and you are plagiarizing, copy several and they laughingly call it research. What is the difference if you copy one or many.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-12-23 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-12-23, 12:37 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Where is the **** grin**********
I told you he was serious!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-12-23, 12:41 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
So called music these days is not music at all, it mainly someone screaming with a LOUD background to cover him up. If there is no melody, there is NO music.
OK boomer.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-12-23, 12:43 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Kontact
No squealing, rapid pad wear, problems with piston centering? The people who use their brakes often put up with a lot more than you do and much more often than once a year. Pads lasting 2-3 months is common with many riders that I work with.

Everything seems to work well if you don't use it all that much.
My t**** has disc brakes, and has approx 12,000 miles on it, and I have yet to change the pads. And----------------in all of those miles, I have not had to fuss with them much at all. They are just there, and they work great, and they are not even a high end brand name.
Old 01-12-23, 12:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 4009 Post(s)
Liked 7,507 Times in 3,024 Posts
He's in the wrong lane.
That looks to be near Santa Fe. I love Santa Fe, but my experience is that the cyclists there are a little more lax with the rules of the road. Luckily, the drivers seem to be very patient and courteous.
Old 01-12-23, 12:45 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I am a music teachers and am always amused at how much criticism new forms of music meet, so I don't think resistance to change is unique to cycling.
It sure isn't. So many people I know only like one kind of music - the stuff that was playing on the radio when they were teenagers!

There is just so much more good music out there!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-12-23, 12:48 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That looks to be near Santa Fe. I love Santa Fe, but my experience is that the cyclists there are a little more lax with the rules of the road. Luckily, the drivers seem to be very patient and courteous.
The picture was taken in Tucson. There are plenty of aggressive drivers in Santa Fe, but not as many as in Los Alamos, which is downright treacherous because of impatient, entitled drivers.
Old 01-12-23, 12:48 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Watch some video of vintage, pre-1985 TDF. There are no "cables flapping in the wind."
The only cables I've ever seen flapping in the wind are broken ones. Come to think of it, they don't flap in the wind, they just dangle there.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-12-23, 12:50 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Lombard
OK boomer.
Make that pre-boomer, I was born in the late 30s, when they were still using good stuff. That is why I can still put on 2 to 3000 miles a year.
Old 01-12-23, 12:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,207 Times in 4,784 Posts
College papers are stupid. Copy one source and you are plagiarizing, copy several and they laughingly call it research. What is the difference if you copy one or many.
uh huh.
Old 01-12-23, 01:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5050 Post(s)
Liked 8,318 Times in 3,928 Posts
How much time have you spent listening to a variety of current music styles to come to this conclusion?

Nevernind. Your attitude comes as no surprise. Zero.
Old 01-12-23, 01:01 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 707 Posts
If there is no melody, there is NO music.
Makes me want to buy you a recording of John Cage’s 4’33”

Seriously though, there’s more out there than what you’re whining about.
https://youtu.be/ZnRxTW8GxT8
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 01-12-23, 01:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 4009 Post(s)
Liked 7,507 Times in 3,024 Posts
You clearly don't understand the difference between citing other material and plagiarizing other material.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 01:06 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If you don't know the difference, it's not the college papers that are stupid.

Don't you have some clouds to yell at?

Last edited by Rolla; 01-12-23 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-12-23, 01:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3924 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,256 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I we could go back to rotary dial phones, tube TVs, floppy disk drives and reel to reel tapes. They were so much better.
I wish we could go back to album-oriented '70s rock on the radio that was part of the collective conscious, $0.60 gallon gas, and $100 Sears department store bike boom road bikes that lasted forever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.