Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 06:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
I last rode Mar 19, when I thought I was getting over my cold. Before that it was Mar 7, when I thought I was getting over my cold that probably started at the beginning of March.

I skipped riding on Tuesday when I had time because I slept instead. I skipped today because I was exhausted, even though I wasn't working.

My bike riding has really taken a dive.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-23-17, 11:55 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Dealer update, asked the guy today about the mileage discrepancy when I was there getting the detailing done. I don't thing it was nefarious per se but i was really curious, why the extra 15?? He said he got it mixed up with other car basically.

He also apologized profusely for having us drive down yesterday for one price then offering another. Call me naive, but I believe him.

So for locals, DGDG is legit is far as I'm concerned! When I go buy an electric Golf in a few years, it'll be from them.

my race videos
Old 03-23-17, 11:58 PM
mattm
**** that

In other news, I'm headed back to 'bama on Saturday for the 3rd time in like 2 months.. and there aren't even any races in the area until May!!

Hopefully for just a week or two.

my race videos
Old 03-24-17, 04:01 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Did you check Pensacola too?

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-24-17, 06:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
In other news, I'm headed back to 'bama on Saturday for the 3rd time in like 2 months.. and there aren't even any races in the area until May!!

Sunny King is April 8. It's a bit of a drive, but it is a huge race.

Also, there's a velodrome in Baton Rouge, again a decent drive, but you could get on the track.
Old 03-24-17, 07:06 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

Sunny King and Ft. McClellan PRTs are in two weeks in Anniston. Noticed some of the California teams are lining up this year.

And on April 1,2 near Nashville we have an awesome road race and then crit. Probably our best weekend of racing of the year.

Bring your bike if possible. Two of the best weekends of the year coming up.
Old 03-24-17, 07:17 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
And on April 1,2 near Nashville we have an awesome road race and then crit. Probably our best weekend of racing of the year.
Nashville is kind of a long drive from Mobile.
Old 03-24-17, 09:05 AM
mattm
**** that

Ah, Sunny King! I did forget about that.. I'm bringing the bike for local riding, and would totally make the trek over to Anniston if I'm still there when it happens.

Ah **** just looked up Anniston, I thought it was closer to Enterprise, maybe 2.5 hours away. A hefty 4 hours away but I know that's a huge race so we'll see.

my race videos
Old 03-24-17, 09:57 AM
topflightpro

Ah, Sunny King! I did forget about that.. I'm bringing the bike for local riding, and would totally make the trek over to Anniston if I'm still there when it happens.

Ah **** just looked up Anniston, I thought it was closer to Enterprise, maybe 2.5 hours away. A hefty 4 hours away but I know that's a huge race so we'll see.
I think Sunny King is big enough to justify a 4-hour drive.
Old 03-25-17, 11:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think Sunny King is big enough to justify a 4-hour drive.
How long is the drive for you, and why aren't you doing it??

my race videos
Old 03-26-17, 12:20 AM
topflightpro

How long is the drive for you, and why aren't you doing it??
It's two states away and over 7 hours afor me. And I'm not eligible for the Sunday race.
Old 03-26-17, 07:30 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
It's two states away and over 7 hours afor me. And I'm not eligible for the Sunday race.
It's a bit of a shame they don't offer the RR for other categories. It's a beast. Main finishing climb is about 5 mins long and is like 15% +. Pure grinding in a 39x28. Really need a 36x28 for that one. I set a 5 min lifetime pr while getting dropped on that climb. On the first lap.

62 mph descent straight after, then some long flattish sections, another lesser grade five minute climb and then you start all over again.

It's... tough. It just shatters after the second or third lap. Maybe it'll stick together a bit more this year. Hincapie went 1-4 or something ridiculous last year.

Bonus MattM: if you register for the RR and the Crit, it's only 70 bucks for the pair, versus like $50 each if you only do one or the other.
Old 03-26-17, 07:33 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8393 Post(s)
Liked 9,305 Times in 4,566 Posts
As a larger rider, I tend to attract wheelsuckers, which I don't mind so much until they start telling me what to do. Yesterday one tells me to "close that gap". You've been sitting on all day, you close the gap, dick.

Anybody watch Supercross? John Tomac's son Eli looks great this year.
Old 03-26-17, 10:53 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Bonus MattM: if you register for the RR and the Crit, it's only 70 bucks for the pair, versus like $50 each if you only do one or the other.
Thanks for the tip - but I'm highly doubting I'll do the race, even if I was still down here when it happens.

