Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 08:22 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Took the day off because it is my son's birthday today. He turns 2.
But still managed to get out on my "other" bike and put some miles on it. I need to build some trust with that bike.
Even though I didnt commute today, I felt like checking this thread out to see how everyone else's commute went
Old 07-28-17, 08:57 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
52F, overcast
Old 07-28-17, 09:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,010 Times in 1,257 Posts
Light rain when I left the house, got progressively heavier. Glad I arrived when I did, now it's pouring!

Light rain, dark skies; I wanted to have a backup blinky just in case. Well, the USB light I charged overnight didn't hold the charge, and it's been too long since daylight time started for the other one to have any charge left at all. One battery-operated blinky still worked, and of course the dyno lights were bright. Still got one smart aleck who felt compelled to yell, "Mumble bumble wet..."
Old 07-28-17, 02:10 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Another really good day. Abeit a bit more humid than earluer this week. The cool temp and low hunidity on Tuesday was sublime. I felt like I could ride a gear higher and I did at most points. I rode from home Tuesday and Thursday. So ~160 miles for me this week. Yeeay.
Old 07-28-17, 05:41 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful weather again! So many commuters out. Love it.
Old 07-28-17, 08:46 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A co-worker asked a question this morning, that I actually had to think about for a second or two. Do you bike commute just to get to work, or because you really like to bike?

Habitually, I'd answer without a second thought, I do it for fun. But after that many commutes, yeah sometimes I'm just getting to work. A little bit of both.
Old 07-31-17, 05:29 AM
Amitoj

54F today morning when I left the house. By evening, it will rise up to 86F!
I took a shorter route today. It goes through Nashua downtown and shaves off 7 miles from my usual route. I didn't enjoy it as much as my normal route though. Too many traffic lights.
Old 07-31-17, 06:39 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
We finally got that break in humidity over the weekend. Sunday was beautiful and I got out for a 20 mile leisure ride. Most of my rides fit in the transportation category, so it's nice to just ride once in a while. It was so much fun I made a smile on the map.

A nice cool morning at 61F and continued low humidity. Felt like fall. Loved it.

I did have one lady not yield in a round-about this morning. I was plenty visible but she just kept going with her coffee cup in hand looking at me as I shook my head at her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
map-smile.jpg (22.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-31-17, 07:09 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a beautiful day to commute... 59F out the door this morning! I haven't commuted much the last two weeks because of my work/travel schedule, so this was a very nice way to get back into commuting rhythm.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pp3IFCeYv0vRsQDv1
Old 07-31-17, 07:29 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 186 Times in 120 Posts
Only rode 175 miles in July. Lowest mileage July I've had in years.

The good news is I still rode every single day I went to work. I just took a lot of time off this month for various reasons.
Old 07-31-17, 07:45 AM
JDinTulsa

Bikes: Priority Continuum; Azuki Gran Sports

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
My first day to ride to work in almost a month! Me and the heat/humidity don't get along well, so I've only been riding to the gym before work. We're finally getting a break from the heat, so I hope to get back on my schedule of riding to work 3 days a week. Hopefully the weather-guesser is right and we won't get above 90 all week! It's been almost 100 for over 2 weeks!
I did get a nice surprise today though! There was a nice, new layer of asphalt on the worst section of my route! Between that and catching about half of the stop lights green, I was smiling when I got to work today!
Old 07-31-17, 08:41 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I came whipping around a corner this morning, taking the turn a bit wider than I should, and low and behold, there comes a car. So, I had to lock em up and slide over to the right. I cringed, not because of the near miss, but because I knew what sliding like that must have done to my tire, which has about 4000 miles on it.

Sure enough. Looking at it when I got to work showed a nasty gouge and a big bare spot where the threads now showed through. Damn! I was hoping to get at least two more weeks out of that tire. Now, I have to change it tonight...if I even make it home.
Old 07-31-17, 08:43 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A co-worker asked a question this morning, that I actually had to think about for a second or two. Do you bike commute just to get to work, or because you really like to bike?