It's one thing to show up for a 'big' crit as a 2/3/4/5 or masters, but a weekend warrior cat 1 like me showing up to a BIG p/1 race like Sunny King?! lol

Maybe I'll work up the balls to do that or Manhattan Beach/Dana Point some day.. maybe.

my race videos
Old 03-27-17, 06:43 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a few hours for anyone to make a comment yesterday. Apparently my neck would list to starboard every so often. Claimed I must have slept wrong to avoid a tiresome and lengthy conversation. This morning I'm still reaching for the perfect crosswind/crossfit comeback to turn the tables on not being able to shut up about it.

Last edited by miyata man; 03-27-17 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-27-17, 07:33 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Picked up a rental car while my car is in the body shop getting fixed.

This Corolla I will be driving is going to make my Maxima feel like a damned race car when I get it back
Old 03-27-17, 07:39 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks for the tip - but I'm highly doubting I'll do the race, even if I was still down here when it happens.

It's one thing to show up for a 'big' crit as a 2/3/4/5 or masters, but a weekend warrior cat 1 like me showing up to a BIG p/1 race like Sunny King?! lol

Maybe I'll work up the balls to do that or Manhattan Beach/Dana Point some day.. maybe.
All the Southern hot shots show up to Sunny King. Sure, they almost all eventually get dropped and pulled, but it's an experience, and if you're just hanging on at the back you won't cause too much trouble.

I did Sunny King as a 3 a few years ago and had an utterly atrocious race for a few reasons, but it's a fantastic event. Well worth attending. Not quite as good as Athens Twilight (for one thing, there's a lot more to do in Athens before the race), but pretty damn close.
Old 03-27-17, 08:06 AM
topflightpro

Did you race Athens?

I went to grad school there, so I was among the many spectators for the race. But I didn't really ride bikes then. I keep saying I'm going to go back and race, but things always seem to come up.

I want to do Roswell too, considering I grew up 15 min. from the course.
Old 03-27-17, 09:20 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Took a few hours for anyone to make a comment yesterday. Apparently my neck would list to starboard every so often. Claimed I must have slept wrong to avoid a tiresome and lengthy conversation. This morning I'm still reaching for the perfect crosswind/crossfit comeback to turn the tables on not being able to shut up about it.
An auspicious zephyr will free you from the shackles of nautical torticollis within a fortnight.
Old 03-27-17, 09:53 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Puppy Doge gets back tonight for Spring break. I had to borrow alloy cllinchers (need 20mm) from mom's bike for his training rides through the SoCal gutters (to be fair - natural thorns too). Wow they are heavy. Mom just noticed that when we changed the wheels.
Old 03-27-17, 12:26 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by grolby
but it's an experience, and if you're just hanging on at the back you won't cause too much trouble.
That's what I'm saying though - doing a night time p/1 big money crit, on the front or the back, might not be worth "the experience" if you're not prepared to crash. It's just not the same as doing a "big" crit as a 2/3/4/5 or masters, at all. (Granted, I haven't done a p/1 NRC crit, but have done elite nationals and San Dimas P/1)

Tailgunning something like that seems like a recipe to get caught behind (if not part of) each and every crash that would happen in the race.. and it's at night.. and UHC is on the front..

But yes I agree it would be fun, assuming one could survive something like that.

my race videos
Old 03-27-17, 12:43 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I agree...having done a night crit which was technically open to 2's but was mostly p/1 bros prepping for the following day's NCC race, you really need to throw the idea of self preservation out the window. I was OTB with the other sane bros pretty quickly and it was a fairly standard 4 corner affair. You really can't just surf in the back and expect to survive, dive bombers create gaps, watched dudes go flying into the metal fencing, dudes clipping pedals every lap, yadda yadda...

An NCC level twilight crit has to be beyond bonkers.
Old 03-27-17, 01:14 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.. and UHC is on the front..
i thought they disbanded their crit team for this season?
Old 03-27-17, 01:22 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what I'm saying though - doing a night time p/1 big money crit, on the front or the back, might not be worth "the experience" if you're not prepared to crash. It's just not the same as doing a "big" crit as a 2/3/4/5 or masters, at all. (Granted, I haven't done a p/1 NRC crit, but have done elite nationals and San Dimas P/1)

Tailgunning something like that seems like a recipe to get caught behind (if not part of) each and every crash that would happen in the race.. and it's at night.. and UHC is on the front..

But yes I agree it would be fun, assuming one could survive something like that.

Paging @Racer Ex... I seem to recall a story about tailgunning Tulsa P/1 on Friday night.
Old 03-27-17, 01:32 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One of the few memories I have from my one twilight crit (Tour de Nez) was seeing the sparks fly when the rider in front of me clipped his pedal en route to crashing and breaking his hip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.