Habitually, I'd answer without a second thought, I do it for fun. But after that many commutes, yeah sometimes I'm just getting to work. A little bit of both.
For me, I think its: Feel good keeping in shape, like to bike, avoid bus/train issues, meet other cycling peeps, get to work.

It was another really nice ride into work from home today. Nice and cool at ~70F. My left crankarm started creaking more this morning. It just needs to be removed and cleaned. I also put some blue locktite on the crank bolts. But they still seem to come loose after a day or two. I also think I have more issues with this Token BB (as opposed to the Campy BB). The crank bolt is missing a washer on the token one so that might help explain the boot loosening.

Last edited by ptempel; 07-31-17 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 09:54 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
I saw one of our itinerant tenants yesterday, parked in front of the grocery store, with bar-ends mounted inboard as hooks for his crutches. But can he ride the bike? Dunno. Are they a prop in the one sense, or the other?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-31-17, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,643 Times in 1,534 Posts
The weather forecast sounded like it was saying I'd be a fool not to ride in. I think I broke my record again today, riding into work. I'm on fire.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-31-17, 11:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
No commute today, compressed schedule required in the morning. No commute tomorrow, dentist appointment at lunch time.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-01-17, 06:32 AM
Amitoj

Yesterday I rode back through the shorter route as well, the one that takes me through downtown. It was NOT at all enjoyable. Bad roads, worse sidewalk, ton of traffic lights and impatient drivers. Went back to my 17.5 mile route today morning. Nice cool 65F weather.
Old 08-01-17, 07:06 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A good morning ride for 16+ miles. Still really nice out with temps in the low 60s and low humidity. I'm not sure when it will be back to normal, but I'm enjoying it while I can.
Old 08-01-17, 09:06 AM
pdlamb

Beautiful morning for a ride, cool and clear. It's also the last day before school starts, so I took the long way in for the first time in a while. Road construction had badly screwed up that long route, but they finished the part I take over the weekend.

Re: school. What's up with starting so early? We only started before Labor Day one time that I can remember, and that's because Labor Day was the 7th that year.
Old 08-01-17, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by baron von trail
I came whipping around a corner this morning, taking the turn a bit wider than I should, and low and behold, there comes a car. So, I had to lock em up and slide over to the right. I cringed, not because of the near miss, but because I knew what sliding like that must have done to my tire, which has about 4000 miles on it.

Sure enough. Looking at it when I got to work showed a nasty gouge and a big bare spot where the threads now showed through. Damn! I was hoping to get at least two more weeks out of that tire. Now, I have to change it tonight...if I even make it home.

Don't keep us in suspense -- did that bald, worse than bald, tire get you home last night?
Old 08-01-17, 09:17 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
51F hazy. Supposed to hit 90s every day this week, triple digits Thursday.
Old 08-01-17, 10:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

The hills have never felt so easy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-01-17, 12:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I visited my daughter in Brooklyn on Sunday night. They don't live in the Citi Bike service area, but I didn't want to spend over an hour on the subway going home, so I walked about 35 minutes to the nearest Citi Bike docking station and then rode the 7 miles home from there. It was a lovely night, and spending it underground didn't seem like a good idea. I was rewarded a bike in good condition with a NuVinci continuously variable ratio hub. The bikes are tanks, so I have to be careful not to pedal too hard and tire myself out. My walk was along the edge of Prospect Park, and I see a raccoon at one point and a pair of raccoons at another point! Overall, it was a long trip, but it was very pleasant, which included crossing the East River on the Manhattan Bridge.

Old 08-01-17, 02:29 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Great weather on the way in, and I saw a pair of roadies today as I rode through an intersection where I usually have to stop too! Pretty unusual
Old 08-01-17, 05:32 PM
Amitoj

Hot weather on the way back. Phew. 96 degrees! BUT, this is only the second day that I have averaged 18 - 18.1 mph both ways!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.